MaskedRetriever

CLONK, I say, CLONK!

DRAGONS!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Zedd

Im surpizes she didnt leave him brusies

Aridas

Narethlian

MMkay.  Answers! And as it says, more questions!  So, how does Pyro fit into this.  Is he on Dan's side, or is he on the other Dragons' side?  Is what he said about Dan's grandson true?  Since Pyro's not taken any action against Dan in the months he's been in Lost Lake(which would have given him ample time to do so), I'm guessing he has a major part to play, but in Dan's defense. 

Destania knows.  She's likely in sporadic contact with SAIA.  Then it means Fa'Lina knew.  And thus Abel?  It does at least fully explain Abel's reaction to Pyro. But then...

*stops self as brain hurts*  Later.  Wait and See.

Congratulations Amber, my mind hurts from possibility processing overload.  Not many people can claim that.  This could LITERALLY go anywhere.

-Nar

Anri

Quote from: Narethlian on December 19, 2006, 02:21:39 AM
Destania knows.  She's likely in sporadic contact with SAIA.  Then it means Fa'Lina knew.  And thus Abel?  It does at least fully explain Abel's reaction to Pyro. But then...

And we still got Fi who is probably on the way to see Fa'Lina if not already there. o_O

Cogidubnus

There is only one thing that can be said in response to this.

>:3

Supercheese

Aha! It's another dragon conspiracy - just like the liberal news media conspiracy and the UFO conspiracy!

Manawolf

I know the ancient living races tend to become knowledge buffs (what else is there to do when you have millenia to live), but do they have to become so evil in the process of learning the workings of the world and growing cold and calculating in their old age?

Roureem Egas

I'll just echo Nareth's first bit and say Biggs has no idea of Pryoduck's identity.

Madd the Sane

Wow! That was the most exposition I've ever seen in one of Amber's comics before!  Yay, Exposition.
Wait, maybe not.  It just seems that way  :erk

As Narethlian pointed out, this will open a whole new can of worms.  and also make WikuWiki members scramble to post this information.  And since P-duck hasn't acted, or no other dragons have bombarded Lost Lake, we can assume that he doesn't give a hoot.  Not to mention Alexi would skin him alive if he did.  :kruger

...and Wildy will beat this information out of Biggs, tell Dan, Dan will go on an adventure with everyone, and save his dad from certain doom!  :mwaha
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Reese Tora

hmm... cubi, dragons, plan...

All of a sudden, Pyroduck's presence is starting to seem very T800 to me.

"Come with me if you want to live." >:3

Dan: You're not here to kill me - I figured out that for myself. So what's the deal?
Pyroduck: My mission is to protect you.
Dan: Yeah? Who sent you?
Pyroduck: You did. 35 years from now you reprogrammed me to be your protector here - in this time.
Dan: This is deep...
(yay for IMBD)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Narethlian on December 19, 2006, 02:21:39 AM

*stops self as brain hurts*  Later.  Wait and See.

Considering Abel's face-to-face reactions to Pyro (and not initially hunting him down before),  I say Abel didn't know. Aary almost realized but was distracted (excellent strategy, distracting her with a cubi question :mowninja). Fa'lina probably didn't know (until Fi was sent), otherwise she might have given Abel specific orders one way or another. And I also doubt Dee knows his race (or even his name as a mere resident or visitor). He's been keeping a low profile as far as I've seen.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

superluser

So, wait.

What does this make Pyroduck?

I suspect that Destania knows about Pyro from when they were last in Twink Territories, either from seeing him with Dan herself, or from the guy (affiliated with Biggs) who sold Pyro the map.  Or from Alexsi.

That must mean that Pyro isn't a threat to Dan, and Destania knows it.

Now, what do we have here.  Dragons have kidnapped Edward, so this is presumably *not* simply a `cubi thing.  They want to kill Ed, for unspecified reasons, so it's probably not a ransom kidnapping.  If Dan's posterity really does hold a great leader, then it's likely that Alexsi's mother was killed by them, too.

The issue is that they must make sure that the significant other isn't pregnant, and that's probably why he's still alive--to find out where Destania is.

Now, if I were Edward, and I was told that my child was fated to be a great leader but that people were trying to prevent him from being born, then I would probably start heading out for some prostitutes.

Of course, if a legendary creature known for trying to have sex with people popped up in my bar, I might try that, too.  This would explain his behavior in 297.  This probably means that Alexsi doesn't know what's going on.

Let's look at this from the other side, now.  Both Abel and Aary know about the Dragon/Dan thing.  Even though *neither* of them knew that Dan existed.  To them, this must be a Cyra clan thing, since Aaryanna is a feline succubus, and Abel *didn't* say ``there's no way she's let a dragon go anywhere near *her*.''  Alternate explanations: it could be Dan's age, or his sex, or the fact that he's a `cubi/being hybrid.  The latter two are also true of Abel, but Abel was talking about the past.

Perhaps the `assignment' that Destania left on was to find Edward and have a child by him.  It wouldn't explain why she didn't come back. 

Presumably, Aary, as an older student who started early at SAIA, would have been told about the plan to have Edward Ti'Fiona's son if Abel were told about it.  If Aary knew that Dee had left to find and Edward Ti'Fiona, and then found out that the life of Destania had ended at the hands of a Daniel Ti'Fiona, she would probably have looked into it a little deeper, especially since she would have had a lead back at the academy.

And since Abel seems to know about the importance of Edward Ti'Fiona's son, the information must have come out either in his private tutoring or after Aary left.

I can see it now--the dragons attack SAIA, expecting to find Destania returned, but she's not there.  Rumors start spreading about why Dee left, and shortly the truth comes out.

Oh, and once again, I must say that if Destania had had contact with SAIA, she would have told them about Dan.  Furthermore, 25 years is enough time to find a way to establish contact if you really want to.  She either didn't want SAIA to know, or she felt that such information being known at SAIA would have been unsafe.

(Whew!  Musta been the double martini talking.  Doesn't the wormwood melange give you hallucinations?)

...Oh, and since Amber said that she was going to save the final two bonus strips for the same week, does this mean that we're gomma have 6 strips this week? :boogie

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Aridas

Quote from: superluser on December 19, 2006, 03:35:12 AM
Of course, if a legendary creature known for trying to have sex with people popped up in my bar, I might try that, too.
Erm, Since when do they do that?

or the fact that he's a `cubi/being hybrid.
There's no such thing as a cubi/being hybrid.

superluser

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on December 19, 2006, 03:51:20 AM
Of course, if a legendary creature known for trying to have sex with people popped up in my bar, I might try that, too.

Do what?  Show up in bars?

Quote from: superluser on December 19, 2006, 03:35:12 AMor the fact that he's a `cubi/being hybrid.

Ok, succubus/being hybrid (in the case of Dan) or incubus/being hybrid (in the case of Abel).

Tapewolf

'cubi from Christian myth do just that.  According to Discoverie of Witchcraft by Scot, they were believed (he didn't believe in it, I might add) to come in as a succubus, date-rape someone and then switch gender to knock someone up.  This unholy union was said to produce the best witches.

Now, DMFA 'cubi don't do that but they do still have a reputation for seduction as mentioned by Abel, Dan, Wildy and Fluffy IIRC and alluded to in the Destania-Edward encounter.

or the fact that he's a `cubi/being hybrid.

I don't have the Nice archives with me at the moment, but I swear when I was searching them last night I saw Amber describe Dan as a being/cubi hybrid.  She did immediately follow it up by saying that he had full 'cubi powers, of course.

Anyway, that episode was quite a revelation.  Unless Pyro is actually some kind of draconic dissident, it's fairly a safe bet that the dragons do know about Dan now, which opens a (somewhat unlikely IMHO) possibility for some kind of showdown between Pyro and Dan if Pyro is responsible for killing Edward through his actions.

I was wondering if Destania's mission was somehow related to this apparent dragon plot, but Fa'lina's reaction to Aary regarding the loss of Destania would suggest that she simply became entangled in it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dard

Pyroduck is coming!
Pyroduck is coming!!!!

Oh no, he turned back.
My bad!
(a pity)

Aridas

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 19, 2006, 04:08:08 AM
I don't have the Nice archives with me at the moment, but I swear when I was searching them last night I saw Amber describe Dan as a being/cubi hybrid. She did immediately follow it up by saying that he had full 'cubi powers, of course.
Well, we WERE told that you either are or you aren't, so the whole "hybrid" thing doesn't really exist. if you're only referring to the parents, then sure.

Magic

True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Zedd

Doraion

Ace: Man too bad I can't back Dan up if he has a rescue mission happening soon.  He coudl sure use my-OW!  *Ace sits down holding his head grumbling after Doraion whacked him on the head with his staff.*

Doraion: Aye, do I have to do this everytime you brag Ace?

e_voyager

well when i saw that it was a jaw dropper. i could have expected many things but that was out of the blue. i guess that Pyro and Destna not meeting was a good thing.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 19, 2006, 04:08:08 AMI was wondering if Destania's mission was somehow related to this apparent dragon plot, but Fa'lina's reaction to Aary regarding the loss of Destania would suggest that she simply became entangled in it.

Fa'Lina's reaction seems a bit odd.  It implies that she knows (or perhaps simply doesn't care) where Destania is.  Had she been unaware, she would have probably probed Aary for information.

So we're left with the same scenarios:

1.) Destania has not been in contact with SAIA.
2.) Destania has been in contact with SAIA and wants Dan to be there, but does not want SAIA to find out about Dan. (no, I don't know what that means, either)

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on December 19, 2006, 04:33:45 AMWell, we WERE told that you either are or you aren't, so the whole "hybrid" thing doesn't really exist. if you're only referring to the parents, then sure.

hybrid -  n.  1. Genetics. The offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock, especially the offspring produced by breeding plants or animals of different varieties, species, or races.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on December 19, 2006, 05:06:15 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on December 19, 2006, 04:08:08 AMI was wondering if Destania's mission was somehow related to this apparent dragon plot, but Fa'lina's reaction to Aary regarding the loss of Destania would suggest that she simply became entangled in it.

Fa'Lina's reaction seems a bit odd.  It implies that she knows (or perhaps simply doesn't care) where Destania is.  Had she been unaware, she would have probably probed Aary for information.

So we're left with the same scenarios:

1.) Destania has not been in contact with SAIA.
2.) Destania has been in contact with SAIA and wants Dan to be there, but does not want SAIA to find out about Dan. (no, I don't know what that means, either)

I was thinking more of this reaction - it looks like Fa'Lina knows that Destania settled down but she still can't quite believe it, or she's waiting for her to 'come to her senses' and return to the Academy.  She doesn't seem to know about the Twink Territories business.

Personally, I'm inclined to believe that Destania did return to SAIA to formally resign, give her reasons and remove any personal effects and heirlooms (e.g. the bed and Cyra Clan paintings).
Why she has not acted to get Dan into SAIA is not something I fully understand although it's possible she was afraid the dragons would trace any communication she made with SAIA.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Aridas

Real life genetics don't even count for DMFA in this case... Especially since hybrids carry the qualities of their parents, and Amber HAS already said you can't be half-creature.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Zedd on December 19, 2006, 04:48:58 AM
Quote from: Ink on December 19, 2006, 04:35:07 AM

Are you threating me? Do you have any holio? TP for my bunghole?

Bwahahahaha! *rotfl*

More seriously - is Pyro on the side of Dragons generally? On his own side? Playing the two sides against each other?

Is Destania aware of Pyro? How can she not be, since, whilst he's keeping a low profile, at least Abel knows about him instantly.

What -is- the story behind that? How come Abel knows instantly that Dragons must be kept away from Dan - yet Dan doesn't? (ref, strip 142 in the DP arc with the dragon spotting Dan a tenner... amongst other, possibly non-canon episodes, eg the one where Dan dies by being stood on)

Fa'Lina, I don't think we should take at face value, ever. I expect her to be playing a shell game - evne if she knows, she may make like she doesn't to lead someone else into doing what she wants. I think she knew about Destania, and sent Aary out with the express intent of getting Dan back into SAIA, long enough to assign someone, probably Abel (given the room assignment and the folder of info) as mentor and defender.

Which she may well have guilted Abel into protecting him on that basis, presuming that that info is in the folder...

Hmm. All sorts of twisty little mental passages :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kasarn

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on December 19, 2006, 05:21:45 AM
Real life genetics don't even count for DMFA in this case... Especially since hybrids carry the qualities of their parents, and Amber HAS already said you can't be half-creature.
What real life genetics? Hybrid is a word and has a dictionary meaning.
So long as long it is the offspring of two different things, it is a hybrid.
For example, the offspring of a Clan Cyra Cubi and a Clan Nact'larn Cubi is also a hybrid.

And you CAN be a half-creature
"Being half creature tends to put Lorenda in a socially awkward position which has left her torn between doing what demons do...aka rampaging, chaos, etc...or trying to live a normal life as a being.

Aridas

forgot this one was here a little too late >_>

Aridas

Quote from: Zedd on December 19, 2006, 04:48:58 AM
Quote from: Ink on December 19, 2006, 04:35:07 AM

Are you threating me? Do you have any holio? TP for my bunghole?
You did it wrong >_>

Quote from: Kasarn on December 19, 2006, 05:38:01 AM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on December 19, 2006, 05:21:45 AM
What real life genetics? Hybrid is a word and has a dictionary meaning.
So long as long it is the offspring of two different things, it is a hybrid.
For example, the offspring of a Clan Cyra Cubi and a Clan Nact'larn Cubi is also a hybrid.

And you CAN be a half-creature
"Being half creature tends to put Lorenda in a socially awkward position which has left her torn between doing what demons do...aka rampaging, chaos, etc...or trying to live a normal life as a being.
Are you going to tell me Amber is lying then?

edited for teh quote

Quote from:  teh ambarEither the kid will be a Cubi or they wont. There is no "half breed" in the sense a kid has some Cubi abilities but none of their weaknesses or some stupid-lame Blade form of powergaming.   At the very most, a being-child might have some magical inclinations but they don't have any of the Cubi natural abilities.
No hybrids.

Kasarn