modelincard's art...Updated 8-26-07: Getting ahead

Started by Faerie Alex, November 07, 2006, 07:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faerie Alex

Note: The first few pictures have all been resized.They're now considerably smaller and should load faster.

The little pic I'm using as my avatar isn't as good, so I decided to post the full version here.
Mainly tiger-'cubi, some art from me.

First Image

Click to enlarge

So...uh...yeah, here it is. It's a 'cubi...(like I need to say that). It's based off myself and a stuffed tiger that I have.

12-28-06
Second Alex pic

1-7-07
Miranda

5-16-07
Alex in Sculpture

6-3-07
Miranda sculpture. And boring text.

8-26-07
DA, sketches, heads.
^Newest^
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Tapewolf

Quote from: modelincard on November 07, 2006, 07:59:41 PM
So...uh...yeah, here it is. It's a 'cubi...(like I need to say that). It's based off myself and a stuffed tiger that I have.

Yes, it definitely has that 'stuffed' look to it.  Here are a few comments which you may find helpful:

* I'm not sure about the orange blobs in the eyes.  I removed them here and it looks better, IMHO

* I believe the head is small in proportion to the body.  Hazmat had a problem with that too, it's not uncommon :P

* The orange tops of the wings have no texture to them - that might be because they're bat wings (with feathers at the bottom) though.  in that case it might be an idea to make them a different colour to his fur, although that's really a personal preference thing.

* The clothing is pretty good, I like the shading and folds in the cloth.

* As an avatar just the head is a little overwhelming.  If it were me I'd consider something more like this:

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Faerie Alex

My mom actually mentioned the head earlier. It does seem a bit small, I might or moght not fix that later. (I don't want to make myself look big-headed, now do I?)

The orange spots are from the stuffed tiger of mine (I call him Hobbes.) Those aren't actually eyes, but patches of white fur. The eyes end at the yellow.

Thanks, that one is much nicer. :D

Faerie Alex

Okay, I think this next one's gonna be a bit better. It has rabbit-type ears, btw.

Click to enlarge.

EDIT:
It's about a third of the size now, but I'm going to continue trying after breakfast.
Okay, let's try this one. (572 KB)
Fixed now (8-26-07)

xHaZxMaTx

6.5 MB? D:  Couldn't you resize it and save it as a .jpg or something?

Aridas

The extension is JPG... which is weird, since i've had pics with large dimensions only come out to 2 MB on a decently high quality.

Turnsky

egad man, if you have photoshop "save for web" is your friend!.. those pics would annihilate the modem of an unlucky 56k user.

in any case, shrinking the size of the pic itself should be beneficial to you.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Faerie Alex

Something a bit different.

Click to enlarge.

Yes, her name is Miranda. (It's what I would have been named if I had been a girl. She still gets mail, though.) Miranda is the (twin) sister of the 'cubi I posted earlier.

On a side note, I've been thinking of starting a webcomic about these two. However, I want to make sure that it wouldn't infringe on any copyright Amber has over furry, winged 'cubi. Since I'm not sure, I'm asking it here.

Dakata

Amber doesn't own Cubi. :P She just used them in DMFA and gave them the ability to eat souls and stuff. ...And get butt-wingies if they're old enough...I think. X3

From the Incubus article @ Wikipedia:
'In Western medieval legend, an incubus (plural incubi) is a demon in male form supposed to lie upon sleepers, especially women, in order to have sexual intercourse with them. They are also believed to do this in order to spawn other Incubi. The Incubus drains energy from the woman it performs sexual intercourse upon in order to sustain itself. In most cases it either kills the victim or leaves the victim in very weak or fragile condition. A female version was called a succubus.'

...Is Miranda a Tiger? 'Cuz I don't think Tigers have those kind of tails...It looks like she has a wolf/fox tail...And her right leg is kinda skinnier than the left one....and the left arm looks kinda short...>_> *Nag nag nag*

Tapewolf

Quote from: Dakata on January 07, 2007, 04:16:38 PM
Amber doesn't own Cubi. :P She just used them in DMFA and gave them the ability to eat souls and stuff.

Above and beyond the incubus as described by Scot, Amber has, among other things:

• Coined the term "'cubi" (possibly coined by her readers, this is unclear)
  • Made them animal in form
  • Added wings
  • Added headwings which I have never, ever come across before
  • Added the ability to eat emotions and souls
  • Added the ability to enter and manipulate dreams (this might be a classical ability though)

Faerie Alex

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 07, 2007, 04:32:00 PM
Amber doesn't own Cubi. :P She just used them in DMFA and gave them the ability to eat souls and stuff.

Above and beyond the incubus as described by Scot, Amber has, among other things:

• Added wings
  • Added the ability to enter and manipulate dreams (this might be a classical ability though)
Which was mainly what I was concerned about. :/

Yes, Miranda is part tiger. Their parents are going to be the next pic (prolly). I was thinking tiger (w/ long ears) and arctic fox.

Dakata

Faerie Alex

'cuz I said so. :3

*cough* Actually, I don't know why. That was something I added for my second avatar, and it stayed for Miranda. I'm thinking maybe one of their paternal grandparents was a bunny.

Gareeku

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 07, 2007, 04:32:00 PM

• Added wings

The Appearance of Succubi and Incubi very greatly. The wings/headwings, the entering dreams, and the soul eating don't just come from DMFA. There are lots of variations on Cubi, but i do know that headwings is one of them (See Morrigan and Lilith from the Darkstalkers series of games. They both have wings and headwings. I've seen the soul eating thing somewhere else before too. Not sure about the emotion eating aspect, though. That may very be Amber's creation. :)

Faerie Alex

^Click^ (full pix on website)

So...yeah. It's sculpture this time. It came out okay, I think. The face is a bit off...I'll just say he's chewing. :/

Zedd

Faerie Alex

^Click for art^

K, this one came out well enough. The tilt of her head might be a bit too much, but...eh.

She does have wings, but I made them small (on purpose, I wanted something different, but not her normal look) and they ended up hidden by her ears. :<

This is also the first time that I've shown one of my characters' foot fur pattern. The pix don't show it, but she has foot pads (one large, 3 small per foot, same color as her hair). Alex has the same thing for his feet too.

Tapewolf

What's the medium?  Clay?  If so, how are you firing them?

Faerie Alex

I'm using "Ovencraft Clay" available through Michael's craft store. It fires at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (so well within the range of a normal oven). The one downside seems to be that it gives a mottled appearance after firing but with paint, that's no problem. (Actually, the colors seem to be about my preferred hair and fur color, but speckled.)

llearch n'n'daCorna

I was going to comment about it looking somewhat unshiny, but I thought I'd wait until you said what you made it out of :)

Of course, that may well be a preferred outcome... :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Faerie Alex

Since I don't glaze it, if that's what you meant.

The black paint is shiny. Overall, I'm not sure if I would want shiny. Way I see it, fur is usually matte and her clothes are matte too. Side note, these are more like pajamas than her regular clothes. She'd —never— be seen out in public like that. She does have something of a reputation to keep. >:3

llearch n'n'daCorna

ah, right. Yes, glaze is what I meant. Sorry, it's been a -very- long, tedious, irritating day. :-/

I figured it might be intended, I was just curious as to if you could manage, say, a lizard or something, in the same medium, and get the skin looking glossy instead of matt.

Not that I'm asking, I'm merely commenting. :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Faerie Alex

So remember waaaaayyyyyy back in January when I said the next image would feature Alex & Miranda's parents? Well, it turns out I lied. :< More details below.

Firstly, I got myself a DA. Click here or in my sig.

I uploaded a few things to it that aren't on my website ('cuz I'm lazy like that :<).
Trevor, a friend of Alex and a potential spoiler to my webcomic (if I ever get around to writing it).

Meanwhile, I've been thinking of changing Miranda & Alex's look. Here's what she looks like now:

But that seemed a bit...not enough something. And I wasn't sure if it showed enough fox. So, I'm trying the following:

I happen to like the third the most, followed by the fourth. I realize it's my decision, but I thought I'd see what ya'll thought of them. (Whatever changes I make to her will be copied onto Alex. They're still twins after all.)

Zedd