Abel's Story, 10-31-06

Started by DigitalMan, October 31, 2006, 03:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dard

This issue was creepy.
Especially because I have read the "1001 Nights of Snowfall" hardcover of the Fables series. It had a lengthy story about a woman that killed children for several hundred years. What's creepy is that this story wasn't even that creepy. I mean, what would you expect of the witch that disguises her hut with gingerbread in order to lure little children there?

So this was the second story today that (possibly) featured killed children...
But no matter how bad all that is for Devin, I hope Devin's explanation for his antipathy towards Abel doesn't end up in some kind of cliched "I hate you because my parents hated me and yours love you". I doubt it, especially because I can't shake off the impression that there is some dark secret in Devin's family.

DigitalMan

Quote from: Dard on November 01, 2006, 06:12:02 PM
This issue was creepy.
Especially because I have read the "1001 Nights of Snowfall" hardcover of the Fables series. It had a lengthy story about a woman that killed children for several hundred years. What's creepy is that this story wasn't even that creepy. I mean, what would you expect of the witch that disguises her hut with gingerbread in order to lure little children there?

Insert Micheal Jackson joke here :U

At any rate, I'm definitely wondering how many "others" there were...

T. Dancer

hmm,
is it possible Devin and the others were not what their father wanted... perhaps they did not inherit certain physical or magical characteristics from him... after all we've never actually seen Devinvs father.
Any who i'm not going to come right out and say it but if you can't figure out what i'm talking about form my above rant, we'll just have to wait and see if i'm right.
Ta Ta

Faerie Alex

Sill, no one's explained this one yet: If Devin and the "other" children failed to inherit some sort of characteristic, why wasn't Devin killed? Was his mom fed up with killing her kids? Or was there something different about him? (And why can't I find a deep thought smiley?)

We may, of course, find out tomorrow/later tonight.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

komissarmakarov

Or maybe Devin's mom was just a psychopath, who managed to keep the fact she had been killing her children a secret from her husband, who left after Devin revealed it to her?

Aridas

Or maybe the more traditional story, where she didn't want him to have to die, but daddy was pissed that mommy had devin, so mommy is psycho because daddy left because of something mommy should've done. baby is sad :<

T. Dancer

Maybe daddy was a horrible person who may also by coincidence been a incubbus/demon and when none of his children inherited their daddies lineage he guilted his blind with love, devoted wife to destroy them.
Then perhaps Devin comes along, she's sick of killing. She won't kill so daddy leaves.
Then again maybe she wasn't in her right mind when she killed the others? Cubbi can manipulate thoughts and actions right?
Then when he leaves she is heart broken and lost so blames it all on the one child she chose to keep.

e_voyager

there are so many ways that things can be wrong that i can not help but wonder. why was Devin spared?  even if there are a hundred reasons to kill ore to die all it takes is one to live. what was Devin's? Cindy we know took her one life even if we don't know why but Devin persisted even when his world was  shattered around him and i wonder why he clung to life when he was miserable.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

T. Dancer

maybe daddy wanted a girl?
Then again who knows, he could've just been an ass who descided to do a runner when Devin was born...
It's really odd, it sounds like his father left due to disapointment, so the only reasons i can think of:
1) Devin not inheriting his fathers magick/looks/etc.
2) Devin being born the wrong sex.
3) His mum cheated, so Devin doesn't look like his father, father then walking out.
4) Devin's father may have been an adventurer who had to leave, anyone here ever seen disneys "Treasure Planet"? like Jimms dad.
5) Maybe it was something that he couldn't tell his family about, or perhaps he was a failed adventurer who felt like he could not support them and so ran off?

For all those proposing the Devin and Ables father are one and the same i don't think it's that likely, for one they both live in the same town so someone would have to notice if he was sneaking around, and i don't think it's possible that either May or Devins mother could not have know about each other.

Still doesn't explain why she kept Devin, though maybe she doesn't mean kill quite the way we're all taking it?
Anyways quite the kunundrum...   :3

Tapewolf

Quote from: T. Dancer on November 01, 2006, 11:54:28 PM
Maybe daddy was a horrible person who may also by coincidence been a incubbus/demon and when none of his children inherited their daddies lineage he guilted his blind with love, devoted wife to destroy them.

Dr. Ink has said three times in the last few days that when a Being and a 'Cubi have children the result will always be a 'Cubi and this theory won't fly.  That was a day or so before you joined the forum, mind :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Amber Williams

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 02, 2006, 04:37:01 AM
Dr. Ink has said three times in the last few days that when a Being and a 'Cubi have children the result will always be a 'Cubi and this theory won't fly.  That was a day or so before you joined the forum, mind :P

And Ink was WROOOOOOONG!  >:O

The problem that occasionally happens when you have a limited cast of characters is that oftentimes the exceptions are considered the norm. For example when Dan first went to the Academy, a lot of people were under the impression that the Academy just swoops in and carries off Cubi children when they get their headwings.  Which isn't the case at all.  But it looks like it.

I think Ink mistook a previous comment I made in that I said when it comes to Cubi genetics, there is an all or nothing approach.  Either the kid will be a Cubi or they wont. There is no "half breed" in the sense a kid has some Cubi abilities but none of their weaknesses or some stupid-lame Blade form of powergaming.   At the very most, a being-child might have some magical inclinations but they don't have any of the Cubi natural abilities.

I should make a breeding chart to give a good example of the success rates/results of various races interbreeding...but I suck at making tables!  Oh god do I suck! D:

ITOS

This generic comment was brought to you by:

RJ

But it's an excuse to make funky tables using math! What more could you want?  :U

...Wait a second... I HATE MATH! ARG! *implodes*

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Panyko on November 02, 2006, 04:48:05 AM
And Ink was WROOOOOOONG!  >:O

Heh.  I knew I'd forgotten something.. I was going to to add the 'but he could be wrong' disclaimer.  Mostly I posted to try and head off someone else attacking the newbie for not reading :P

QuoteThe problem that occasionally happens when you have a limited cast of characters is that oftentimes the exceptions are considered the norm. For example when Dan first went to the Academy, a lot of people were under the impression that the Academy just swoops in and carries off Cubi children when they get their headwings.  Which isn't the case at all.  But it looks like it.
That's still likely to be the default case if they are brought up without knowing what they are, though, isn't it?  The 'normal' way is that they are brought up knowing what they are and apply themselves, at a guess.  Of course in Dan's case it was more.. drastic.. because they weren't able to foresee him.

QuoteI think Ink mistook a previous comment I made in that I said when it comes to Cubi genetics, there is an all or nothing approach.
To be honest, I did wonder..

skwerly

Quote from: Amber
I should make a breeding chart to give a good example of the success rates/results of various races interbreeding...but I suck at making tables!  Oh god do I suck! D:

You could ask Fa'Lina.. I'm sure she has a set of reference posters she could lend you. :)

Amber Williams

Contrary to myth,  the Academy isn't this giant Cubi radar that picks up magical headwing-vibes and deploys agents to yoink each and every child when they come to age.  There are clans that don't use the Academy at all...and odds are there are likely plenty of Cubi children of various situations who go through their lives never even knowing an Academy existed.  If there isn't an application, then the Academy isn't aware of them.

The application is kind of a heads up and a "Hey expect someone!" thing.  Many Cubi parents file them when their child is in their teens.  Then on the expected time, the parents go with their kid to the Academy and send them off.  In certain cases Warp-Aci letters are deployed if the Cubi is possibly unaware of how to do the particular warp to the Academy.

But that requires A) knowledge of the Academy and B) knowledge of how to send stuff like a letter to the Academy.

The Academy is highly utilized by many clans yes...and it boasts a higher success rate of power and survival in comparison to most clans that do without.  But it isn't a requirement, and cases of unwilling students tend to be rare. (maybe one every 200-500 years)  When they happen, its usually a case-to-case situation.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Panyko on November 02, 2006, 05:40:44 AM
Contrary to myth,  the Academy isn't this giant Cubi radar that picks up magical headwing-vibes and deploys agents to yoink each and every child when they come to age.
Interesting, because that implies that Fa'lina has a unique interest in Dan ("We must bring him to the Academy at all costs").  The idea of the Academy being on the lookout would makes sense though, given that it was initially set up to protect the race.  Of course this is trying to generalise Fa'lina's attitudes and drives over a course of 8-9 millennia.

QuoteThe application is kind of a heads up and a "Hey expect someone!" thing.  Many Cubi parents file them when their child is in their teens.  Then on the expected time, the parents go with their kid to the Academy and send them off.  In certain cases Warp-Aci letters are deployed if the Cubi is possibly unaware of how to do the particular warp to the Academy.

Yes.  That's more or less what sprang to mind when you nixed the first theory.  Perhaps I've been reading too much into Fi's "No wonder we couldn't detect him" line, and the aforementioned comment from Fa'lina.

QuoteThe Academy is highly utilized by many clans yes...and it boasts a higher success rate of power and survival in comparison to most clans that do without.  But it isn't a requirement, and cases of unwilling students tend to be rare. (maybe one every 200-500 years)  When they happen, its usually a case-to-case situation.

Looks like I might have to re-engineer my fanfic slightly, although I deliberately avoided the 'don't want to go to SAIA' idea.

Psaakyrn

The Academy is highly utilized by many clans yes...and it boasts a higher success rate of power and survival in comparison to most clans that do without.  But it isn't a requirement, and cases of unwilling students tend to be rare. (maybe one every 200-500 years)  When they happen, its usually a case-to-case situation.

So, if it isn't a requirement, why force Dan to enrol, especially since he's (a) shown an inherent dis-interest in it and (b) this dis-interest is known by Fa'Lina shen she yanked him away? Possible reasons include Cyra Clan history (perhaps the elders, if they exist, specifically made it compulsary) (this could also explain why Destinia had to go even though she also shown dis-interest), or that Dan is more important than he seems...
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

RJ

Contrary to myth,  the Academy isn't this giant Cubi radar that picks up magical headwing-vibes and deploys agents to yoink each and every child when they come to age. 

:B Everyone knows only Hogwarts does that kind of stuff.

ShiningShadow

Then my theory is sound at this point that the Academy is up to something. It Involves with Dan and Abel. I knew it my rock in my gut never lies. Thank you for clearing that up Amber I understand what are you saying about this matter. Also on the Devin and Abel story the way Devin is looking at Abel family think about this what if Devin is not looking at Abel's family but directly at his real father.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 02, 2006, 05:19:49 AM
Heh.  I knew I'd forgotten something.. I was going to to add the 'but he could be wrong' disclaimer.  Mostly I posted to try and head off someone else attacking the newbie for not reading :P

The irony abounds. :square
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Alondro

Quote from: Amber Panyko on November 02, 2006, 04:48:05 AM

I'm a geneticist, Amber.  I could help you create Punnett squares of inheritance for numerous cross-breedings.  Just give a list of which traits are dominant or recessive, and which ones have a graded inheritance, incomplete penetrance, or could be downregulated or silenced by genes in the other species.

I could also come up with some very interesting combinations... and find which genetic mixture would lead to the supreme being!

*Charline listens with interest...*  >:3

*Charles notes*  That reminds me.  Different colored eyes are often the result of tetragametic chimerism, meaning two embryos fused completely during the first few cell divisions.  Chimeric individuals that have bilateral fusion can have different colored eyes, called heterochromia.  Sometimes... they're hermaphrodites!  Could that be Abel?  Does he have a hidden evil twin that LIVES INSIDE HIM!!   D:
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

RJ

I think a little bit of me died somehow when you just said that Charles :< Got me thinking about one of my characters that has heterochromia too.

Alondro

*Charles pats RJ*  It'll be alright.  I'll take care of that abomination for you... *gets the villagers with the torches and pitchforks to kill the monster*   Unclean!  Unclean!   >:3 
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

RJ

llearch n'n'daCorna

I think Charles organised this: no?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Stygian

Quote from: Alondro on November 02, 2006, 08:38:38 AM
I'm a geneticist, Amber.  I could help you create Punnett squares of inheritance for numerous cross-breedings.  Just give a list of which traits are dominant or recessive, and which ones have a graded inheritance, incomplete penetrance, or could be downregulated or silenced by genes in the other species.

I could also come up with some very interesting combinations... and find which genetic mixture would lead to the supreme being!

*Charline listens with interest...*  >:3

*Charles notes*  That reminds me.  Different colored eyes are often the result of tetragametic chimerism, meaning two embryos fused completely during the first few cell divisions.  Chimeric individuals that have bilateral fusion can have different colored eyes, called heterochromia.  Sometimes... they're hermaphrodites!  Could that be Abel?  Does he have a hidden evil twin that LIVES INSIDE HIM!!   D:

Just when I thought that this forum was devoid of scientifically-minded people...

Personally, I'd say I'm a... philosopher. Practical philosopher.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Stygian on November 02, 2006, 10:10:33 AM
Just when I thought that this forum was devoid of scientifically-minded people...
Personally, I'd say I'm a... philosopher. Practical philosopher.
What branches of science did you want to see?

DigitalMan

I'm still wondering if we have a few geniuses on this board, or just a few very good pranksters. Or maybe my oversized-but-fragile ego doesn't want to admit that there's anyone here smarter than me :shifty

I was just wondering last night if I should give one of my characters different colored eyes. The answer appears to be, "No."

Tait-Fox

Yeah... ouch.. o.o