[Comic] 29/09/08 (Project Future Pg. 32 remixed)

Started by Tapewolf, March 01, 2008, 01:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

The new strip is up, and I now have half a stand for my A807.  Titanium drill bits FTW.  Also make sure the drill is not switched into REVERSE.  But I digress.

Regarding the strip, I had to redo Farlane completely as Ren was in a rush to get it done before he left.
I think I have forgotten a few things - like the glass in Kris' glasses - so no doubt I'll be editing this again in the morning or something.
Right now it's about 2AM and I'm going to bed.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

techmaster-glitch

GabrielsThoughts

Aha! Teleportation magic, so that's how the criminals got past security before ventilation systems were invented.

I knew it was either "magic" or "science" but I wasn't sure which until now.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

GabrielsThoughts

out of curiosity, what does one have to do to become a linked affiliate?
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on July 27, 2008, 01:48:10 AM
out of curiosity, what does one have to do to become a linked affiliate?
I have to find out what it even means, then look into the implications.  If you just want a link on the links page, I was sure I already did that after you linked to mine, but looking at it I seem to have forgotten.  I'll need a 1-2 line summary as your comic seems to have undergone a number of plot and personnel changes which makes it difficult to describe  :B

Gabi

It's nice to see things get moving, but the question about the time seemed out of place to me, like it was put there just for the joke. Why would Joshua ask for the time at that moment?

In any case, he didn't get the answer to that question.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Zedd

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Gabi on July 27, 2008, 04:42:24 PM
It's nice to see things get moving, but the question about the time seemed out of place to me, like it was put there just for the joke. Why would Joshua ask for the time at that moment?

In any case, he didn't get the answer to that question.

If you read back a bit, he was introduced to the first panther with that question. The second, more advanced panther told him it was time for him to get a watch.

In other words, he's using it to see what their AI is like.

As Florence does, although I prefer her query: what does your name smell like? ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on July 27, 2008, 04:42:24 PM
It's what he did with the panthers.  Each time he comes across a new AI he asks them the time, because of the way L-TRK responded in page 17.

<EDIT>Llearch has got it dead right.</EDIT>

I won't lie, I did have problems writing this page for a long time.  Anyway, we'll be taking a short detour in the next page (24) - after which, things will start to move very rapidly indeed.  Page 26 will be the last page of this chapter.

Quote from: Zedd on July 27, 2008, 04:54:40 PM
Oh poor Josh
Save your sympathies for page 26.  He'll need it.

Tapewolf

Just a note in advance, I'm going to be away Thursday evening through Friday/Saturday morning (this is unclear) so chances are we'll have a Saturday comic instead of a Friday one.

Zedd

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 30, 2008, 12:19:33 PM
Just a note in advance, I'm going to be away Thursday evening through Friday/Saturday morning (this is unclear) so chances are we'll have a Saturday comic instead of a Friday one.

Noted and take care whereever you go and/or do

Tapewolf

Right, here's the guest page.  Thanks a bundle to Keaton for stepping in.
Owing to a few technical glitches on Keaton's end,  it has not turned out quite as well as I'd hoped.  The main figure was actually coloured from a low-res photograph of the artwork instead of a scan as Keaton's scanner has upped and died.
Hence, this will likely be upgraded later.   I'm not so happy with the thought bubble either.
Still, at least you know where Kris has gone.

Zedd

Hmm...It really sucks for Keats scanner though..hope she gets a new one soon enough

About Kris..He seems like a type I can familiarize with

Tapewolf

I have opened the mayor updated the strip.  Call it a remix if you wish.  I'm a bit happier with it, though it won't work at print resolution until I get the full version from Keaton.

Ren Gaulen

I hope Keaton's scanner gets well soon. I'm looking forward to see the full resolution version of the page. It looks really neat.

Tapewolf

Page 25 is up.  Page 26 will be stretching the rating a little, hence the warning I've added to the thread title.  Poor Josh.

Zedd

Brunhidden

he just seems so calm while saying 'save someones life' and 'oh, its just an attack'- like it happens every week and has become boring

also, not much family resemblence
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brunhidden on August 08, 2008, 04:59:23 PM
he just seems so calm while saying 'save someones life' and 'oh, its just an attack'- like it happens every week and has become boring
While the dialogue was trimmed to fit the strip, Nilson does have something of a 'Scarlet Pimpernel' complex.  "I've found another one" should be a bit of a clue  >:3

Attacks don't happen every day, but it's a risk Kris has learned to live with.  He has strong defences which he has a lot of confidence in.  Perhaps too much confidence.  Also, he doesn't look as alarmed in the reduced version as he does in the full-size version  :rolleyes

Quotealso, not much family resemblence
His mother was a Being.

Gabi

XD It takes a very special kind of creature to eat something called "Choco crap".

Brunhidden

we can only hope its a stool softener or a variant of a 'cow pie'

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on August 09, 2008, 11:11:45 AM
XD It takes a very special kind of creature to eat something called "Choco crap".

Something that came up when I was talking to Keaton in June was rather interesting, so I think it might be worth repeating here as it may be a UK-specific thing:

I don't know whether this happens in the US, but a few years ago UK supermarkets decided to add multiple ranges of various things split by price. So you have for example, 'economy fishcakes',  which are cheap but disgusting, 'fishcakes' which are run-of-the-mill, and something like 'taste-the-difference fishcakes' which are really good but about twice the price.

With the cookies, you can either get 5 normal ones for 99p, which are a bit small and nothing special, or 4 larger and more exotic ones for £1.39, which is what I did.

Basically, I was tired (and cynical) of all the euphemisms for cheap and nasty, like 'value', 'economy', 'basics' and so forth.  Mine is a little more direct >:3
I'm still not sure which is more remarkable, that they might actually market it with that name, or that people would buy it.  In this case, I think they buy the cheap, almost inedible chocolate especially for Kirian to try and keep her from eating the more expensive stuff.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 09, 2008, 11:33:21 AM
I'm still not sure which is more remarkable, that they might actually market it with that name, or that people would buy it.  In this case, I think they buy the cheap, almost inedible chocolate especially for Kirian to try and keep her from eating the more expensive stuff.

People will buy anything.

I'm betting the attempt with Kirian is unsuccessful. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Brunhidden

i suggest what i mistakenly thought it was- give chocolate laxatives and wait for cause/effect to kick in

Tapewolf

http://www.project-future.org/strips/outtakes/antattack.png

I'm probably the only person on the forum who's even heard of this game (heck, it's 25 years old).  Still, it amused me.

Fragmaster01

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 11, 2008, 06:32:21 PM
I'm probably the only person on the forum who's even heard of this game (heck, it's 25 years old).  Still, it amused me.
Oh wow. I haven't seen that game in over 10 years. Jakob is in for it now, nothing can stop those ants!

Gabi

Zedd

First part my mind reacted thought it was a Tardis, If anyone remembers they was used for battle too!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Fragmaster01 on August 11, 2008, 06:37:02 PM
Oh wow. I haven't seen that game in over 10 years. Jakob is in for it now, nothing can stop those ants!
Heh.  I certainly had problems taking the screenshot - I'd completely forgotten the keys!  Now I might have to play it again...

**EDIT**

The way the next page is turning out has made me double-check the rating, and I messed up slightly - NC14 is nearer the mark, same as Abel's Story.  That will be all.

Tapewolf

Well, the end of chapter 3 is up.  Chapter 4 begins next week.

It turned out a lot more violent than I had intended.  I feel really bad about doing this to Josh. 
For some reason I have always imagined this scene as happening in slow motion, and completely silent, with the end part of I Want You/She's So Heavy by The Beatles as the only soundtrack.  This is probably why the dialogue cuts out after panel 5...