Wools of Canada

Started by Jigsaw Forte, October 14, 2007, 04:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jigsaw Forte

During my Trip to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland in the summer, I picked up four skeins of 'Heritage' brand wool yarn (made in New Brunswick, apparently) after seeing so many of the knitted goods they have up there to begin with. It still cost a decent amount ($15 US or so for the four skeins, while buying premade mittens was anywhere from $5-$10, but since I happen to enjoy crocheted items far more than knitted ones, I found it worth the effort to hunt down some proper Canadian wool for yarn, since most of their selection seemed to be either wool or Red Heart brand (which is fine stuff, except for the fact that it's cheap, scratchy acrylic and I can already buy it at home).

I'm currently trying to work with 2-ply worsted weight wool at the moment, which was going to originally be a hat but I eventually tangled up the first skein (although I managed to convert my work so far into the start of a vertical scarf). It wasn't until the third skein that I managed to get the yarn into a manageable form for continuous work, although it still resembles a shaggy Shih Tzu  when I try to pull the next length.

Unfortunately I seem to have picked up a fairly bulky yarn, so I don't know how much I can make out of it, but one would 'hope' that 4 skeins is plenty for a scarf and hat set (especially as I'm using a size J / 6mm crochet hook to make both items). I'll post pictures once I finish with at least the scarf (which admittedly is quite long, hence it may actually NEED more yarn than I expected), but they should both be just in time now that the weather's started to turn down here.

So why am I telling you all this? Because we all know that young women + yarn = hilarious.  :U

Arcalane

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Arcalane on October 14, 2007, 04:30:40 PM
We talking Doctor Who-length scarves here or what? :U

The scarf in question is a little over 6' in length. Of course, I'm going by "me length", which is to say, I know it's longer than 5' and assume the excess length is at least another foot.

Most Who-Length scarves are at least 10' or more.

superluser

I've always wanted to get into knitting.

I know that there are people out there knitting klein bottles and moebius strips, but a nice afghan would be good for me.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?