[Story] The Future History of Jakob Pettersohn (11/Jul/09 - Final Chapter)

Started by Tapewolf, February 24, 2007, 03:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin Sheppard

Hahahaha *rolls around on the floor laughing*

I very much enjoyed this chapter JP well done!

techmaster-glitch

I agree completely with Paladin. 'Dat was FUNNY. Very nicely done.

"I can't belive it's not Being!"
"Can you put a magical tatoo on Ephrael's bum, please?"
"Oh for f***'s sake!" Then I can just imagine a good, "DAR-YIIIIIIIIL!"

llearch n'n'daCorna

... I'm just wondering if Daryil has any surprises in store for Ephrael... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Thanks, guys.  To be honest, with Keaton at the most vulnerable we've ever seen her and the intro containing some of the most depressing stuff I've ever written, and the chapter itself late owing to a sudden decision to reorder the events, having it lauded for being funny was the last thing I expected.  :3

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 09, 2008, 10:00:09 AM
I still need more material for the next chapter, so we'll have to see.  There are a few possibilities.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Cogidubnus

So sure of death the marbles ryhme,
But can't help wondering all the time,
why no one dead will seem to come-
What is it men are shrinking from?

A very enjoyable read. I do wonder, though - Jakob truly can resurrect the dead, without having their soul stored? I suppose if Azrael is any indication he can, but...

Either way. It seems Keaton has willingly chained herself, which is of course less objectionable.
So it seems. I do wonder... >:3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cogidubnus on January 09, 2008, 11:14:32 AM
A very enjoyable read. I do wonder, though - Jakob truly can resurrect the dead, without having their soul stored? I suppose if Azrael is any indication he can, but...

We may be about to see that happen with Dark Pegasus.  Resurrection is something we know precious little about (Azrael refuses to describe death), but it was possible to recall the souls of the undead after they had been buried for a few days.  As for 600 years or so, I'm going to assume it's possible for the purposes of this story.

At a pinch I was prepared to say that Azrael had used some weird spell to prevent himself 'going on', although that obviously wouldn't be the case with Salem.  I may still do that to some extent, e.g. I've hinted here and in CJP that Azrael had some awareness of the mortal world.  With Salem, it may be different.  I'll have to confer with Keaton on that score, assuming that does happen.

QuoteEither way. It seems Keaton has willingly chained herself, which is of course less objectionable.
Will she still be so happy when she's fully sober?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 09, 2008, 10:26:21 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 09, 2008, 10:00:09 AM
I still need more material for the next chapter, so we'll have to see.  There are a few possibilities.

Oh, I have a few ideas. I mentioned some of them to Paladin... *evil grin*

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 09, 2008, 11:25:28 AM
Oh, I have a few ideas. I mentioned some of them to Paladin... *evil grin*

I hope he mentions them to me.  Or they won't happen :P

I almost forgot:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BDLZ55y5n7U

I can't remember the real name of the collection.  "Songs of Peace and Protest", IIRC.  "War and Whinging" was more appropriate, though...

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 09, 2008, 11:22:45 AM
QuoteEither way. It seems Keaton has willingly chained herself, which is of course less objectionable.
Will she still be so happy when she's fully sober?

I hadn't quite realized she was drunk. I was more talking about the comment you made about getting around the bracers, although I might have misinterpreted something.

I'm also going to hazard they are something like morrowind's slave bracers, in you can't really take them off if you want, without the key.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Well, it was "what else did Daryil do to the tattoo?"

... "a heart? Sure, no problem. Like this one?"

Or have it wander around every so often.

Or have it collect names at random.
... or the name of the person looking at it.
... or randomly, but specifically -not- the gender of whoever is looking at it.

Or add other "questionable" tattoos while he's at it, although that's not really his shtick.

Or do something else outrageous that i haven't thought of yet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cogidubnus on January 09, 2008, 11:29:41 AM
I hadn't quite realized she was drunk.

I've left that up in the air.  To be honest I thought she was being a little too open with Azrael for someone completely sober, though.

QuoteI was more talking about the comment you made about getting around the bracers, although I might have misinterpreted something.
Ah, right.  Yes, these are very much like the Morrowind bracers, although IIRC, I first developed the concept before playing the game.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 09, 2008, 11:30:24 AM
Or have [the tattoo] collect names at random.
... or the name of the person looking at it.
... or randomly, but specifically -not- the gender of whoever is looking at it.
Yeah, something like that.  I don't think it had a name on it to begin with, but no... she might not be entirely happy with it  >:3

Paladin Sheppard

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 09, 2008, 11:34:54 AM
Yeah, something like that.  I don't think it had a name on it to begin with, but no... she might not be entirely happy with it  >:3

No, it didn't. According to the pic Pal sent me, anyway. Just a pretty blue heart.

... you could always play with the colours, as well. I -did- suggest Daryil's name in there, just to mess with her head, but he's not inclined that way, and I figured she'd know that by now. So that would just annoy her, rather than confuse her.

... You -could- have it sneaking around her body out of her view. So when she turns to look at it, it slips around to the other side. ;-]

Gabi

Well... that's a funny newsflash!

The reason for the name to be rejected also made me laugh. Especially because that kind of thing happens all the time.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

My God, it's full of stars!

Chapter 24 - Flashbacks

Keaton started.  Where the f*** am I?  I didn't drink that much... did I?

Steady, girl... what was the last thing you remember?  And why can't I feel any... oh yeah, those goddamn enchanted bracers.  What a stupid idea that was...

Memory came back in slow fragments.  Yes... turned, got up, tried to run... Something had hit her on the back of the head.  Hard.

Nervously the jackal reached and felt the back of her head.  It seemed okay... no headwings, mind, but that would be the bracers.  There was still something odd, though.  Something to do with the room?  Colour!  That was it - both her eyes were seeing in full colour for the first time since the loss of her left one six hundred years ago.

How did they do that? she wondered, and then glanced down at her wrists.  A strange, sickening feeling enveloped her as she saw that the bracers were gone.  The grey incubus loomed large in her mind's eye, reaching for her... a certain coldness in his expression as though he was forcing himself into something he didn't really want to do.  Her scream rent the night.

Keaton wept, but no tears came.  The darkness, the beautiful darkness was gone from her forever.  It had been her servant and her master, her armour and her weapon.  It had been her companion, and also her tormentor.  The mere thought that someone else might be able to manipulate the darkness better than her was one of her deepest fears.  Now it was gone and with it, Xianxi, perhaps the closest thing she had to a friend.  The spells binding her warp-aci to the plane of Furrae would have expired when she had... when they murdered her.

Murder?  No, for a proud Jyraneth Raider it was worse, more degrading than the most ignoble death - they had turned her into one of the very Beings they held in such contempt.
But all of these indignities were as nothing compared to the loss of her father.  That was what made her failure complete.

Her eyes stared unseeing as the scene played back in her mind once again...

Blind rage and fury, make the bastard pay for what he did to her.  They had been careful to keep any weapons far from her grasp, but there was a wrench left lying there, almost as if it had been intended for that purpose.

Crouching over the body

A dawning look of horror

Realising the enormity of what's just happened

What she's just done

Daryil...

"Oh dear, oh dear.  Katherine... I am very, very disappointed."

"Oh gods.. no...  I didn't... I didn't mean to... I haven't touched his soul..."

"I'm afraid it's time for your present."

And then

Lutlakes awoke in a comfortable bed.  It was nice and warm and he would have loved to stay there, simply enjoying the luxurious feel of the soft sheets against his fur, but there was a nagging insistence in the back of his mind that he'd have to open his eyes sooner or later and somehow he knew that he wasn't going to like it when he did.

Stretching, he finally took the plunge.  By the looks of it he was in a hotel, and he had a sudden panic that he was late for a meeting.  He looked at the clock... it was 8:45.  He'd have to hurry!  There was a bundle of freshly-ironed clothes on an endtable and he was hastily putting them on when he suddenly noticed the window.  Everything was dark outside.  He checked the clock again - yes, that was 8:45 AM...

He opened the door and walked down the corridor.  Then froze.  There was a body in the hallway.
It was a fox, and he looked strangely familiar.  It looked kind of like... no, that was silly.  His eyes strayed unwillingly to the face, which had a look of surprise frozen upon it, the mouth slightly open.  At the back of the head, his lengthy blonde hair was tangled and matted with red where the skull had been smashed in.  And a wrench lying beside him, stained with blood and...

"Oh my... gods..." he whimpered, and was forced to steady himself against the wall.  Suddenly a door opened behind him and he spun around.  The murderer?  No, it was another fox... looking between the corpse and him with a horrified expression.

"No!  I... I didn't do it!"

"Oh my gods...  ASHLEY!" the fox yelled.

"Please...  I didn't kill him!  I swear to the gods I didn't..."

"Ash!  What the hell is the body doing still here on the main landing!?  He's found it!"

Holy shit!  Lutlakes thought.  "You!  You did this...!"

"What!?" called another voice.  "The body?  I thought Azrael was taking care of that!"

"Yak said 'Ash' not 'Az'... Ugh, never mind.  Just take it to the cold store now, please?"
So saying, he turned to face Lutlakes, who was slowly edging backwards away from him.

"You weren't supposed to see this," the fox continued.  "There seems to have been a bit of a cock-up, even aside from..." his voice trailed away as he glanced at the corpse.  "...well, rest assured that your killer has already been punished."

My killer?  Suddenly it came back... the last thing he remembered was that something had hit him on the back of the head.  Hard.

"That - the corpse - is... it's me, isn't it?"

"Yes.  I'm sorry," said Niall.  "Not much consolation, I know, but...  Do you have any requests regarding the body?"

"Requests?" Lutlakes asked.  He found himself staring into the corpse's wide eyes... looking for the soul?

"Well, we can offer cremation, burial, mass-to-energy conversion... or are you an organ donor?  That kind of thing."

"I, uh, I don't remember!"

Grimacing, Niall knelt down and removed the wallet from the dead fox's business suit, quickly rifling through it before handing it to Lutlakes.  "There you go.  This should have been in your clothes already.  No donor card, and to be blunt it's probably a bit late for that anyway."

He magicked a pamphlet out of thin air and handed it to Lutlakes.  It was titled 'Android Replicas and you'.  "This was intended for our prospective clients," Niall sighed, "But it will give you everything you need to know about your... new self."

"...Except whether you're legally still you, of course," he added thoughtfully, "but I think that's more up your street."

"So, I'm dead.  You've somehow transferred my soul into what you claim is an android replica of me..."

"It's all in the pamphlet," Niall said, cutting him short.  "Look, just forget about it for now.  You didn't know you were dead at all until you saw the corpse, right?  So you don't need to worry about that yet.  However, Jakob is very concerned and he'd like to meet you right away.  Assuming you're up to it, of course," he added.

"I... can't remember where I am."

"In our base," Niall said.  "Excuse me..."

Lutlakes jumped as the headwings appeared.

"Sorry.  Just doing a final consistency check on your memories.  Sometimes it takes a little while for the soul and mind to sync up... Yeah, as far as I can see you're fine.  It should all have come back in a few minutes or so..."

He dialed the number, and was greeted by a white wolf Angel.  "I'd like to speak to Mr. Pettersohn, please."

The wolf faded to grey and grew a pair of head-wings.  "Speaking."

"So it's true.  I heard you were dead."

"A hoax," Jakob replied, "Although I'd prefer you didn't repeat that just yet.  Anyway, what can I do for you?"

"My name is Mr. Lutlakes, and I'm a legal representative for the Being-Creature Commission.  Recently you applied for a number of trademarks regarding a product which you claim is artificial soul-energy.  My client has expressed some concern that your soul-production process may in fact be a front for a mass soul-stealing operation, of the kind which you perpetrated some centuries ago..."

"Allegedly," Jakob corrected without even blinking.  "We wouldn't want to get into libel now, would we?"

"Allegedly," he agreed.  "In any case, to set our minds at rest, I would like to see the production facility, if that is at all possible."

"That's very brave of you," Jakob said.  "If I was truly doing such a thing, going to inspect it seems a bit risky to me, since I could quite easily rip your soul out and add it to the mix.  Still, I daresay you've taken precautions.  Now, as a rule, I don't usually offer guided tours, but I'm sure we can arrange an exception in this case..."

Some time later he was following Pettersohn down the corridor, when he noticed a female figure walking in the opposite direction.  She looked oddly familiar and seemed rather startled by his presence.

And then

Azrael sat reading a book on the theory and practice of casting magic from a Being's point of view.  His current project was to try and design a system to allow an android to perform generalised spellcasting, and he was in the middle of researching this when Jakob arrived.

"Ah, Yak!  Was Lutlakes happy with the soul-energy production?"

"Hoo, boy!  You should have seen the way his eyes lit up when I mentioned we were expanding the patents division our legal department.  Anyway, where's Ashley?  He should be back from the cold store by now."

"Making a new run of android frames, I believe," Azrael replied.  "We got through quite a lot in just a few days."

"The man's a workaholic!  We'll have to have a company lunch or something, because I hardly get to see him these days.  Talking of which, I take it there's still no sign of Keaton?" Jakob asked, his headwings drooping.

"No," the Angel replied.  She's still in her room.  Very distraught."

"I can imagine.  I wish it didn't have to be like this..." his voice broke.

Azrael smiled at him sadly, and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.  "Me too.  Though all things considered, it could have been a lot worse."

"Well, if need be I can eat her emotions.  In any case, it's almost two days and we need to do something, pronto.  It'll be Daryil's party soon, and we can't bring her like that.  We don't really want to leave her here, either.  It wouldn't be fair on her, let alone the damage she could cause..."

"Keaton?"

The jackal was sitting on the bed in her room as the wolf poked his head through the door.  Exactly what she was staring at was difficult to ascertain.  In any case, she did not reply, and it was only the slight pricking of her large ears that revealed she'd heard him at all.  He couldn't probe with his powers for the room was awash with pain, bitterness and various other emotions to the point at which his mental shield could barely cope.

"Keaton?  I've got someone here to see you."

"No!" She screamed, spinning around and backing against the wall in a sudden burst of energy that took the wolf by surprise. "You brought him here!  To finish me off!"

"No no no!" Jakob yelped.  "He's not here.  He's not even in the building at all, I swear it!"

"Then why are you here?  What do you want?  Haven't you had enough?  You've come to gloat, haven't you!"  She screamed. "Come to feed on my pain, you piece of shit!  You f***in' bastard, son of a f***in' Being!  You murdered me!  You took the Darkness away!  How can you even begin to understand what I've lost!?  You..." words failed her and with an expression beyond rage, she lunged at him, leaping over the bed in a single bound.

It was as though she'd tripped.  The safeties cut in in full flight and she landed head-first in a shocking way that would have instantly killed anyone with a spinal column.  It certainly looked like she was dead, but Jakob knew better.  It didn't stop him from blanching at the impact, though.  With an expression of regret, he knelt, turning her over and punching a code into a small hand-held terminal.  The jackal stirred.

"You piece of soulshit... you.. you... urrr..." the insults died on her lips as Jakob stared down into her eyes in a strange way.  He's doing something... to my mind... to me...

"Look," he said heavily, "I think you should know that I didn't want it to come to this.  It was supposed to be just a threat... but Daryil... he was pissed when you killed the lawyer.  I couldn't stop him.  But... I mean, for gods' sakes.. why?  What made you do it?  Some long-standing grudge?"

"It was a murder case," the jackal replied slowly.  Everything felt strange and unreal.  "Some years ago.  He was the prosecutor."

"I hate to say it, but if you go around murdering people, you've got to expect that sort of thing."

"You just murdered me!" she spat back, a spark of anger still living within her.  "And anyway, that time I wasn't even f***in' guilty!"

You are now, Jakob thought, but it didn't say it.  In a way she was right.  They had murdered her. 

"Anyway, so as far as I'm concerned, you're free to leave any time you choose.  When you feel up to it.  But you don't have to, of course... you can stay, if you prefer."

Stay?  With Daryil?  Are you out of your f***ing mind?  She laughed bitterly.  "Leave?  We're in the middle of the f***in' Arctic!  Whadda you expect me to do... walk back?"

"Oh, yes.  I forgot... your friend."

So saying, Jakob placed a briefcase on the floor, opened the top and crawled back a few paces.  Keaton jerked back and her hands flew up to cover her face and protect her eyes from the explosion.

"Mistress... I have failed you..."

Keaton opened one of the fingers, exposing her eye, and stared down at the briefcase.  A small, black figure slowly rose out of it, with the mark of Daryil Clan upon its forehead.

Slowly removing the hands from her face, she glanced at Jakob with an expression of amazement and wonder.  "H-how did you..."

"Daryil did it," he replied.  She flinched at the mention of his name.  "When he... punished you, he did what you might call a 'reference count', checking for any spells that were bound to your lifeforce.  This little chap was one of those.  He's been re-bound to our clan, but if he's loyal, he should still obey you just the same."

A few minutes later, Jakob was slowly edging out of the room with a lump in his throat.  Keaton sat on the bed, hugging her warp-aci like a doll.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Sunblink

Still my favorite chapteeeeer~ >:3

Excellently done. :>

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Cogidubnus

Did I miss something? I don't think I remember Keaton killing anyone last chapter...
Or perhaps I've missed something earlier than that? My apologies, if so.

I will say, a very interesting read, although you might guess how I feel about Daryil right now.  :)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cogidubnus on January 18, 2008, 05:38:17 PM
Did I miss something? I don't think I remember Keaton killing anyone last chapter...
Or perhaps I've missed something earlier than that? My apologies, if so.
This is about two days after the previous chapter.

QuoteI will say, a very interesting read, although you might guess how I feel about Daryil right now.  :)
I had expected more hate-mail over this, I must admit  >:3

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 18, 2008, 06:41:51 PM

My previous offer to be your human shield still stands, you know.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 18, 2008, 07:41:03 PM

~Keaton the Black Jackal

... "I'd hit it" ?

Brunhidden

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 18, 2008, 04:21:06 PM

If thats from where i think its from you just rose even further in my respect

"Well, we can offer cremation, burial, mass-to-energy conversion... or are you an organ donor?  That kind of thing."

Ah, the many choices, some more environmentally friendly then others

Quoteand of pity not a dram, we all eat roasted garlic and sing from the diaphragm
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brunhidden on January 19, 2008, 09:40:50 AM

Thanks to Keaton (and her owner's suggestion that she should have a tantrum at the end instead of being sullen as in the original), this chapter alone uses the f-word more times than the rest of it put together, by my count.  But yeah, it's a reference to 2001.
Would it bring things back to equilibrium if I said I preferred 2010? :3

Ah, the many choices, some more environmentally friendly then others
Poor Keaton wasn't offered a choice  :<

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 19, 2008, 10:16:41 AM

2063 just wasn't in the same playground, though.

Paladin Sheppard

Brunhidden

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 19, 2008, 10:16:41 AM
Quote from: Brunhidden on January 19, 2008, 09:40:50 AM

Thanks to Keaton (and her owner's suggestion that she should have a tantrum at the end instead of being sullen as in the original), this chapter alone uses the f-word more times than the rest of it put together, by my count.  But yeah, it's a reference to 2001.

There is yet another source i was expecting that quote to be from, so apparently the mark was not hit although i still respect you. It is, however, possible that they are still connected.

I own a copy of 2010, but it has disappeared with a largish box containing about 65 pounds of my most precious books.

for those of you who are brittish, thats a WEIGHT measurement not a price. sheesh, you would think that mistake would happen less because it was the british measurement system but it seems to have been forgotten- estimated price of books missing is about $275, at least half of which were picked up at half price used bookstores.

QuoteWe can sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do us harm

Sunblink

Quote from: Paladin Sheppard on January 20, 2008, 05:04:07 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 18, 2008, 08:18:05 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 18, 2008, 07:41:03 PM

~Keaton the Black Jackal

... "I'd hit it" ?

Seconded! >:3

Keaton would hit all of you, too.

She'd hit you all with her mace. >:3

She hits you all because she LOVES YOU. :C

~Keaton the Black Jackal

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 20, 2008, 11:45:08 AM
Keaton would hit all of you, too.

She'd hit you all with her mace. >:3

She hits you all because she LOVES YOU. :C

Tough love. It's such a pain...

... in the ribs, and the knees, and the arms, and anywhere else she hits us... ;-]

Brunhidden

and about that time someone will say they like a girl with 'spirit' or some such and suddenly find themselves sans testicles.

Quote"Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

Tapewolf

In case anyone is interested, here's a clip from the original, less poignant version of the ending.  In that, Keaton was just melancholy rather than actually throwing a full-blown hissy-fit.

"Take your time," Jakob suggested, with a thin smile.  Inwardly, he was beaming.  She was not going to be a happy bunny for quite some time, but nonetheless, it looked like he'd broken the back of her depression.

As he left, a small envelope appeared on her bed.  Opening it, Keaton found a small, greetings card.  The "I'm sorry I killed you" line was a bit of a niche market, but it did have its uses.  Perhaps I should get one for the lawyer, she thought, and opened it.
As she did so, something fell out - even thought it couldn't have fitted inside.  Keaton dropped the card in panic as she realised what it was - a small bag of lollipops.