[Story] The Future History of Jakob Pettersohn (11/Jul/09 - Final Chapter)

Started by Tapewolf, February 24, 2007, 03:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 01, 2007, 07:26:30 PM
I can't wait for details on these two. ;-]

I wasn't planning to cover the war beyond this and what is mentioned in the Wiki.  That's not set in stone though.  The succubus who attacked Jakob and later seized the throne of Ha'Khunn was from that clan.

By the way, here's an 'outtake' from one of the drafts:

Nonetheless, his clan, although minor, has garnered a certain amount of
notoriety, having spawned a number of infamous figures including Johan Cross
and Werrew the Usurper.  Daryil himself is [a f_cking loony]

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

RobbieThe1st

As always, so very good!  8)

Honestly, around these forums, its my favorite story(Well, this and CJP), and I can't wait for each episode!

Anyway, I just wanted to say how great it is.

Also, as llearch said:
Quote"No," said Jakob, peering into his mind.  "You didn't.  Though I must say, I approve of your taste in women." he added wickedly.  Niall tried to hide his face.
:mwaha

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Gabi

I still wonder why someone who has wings would join an anti-wing group.

This chapter was quite informative, though.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on October 02, 2007, 09:03:43 AM
I still wonder why someone who has wings would join an anti-wing group.
Ultimately because his parents were killed by 'Cubi and he wanted to get back at them.  The fact that his parents were also 'Cubi didn't really register...

**EDIT**
Actually that should have been in his bio as well.  Damn.

**EDIT EDIT**
It is now.

Daryil's current partner is a young wolf incubus of approximately 175 named
Simeon Kaye.  Brought up in the belief he was a winged Being, Simeon was a
member of a local anti-wing group known as the 'Burning Feather' and is
believed to have killed approximately ten other 'Cubi in a misguised attempt
to avenge his parents before discovering that he was actually an offshoot of
clan...

Sunblink

Can I just say that Daryil's spontaneous appearance and disappearance made me laugh like a loony? XD I don't know much about him, but I really, really, really like Daryil. Jyraneth should be taking notes, but she's the bad sort of insane.

Either waaay... really nice chapter. I'm rather curious as to what Keaton's going to use this newly-uncovered information about Daryil and Simeon (:O) for. Plus, I'm rather liking Wils. Another good chapter, Tape. :)

~Keaton the Black Jackal

techmaster-glitch

Oh yeah, just a little on-the-side- question. I think it's been answered already, but I can't really remember.
For Dorcan, is BOTM canon with the story? If so, has it already happened, or has it yet to happen?
I'm willing to bet it hasn't yet, because Dorcan hasn't told any stories, or shown any signs of new encounters altering his concience (Holy sh*t, I sound like the Architect :erk) that would be presant for someone who's spent some time fighting a war in another universe ;)

And good chapter. I still want to know who killed that Being...but I think we're going to find out in the next chapter.

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 05, 2007, 12:53:16 PM
Oh yeah, just a little on-the-side- question. I think it's been answered already, but I can't really remember.
For Dorcan, is BOTM canon with the story? If so, has it already happened, or has it yet to happen?

Yes, it is canon... his exploits in BOTM happen some years afterwards.  I haven't decided exactly when... probably somewhere between 5-25 years later.

QuoteAnd good chapter. I still want to know who killed that Being...but I think we're going to find out in the next chapter.

Thanks.  You'll find out eventually, but probably not next time.  This arc hasn't been as meticulously planned as the previous ones I'm afraid, which is one reason updates have slowed down.  Early on it actually was going to be Niall, but then I had a much better idea.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 05, 2007, 02:02:25 PM
Thanks.  You'll find out eventually, but probably not next time.  This arc hasn't been as meticulously planned as the previous ones I'm afraid, which is one reason updates have slowed down.  Early on it actually was going to be Niall, but then I had a much better idea.

I'd much rather have slower but better quality than quicker but rushed.

Just my 2p...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gabi

Tapewolf

Chapter 17 - Forgery

Jakob span around to face the intruder.  "Sim," he said, with a sigh of relief.
"You scared the life out of me."  A puzzled expression crossed his face as he noticed that the other wolf's face was damp with tears.

"Hold up," he said to the others, "We'll have a meeting to discuss our plan of action for the forge in about 15 minutes, okay?"  Dorcan and Ashley nodded and signed off.

"What's up?" he asked the younger wolf.  "Is it about Daryil?"

"Yes," Simeon said, looking away to try and hide his eyes.

"There, there...  I'm sure he'll be fine.  He was here just now actually."

"Really?"

"Yes.  Although I do hope he doesn't do that again... it's not going to go down very well at his trial if he keeps doing things like that."

Simeon was still sniffing to himself.

"Look," Jakob said gently, "He's gone around marrying people to each other and generally causing a public nuisance.  What can they do?  Worst he's looking at is about 5 years and he's probably smart enough to get that commuted assuming he keeps his head and doesn't break out of jail just to fetch his toothbrush or something."

"I guess you're right," Simeon replied, but he still looked miserable.  At that moment there was a chiming sound and a screen on the wall near Jakob suddenly lit up.

"Sorry kid, I've got to take this," he said.  Simeon dutifully hurried out of the way.  When he was out of view, Jakob snapped his fingers and a mare appeared behind a desk.
"Excuse me, sir," she said, "I have an incoming call for 'Mr. Cross'.  Will you take it?"

"No," said Jakob.  "Tell them that there is no-one here by that name."

"Very good, sir," she said, and the screen went blank.  A few seconds later she reappeared.
"He would like speak to Kristofer Ausmann," she reported.

"Damn.  Who is it?" Jakob queried.

"A Commander P. Ashford," she replied.  "He says it's urgent."  Joshua looked alarmed and stepped sideways until, like Simeon, he was out of range of the video scanner.

"Okay, put him through, Martha..." the wolf said with a look of distaste, "But announce me as 'Mr. Pettersohn'."

A few moments later he was staring at the fox.
"So, the Paw's Eye once again sees me," Jakob said with a smile.  "How the wheel turns."  Ashford looked nonplussed for a moment, then uncertain, but he quickly recovered and a slightly cynical expression appeared upon his face.

"Greetings, Mr. Cr-"

"Don't say it," Jakob interrupted.  "I don't know what you want, but I'm taking this call on sufferance.  It's holding up an important meeting and I am in no mood to take any lip.  Kindly use my real name, or this conversation is over."

"Very well," he replied smoothly.  "Then I'll get straight to the point.  My understanding is that you've captured Joshua and are holding him prisoner.  Tempting though it is to leave him to rot for his failure, he has more than proven his worth in previous missions.  I therefore wish to negotiate the matter of his release."

Jakob looked like he was about to sneeze.

"What are you offering?" he asked, assuming a faintly sneering expression.

"Well, I understand that you're engaging in experiments which involve the creation of new life.  The Being-Creature council might find that somewhat disagreeable."

"Blackmail is also illegal," Jakob pointed out.  "And in any case, I would be interested to see how they intend to enforce their laws out here in the wilderness."

"That's not necessarily what I had in mind, although it's an option, I admit," Ashford said.  "What I really meant was that we have a certain amount of... influence... with the Council, and we could probably arrange some kind of deal."

"Your concern is touching, but I only ever negotiate face-to-face," Jakob said.  "That reminds me.  Would it be possible to talk to your succubus?"

"I'm afraid she has left our employ," Ashford replied, in a strangely clipped tone of voice.  Jakob blinked.

"Pity.  Unfortunately I am very busy at the moment, and I'm afraid I can't spare the time to visit you.  However, if you want to send an envoy here, I assure you they will be well-treated.  The succubus would have been ideal, but if she's moved on then..."

F_ck! thought Keaton inside Ashford, and his face twitched slightly.  That would have been perfect... actually being invited into the complex...

"Are you all right?"  Jakob asked.  "You don't sound at all yourself."

"I'm fine," he said, "I'll see if I can sort someone out..."

"Good.  Meet at the company headquarters and don't forget the Being.  I'm afraid I really must go," he said apologetically, "so you will have to liase with my secretary to arrange the appointment.  Good day."
So saying, he snapped his fingers again and the screen went blank.

"Well Joshua," he said, turning to the husky.  "You know him best.  What did you make of that?"

Joshua was still gazing at the screen in astonishment.  He shook his head quickly and turned back to face Jakob.  "I don't believe it.  What's got into him?"

"There's definitely something unusual going on there," the wolf agreed.  "The Boy-Who-Cried-Human, calmly agreeing to send a helpless Being to meet the evil incubus, Johan Cross?  Either he's far more devious than I gave him credit for or as I say, he's not himself..."

"'Not himself?'  What do you... you think he might be... possessed?"

"Perhaps," replied the incubus, but he sounded unconvinced.  "Anyway, enough of this.  I really am late for the meeting.  Joshua, Azrael - can I leave you two to look after Simeon?  Take him to the common room, and bring Wils too," he added.  "I'm going to be... away for a few hours."

So saying, he headed down to the machine rooms.

Jacks awoke in a strange place.  From the feel of it, he was lying on a cold stone floor.  Groping around in the darkness he found something wooden, a pole.  Running his hands around the wall he suddenly found what he was looking for and one click later the room was filled with light.  It seemed he was in a large broom cupboard.

No sooner had his eyes grown accustomed to the sudden brightness than the door burst open and a cloaked figure entered the room.  He was an incubus and he did not look pleased.  And in that black leather trenchcoat, he looked almost like...

"Well, Mr. Jacks, You have caused us a great deal of trouble," he said, cracking his knuckles.

"No..." the rat whimpered, "I... I didn't... there must be some mistake.... I haven't done anything..."

"You're the head of development for M-corporation's embedded systems division.  The system software you wrote runs our nanoforge," the incubus replied evenly.  "Or did, rather, since it has now stopped working.  This makes me very angry.  It makes my engineering staff very angry too," he added, gesturing at another pair of incubi who had entered the room behind him.  Very, very angry incubi.

"It's not certified for critical environments," he began.  Dorcan punched him.

"Wrong answer," Jakob said.  "You work in the embedded systems division, remember?  It's marketed for industrial control applications, which it is apparently not capable of doing.  According to your own product literature and compliancy tests, the system has been proven mathematically correct.  Yet somehow it locks solid if we try to create a spotted or mottled fur pattern.  How is this possible?"

"Because they only tested the original release!" Ashley screamed.  Dorcan and Jakob both moved to restrain him.

"It was not doing this two days ago," Jakob continued as if nothing had happened, "Despite the fact that no changes have been made to our setup.  Now, you are going to find out why this is happening, and you are going to fix it for us."

"Me...?  But... but what if I can't?" he wailed.

Jakob gave Ashley a quizzical glance.

"I think we should kill him," he spat.  Jakob raised an eyebrow.

"But then he won't be able to fix the forge very easily," Dorcan objected.  "I think what we should do is kill his family.  In fact I think we should do that anyway.  The fact that we won't be able to resurrect them until the forge is fully operational would give him quite an incentive to make it work again..."

"R-resurrect?"  Jacks quavered.

"What do you think we're making here, toothbrushes?" Ashley snarled.

"Settle down," Jakob said equably.  "Please forgive my staff... as I say, they are very angry.  Understandably so.  But as you quite rightly said, you're a manager and probably not able to fix the problem single-handedly..."
Jacks looked at him with a dawning feeling of hope.

"...so I think we should kill you, and hope that your staff love you enough to repair the forge so you can be resurrected."

"What's all this about resurrection?" the rat whimpered.  "What has it got to do with the forge?"

"Never you mind," snapped the doberman.

"Now, now," said Jakob.  "If it helps him fix the problem, I see no reason why he shouldn't know what we're up to.  So long as he doesn't break the NDA of course."

"We've programmed the forge to make bodies for the dead," Ashley replied with relish, his eyes gleaming slightly.

"You're making b... biologicals?" Jacks whimpered, his eyes bulging.

"Not quite.  Show him, Dorcan."

"Why me?  Why can't you do it?"

"Firstly because I'm in charge, and secondly because you're the only replica in this room," Jakob said patiently.  Dorcan looked put out... apparently he'd forgotten the others were still alive.  Muttering curses to himself, he pulled up his shirt to expose a muscular-looking chest, and promptly pressed his hand against his left ribcage.  Nothing happened.

"You forgot the thumb," Jakob pointed out.  There was a faint click and the doberman's chest swung open to reveal a clean layout of circuit boards, cabling and actuators.  The rat looked ready to faint.

"Now remember," the wolf said, "This is all top-secret and covered by the non-disclosure agreement as part of our support contract.  Under no circumstances are you to tell anybody what you've seen before we go public, or I'll stick your head in the matter converter.  Understand?  Now, how many of your engineering and support staff are we going to need?"

A few minutes later, Jacks was alone again save for the presence of Jakob, who watched over his shoulder as he filled out the incident report.

"Very good," he said.  "Remember, if you succeed, you'll never see me again.  And if you fail, no-one will ever see you again..."

I hate having to do it this way, he thought, but that's just how it is with these multinationals... it's the only way to get results.

Incident #174292

Client:            Jayhawk Cybernetics
Primary Contact :  Kevan Daryil
Client Race:       Incubus
Deaths Threatened: 15
Severity:          High (live system down)
Logged by:         Jacks

Description:
Total freeze and loss of product when constructing polymer fibres containing cheetah or leopard spot patterns

"Don't forget the Being?"  Keaton wondered to herself, as she instructed her secretary to plan the trip.  What ever did he mean by that?

techmaster-glitch

Oooo, things are really getting interesting...can't wait for the next chapter, again.
And whoa, scaring that poor little software engineer...heh heh heh...

llearch n'n'daCorna

I -love- the incident report. The fact that it has a -field- for the number of death threats.... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

techmaster-glitch

The death threats field says fifteen, but I only counted five...Am I just way off and missing something entirely?

Zedd

Tapewolf

Quote from: Zedd on October 16, 2007, 09:59:33 PM
Not bad chapter there

I was happier with this one than the last :P

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 16, 2007, 09:51:41 PM
The death threats field says fifteen, but I only counted five...Am I just way off and missing something entirely?
A team of engineers and their families.  Remember, you aren't seeing the entire conversation here.  What's really wrong with this picture is that the incident number is only 1742... there should be a few more numbers on the end.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 16, 2007, 09:17:31 PM
I -love- the incident report. The fact that it has a -field- for the number of death threats.... ;-]
Heh, yeah, I thought you might.  Sadly my firm can be a bit like that too, but that's because we're too small not too big.  Note that the race is important too - the more dangerous they are the higher the job priority.  I must admit I was tempted to put 'Medium' for the severity...

And yeah... the number of times I've wanted to punch the Windows CE people is beyond measure...

Gabi

That was evil. But it looks like the company's accustomed to that treatment.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on October 17, 2007, 06:49:40 PM
That was evil. But it looks like the company's accustomed to that treatment.

It seemed a natural consequence of technology companies mostly being Beings, while having Creature clients.  If your Creature client gets angry they could kill you with relatively little repercussion, so you're likely to move mountains in order to keep them happy.

The problem then is that you'll get people using this technique spuriously, and eventually you're likely to have such an escalation that you'll only be able to get high-priority support by threatening to kill everyone.

Note that Jakob remains the voice of reason - they're actually doing something very close to a 'good cop, bad cop' routine, although how much of Ashley's rage is an act is not clear, even to me.

If you've ever tried to develop for Symbian, or use Microsoft's broken mobile development tools, or the Blackberry's broken, incompatible version of Java which doesn't work, or work around bugs in Windows CE, let me tell you there are times I'd love to be able to do this myself.   :mwaha

Tapewolf

Chapter 18 - Villainy

"Much as I find the idea... distasteful, he must be silenced," said Ashford.  The fennec nodded.

"Which particular member of the clan did you have in mind, sir?" he asked quietly.

"Daryil himself," Ashford replied.  The fennec's expression hardened, but he did not object.

"He is very powerful," he mused.  "He is after all, the clan leader.  This will be very difficult.  It may quite possibly be beyond my skill," he admitted.

"He isn't a tri-wing," the fox pointed out.  "Just some fraud who likes to pretend he's the clan founder.  Either way, he is alive.  Kill him... he'll die.  It shouldn't be too hard, and in any case, he is currently being held in New Kunda prison.  He won't be able to escape."

"And you want me to 'visit' him, sir?" the fennec smiled.

"Indeed.  If possible, make it look like a suicide.  Ultimately I leave the details to your discretion, of course, but that is definitely an option I'd explore.  Good luck, agent,"  Ashford added, handing him an envelope containing the mission details.

"Sir," said the fennec, snapping to attention and then turning to leave.

In the common room, Wils lay stretched in front of the fire like a dog.  The others were reading or watching the news except for Ashley, Dorcan and Niall, who were playing cards with Kirian.  They generally did this for the amusement value as the warp-aci didn't seem to be able to remember which particular game they were playing for more than about three minutes at a stretch.

Police admit they are still no nearer to finding the murderer of former councillor Renward Wils.  An inside source, speaking on condition of anonymity, reluctantly conceded it was possible that the murderer may never be caught.  In other news, speculation surrounds the trial of the renegade incubus Daryil, due to conclude this afternoon...

Jakob entered the room followed by a male cheetah who walked stiffly into the room, his face expressionless, his eyes glazed and vacant.

"Happy birthday, Renward..." Jakob called.  "I've got your new body at last!"

Wils scrabbled to his feet and stared at his replica.  He padded around it three times.  "It's very nice," he said finally, "but I think I prefer this one."

Jakob's headwings drooped.  "I beg your pardon?"  He looked incredulous.

"I prefer being a jaguar," he replied.  "It's fun."

"But you've got no hands!"

"Look," said Wils.  "Someone's killed me, right?  So if word gets out that I'm alive again, they'll be looking for a cheetah, right?  They aren't going to be looking for a robot feral jaguar, are they?  And even if they do, they'd have one heck of a job getting through my armour!"

"You know I could force you, don't you?"  said Jakob in a cold, dangerous voice.  Everyone went silent.  "Armour or no, I could rip your soul out and cram it into the cheetah, right here and now in this very room..."

"But you wouldn't, though... would you?" Wils replied, suddenly doubtful.

"Nah." Jakob replied,   "I'm sure you'll change your mind eventually.  I'll just have to put the cheetah into stasis until then."

"Wait," Wils said.  "How about a compromise?  You can control these things remotely, right?  Can you fit a transceiver into me, so that I can teleoperate it myself?"

Jakob looked thoughtfully from the cheetah to the panther and back.  "Well, the aircraft can do it, and your brain is based on the same basic technology... it should be doable.  I'll have to look into it."

"Oh, and how about a control program to make it follow me around when it's not in use?  We could put shades over its eyes so its eyes don't look quite so creepy..."

"Yeah, certainly," he replied, "But not right now... I have an appointment.  Joshua, I'll need you too."

It takes all sorts to make a world,  Jakob thought to himself.  So Wils is a Feralist, eh?  I'd never have guessed that.  That alone would have got him 'spending more time with his family' if Wellbrook Council found out...
Wondering again why someone would wish they were a non-sentient animal, Jakob hid his wings to assume a Being form and then morphed his clothes into a business suit. Taking Joshua by the hand, he teleported to the main offices.

"Welcome, Commander," Jakob said, shaking his hand warmly in the spacious foyer of Jayhawk Cybernetics' headquarters as he handed the fox a visitors' badge.  "When can we expect the other delegate?"

"No, it's just me," Ashford replied, slightly taken aback.  "Now, I do apologise, but if you'll excuse me, I would like to use your, ah, cloakroom... before the meeting actually starts..."

"Be my guest," Jakob responded, pointing at a corner of the foyer. "On your left, just before the stairs."

A little while later, he reappeared and Jakob led him to the meeting room.  Ashford became a bit nervous as he was led down a somewhat drab corridor, different to the plush offices he had expected.
"I'm sorry about the decor," Jakob said, almost on cue, "All the other meeting rooms were booked.  A sales presentation, you know..."
Ashford was somewhat reassured by this, but his paranoia returned when they went through a locked door marked 'Authorised Personnel Only'.  The temperature on the other side of this door was noticeably colder.

"Here we are," Jakob said, sitting down in a comfortable chair in a boardroom.  Joshua was already there, waiting for them.  Ashford cast him a glance and was not reassured by the particularly frosty expression upon his face.

"Now, how are we going to do this?"  Jakob asked.  "Most unlike you to forget the proper protocol!  Normally such negotiations would have two on each side... a Being and a 'Cubi, so that trust can be assured since each side can read the other's thoughts and emotions.  Sadly that is impractical now, since your side only has the 'Cubi."  Ashford looked at him, incredulous.

"What the hell are you talking about?" he began indignantly, but Jakob waved him quiet.

"Please don't drag this out, Keaton." he said.  "I know it's you."  Her heart stopped for a moment.

"All right," he said in Keaton's voice, "I'm here on his behalf.  How did you know?"

"Please, I'm insulted!" Jakob laughed.  "You think I can't tell a 'Cubi mind-shield from a Being one?  Of course, what really clinched it was your little trip before the meeting," he replied sadly.  "You forgot what you were doing and went in the ladies.  Of course, I had been watching for any unusual signs, since you've been impersonating Ashford for at least a week."

Ashford's slightly sceptical expression was belied by the fact that he seemed to have been glued to the chair.  Or petrified.  Though her body was immobile, Keaton's mind was doing flip-flops.  "How did you know it was me?" she asked.  It might be useful for future reference and in any case it would buy her time.

"You didn't remember his conversation from before," Jakob said.  "All that bullshit about the Subtle Paw's all-seeing eye.  Worse, you didn't seem to know anything about them at all, whereas Ashford was obsessed with them."

"What's the difference?" Keaton said, flushing her disguise as she came to a sudden decision.  "Nothing's really changed.  Whether it's Ashford or me who's asking, I'm still here to negotiate Joshua's release.  So... what do you want in exchange for him?"

"Well, in principle I have no objection to returning him to you," Jakob said.  "However, that's not really my call to make.  Personally I'd advise him to stay, but the final decision must rest with him.  And whatever decision he reaches, I'll back that decision up.  If he wants to go with you, fine.  If he wants to stay here, he stays - whether you want to him to or not."  He turned expectantly to Joshua.

"Frankly, I'd prefer to stay," he said, and gazed at Keaton with a rather irritable expression.
"After all, what's in it for me?  You sent me on a mission that got me killed.  Then you imprisoned me, tried to dismantle me, and finally put me to work spying on the very person who I owe my life to.  And if, as I suspect, you've dismantled Ashford, it becomes a bit of a no-brainer, doesn't it?"

"How about it, Keaton?" Jakob asked.  "Is Ashford alive or dead?"

"He's dead," she replied.  "He turned against me, so I had to kill him.  What's it matter?  He was just another Being."

"So am I," Joshua retorted.  "And if that was your attitude towards your direct superior, I fear you've rather confirmed my decision.  I resign."

Keaton glowered at him.

"Now, one thing that puzzles me..." Jakob mused, "why would Ashford have turned on you so suddenly?  He was a bit loopy, but he must have had a reason..."

"Well, he probably thought I was one of his precious Subtle Paw agents, didn't he?"

"Are you sure it wasn't because he realised why you wanted my weapons technologies?" Jakob prompted, watching her very carefully.  Keaton looked shocked for a moment, almost scared.

"NOW!" she yelled.  There was a flash of light during which time she made a sudden movement and before Jakob or Joshua had realised what was going on, she had vanished.  Jakob swore a string of foul oaths to various heathen gods as he reached to pick up the only remaining evidence of her visit, a small document case of brown leather.  "mind-shield," he muttered to himself.

"How the frig did she do that?"  Joshua said, awestruck.  "You can't teleport inside the base without a charm to negate the wards."

"She used a warp-aci," Jakob explained, as he examined the briefcase, tipping a few blank papers to the floor.  "It was hidden inside this.  But we scanned her possessions when she arrived!  She... must have summoned it while she was in the ladies room.  And now she'll have the run of the base!" as he spoke, he was pressing one of the buttons on his wristwatch, holding it in for ten seconds.  It was a public broadcast to everyone equipped with a watch or internal communicator.

ATTENTION, ALL PERSONNEL!  THERE IS AN INTRUDER IN THE FACILITY, A SUCCUBUS NAMED KEATON.
SHE IS TO BE APPREHENDED AT ONCE.  SHE MAY WELL BE HOSTILE.  USE SILENT ALARMS ONLY - WE DON'T WANT TO SPOOK HER.
DORCAN, RESCIND ASHFORD'S VISTOR PASS FROM THE SECURITY SYSTEM.  NIALL, SHUT DOWN THE GATE LINK TO HEADQUARTERS.
REPEAT, SHE IS PROBABLY HOSTILE.  PETTERSOHN OUT.

It's going to be one of those days, he sighed.

Drake Manaweilder

Quote"You forgot what you were doing and went in the ladies."

I guess you never know the damage a short attention span can do to a disguise until it's too late huh?  :rolleyes

Awesome chapter Tape.  :mowmeep

Tapewolf

Quote from: Drake Manaweilder on October 27, 2007, 09:01:40 PM
I guess you never know the damage a short attention span can do to a disguise until it's too late huh?  :rolleyes
Indeed.

QuoteAwesome chapter Tape.  :mowmeep
Well, it's not bad.  It's mostly to set things up for the next chapter when things really hits the fan  :mwaha

**EDIT**
Oh, and a big thankyou to Keaton for her advice on the dialogue.

Zedd

Gabi

Excellent chapter, JP. I don't even know what I liked best about this one.

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 27, 2007, 08:25:59 PM

It's going to be one of those days, he sighed.

Agreed. Interesting way to put it.

Tapewolf

Special thanks to Keaton for her help with the dialog.

Chapter 19 - Crisis

"Protect Simeon," Jakob instructed Joshua.  "Keaton knows she's not going to get the weapons tech now, so the only possible reason she'd want to stick around or return here would be to kill him.  You'll find him in the lab.  I've got to warn the company HQ in case she escapes."  So saying, he vanished, with a black flash.  The husky obediently headed towards the main laboratory.

"Surprise," said a voice.  The fox span around and his eyes widened in terror, unable to speak as the hand reached out of the darkness to take him.

No... please...  I didn't mean it...  not my soul... not my soul... not my

Simeon was in the lab when Joshua arrived.  "Thank the gods," he said.  "What do we do now?"

"We just stay here and wait for the others," Josh replied, standing beside him.  He seemed a little agitated.

"NO!" shouted a voice from the door and Simeon looked around in confusion, only to see Joshua run into the room again.  Astonished, he turned back just in time to see Keaton grab him by the throat as the grey faded from her fur.

Jakob, Ashley and Niall burst into the room, Jakob wielding a crossbow.  "The game's up, Keaton," he said.

"Not while I've got Daryil's lover it isn't.  Now be a good little incubus and put the weapon down, or I'll snap bish-boy's neck."

"Since he's a Kamei'Sin, I'm sure that was the idea all along, wasn't it?" said Jakob contemptuously, but he complied anyway, and gestured for Ash and Niall to do likewise.

"What's a kammy-sin?" asked Simeon confusedly.

"Your clan," said Jakob.  "And Keaton here is one of the few survivors of the Jyraneth clan.  Deadly rivals.  The fact that you are blissfully ignorant of your heritage is probably not going to be enough to sway her, I'm afraid."

"Spot on," the jackal smiled, pressing her muzzle against his ear.  "This is going to be your last night on Furrae, you inbred little shit," she told him.

"Inbred?  What's she mean?  I'm half-Being, aren't I?"

Keaton threw back her head and laughed.  "Well, doesn't that just prove my point?" she scoffed.  "Killing you is almost a mercy."  Out of the corner of her eye she saw Dorcan approaching the door.  A wing-tentacle streaked out and slammed it shut in his face.  A manual bolt slammed home leaving the Doberman to hammer uselessly against the armoured door.

She turned back to Simeon, his throat kept in an armlock.  "Well, well," she smiled at Jakob, who looked back at her in disgust.  "I seem to have outwitted the legendary Johan Cross.  Now, since I hold his life in my hands, I want you tell me your little secret, Cross." she said.  "Something remarkable happened in the forest and you're gonna tell me the whole story."

"Okay," Jakob began.  "Listen very carefully.  Once upon a time there were three little pigs and a particularly tenacious encyclopedia salesman..."

"SHUT UP!  I want to know how you survived death, Cross.  I want you to tell me how you came back from the headless dead and killed Torris...  'Cause if you can do it, so can the Kamei'Sin, and that's something I can't have.  Now tell me how you did it... or you'll get to see his head come off right now.  I know all about your blood phobia," she grinned horribly.  "...and what caused it."

"All right," sighed Jakob.  "It's been a while, but I think I remember it..."  He closed his eyes and morphed.  Seconds later a rangy feline with pale turquoise fur was standing before her.

"So, you killed him and took his place?"  Keaton said, her eyes narrowing as an appreciative smile touched her muzzle.  "I didn't think you had it in you.  But that doesn't explain how the head you brought back looked like you and its DNA matched yours... or did you somehow falsify the lab results?"

"No," said Torris, a slight twang to his voice.  "The head was real.  It just wasn't mine.  You see, before the android project was viable I began looking into cloning techniques.  It took more than 25 years, but I managed to create a clone of myself.  Without a soul."

Keaton boggled, relaxing her grip on Simeon ever so slightly.

"You think I could bring myself to raise and then slaughter a copy of me?"  Torris said.  "It would be like murdering my own son.  But 'Jacob' wasn't sentient.  He had a complete nervous system but I used magic to prevent his soul from forming correctly.  I had to teleoperate him, like a puppet.  And when his headwings appeared - which took some effort to ensure, I'll admit - the two of us went for a little walk in Woe Forest.  He wore one of my old leather trenchcoats... I went in the ridiculous half-naked style expected of an adventurer." he rolled his eyes.

"The really difficult bit was making the kill.  You can't imagine how hard it is to shoot... yourself... in the heart and then cut your own head off... but it had to be done.  I knew they wouldn't let me rest until I was dead."

The jackal was silent for a moment.  Then, "You planned the whole thing?  You set out to claim the bounty on yourself?"

"Yep.  There never was a Torris... he was just someone I made up.  And of course the revenge attack was staged so that he could disappear.  We did need some feline blood for the stains in case anyone tried a DNA sample, but I have Ashley here to thank for that."

Keaton looked appalled as Jakob morphed back into his proper wolf form.  He decapitated someone and then spread his friend's blood around the room... he's overcome the phobia!  Shit!

"Daryil will be very angry about this," Jakob warned.  "Now, just let Simeon go and we'll forget this ever happened..."

"Daryil?"  Keaton laughed.  "I made sure he was out the way first before I even began this.  I told you we had links to the Being-Creature Council.  Who do you think tipped the police off?  Who had the charges increased?"

Jakob looked furious and his wing-tentacles came out, the heads staring back at her.  He looked like he was about to attack her when he suddenly collapsed in agony.  So did Ashley and Niall.  As they lay gasping on the ground the heads on their tentacles flickered and faded away.

"Yessss!"  Keaton crowed ecstatically, for it seemed her assassin had succeeded.  "He did it!  No more fake clan for you, guys.  It's over!"  Simeon made an incoherent noise of despair.  Jakob tried to rise, but it was far beyond his strength...  The best he could do was flop over so he could see Keaton, who had now turned her whole attention back to Simeon.

"This is a death you've long deserved," she crooned in an almost distracted voice, caressing the terrified wolf's hair as she spoke.  "Nice and slow and full of pain... and then when it's finally over I'm gonna take your soul..."  One of her wing tentacles dangled a necklace in front of him.

"See this?  I call it 'Hell', and it's a special place I have for Kamei'Sin souls.  After a millennia of suffering and torment you'll wish I'd simply devoured you..."

Jakob looked on in horror, still too weak even to sit up, let alone defend the other wolf... his only real consolation was that she wasn't going to eat him.

Around Simeon's neck was an expensive diamond-studded collar which Daryil had bought him.  One of these gems was a soulstone, and with luck it would take his soul before Keaton could... especially if he willed himself to die.  And if it didn't, well, they'd have to break the evil bitch's neck and then rescue Simeon from Hell.  But both these plans were more like avenging his death than a rescue because they'd only be able to carry them out after Simeon had already died a horrible death.  Would Daryil still love him if he was a machine?

The young wolf knew what coming and his terror was palpable.  As if to add insult to injury, fear was one of Jakob's primary emotions and it tasted sweet to him.

"Jakob... Daryil... please... help..." he whimpered.

"Your sugardaddy can't help you," Keaton smiled.  "'cause he's dead.  And now he's out the way, we can begin.  Your kind took my eye..."  She morphed her claws slightly, sharpening them to razor points.  "...so take a look at this room, little Simeon.  Take a good, long look.  'Cause it'll be the last thing you'll ever see."

"Gug," she added as something wrapped itself tightly around her throat.

"Peace be with you, my children," said a voice.  Rising groggily, Jakob looked up and his eyes bugged.  Behind the succubus was a shining figure dressed in a long, flowing robe.  -! he thought.   This is it, I've finally gone crazy.   And the Church always said He was a human...

The newcomer stood before them making a gesture of blessing.  There was a serene expression upon his face, although this was difficult to see from the yellow glow coming from behind his head.  Hold on... since when did Jesus have tentacles?  And that's not a halo, that's his...

"Daryil...?" the young wolf croaked.

The fox had heads on his wing-tentacles, but there was something odd about them.  Not the fact that one of them was wearing rose-tinted glasses, nor even that another one had what looked suspiciously like a reefer in its mouth, but there was something distinctly more... solid about them.  Looking round, Jakob saw that his own tentacles had heads again, although they were moving of their own accord, apparently grubbing for food.

"Keaton, I do hope you're not trying to seduce my dear Simeon," Daryil said.  "After all, I am a jealous god..."

Oh f*ck... he's flipped out real good this time, Jakob thought.

"Manners, Jakob," he replied.  The wolf whimpered.

"Shut up!" gurgled Keaton, her eyes narrowing as she scrabbled to free her throat.  "Let me go, or I'll take his soul!"  This had been her plan to begin with, but now she was trapped.  Simeon had just changed from being prey to a bargaining chip.

"I don't think that would be advisable," Daryil said, smiling paternally at her.  Keaton tugged at the wolf's soul to prove she meant it - Simeon's cry of pain and terror might be enough to wipe the stupid grin off his face.  But the wolf didn't seem to feel a thing.

She did though.  A strange and horrible rippling sensation shivered through her and she let out a gasp of agony.

"I've put intercepts on your powers," he continued, as Keaton tried harder to attack the young wolf only to be rebuffed again.

"I wouldn't keep doing that by the way," he added as she collapsed to the floor.  "I don't know what happens if a succubus actually eats her own soul but I imagine it would be a deeply unpleasant experience.  At the very least it would kill your body."

Keaton picked herself up dizzily and stared uncomprehendingly at the glowing figure of Daryil.  Somehow Simeon was no longer standing next to her.

"Come," he said.  "If Jakob doesn't mind I think we should pray.  Express your desires freely.  Don't be afraid... I know them already.  For I am the creator and ruler of the univer-"

"Stop it!" Jakob yelled.  "You've copied that word-for-word from The Ruling Class.  Daryil... for the sake of our sanity... will you please explain why, for the love of all the gods, you are standing there cosplaying as Jesus?"

"It seemed the best way to celebrate my ascendancy," he said, looking slightly put out.  His headwings stopped glowing.

"Ascendancy?" queried Jakob.  He looked extremely puzzled.  And then afraid.

Daryil did not answer in words.  He smiled beatifically and the robe faded away like mist.  Jakob, Niall and Ashley looked awestruck.  Simeon had an expression of sheer adoration, and Joshua simply looked confused.  Keaton gulped and her pawpads began to sweat profusely.  The incubus was wearing a pair of striped boxer shorts.  Slightly above these, protruding from his hips, were a large pair of feathered wings.

They found the fennec shivering in the corner of the cell where Daryil had been held.  There was a lollipop at this feet and he seemed to be mumbling something about his soul.  By morning the fox was able to answer some questions in a shaky voice, but his eyes would glaze over again if he was asked to recall what had happened that night.

GabrielsThoughts

teleoperating a clone that you specifically engineered not to have a soul. Killing another living creature and then bragging about it makes you sound kinda' ...villianious.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on November 09, 2007, 07:19:28 PM
teleoperating a clone that you specifically engineered not to have a soul. Killing another living creature and then bragging about it makes you sound kinda' ...villainous.
I suppose it does, really.  On the other hand, if it has no soul or mind, it's basically just a lump of meat.

Gabi

Just when I'd thought Daryil couldn't become any crazier...

I liked the part about the encyclopedia salesman, by the way.

Zedd

schizo

Normally i would say something along the lines of"He has gone insane with power"but considering it's Daryil.......

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on November 09, 2007, 07:37:37 PM
Just when I'd thought Daryil couldn't become any crazier...

See also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC-1X0MaWQE

QuoteI liked the part about the encyclopedia salesman, by the way.
Yeah, I had an even better idea as well, but I decided to see if I can work it into a collection of songs.

Quote from: Zedd on November 09, 2007, 09:05:38 PM
Sounds like Keaton is doing alot here
Yeah - to be honest her role has expanded far beyond what I originally intended, but that's really because it just works so well.

Quote from: schizo on November 09, 2007, 09:39:51 PM
Normally i would say something along the lines of"He has gone insane with power"but considering it's Daryil.......
That's the beauty of it.  A full tri-wing character is basically too powerful (and too little-understood) to work properly with our current knowledge of DMFA.  But Daryil didn't 'work properly' to begin with.  As far is he's concerned, it makes him a full clan founder, immortal, and the godlike powers are a bonus to allow for grander and more intricate practical jokes.  It's a bit like having full 'Cubi powers and using them exclusively to peel oranges or something.

SpottedKitty

For some reason the image of a tri-winged Daryil standing there wearing striped boxers makes me giggle insanely.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.