is this guy right? (driving related)

Started by Leafar, September 07, 2006, 04:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leafar

i was re-watching Initial D just now and i saw a thing that i think it passed by me before...see:

''to make it simple, how fast you are is determined by how experienced you are.the severity of a professional racer's need to shorten his lap-times...
if there is such a thing as natural talent for driving, it just means that the person will improve just a little faster than everyone else.there's no such thing as an innate talent that overcomes repeated effort and practice.
winning and losing is a matter of how experienced you are.''

is this truly right? i mean, so how come we see people that are even under age rock on the experienced ones???? :S
btw, this quote makes some sense to me...but i don't know if it is truly right...

llearch n'n'daCorna

reaction time plays some effect in this. A newbie with excellent reaction time may beat an older, more experienced player with slightly slower reactions...

It's just one of those things. *shrug* lots of variables, so...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

King Of Hearts

Experience plays a big factor, because Experience also raises reaction. But if the oponent is intristically incapable, no matter how much he tries he will succumb.

The deciding factor is "potential." Natural talent will get you to your limit first, but experience and hardwork also will.

Leafar

luiqui

Well, according to this article in Scientific American, generally speaking the main factor in determining someone's mastery of a field is experience - or rather, training. It mentions a Hungarian who set out to deliberately make chess experts of his three daughters by training them every day - one is an international master and two are grandmasters, the youngest ranked 14th in the world. There is also a study of professional football (soccer) players that shows that they are more likey than most to have been born at such a time to ensure that they would be older than most when joining junior leagues. Their improved strength would mean they would outperform their teammates, and consequently gain the motivation to improve.

Jack McSlay

it does depend on both talent and training.

some people clearly learn certain things easier than others. the brain has separate divisions, and with each one taking care of different abilities, some people will obviusly grow skills faster than others.

and it's also obvious that seasoned drivers will brag about their experience and if a new one gets a great position, they will claim it as being begginner's luck  >:3
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Leafar

Gryphon

You do realize you are completely forgetting the car itself. Experience does many things. It lets you cut corners, pull off neat tricks, prevent the opponent from passing you and knowing the exact moment you can take the lead. But if the car isn't up to specs then no amount of experience can save you.

Spoilers.

The hero himself is also a victim of random circumstance. In a episode around the third season his car engine blows out. Dude may have been a driving genius, he may be a master of drifting and the lay of the land. But a blown engine totally screws your chances of winning.

End spoilers.

However, all things being equal, experience will add a lot to the equation of winning a race. Several times during the series the characters are challenged by the fact that his opponent has a flat out better car than they do. It then comes down to them playing catchup and taking the lead before the opponents car can fully unleash itself on the straightaways.

Oh and frankly sometimes luck and a good navigator can do wonders to the equation as well. There are many tricks to racing. Some good, some bad and some don't really matter. Experience generally is the key to unlocking those tricks though.

Leafar

so everyone is showing opinions but we all fall into the same hole...experience IS the most important...