Inception in Furrae?

Started by Eboreg, April 05, 2013, 12:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eboreg

There's a bit of a running theme in DMFA of having Furraean equivalents to cultural icons on our world. MacGuyver, Harry Potter, and Doctor Who have Furraean fans, the zombie movie genre is just as prevalent there as here despite how offensive it may be, and Wildy successfully released and marketed a book parodying the spy genre.

What I was wondering was how a movie like Inception would fit in? It's pretty obvious that in Furrae, the main character would be a 'Cubi but several plot points in there would not mesh with the laws of Furraean dream-reading. Any ideas?
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Anri

A cubi within a cubi, there's already films for that. But we shan't discuss those!

Amber Williams

Quote from: Anri on April 05, 2013, 03:16:02 PM
A cubi within a cubi, there's already films for that. But we shan't discuss those!

Dangit. I lol'd. :U

ChaosMageX

Honestly, way back when Amber was selling the original line-art for the clan leaders, I was basically trying to ask Kish'ta how much of the movie Inception is really possible with the mechanics of Cubi dream-reading.  Of course, since Amber stated that the clan leaders would be answering the letters in character and might even outright refuse to answer if the question confused or upset them, I had to be very careful in phrasing the question and avoid directly referencing a movie that might not even exist in the Furrae.

You can view my attempt at composing such a question and the answer it got right here: http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7051/kishtaletter300a.png

Given the first paragraph of the letter, my attempt to avoid confusing her wasn't entirely successful, but I still succeeded in getting some interesting information from her regardless.  One of the useful bits of information from Kish'ta's response is that there are spells out there that can allow just about any race to enter dreams, which means that in theory, there could be a magical equivalent of the device used in the movie, which could augment a cubi's natural dream reading ability and/or give others that ability with mechanics that could roughly fit the ones used in Inception.
However, in the letter there's just as much dismissing the mechanics behind Inception as there is supporting it, particularly when it comes to the difficult task of extracting or planting information, probably because the dream mechanics in Furrae are based on real life dream mechanics.  Those who have watched the special features of the Inception and/or read the Wikipedia page and the articles it cites also know that not much of the movie necessarily meshes well with how dreams work in real life.
Also, one has to always remember to heed the warning given in both the Cubi Mental Abilities Demo 101 and in Kish'ta's letter to beware of other, much more dangerous critters that could be lurking in the sleeping minds of others.

Still, given how many ill rumors have been spread about Cubi over-exaggerating their natural abilities and their use of them for morally abhorrent reasons, odds are there are at least some movies about overly dramatized dream manipulation, likely horror movies that might have even been created by members of Kish'ta's clan, but then again the possible general lack of horror movies involving Cubi might say otherwise, although Kria's video library could just be biased towards the demon and undead that live there.

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on April 05, 2013, 06:17:16 PM
Given the first paragraph of the letter, my attempt to avoid confusing her wasn't entirely successful, but I still succeeded in getting some interesting information from her regardless.  

IIRC you were trying to mush about 5 questions into one, so yeah :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E