2013/04/05 [DMFA #1391] Nooo! My pretty meltable wings!

Started by xom, April 05, 2013, 01:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Mordsith on April 06, 2013, 04:51:57 PM
Quote from: Nino on April 05, 2013, 10:05:14 PM
It makes sense though that he wouldn't wear jeans ever, since he'd probably need more flexibility in combat than they would afford him.

Except in this strip - and the rest of that day. Presumably because it was part of his party attire.

You're presuming that those are jeans, or denim. That's not a given - not least because "denim" comes from Nimes, in France - hence "de Nimes" degenerated into denim. Note that there's a ^ over the i in that, but my keyboard won't type that easily.

And there's no France in Furrae, last I looked. So... using the english word so english readers understand, even if the name they use for the same fabric would be totally different.

I'm not totally sure, but I think there's a derivation as to where "jeans" came from that is similar...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Lurkie

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 06, 2013, 09:04:49 PM
Quote from: Mordsith on April 06, 2013, 04:51:57 PM
Quote from: Nino on April 05, 2013, 10:05:14 PM
It makes sense though that he wouldn't wear jeans ever, since he'd probably need more flexibility in combat than they would afford him.

Except in this strip - and the rest of that day. Presumably because it was part of his party attire.

You're presuming that those are jeans, or denim. That's not a given - not least because "denim" comes from Nimes, in France - hence "de Nimes" degenerated into denim. Note that there's a ^ over the i in that, but my keyboard won't type that easily.

And there's no France in Furrae, last I looked. So... using the english word so english readers understand, even if the name they use for the same fabric would be totally different.

I'm not totally sure, but I think there's a derivation as to where "jeans" came from that is similar...

You just had to say that, didn't you? :)  Now I've gone and learned something new.  :)

Quote from: The Wikipedia article on Jeans
The story of jeans begins in the city of Genoa, in Italy, famous for its cotton corduroy, called either jean or jeane; the jeans fabric from Genoa (at that time) was in fact very similar to corduroy. During the Republic of Genoa, the jeans were exported by sailors of Genoa throughout Europe. In the French city of Nimes, weavers tried to reproduce the fabric exactly, but without success. However, with experimentation, and through trial and error, they developed another twill fabric that became known as denim, literally "de Nimes". Only at the end of the nineteenth century did jeans arrive in the United States.

You can find the entire article here.  Oh, and the author of that article didn't use a circumflex over the i in "de NĂ®mes" either.  (I had to use my character map to get the accent; I can never remember how to type them in directly.)
|  Space   ||   Space  ||  It's Hard  ||  A Place  ||  Burma  |
|  is Big  ||  is Dark ||   to Find   ||  to Park  ||  Shave  |

llearch n'n'daCorna

Italians and French. Always at the forefront of popular fashion. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gentlehunter

Dan: "These are not my pants." http://youtu.be/CKHLwkf3vSY?t=4m52s

(Listen to the whole "Pants" medley for some lulz:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKHLwkf3vSY ) :mwaha