Frostfall [OOC/Signup]

Started by Arcalane, November 26, 2012, 07:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcalane

Time for another ill-thought-out and seasonally-appropriate(ish) experiment! I make no promises as to how long this one will last but maybe it'll do better than before, maybe not. Let's give it a go.

Another frozen twilight. Or, at least, it's probably twilight. Hard to tell these days.

Two, maybe three dozen folks or so have gathered 'round an old bonfire that crackles, stacked with fresh fuel. Mugs of warm drinks - or stiff drinks, nevermind what the medics say - are passed around to ward off the cold.

An older man, maybe in his 50s, sits on the stairs in front of an old library, a half-circle of faces gathered round as he talks.

He tells a story. A new but all too familiar story...

"Three years ago now, the world froze over.

Well, alright, that's 'n absurd simplification of th' actual events. Let's start over again.

...three years ago, somethin' went wrong. Really wrong. Nobody's sure if it was a bomb, or the global terraformin' systems, or a freaky meteor, or what. The skies filled with thick ol' clouds that haven't cleared up since, save to let the odd ray of sunshine through. Oh, sure, there's enough light to see by and know whether it's day or not, no problem, but you can't see the stars at night any more.

Ah, the stars. I remember 'em well. The starport here was the finest on the planet, in the whole system even! Now it's just a big ol' set've icefields, frozen over concrete and shipfuel turned solid, the terminals, lobbies, concourses... all abandoned. People took their bags and went home. There are a few ships left there, of course, but they can't fly any more. They got picked clean a long time ago, nevermind the ice froze 'em to the pad. Same for the ones down in the planetside drydocks, frozen solid and stripped bare for food and anything that'll keep a person warm and alive.

The snow and ice came down pretty hard... falls ain't as bad as they used to be, sure, but there ain't nothin' but snowdrifts beyond the city walls now. No roads or highways or magrails, just snow and ice. Good and solid, that ice. Froze the rail lines solid, and snow blocked up most of the city gates. If it weren't for the geotherm plants and the algae and the wells, we'd all be frozen, trapped in that ice... rather than just surrounded by it.

Yeah, that ice... weird stuff. The way it shifts and grows, the way it seems to hate all the advanced technology and machinery, you'd think it were alive, that it had a mind of its own. Wherever it came from, it hit hard and fast. Ships in the sky froze solid and dropped like stones, and... well, I already said what happened to the ones on the ground. They were the lucky ones, if you ask me. If there are any still in orbit, we haven't heard from 'em yet. Nothing gets past those clouds - ships, radio waves, nothin'. Somethin' about it reflectin' off all the ice crystals. All the really fancy comms tech is ice-wracked now, so that's outta th' question too.

Point is, we're stuck down here.

'least, that's what most people say. But here's the thing... some fella, one'a them Archivists or whatever? He thinks he figured out the cause of it all, an' he's lookin' for people to help him fix it. Make the ice go away. He don't want to put the word out too clearly, mind, 'case the City Watch get any funny ideas, or anyone comes to ask him the wrong kinda questions.

So, here I am, tellin' the story to folks 'round a fire and a good mug of hot cocoa. I can put a good word in with this guy if y' think you got what it takes to save us all. Maybe he'll tell you to come find him somewhere, maybe not."

Profile: fill it out, PM it to me. Once I tell you that you're approved, post it here.

GM notes for things that might need clarification are in bulletpoints beneath the lines.

QuoteName: "Fella's gotta know yer name - or at least what most people call you - if he's gonna get in touch."
Age: "Not the most important, but it helps t' know. If y' still remember, that is."
Race/Species: "Human? Beastfolk? Well, that ain't exactly a polite thing to call 'em, but it works, and most don't mind. Just remember... none'a yer fancy elves or fae or demons or whatever in this city."

• The following choices are available;
  • Human: Once the overwhelming majority on the planet, they were thus the hardest-hit. Still a majority of sorts, but the ratios are much more even nowadays.
  • Beastfolk: Replace 'beast' with the appropriate species... catfolk, or whathaveyou. Though crossbreeding with humans happens, it's frowned upon, uncomfortable, and uncommon - most beastfolk you see are pureblood.
Gender: "What do folk address you by? Ser fer men and Sera fer women are th' traditional titles 'round these parts..."

Description: "Sum up your appearance 'n' personality a bit, so he knows who 'n' what t' look for if he calls for you."

Past Deeds and Current Designs: "What've you done with yourself since - and before - the ice came, hm? What do you do with yourself now? Perhaps you were with the Watch, but aren't any more? A starport worker, a medic, a thief, a beggar, or maybe just a drifter lookin' to survive as long as y' can?"

Skills: "What do you know that makes you valuable, in this society? What keeps you alive? Nobody likes a leech, not in this day and age."

Possessions: "Most folk don't keep more than they can carry with them, these days. No need for it, really. Most electronics have stopped working properly since the ice came, housin' is a temporary arrangement at best, and the Watch don't take too kindly to folk that carry weapons without permits. Most carry a journal to help 'em remember, a little food and drink, and some spare clothes, but that's about it."

• Sum up only your most important possessions, and remember those of your profession/skillset. Also keep in mind that most tech doesn't really work properly any more.
  • Keep in mind that the City Watch tends to confiscate weapons and they were already uncommon before things got cold. Energy weapons are the order of the day - slugthrowers went out of fashion decades ago.
  • Oh, and do remember to wrap up warm.

Techniques: "Not many folk remember the good Art, not in this day and age. Fewer still remember how t' use it. I don't, m'self... never turned out Gifted. Probably best y' not say much for now, and maybe not ask too many questions. The answers'll come soon enough, if you're Gifted. Heh, but I've said too much already."

• Techniques and the Art, as they are called, are the curious equivalent to magic in this 'verse. More accurately, Techniques are simply the result of incredibly advanced technology, and the Art is the means of controlling that technology -- but nobody knows that. Most people don't even know the Art exists, nowadays, and fewer still are considered 'Gifted' in that they possess the potential to learn the Art. If you wish to take a shot at being Gifted, simply ask; but know that it is not guaranteed.

Inumo

Before it's too late, I'm gonna say now that I'm interested. I should be able to get a character written up after Friday, since NaNoWriMo will be over then.

ShadesFox

So I asked my cats if I was ready to try at a scifi type rp again. All I got was a left paw right paw. So, I'll throw in a profile later.
The All Purpose Fox

Tipod

If at least two people are in then I'm in.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Azlan

The dragons keep beating up my poor mesmer, so maybe a hostile land of frosted hell may be better.  What is your drop dead date for profiles?
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Arcalane

There is none, yet. I've only had one drop into my inbox thusfar, so I don't see the point in setting a deadline. 'specially not around this time of year. :U

Arcalane

I know I said there's no deadline guys but that's no excuse to slack off.  :U

Inumo

Gah! Sorry, finals and more suddenly attacked. I'll try to get a profile written up tonight or tomorrow.

Tipod

I'm probably going to have to sit this one out on second thought; if you need everyone together from the start, I'm gonna be gone for a week on family stuff and I'm having the damnedest trouble thinking.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

ShadesFox

The All Purpose Fox

Azlan

Sorry, I kinda got busy.  Plus, I was waiting for others to finish, so I could make a meta decision based on other characters.

It also appears I need another means to host files for my little pictures and signature items...
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Arcalane

Then I'm afraid you'll be waiting 'til the cows come home, as I'm waiting for more drafts before I get stuck into giving feedback.

Quote from: Tipod on December 22, 2012, 12:22:20 AM
I'm probably going to have to sit this one out on second thought; if you need everyone together from the start, I'm gonna be gone for a week on family stuff and I'm having the damnedest trouble thinking.

We're in no hurry to start, but opportunities to add new recruits may be somewhat limited depending on various circumstances.