Anyone affected by the storm? Everyone okay?

Started by Sofox, October 30, 2012, 07:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sofox

A very belated topic, but I wanna make sure everyone is okay. I'm trying to think about everyone who lives on the East Coast of America. I'm pretty sure that Alondro lives smack dab in the middle of the hurrican's path. I think Aisha's in that general area too... (maybe...?). Who else? Is everyone okay?

Alondro

I am alive!

We actually had very little damage in my town, in spite of being so close to the center of the storm.  Same thing with Irene last year.  My area seems rather immune to destruction.

I suppose the universe decided that we suffer enough living in the Pine Barrens with all the mosquitoes, flies, ticks, chiggers, and Jersey devils.

;)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Ignuus66

Honestly, sometimes I want atleast a tornado in hungary... There are no natural disasters here at all, and it is getting really boring compared to the east coast (hurricanes) or the west coast (earthquakes) of the USA.

(credit: Gabi)

AmberCross

Oh man, the jersey devils... I haven't heard anyone talk about that urban myth in like ten years! My area suffered a lot of trees falling down, but from what I've heard no one was actually injured. There were a few interesting calls though, like one tree which fell across a street and landed JUST short of the front door of the guy living on the other side. My own yard lost about six trees, really demolished the lawn as well, but somehow they all missed power lines and such.

Tapewolf

Aisha was online about 3 hours ago so I figure she's okay.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sofox

Glad to hear you're okay Alondro, I was worried.

And happy that everyone else seems fine too.

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 30, 2012, 05:21:34 PM
Aisha was online about 3 hours ago so I figure she's okay.

Nice deductiveness. x3 Heh.

Yeah, all we got was a lot of rain and a full day of snow.  Lots of power was knocked out though, but thankfully not in my area.  Anyway I live one state away from the coast. x3

Glad everyone else seems to have survived, too.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Alondro

We'll find out next week how much damage there is to my great aunt's house near Seaside Heights, NJ.  Their house is closer to the bay side, and so they may just flooded and have lots of sand in the yard.

But still, it's going to be a mess there.  I will likely go help salvage what can be saved some day next week once the roads are cleared enough.

There is a baseball field a few blocks closer to the ocean that apparently now has a large chunk of boardwalk in it.  Seaside Amusement Park, which withstood storms for 100 years has been completely destroyed. 

I watched Sandy on radar the entire time, and how it merged with the 2 other systems.  It was literally the worst case scenario.  Everything came together perfectly to make a monster storm.  Just half a day difference in timing of any one of the systems and it would have been much weaker:  either a post-tropical storm with weaker winds, or a dying Category 1 hurricane with a restricted wind field.  The jet strem set up was the coup de grace for the coast.  It sucked air out of the top of the storm like a vacuum cleaner which caused the pressures to plunge and led to the sudden intensification and huge expansion of the wind field.

Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Alondro

Here's a pic that shows the area near my great aunt's house.  In the picture, it's a few blocks diagonally behind the Ortley Beach water tower.  It's most likely standing, since it's away from teh beach front, but flooded and surrounded by sand and debris. 

Sofox

Aisha: Great, great, glad to hear you're okay. I knew you weren't exactly in the path, but I wanted to be sure.

Alondro: Best of luck with you're Aunt's house, and still good to hear you're okay. And... damn, that's a terrible place for a roller coaster... or maybe the best place! A roller coaster and log ride all in one!
I take it it got pulled out to sea yet somehow remained intact?

Alondro

Quote from: Sofox on November 02, 2012, 02:25:07 PM
Aisha: Great, great, glad to hear you're okay. I knew you weren't exactly in the path, but I wanted to be sure.

Alondro: Best of luck with you're Aunt's house, and still good to hear you're okay. And... damn, that's a terrible place for a roller coaster... or maybe the best place! A roller coaster and log ride all in one!
I take it it got pulled out to sea yet somehow remained intact?

The entire section of pier it was on broke off and was dragged out.  It was a very reinforced section of the boardwalk, to support the weight of the coaster, so it broke off intact from the weaker sections