05/25/2012 [PF #210] - Eyes are Windows into the Soul

Started by ChaosMageX, May 25, 2012, 11:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosMageX

Still, I can't help but wonder what exactly it is that Mordrith did to truly test Dorcan's identity.

Is scanning the soul like performing a retinal scan?

Icon by Sunblink

joshofspam

Quote from: ChaosMageX on May 25, 2012, 11:42:04 AM
Still, I can't help but wonder what exactly it is that Mordrith did to truly test Dorcan's identity.

Probably doing something like skimming the memories for ones that only Dorcan would have and from Dorcan's perspective.

Also memories that are simply stolen from another's mind probably don't have the same feel to them as the original holder.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

I figure the eye-to-eye thing helps tune into the other person's mind.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ChaosMageX

Quote from: joshofspam on May 25, 2012, 11:46:52 AM

Probably doing something like skimming the memories for ones that only Dorcan would have and from Dorcan's perspective.

Also memories that are simply stolen from another's mind probably don't have the same feel to them as the original holder.

Yeah, that seems more accurate, and it can be equivalent to a retinal scan, except that you're pinpointing individual memory patterns of the mind instead of individual blood vessel patterns of the retina.

Also, I wonder if a cubi would ever be able to mimic an individual's retinal blood vessel pattern to truly steal their identity.  There's probably a spell that would allow them to get a good look at the person's retinas so that they could concentrate enough to replicate them and get past any biometric locks.

EDIT: On second thought, mimicking things like retinas and fingerprints, even for just long enough to get past bio-scanners, might be more effort than it's worth.  Instead, they could simply use technology to get past technology, like special contact lenses to fool retinal scanners and false finger skin pads to fool fingerprint readers.

Icon by Sunblink

Gabi

Dorcan really needs to learn to phrase his thoughts better. :P

Still... touching moment. Just as I remembered it.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Gabi on May 25, 2012, 12:20:41 PM

One can only wonder what kind of impression he's making by also wearing his purple tank top, which is apparently his favorite apparel now. xD

Icon by Sunblink

justacritic

Quote from: ChaosMageX on May 25, 2012, 12:59:03 PM
Quote from: Gabi on May 25, 2012, 12:20:41 PM

One can only wonder what kind of impression he's making by also wearing his purple tank top, which is apparently his favorite apparel now. xD
So... what's with the color purple anyway?

Tapewolf

Quote from: justacritic on May 25, 2012, 07:56:29 PM

Magic Pink (ff00ff) is still often used as a chroma-key.  It is used because it looks horrible, so replacing it with another video signal or as a game overlay works well because you'd never want to see it.

Dorcan's shirt was based on that idea, but scaled down a bit because magic pink really was too horrific.  It's become something of an in-joke, but I am getting a little bored with it now and we'll probably have Dorcan dressed differently after this scene is finished.

Gabi

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 25, 2012, 08:10:27 PM

Magic Pink (ff00ff) is still often used as a chroma-key.  It is used because it looks horrible, so replacing it with another video signal or as a game overlay works well because you'd never want to see it.

Dorcan's shirt was based on that idea, but scaled down a bit because magic pink really was too horrific.  It's become something of an in-joke, but I am getting a little bored with it now and we'll probably have Dorcan dressed differently after this scene is finished.
Hey! That's the color of Rosa and Keisi's bodies!
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 25, 2012, 08:10:27 PM

Magic Pink (ff00ff) is still often used as a chroma-key.  It is used because it looks horrible, so replacing it with another video signal or as a game overlay works well because you'd never want to see it.

It's strange, because before I got in on the joke, I always thought the opposite color, Magic Green (00ff00), along with Magic Blue (0000ff) were the most commonly used chroma-key colors.

They probably don't use magic pink for TV because it would cause the lips of most weather girls to turn invisible. :P

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on May 26, 2012, 05:09:49 PM
It's strange, because before I got in on the joke, I always thought the opposite color, Magic Green (00ff00), along with Magic Blue (0000ff) were the most commonly used chroma-key colors.

Not in videogames, no.