Your favorite quote?

Started by Ignuus66, May 13, 2012, 11:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignuus66

What is (are) your favorite quote (s)? can be anything from a part of a movie to something a famous person said.

Mine (are) :

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
-Arthur C(harles) Clarke

"Don't trust a computer you can't throw out a window"
-Bill gates

"The real question is not whether machines think, but whether men do."
- B. F. Skinner

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal."
-Albert Einstein

"The earth is the cradle of the mind. But one can not eternally live in a cradle"
-Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

"Beep Beep Beep"
-Sputnik 1

Post as many as you like!
Cheers!

Edit: Oh and:
"There are two kinds of scientific progress: the methodical experimentation and categorization which gradually extend the boundaries of knowledge, and the revolutionary leap of genius which redefines and transcends those boundaries. Acknowledging our debt to the former, we yearn, nonetheless, for the latter."
-from the game Sid meier's Alpha centauri

(credit: Gabi)

James StarRunner

"Aaaaaaas youuuuuuu wiiiiiiiiiish..."
-The Princess Bride

"What's that about a rooster in the microwave?!"
-My mom when she totally misheard what was said. Neither a rooster or a microwave was mentioned.

"Noooooooooooo!"
-Darth Vader

Okay, so they're silly quotes, but I like them.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

I'm surprised I can't think of more, I should be able to come up with a whole load of the things.  I think many of them are so ingrained it's hard to pick them out.

"Any sufficiently advanced malice is indistinguishable from stupidity."  (unknown)

"One tires of jellybabies.  One tires of everything... except ABSOLUTE POWER!" - Dr Who (Tom Baker), Invasion of Time (1978)

"I will get that box from him, Rat.  For it will give me power.  Power over all!" - Abner Brown (Robert Stephens), The Box of Delights

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Nyil

Bidh an t-ubhal as fheàrr air a'mheangan as àirde.
- The best apple is on the highest bough
  - Irish proverb

A day of cold is not enough to create three feet of ice.
- Chinese proverb

Saying this is like diarrhea is like saying Hurricane Katrina was a light drizzle.
- My band
A drop of water shall be returned with a burst of spring.

Interested in high fantasy and art nouveau? Check out my art page! http://www.furaffinity.net/user/nyil/

VAE

As of now, noone has yet learned to drive a locomotive sitting in his study. L. D. Trockij

For some people, four walls is three too many. J. V. Stalin

What I cannot create, I do not understand. R. P. Feynman

Put a shit on a shelf in your breadroom, and it'll think itself a cake - Slovak proverb.

An idiot full of initiative is worse than a regiment of diversionists - Slovak proverb.

I might think of more.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Corgatha Taldorthar

"Violence might not be the best solution to problems, but it's usually the fastest"-Unknown

"Because I value the intellect, I despise intellectuals. A man who reads books all day is not functionally different from one who just watches television. They are both equally hiding." Ian Klinkhamer.

And this last one is more of a repartee than a quote, but it amuses me to no end.

"I'm surprised at you, I thought you said you once stabbed a man in the back for a pair of shoes."
"Well, yes. But that was different."
"How so?"
"I got away with it."

Corwin and Ganelon, The Guns of Avalon.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Alondro

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  -Albert Einstein   (It also happens to be the definition of communism!  >;3 )

There is a belief by some in the inherent goodness of mankind.  Such believers have obviously never read a history book.  -unknown

Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  -Winston Churchhill
(related) We learn from history that we do not learn anything from history -George Bernard Shaw (somewhat ironic as he was a proponent of eugenics)

If Men are so wicked as we now see them with Religion what would they be if without it? -Benjamin Franklin

I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. -Benjamin Franklin

They who can give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.  -Benjamin Franklin

Every man wishes to pursue his occupation and to enjoy the fruits of his labours and the produce of his property in peace and safety, and with the least possible expense. When these things are accomplished, all the objects for which government ought to be established are answered.
-Thomas Jefferson

Whenever a man has cast a longing eye on office, a rottenness begins in his conduct.
-Thomas JeffersonThe man who fears no truths has nothing to fear from lies.
-Thomas Jefferson
Advertisements contain the only truth to be relied on in a newspaper.
-Thomas Jefferson
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Darkdragon

I personally like the Japanese quotes 『』, but the chevrons «» has a certain je ne sais quoi to it.
Oh, that's not what you meant? Er, I'll get back to you then.

Naldru

It's not what we don't know that hurts us.  It's what we know that isn't so. - Will Rogers

I know nothing ... nothing     Sgt. Schultz
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Ignuus66

I'll post a few more. Also love the quotes you people provided so far!

"There is no conflict between the ideal of religion and the ideal of science, but science is opposed to theological dogmas because science is founded on fact. To me, the universe is simply a great machine which never came into being and never will end. The human being is no exception to the natural order. Man, like the universe, is a machine. Nothing enters our minds or determines our actions which is not directly or indirectly a response to stimuli beating upon our sense organs from without."
-Nikola Tesla

"Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors."
-Nikola Tesla

"Everyone should consider his body as a priceless gift from one whom he loves above all, a marvelous work of art, of indescribable beauty, and mystery beyond human conception, and so delicate that a word, a breath, a look, nay, a thought may injure it."
-Nikola Tesla (again, I'm a "fan")

A Fool can drop a stone down a well which not even 100 wise/smart men can fish out again.
-A hungarian proverb (roughly transelated)

James StarRunner

Oh, I love Tesla's work!

"Do, or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

"Courage is not the absence of fear but the triumph over it."
-Nelson Mandela

"Get your head out of your butt and stop talking crap!"
-Me :3

Ignuus66

Tesla was a (insane) genius far ahead of his time, In my opinion at least. He is sadly unknown, even with contributing more to the world with a single invention than most people do in their entire lifetime. There should be a Tesla awareness day :P

Back to the rail:

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained."
-William Shakespeare (I left this out because I didn't know who said it originally.)

"There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs."
-unknown

"It's better to be an optimist who is sometimes wrong than a pessimist who is always right"
-unknown

Brunhidden

the zen teachings have many gems, most of which are nonsense like one hand clapping, but this one i love

"live as though your hair was on fire"- zen philosophy
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.