Lion released, wants to change how and when to write files

Started by Madd the Sane, July 20, 2011, 11:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madd the Sane

Mac OS X Lion and apps written for it will auto-save at select intervals, as well as keeps a rudimentary form of version control that lets you see older versions.

Discuss!
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Tapewolf

I can see that working poorly when editing a file on a USB disk.  AFAIK it can be turned off, though, as well as the 'make the file read only after two weeks' thingy (which would play silly games with my comic layouts and other files which are set up for future editing or only altered sporadically).

I'm more concerned that it might not work on my current hardware - a 2007 Mac Mini with the CPU, disk and RAM upgraded.  The CPU is now 64-bit but the firmware might not be, and supposedly that can cause problems.  I'm not sure - in any case the compiler is generating AMD64 binaries.
Also the machine tops out at 2GB, I'm not sure if that's really enough for it.

Another worry is that my mac has separate partitions for the OS and /Users - supposedly Lion creates a recovery partition, whether the installer will be able to cope with nonstandard partition schemes and a symlinked /User directory is something I'm a little reluctant to find out.  Either way, I should probably image the mac disk before attempting any kind of upgrade.

ASLR is good, though.  That alone is enough to make me interested in upgrading, assuming the OS will work properly.  If not, I'll have to stick with Snow Leopard.  Replacing the mac is going to be too expensive to justify, unfortunately.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E