Site Formatting issue

Started by Genthar, May 04, 2011, 12:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genthar

Just an FYI - The site CSS seems a bit off for IE8  (yes, I know there are upgraded versions, and FF/Opera/etc are better, but I'm stuck with what I have at work...:)  )  It started a few updates ago...I'm guessing about the time the comments section was added in.

The main page seems to be too wide for the div that it's in so it ends up shifted down a page, along with some sort of  black background.  I can send you a screen capture if you want. 

Jason

techmaster-glitch

Huh...the exact same thing happened to me, and I was using IE 6 and 7. I thought it was some one-time anomaly...

Genthar

Yeah, having dabbled in web design, I know how much of a pain IE can be.  By the way, compatibility mode does nothing to fix the issue. 

Sienna Maiu - M T

IE 7 here. I have the same issue, but thought it was a one-time thing as well...

Until I saw the thread title that is.

(I'm also using a itsy-bitsy netbook, but hadn't had this problem before.)
   Avatar by me. Signature image made from a picture by shadows-play on dA (circa 2007-2008).      :deadhorse
my art thread

Darc_Sowers

I don't handle the more complex aspects of the site's code, so I'll let Matt know. Due to work, he may not be able to look at things until this evening, possibly this weekend. If it just started this last week, it's most likely from the new commenting system.

Thanks for letting us know. It's usually best to email site issues to Matt directly. Neither Matt nor myself are big forum users these days, so there's a good chance things will go unseen by us for a bit if posted here.  :)

I'm going to send him an email with the link to this post now. He's on the train for an hour or so, he may be able to look into it quick. Thanks. :)

EDIT: Kay, email sent. Thanks again!

Gyr

Crap, do I even have an IE install on this machine?

Curse you microsoft!

*finds it*  Okay, let's see what the problem is.
Code Name: Hunter
Adventure, Magic and Hounds with Guns.

Darc_Sowers

Yay! You got my email. See how fast that is. Matt (who still goes by Gyr on here for some reason) is always up with his email, but not likely to check the forum as much.  :)

Gyr

Okay, honestly?  This problem goes way beyond my skills.  CSS is something I can do, but by no means an expert.

I'll need to twist Darkmoon's arm next time I see him, he's the local CSS expert.

Best I managed was to change the black box to green...  And that was a border.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Heh. CSS on IE is a bit of a black art, sadly.

I had intended to nudge you next time I saw you about this, since I do lurk on the forum a bit, and hence can be fairly reliably expected to bring things to people's attention. But I digress...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Genthar

Don't let me mislead you, it may not be just a CSS issue, though with IE that tends to be the problem, but, thanks for looking into it.  At least it's still readable, so it's not as big of a problem for me. :)

Gyr

Oh, it's a CSS issue :)  That's for sure.  Just not sure _what_ the issue was in specific.

To quote Darkmoon

Quote from: DarkmoonWow, yeah, that is all kinds of broken...

We'll get it fixed, no worries

Sienna Maiu - M T

*snickers*

That's actually kind of funny.
   Avatar by me. Signature image made from a picture by shadows-play on dA (circa 2007-2008).      :deadhorse
my art thread

Genthar

Btw, seems to be fixed now.  Looks good!  It acts a little wonky when you open the comments, but is fine as long as you leave them closed.

Gyr

Thing is, Darkmoon didn't actually fix the problem, something else was causing it, and it went away during the update.  We'll probably see it again...