Internet Troubles...But only with one computer...

Started by Brownie, March 08, 2011, 10:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brownie

Well, we've tried everything from a simple "Troubleshoot Problems", to reinstalling the driver, even a full system restore to the day when it worked. Nothing seems to have helped.

Simply, my Internet connection has stopped working.

Whenever it tries to connect, it can only achieve "Limited or no Connectivity." I run a Windows 7 Desktop with a TP-LINK TL-WN821N Wireless Adapter and that's really all I know about the computer off the top of my head. We run 2 Networks for the Internet due to the size of our house, one which works off the other through a wireless connection to provide wireless to the computers on that level of the house.

Almost 2 days ago, the internet inexplicably started getting the "Limited or no Connectivity." notice. At first, a Troubleshoot would fix the problem but only temporarily. After a while, it just stopped working. It has asked me to verify the password a couple of times which I did once but it hasn't helped. I'm currently using a laptop to connect to the connection the Desktop is supposed to connect to and the laptop's working fine. So we're certain it's not a problem with the Router/Modem.

A system Restore was no help so we're pretty sure it's not a problem with the computer itself, and now we're lost with what to do. Any advice or similar problems?

Tapewolf

It sounds like it's a driver level issue to me, but this can't hurt to try...
Go to the command line.  Enter the following commands, and post the results for each one.

ping www.google.com

tracert www.google.com

tracert 74.125.230.148

...in case you've never done this before, you can copy the text from the command line by clicking on the top-left icon in the DOS box, and selecting edit->mark.  At this point you can highlight the text and press 'ENTER' to copy it into the clipboard.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Brownie

Thanks for the advice, but it's been fixed since. It turns out it was a problem with the WEP Key. It had somehow gone wrong and was causing it to have LoNC (Limited or No Connectivity).

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brownie on March 09, 2011, 04:54:40 AM
Thanks for the advice, but it's been fixed since. It turns out it was a problem with the WEP Key. It had somehow gone wrong and was causing it to have LoNC (Limited or No Connectivity).

Ah, cool.  For what it's worth, using WEP is a bad idea since it can actually be broken in realtime these days.  I'd consider switching to WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E