[2010-11-27] PF #146 Lifetime warranty gets a new meaning.

Started by VAE, November 26, 2010, 07:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAE

I love this... Ashley and Dorcan look sort of like mob thugs, at least eastern european ones.. Yak does as well.
I guess if more reclamations were done like this , some companies would make less rubbish software
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: VAE on November 26, 2010, 07:41:49 PM
I love this... Ashley and Dorcan look sort of like mob thugs, at least eastern european ones.. Yak does as well.
I think Ash ended up looking like a character from Reservoir Dogs. Dorcan, however, does look a bit like a Russian mobster, and I won't claim that it is unintentional. :B

Naldru

I must say that similar scenes have flickered through my mind when dealing with the "features" of certain pieces of software.  However, doing so would be wrong even though tempting.  I would say that they look like characters who believe in hands-on communication - with your hands around their throat, you get communication.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

joshofspam

Though considering how Jacob likes to pull other peoples legs I wonder if its all just going to be a show of force?

Would next having tea, then being threatend by red hot pokers, then be offered a scone be more Jacob's style? >:3

Edit: Though what if this really is more of a setting conflict? I know I don't know a thing about computers, but I'm am often warned about messing with hard ware and software settings that effect the inner workings of a computer if I don't know a thing about them. Heck being something new maybe the hard ware and soft ware start to have continually growing conflicts with one another and the whole system shuts down after a few uses.

It could get pretty awkward if this was more of an unforeseen problem that Jacob's team made instead of Jack's product line. Though the way he's trying to weasel out of it makes the shake down he's receiving some how very therapeutic. I must say a rat character seems more than a coincidence in this case. ;)
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Naldru on November 27, 2010, 07:45:04 AM
I must say that similar scenes have flickered through my mind when dealing with the "features" of certain pieces of software.  However, doing so would be wrong even though tempting.  I would say that they look like characters who believe in hands-on communication - with your hands around their throat, you get communication.
Sometimes, you need to use hands-on communication to make them actually listen - otherwise, they can't seem to hear you from behind all the money they've got. :P

Raskahn

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on November 26, 2010, 07:49:49 PMI think Ash ended up looking like a character from Reservoir Dogs. Dorcan, however, does look a bit like a Russian mobster, and I won't claim that it is unintentional. :B

lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels popped into my mind. Awesome job guys you really nailed the atmosphere there :)

Gabi

The strip made me laugh, and so did the title of this thread. :D
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

joshofspam

Quote from: Gabi on November 27, 2010, 05:04:12 PM
The strip made me laugh, and so did the title of this thread. :D

You know this would make one heck of a motivational poster for "The customer is always right". >:3

llearch n'n'daCorna

My engineering team, Mister Pink and Mister Brown here, would like to have a word with you.

*grin*

Edit: either that, or Boondock Saints... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

hapless

This strip is pure gold. :P

Also, I guess no one pointed the title out yet only because it's such an obvious reference for everyone? Well, I still like Invisible Sun. ;)
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

RobbieThe1st

"Vista crashed on me for the LAST TIME!"

<_< Couldn't resist.

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Tapewolf

Quote from: hapless on November 28, 2010, 03:26:53 AM
Also, I guess no one pointed the title out yet only because it's such an obvious reference for everyone? Well, I still like Invisible Sun. ;)

It's kind of weird.  I knew that song way back, it on a mix tape my dad made when I was so little I don't even remember him making it for me.  I never knew who recorded it until a couple of weeks ago and it's been stuck in my head since then.

Originally the title was going to be "It makes Jakob's lawyers very happy, though", but the fact that they've kidnapped someone (and Dorcan was at one point going to hit them) made me reconsider.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

hapless

O_O... Similiar story here... I knew the song (but not the title or author) since I was a kid, then re-discovered it over fifteen years later... :P
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 28, 2010, 06:19:48 AM
Quote from: hapless on November 28, 2010, 03:26:53 AM

It's kind of weird.  I knew that song way back, it on a mix tape my dad made when I was so little I don't even remember him making it for me.  I never knew who recorded it until a couple of weeks ago and it's been stuck in my head since then.

Originally the title was going to be "It makes Jakob's lawyers very happy, though", but the fact that they've kidnapped someone (and Dorcan was at one point going to hit them) made me reconsider.

Well, I guess I'm the first one to not get the reference.  What song is this?

Icon by Sunblink

llearch n'n'daCorna

I would guess that they're referring to Invisible Sun, but The Police.

... I've known who sings it for a long time, but then, I did buy Message In A Box about twelve or fourteen years ago, so...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 29, 2010, 01:09:37 PM
... I've known who sings it for a long time, but then, I did buy Message In A Box about twelve or fourteen years ago, so...

What annoys me is that I somehow didn't recognise Sting's voice in the first place...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Ah, the warranty style the Sicilian Mafia used back in the day.

i don't see the concrete yet. or are they just shaking him down?

also

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Keleth

Oh wow.

Tape, you really suprised me.

Jakob really is a decent actor, I never would of thought the whole good guy thing was a front.

So you have the villain front for a good guy, who is actually a villain.

I love it. I wouldn't see any other classical mob beatings/torture or anything like this except from a villain.

He's such a suave looking one too. They are all pretty frightening.
Help! I'm gay!

Gabi

It's not that simple, Drath. He's neither a really good guy nor a villain. He gets a kick out of scaring others and feeding on their fear, but he doesn't want to really hurt them.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Keleth

Kinda like the super villain the Riddler?

He doesn't hurt anyone besides batman, and he goes as far to surrender when the hero confronts his goons several times, just to prevent them from getting hurt.

He also does things for laughs and fun, and to torment batman. And doesn't seem to hurt civilians.

So Jakob is a lesser Riddler. It's kind of neat.

But he's still a villain.
Help! I'm gay!

Inumo

Methinks this is more a case of good guy acting bad than bad guy acting good to be bad.

Turnsky

joshofspam

Quote from: Turnsky on November 30, 2010, 06:42:07 PM
still a thuggish thing to do, though.

I notice that Dorcan is the only one using his muscles right now.

I'm waiting to see what Ashley is going to do. I have a feeling that Jacob represents the brains and Dorcan the muscle. But I just can't understand what Ashley represents?

Still, this probably also shows how far technology has gotten in some places in Tapes little story. Its quite a mix of both culture and technology. I mean Dorcan looked like he lived in a town just before electricity would have been run through one. Now we see a programming company somewhere there.

Must be quite a mix of Knights and Mobsters there.

Ren Gaulen

Turnsky

Quote from: joshofspam on November 30, 2010, 07:00:31 PM

I'm waiting to see what Ashley is going to do. I have a feeling that Jacob represents the brains and Dorcan the muscle. But I just can't understand what Ashley represents?

Still, this probably also shows how far technology has gotten in some places in Tapes little story. Its quite a mix of both culture and technology. I mean Dorcan looked like he lived in a town just before electricity would have been run through one. Now we see a programming company somewhere there.

read the comic again with this playing in the background: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvKXt3Surlk

joshofspam

Quote from: Turnsky on November 30, 2010, 08:09:56 PM
Quote from: joshofspam on November 30, 2010, 07:00:31 PM

read the comic again with this playing in the background: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvKXt3Surlk

Most Awesome! >:3

VAE

Quote from: Drathorin on November 30, 2010, 02:29:51 PM
Kinda like the super villain the Riddler?

He doesn't hurt anyone besides batman, and he goes as far to surrender when the hero confronts his goons several times, just to prevent them from getting hurt.

He also does things for laughs and fun, and to torment batman. And doesn't seem to hurt civilians.

So Jakob is a lesser Riddler. It's kind of neat.

But he's still a villain.

I remember the utter crud passing for supposedly  precise cut ancorlam cores we got from a machine shop several times, they hillariously had "Precision" in the company's name , and therefore think that anyone who does the above to a crappy supplier is a hero with capital H.
Teaches those folks some manners.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Lore

QuoteFor those who are wondering, there is a logical reason Jakob is pulling this stunt.

I hope the logical reason is that Jakob really is Johan Cross, and the whole Project Future bit is a ruse.

Keleth

Quote from: VAE on November 30, 2010, 08:23:02 PM
I remember the utter crud passing for supposedly  precise cut ancorlam cores we got from a machine shop several times, they hillariously had "Precision" in the company's name , and therefore think that anyone who does the above to a crappy supplier is a hero with capital H.
I remember once looking at materials on hand to buy. Realizing they were bad, and not buying them. Something about examining basic product quality or certifications before purchasing.  In this case, this programmer(?) Says that the software they were using isn't certified for what they were doing.

So what was he doing buying something that isn't meant for the job he was doing? Could it be he's jury rigging it for some sort of illegal super energy conversion beam?

Quote from: VAE on November 30, 2010, 08:23:02 PM
Teaches those folks some manners.

You're right, everyone should be able to go to people's place of work, and be a total thug.

You're at home after designing a blueprint for a new industrial furnace, and decided to attach it to the roof of their car...And it set their car on fire! Totally your fault :o
Or you made software to apply photoshop filters to something, and they didn't like the color options. BAM! Your door is kicked down and there's random thugs in your house!

Or you made a bad cream cheese bagel while you were at work! They were so offended they drug you out back and broke your legs. That will teach you!
Help! I'm gay!

Turnsky

Quote from: Spooks on November 30, 2010, 09:40:05 PM
QuoteFor those who are wondering, there is a logical reason Jakob is pulling this stunt.

I hope the logical reason is that Jakob really is Johan Cross, and the whole Project Future bit is a ruse.

either that or he's re-writing that classic corporate term: "A Hostile Takeover"... i can sense the hostility, after all.  :P