Bringing up a Q that was prolly answered in the last forum...

Started by Drayco84, October 04, 2010, 11:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drayco84

Here: http://www.rcsitravel.net/archive/2008/12/29, when Cedric uses magic to "catch" the bullet in midair, is he dealing with a subsonic bullet or supersonic bullet?

Of course, I'm willing to accept the idea that since magic was released, technological advancements have slowed down somewhat.

Talvin

The answer is: it's a comic book.  Don't worry about the science.

I have gotten to know Matt and Darc pretty well over the last few years of working with them.  So, I can say with fair certainty: They probably don't know, because the answer has no relevance to the story they are telling.  They don't worry about trying to apply scientific principles to a comic book about anthropomorphic animals working to contain the wild forces of magic in a world that vaguely resembles our own. 

Cedric knows what guns can do. He had something ready to catch any projectiles that might come flying toward him.  (If you were Cedric, you'd plan for people trying to kill you, too!)  Subsonic, supersonic: he probably doesn't know or care about the difference either.  It's from the Outside, and thus beneath him.

It's magic.

I don't expect Positive Karma.  If I get it, I am probably doing something wrong.

Gyr

You know...  Talvin said this more eloquently...  But...

Code Name: Hunter
Adventure, Magic and Hounds with Guns.

Talvin

The Matt Hath Spoken.  :kirby

I'm not trying to pick on Drayco, here. Questions of this type have come up many times over the years, and it's something that the RCSI team really just prefers to avoid. This is not a comic about science, it is a comic about magic, and interpersonal relationships, and so forth. It requires suspension of disbelief, and it breaks a number of laws of physics. 

It also ignores most of history: a handful of historic events that parallel those of our world are involved, but aside from that, we don't know or care.  It's not a comic about John F. Kennedy's Assassination, or 9/11, or the transformation of the British Empire into the British Commonwealth, so we aren't going to worry about those things.  They have no bearing on the story of "the character's lives and work, and the Underground reality of Magic in London..." [Quote from Matt.]

So, yes: we are jumping on this with both feet.  We're not trying to be mean, but we do need to get the message across firmly: These questions have no bearing on the story Matt and Darc are telling.  So, please, let's not worry about them here. :)

Thanks for understanding.
I don't expect Positive Karma.  If I get it, I am probably doing something wrong.

Drayco84

Sorry, I was just curious and wondering if it could be a plot point (And ironic!) if somebody later on down the road tried to shoot him with a weapon that he grossly underestimated. Mostly, I was just mildly curious, and the more I find out about the guy, the more I wanna see him get shot. (Getting stabbed would also work.)

Props to Matt and Darc for making such a loathable villain.

Darc_Sowers

At the risk of sounding like an uneducated doof, I have to admit that I don't know the answer to that one. I'm afraid that all I know is Ruby's gun is based off an old Colt .45 revolver that was her father's. (I say based off of because drawing guns is not my strong point and I'm sure there are some errors.) So, it's an older gun. That probably doesn't answer the question, though. Sorry.  :(

Edit: Oh, we have plans for Cedric's demise. Oh yes, so many plans.

Talvin

Quote from: Darc_Sowers on October 04, 2010, 02:02:53 PM
Edit: Oh, we have plans for Cedric's demise. Oh yes, so many plans.

Which I regret to inform you: you may have to try something else. :(

The Postal Service got back to me: they absolutely will NOT ship that many caterpillars.  FedEx and UPS will do it, but the cost would be ruinous.  Private Courier Service won't return my call.  Unless we can grow enough of our own in time, Cedric may have to die some other way.

Err...WAIT! OMG! PUBLIC FORUM! Folks, please ignore EVERYTHING above.  Spoilers. SO SORRY!

:mowtongue

Talvin

OK, it appears that I am going to have to be more explicit:

Questions of this sort are not welcomed. 

The topic is locked.

The subject is CLOSED.