05/02/10 [FILLER] Keaton Croft

Started by ChaosMageX, May 02, 2010, 06:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosMageX

Boulder Slice!  I fell out of chair laughing! :giggle

Happy birthday Keaton, this comic is priceless.

Icon by Sunblink

Suwako

I said it before in the birthday thread, but happy birthday Keaton Croft :P

My my, what a joyous attitude toward adventure.

llearch n'n'daCorna

pointing out that the boulder mass is still going to be heading for Keats in that situation, and in a less stoppable form, would not be listened to, would it? ;-]

Happy birthday, Keaty. Hope you have a good one...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 02, 2010, 08:41:11 AM
pointing out that the boulder mass is still going to be heading for Keats in that situation, and in a less stoppable form, would not be listened to, would it? ;-]
That's basically what I told my muse.  I decided to go for comedy over physics in this, since it's not canon.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jairus

OH NOT THE PEEP! NOT THE PEEP! OH, IT'S NOT IN MY MOUTH! THE PEEP!
- Nicholas Cage, badly quoted from The Wicker Man remake

Also, hush, Boxy. Physics has no place here. :) Happy Birthday, Keaton! *hugs* I hope it's a good one!
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Dannysaysnoo

Loved that sound effect. It effected me so much.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 02, 2010, 09:10:01 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 02, 2010, 08:41:11 AM
That's basically what I told my muse.  I decided to go for comedy over physics in this, since it's not canon.

Indeed. Not complaining, just shushing my own objections. ;-]

Gabi

Happy Birthday, Keaton!

And great filler! ^_^
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

hapless

Waitaminnit... was that a Marshmallow of Invincibility?!

Happy Birthday, Keaton!

(E: Marshmallow, marshmellow... whatever :P)
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

Tapewolf

Quote from: hapless on May 02, 2010, 02:25:54 PM
Waitaminnit... was that a Marshmallow of Invincibility?!

Originally there was an ankh on it, actually.  I removed it, Ren wanted it back, but then suggested that instead.
At one point we considered making it say 'idclip' and having her hands phase through it, but I figured that since Keaton probably hasn't ever played Doom, it wasn't such a great idea.

VAE

Heh. I remember how shocked i was a few days ago when i got to know that my lab group partner never played Doom.
And he is from England! Not some poor place where noone around had a computer.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Jairus

*shrugs* I've never played Doom either. Don't see the big deal over it.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Suwako

Meh doom, duke nukem 3d forever. :P

Oh wait, this was a comic commentary thread, how silly are these rails. Of course Keaton is being all lara croft like here, and I played those games too, quite fun and a little frustrating at times they were, yes.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tytaj on May 02, 2010, 04:37:51 PM
Oh wait, this was a comic commentary thread, how silly are these rails. Of course Keaton is being all lara croft like here, and I played those games too, quite fun and a little frustrating at times they were, yes.

I have two real regrets about this, one is that we went a bit more Tomb Raider than we did Indiana Jones.  The other is that I couldn't find my Tombraider CD and do some research, so I had to go by what I could remember and any screenshots I could find.
I was also trying to make it look like everything was made of cubes, like in the original game.  Not sure if that came across.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Jairus on May 02, 2010, 03:56:55 PM
*shrugs* I've never played Doom either. Don't see the big deal over it.

If you go back, you had lots of games like Pong, Space Invaders, that sort of thing. Then you have the Monty's Revenge sort - 2d side scrollers, or 2.5d puzzle games. heck, even Duke Nukem was a puzzle game at heart. Then came Wolfenstein, then Doom. It was the first real 3d FPS. (barring Marathon, which was much better UI, but since it was Mac only, didn't gain quite so much attention)

Since it was passed around in demo format, it went a _long_ way to gaining the attention of all sorts of people, and lots of folks did things with the map format that Id Software probably didn't expect.

It's a big thing, because it's a precursor to all the other FPS games out there. And let's face it, there's a heck of a lot of them. Bad Company, Gears of War, Quake, Brutal Legend, the list just goes on and on and on.

Seminal, is the word for it. Sure, Doom itself wasn't stellar, but Doom 2: Knee Deep In The Dead was much better, and they've just keep improving since then...

hapless

Knee-Deep in the Dead was the first episode (and only one available in the demo) of the original Doom. Doom 2's subtitle is Hell on Earth.
*wipes the dust off his DOOM.WAD and downloads latest ZDoom*

Tapewolf

One of the key things which Doom brought to the table was network play (he says, taking a break from playing the city2 map).  That and the map layout was comparatively easy to learn, so there were soon thousands and thousands of user-made maps floating around the 'net, many of which were awful, some of which were better than the original maps.

In short, Doom provided the ability for people to run around their place of work, house, street, college etc. with rocket launchers, slaying undead soldiers, and each other.  (Or in some cases, slaying Barney the Dinosaur.)
This was something which hadn't really been possible before and hasn't really happened since, as the map formats for modern games seem to have got somewhat more complex and less accessible.

I actually prefer the earlier, more experimental maps where people were still trying things to see what worked.
In particular they would take an existing layout, adapt it to match what Doom was capable of, and then work out how to populate it with monsters.
That sort of faded and maps became somewhat more clichéd, you'd end up with rooms that had no real purpose other than to hold monsters and it doesn't have quite the same appeal, to me at least.

Pagan

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 03, 2010, 04:38:14 AM
It's a big thing, because it's a precursor to all the other FPS games out there. And let's face it, there's a heck of a lot of them. Bad Company, Gears of War, Quake, Brutal Legend, the list just goes on and on and on.
Wait a second... Brutal Legend wasn't an FPS at all. It was even in third-perspective. Unless you aren't talking about the recent Jack Black game. (sorry for nitpicking)

But now those random letters make a bit more sense now.

Even though some of us never played Doom (didn't even have a PC at the time--plus I was only five), it's a lot less geeky than what I would have done for the peep.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Sunblink

Ahahaha! That is so awesome. Thanks for putting this together, Tape and Ren. :)

And thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone else. I had a great birthday.

I'm still curious though: what does 'iddqd' mean? I had been struggling to figure that out for most of yesterday.

Corgatha Taldorthar

"Iddqd" was the cheat code for invulnerability in Doom
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

"idkfa" was the "all weapons, keys, and ammo" cheat, for example. "idclip" was the "no clipping", ie you can walk through walls.

After that it gets all a bit interesting.

Quote from: hapless on May 03, 2010, 07:34:41 AM
Knee-Deep in the Dead was the first episode (and only one available in the demo) of the original Doom. Doom 2's subtitle is Hell on Earth.
*wipes the dust off his DOOM.WAD and downloads latest ZDoom*

You realise how long it's been since I last played either? ;-]

Corgatha Taldorthar

Don't forget the "Idbehold" which could get you *searches memory* beserk strength, a lite amp, a radiation suit, an allmap, or partial invisibility.

honestly, the map was probably the cheat I used the most. I *hated* missing the secret doors, but I didn't have the patience to headbonk and look for them all.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

hapless

Corgatha, you know that in addition to idbeholdA, which gave you the map powerup (with wals that were gray until you entered the location, so you could see where you weren't to yet) there's also IDDT, that switches between regular map, everything-revelaed mode, and everything-revealed + show sprites (monstes, items, so on) mode?
I prefer idfa over idkfa, it makes me still have to look for keys ;).

joshofspam

I remember playing the cut up version on the Sega.

Darn thing kept freezing up on me. Still jumped when one of the first human mutants yell at me from out of no where in a dark room while the lights of my room where of.

Not as bad though as when I was playing Resident evil 2 and the zombies grab you throw the boarded window though. Let the scares keep getting better.

Peeps are awesome! To think they invoke invincibility as well as swelling in a microwave.

Happy birthday Keaton!
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Brunhidden

if its really that big of an issue i know how to make peeps at home

wouldnt having your own peep chef sound a bit extravagant though?

also, peep jousting probably has something to do with the temple
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Zedd

Ah you silly sis of mine,why not go to the store..Like any other normal person!

Gabi

Wolfenstein made me sick and discouraged me from ever attempting to play Doom. These days I believe I can stare at an FPS for a minute or so without wanting to throw up, but I wouldn't want to play one.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

bradypodidae

Quote from: Gabi on May 04, 2010, 12:18:45 PM
Wolfenstein made me sick and discouraged me from ever attempting to play Doom. These days I believe I can stare at an FPS for a minute or so without wanting to throw up, but I wouldn't want to play one.

If Dramamine hadn't come out with a non-drowsy formula I wouldn't have been able to watch, much less play, any of those games.
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Gabi on May 04, 2010, 12:18:45 PM

You're not alone. One of the objections to Wolfenstein and Doom was that the movement was nausea-inducing. I believe they've mostly fixed that by Doom 2, but I'll accept that different people react differently.

Brunhidden

and then theres those of us that any FPS whatsoever will never appeal to
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.