04/03/10 [PF #109]

Started by Meany, April 03, 2010, 01:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meany

That there is one clever robo-panther. :U

Also, I am beginning to think Kirian's sense of self-preservation is nonexistent.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Meany on April 03, 2010, 01:48:47 PM
That there is one clever robo-panther. :U
Yeah, but doorknobs stop him dead in his tracks. :B

Quote from: Meany on April 03, 2010, 01:48:47 PM
Also, I am beginning to think Kirian's sense of self-preservation is nonexistent.
Kirian is blissfully oblivious.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on April 03, 2010, 02:18:43 PM

I suspect he'd be able to do it.  The doorknob wouldn't be round afterwards, though.  And Jakob would not be very pleased about it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 03, 2010, 02:22:02 PM
I suspect he'd be able to do it.  The doorknob wouldn't be round afterwards, though.  And Jakob would not be very pleased about it.
That's why he does not do that. :P

ChaosMageX

IIRC, this was the last time R-Mac appeared in FH, which is a darn shame.  He was replaced by a female robo-panther whose name currently escapes me.  Hopefully that won't be the case in PF.

Icon by Sunblink

Meany

What about sliding glass doors? :U

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on April 03, 2010, 05:02:52 PM
IIRC, this was the last time R-Mac appeared in FH, which is a darn shame.  He was replaced by a female robo-panther whose name currently escapes me.  Hopefully that won't be the case in PF.

Scanning the text, the last time he actually appears is in chapter 39 of FH, and he's present in most of chapter 14, albeit in a background role.  I'll see if I can give him a bit more screen time in PF, but he's not an easy one to write for.  L-ILY was far easier in that regard.  I'm vaguely tempted to switch her for R-MAC, and I might do that in a few places, but to be honest, that's not always going to work.
Some roles really do need her more aloof and flighty personality - Mac would be too gruff and coarse for those roles.

At the end of the day the story 'grew' more than it was deliberately planned, and the directions it grew in didn't involve Mac very much in the later stages.  But yes, he probably could do with a bit more screen time (though not too much as he's a pain to draw & shade).

Quote from: Meany on April 03, 2010, 05:23:19 PM

If it's an emergency, he could go through those, no sweat.

Gabi

Of course, he's a robot. Why would he sweat? :P
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Zedd

Chocolate? Did you say..chocolate??

Chakat Blackspots

What is R-Mac so surprised by in the last panel?

Meany

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 03, 2010, 05:29:15 PM
Quote from: Meany on April 03, 2010, 05:23:19 PM

If it's an emergency, he could go through those, no sweat.

Really? No chances of tiny fragments getting into the wires and junk, thus causing hilarity havoc? :U

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on April 04, 2010, 01:20:16 AM

Rosey O'Donnell?!  D:

Raskahn

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 03, 2010, 02:22:02 PM

Somehow I can picture Jacob telling him:"If you break another door, I will install cat doors throughout the base."  :)

Tapewolf

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on April 04, 2010, 01:20:16 AM
We'll find out next week.

Quote from: Meany on April 04, 2010, 01:43:13 AM
Really? No chances of tiny fragments getting into the wires and junk, thus causing hilarity havoc? :U

Not really.  The panthers are military-spec.  One reason they don't show up as much later is because they were a crossover from an earlier - unfinished - project of mine where they patrolled airbases.

joshofspam

Maybe are little portal maker has been on a chocolate stealing binge.

Nothing says disaster like half the worlds chocolate being found in one place.

I would think that the military would have a small fold up arm and hand that would allow them the ability to manipulate things like doors are to pick something up that needs a more delicate touch. Was the military that they where saved or built from plan's they had, afraid that would be giving them to many freedom's or was it an over site on their part?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on April 04, 2010, 01:03:21 PM
I would think that the military would have a small fold up arm and hand that would allow them the ability to manipulate things like doors are to pick something up that needs a more delicate touch. Was the military that they where saved or built from plan's they had, afraid that would be giving them to many freedom's or was it an over site on their part?

They were basically conceived as perimeter guards, like the patrol Dobermans in the missile silo in Deus Ex.  They don't really need hands for their original design goal.

joshofspam

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 04, 2010, 01:13:03 PM
Quote from: joshofspam on April 04, 2010, 01:03:21 PM

They were basically conceived as perimeter guards, like the patrol Dobermans in the missile silo in Deus Ex.  They don't really need hands for their original design goal.

I take it that the base that Jacob visited had nothing but sliding doors for them to walk through then?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on April 04, 2010, 01:17:22 PM
I take it that the base that Jacob visited had nothing but sliding doors for them to walk through then?

Pretty much, yes.  It's kind of like the dog-things in Snow Crash, or most of the patrol robots in Deus Ex - they have little hutches built into the walls where they go when off-duty and it automatically opens for them.

Meany

Quote from: Zedd on April 03, 2010, 10:57:26 PM
Chocolate? Did you say..chocolate?? -image snipped-

Wait, I just realized. :U Isn't chocolate deadly to canids because of theta-bromide?

Oh my; Kirian has been saving Jakob's life this entire time! :.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Meany on April 04, 2010, 02:03:22 PM
Wait, I just realized. :U Isn't chocolate deadly to canids because of theta-bromide?

One would assume that either that doesn't apply to furres, or that Jakob's chocolate is dog-safe...

Zedd

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 04, 2010, 02:07:13 PM
Quote from: Meany on April 04, 2010, 02:03:22 PM

One would assume that either that doesn't apply to furres, or that Jakob's chocolate is dog-safe...

Is it possible to remove the theta-bromide from chocolate?  Also, I've heard of some dogs not being affected from eating chocolate.

Sind

Actually it's called Theobromine >.>

And sadly, it comes from the solid of the cocoa bean, so without it it wouldn't be chocolate anymore :/

Edit: Nevermind, apparently white chocolate uses other parts of the bean, and thus doesn't contain theobromine  :)

Edit2: Nevermind again, White chocolate doesn't use cocoa at all, and is therefore not actually chocolate...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sind on April 06, 2010, 12:01:00 PM
Nevermind, apparently white chocolate uses other parts of the bean, and thus doesn't contain theobromine  :)

I have seen dog-safe chocolate on sale in pet stores.  I don't know what it tastes like, though...

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 06, 2010, 12:02:17 PM
Quote from: Sind on April 06, 2010, 12:01:00 PM
Nevermind, apparently white chocolate uses other parts of the bean, and thus doesn't contain theobromine  :)

I have seen dog-safe chocolate on sale in pet stores.  I don't know what it tastes like, though...

Then you should buy some and try it yourself.  You wouldn't be the first person to sample the taste of dog treats. :P

Icon by Sunblink

Gabi

White chocolate uses cocoa butter, so yes, it's still chocolate.

Theobromine can also be found in mate. If that's what hurts dogs I won't let my dog eat yerba mate next time someone drops it on the floor. >_>
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

techmaster-glitch

Tapewolf

Still no word on 'Dark Angel' yet, I'll let people know as soon as I have the lineart.

Tapewolf

Once again we're going to be late on this.  Ren's current schedule at university seems to be heavy towards the end of the week.  Fingers crossed we'll be updating Saturday.

Tapewolf

Okay, finally, it's up.  Still no word on Dark Angel, though.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: ChaosMageX on April 03, 2010, 05:02:52 PM

Female? Unless robotics have progressed to a near-biological level, they don't reproduce sexually. Mechanically copying, perhaps. Male and female would be merely programmed personalities.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen