[Art] Ketchup-Crumbles: starts with fanart, hopefully doesn't end with lurking

Started by Ketchup-Crumbles, March 30, 2010, 05:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ketchup-Crumbles

Well, after two years of lurking, I think it's time I do something in this forum.

Fanart of Clan Leader Jin: about the age of 8? She has no clothes on, but I don't think it's suggestive in any way...
I drew this a few days ago and did the digital linearts today. I know the tail is way to short, but somehow I didn't want to change that? I probably should though, before I colour it...
As I like Jin a lot, it seemed natural to do fanart ;) I just wanted to do something a little more creative then just the same character in a slightly different pose and wondered how she might have looked like before "cuberty". Well in the drawing process I somehow forgot about clothes... I was going for a style similar to Amber's, simply because I don't have a style myself (I don't draw a lot, I wish I would...) She has the same hairstyle as Jin on the clan leader page, because she somehow struck me as the kind, that doesn't experiment a lot with hairstyles. Well, I'm going to colour it digitally. Depending on how it goes I'll either post the steps to it or just the finished piece ^^

~Ketchup-Crumbles

WhiteFox

This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Ketchup-Crumbles

Small update on the Jin-fanart:

The hair is nicer now. The hair is not finished, but right now I'm a bit stuck. And I also don't know how to do the rest of the body? Help/suggestions would be appreciated.

~Ketchup-Crumbles

GabrielsThoughts

I too am impressed by the hair. It there was shading to match, the image would be absolutely spectacular.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Merlin

D'aww, Jin looks way too cute. I think the way you've started shading the taily looks fine, and the hair looks great! I think if you do the rest of the shading in a similar way that'll work awesomely C:

WhiteFox

Quote from: Ketchup-Crumbles on April 15, 2010, 09:55:44 AM
And I also don't know how to do the rest of the body? Help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Technically that's a statement, not a question, so it shouldn't have a question mark. But I'm guessing that's not the advice you were looking for.  :3

As for shadows... kinda depends on the lighting. In general though, some shadows on the chest and arms would help to put them on different levels, and add some depth.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Ketchup-Crumbles

Quote from: WhiteFox on April 16, 2010, 10:25:22 PM
Quote from: Ketchup-Crumbles on April 15, 2010, 09:55:44 AM
And I also don't know how to do the rest of the body? Help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Technically that's a statement, not a question, so it shouldn't have a question mark. But I'm guessing that's not the advice you were looking for.  :3

xD I'm asking question-staments like that very often. My brothers tend to tease me about them, too. xD

Hm, last time I tried shading, I wasn't very happy with it. Mainly because I don't know how to manage the differences between comic-drawings and realistic paintings... I did the hair with the help of a tutorial from here. (Hope this doesn't count as advertising or anything; it's not my site xD I just found the tutorials really helpful.)

Anyways, here is a sketch of my new character Phoebe (phoenix/mythos halfbreed). She's supposed to be some form of Genet in mammal form.
Phoebe (NSFW)
NSFW marked, because she is "naked", but really, somehow I wouldn't think it's suggestive. It's more like I was lazy to put clothes on her (or lazy to invent them xD).
I drew a sketch of her avian form, too, but I'm not happy with it, yet. I'll upload it, once I get a better one done. And no, I won't forget about my Jin-project. I'll hopefully finish her soon ^^

~Ketchup-Crumbles

Edit: Oh, her pose is wrong, because I used two different references and noticed it later on and was lazy to change it.

WhiteFox

If you use references for pose, you can use them for shading too.

As for comic vs. realistic, just go with whatever looks good that you like. Play with it.

The proportions and anatomy on Phoebe look good, but the pose is kind of stiff. The pic would probably look better if the lines were more solid... kinda hard to do that with pencils, tho.

[edit]
Quote from: Ketchup-Crumbles on April 21, 2010, 12:22:22 PM
Edit: Oh, her pose is wrong, because I used two different references and noticed it later on and was lazy to change it.
The pose does look stiff. That takes practice.