Deathtrap Dungeon; Freedom is Slavery! (OOC; Closed)

Started by Mechanisto, March 20, 2010, 03:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do we want to do OOC comments?

let's use OOC brackets; it's more precise!
2 (25%)
Let's pick a color to use for all OOC text; it's less cumbersome!
5 (62.5%)
I have a better idea... see my post in the OOC thread.
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Mechanisto

WhiteFox

This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Liatai

Chairtastic

How do you guys do that screenshot thing?  I can never get it to work. :<

Also, posted.

techmaster-glitch

Shift + PrtScn (Prinstcreen), paste into an image file, upload to a filehoster (like photobucket or imageshack)

Drayco84

Hey Tipod... I have to ask just for the sake of argument, what would happen to Mnogo if somebody cast something like a "Transmute Mud To Rock" on him/it? Would Mnogo become a rock elemental, or would they be stuck as a statue?

WhiteFox

Quote from: Drayco84 on May 20, 2010, 09:57:03 PM
what would happen to Mnogo if somebody cast something like a "Transmute Mud To Rock" on him/it?

GM's call, and falls under the "You wont know until you try" category of questions.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Mechanisto

Hey Tipod... I have to ask just for the sake of argument, what would happen to Mnogo if somebody cast something like a "Transmute Mud To Rock" on him/it? Would Mnogo become a rock elemental, or would they be stuck as a statue?

Hm. It would depend on the exact power.

My instincts as the GM would suggest that using an "Earth to Stone" spell on a Mudman would be like using a "Stoneskin" spell on a person. Earth to Stone doesn't necessarily immobilize; it simply transmutes. He would get a chance to resist the effects, and it would not be permanent.

However, a "Petrify" spell or a Medusa's gaze on would immobilize him normally; those are designed to disable an opponent. I suppose "Flesh to Stone" wouldn't work at all, because he isn't made of flesh.

Details, details...

Quote from: Liatai on May 20, 2010, 06:55:00 PMOh.

My.

GOD.

I think Kittrick mean Goddess. :3

Tipod

Yeah, Mech pretty much summed it up nicely. As for dan asking if shearing Mnogo apart would result in two separate and intelligent mudmen... I'm gonna say "no" since having mudmen multiply so easily would be pretty ridiculous and probably a huge pain in the ass for the dungeon's urban planning committee.

Also Liatai, Kittrick had pretty much the best reaction and I love it.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Liatai

Mwahaha, thank you. >:3 It was fun to write.

Quote from: Mechanisto on May 20, 2010, 10:39:04 PM

A goddess of both purification and filth?! Why did I not know about this goddess when I made that neat-freak cleric of pestilence NPC for a DnD campaign a few years ago?! I so could have used that! xD

Drayco84

Hm. It would depend on the exact power.

My instincts as the GM would suggest that using an "Earth to Stone" spell on a Mudman would be like using a "Stoneskin" spell on a person. Earth to Stone doesn't necessarily immobilize; it simply transmutes. He would get a chance to resist the effects, and it would not be permanent.

However, a "Petrify" spell or a Medusa's gaze on would immobilize him normally; those are designed to disable an opponent. I suppose "Flesh to Stone" wouldn't work at all, because he isn't made of flesh.

Details, details...
I was just wondering if I had the option to use such a spell, then a "Stone Shape" spell for... Nefarious purposes... Hehehehehehehe... I'll probably just have to take a chance and figure out a good time to test the theory IC. Since the spell I quoted is more of a counterspell for restoring rock that had been transmuted to mud by "Transmute Rock to Mud" and I can't find anything on mudmen or even mud golems in the Open D20 ruleset. However, the rules DO state that both are permanent and anything within the mud has a chance to escape before it hardens into stone.

Quote from: Liatai on May 20, 2010, 06:55:00 PMOh.

My.

GOD.

Aw crud, you ARE using Aztec mythos, aren't you? I better hurry up and get a REAL character background done... Erm, how closely are you sticking to the mythos?
Also, judging from what I'm skimming through on Wikipedia, there's some seriously messed up relationships in there... Well, it's not like the Greeks were much better... You can't click a link without some not-so-subtle mentions about incest in their mythos...

Mechanisto

Quote from: Drayco84 on May 20, 2010, 11:27:25 PMAw crud, you ARE using Aztec mythos, aren't you?

Goodness! I didn't mean to make my players jumpy.

No, Aztec mythology won't be a predominant factor in the RP. I was just throwing it out there because... well, the Aztecs had some really messed up mythology.

Nowhere near as messed up as the Vikings, mind you.

Quote from: Drayco84 on May 20, 2010, 11:27:25 PMHowever, the rules DO state that both are permanent and anything within the mud has a chance to escape before it hardens into stone.

The D20 rules state this, yes. My rules, however, will be a little more forgiving. Mnogo may not be organic, but he's still a sentient, animated thing and his magical aura can resist harmful spells like any other organism's.

WhiteFox

Quote from: Drayco84 on May 20, 2010, 11:27:25 PM
Aw crud, you ARE using Aztec mythos, aren't you? I better hurry up and get a REAL character background done... Erm, how closely are you sticking to the mythos?

Is this a bad time to point out that Carter is an egyptian mummy?

...And he's a jackal, for that matter.

Drayco84

Quote from: Mechanisto on May 20, 2010, 11:44:43 PM
Quote from: Drayco84 on May 20, 2010, 11:27:25 PMAw crud, you ARE using Aztec mythos, aren't you?

Goodness! I didn't mean to make my players jumpy.

No, Aztec mythology won't be a predominant factor in the RP. I was just throwing it out there because... well, the Aztecs had some really messed up mythology.
Good, because I was planning on using a figure from Aztec mythos, and one from Jewish/Gnostic mythos as the heritage of my character. (Here's a hint for the second, he's the antagonist in my web fiction and is NOT a good angel... Or maybe he is... Eh, in my web fiction he's not.)

Quote from: Mechanisto on May 20, 2010, 11:44:43 PM
Quote from: Drayco84 on May 20, 2010, 11:27:25 PMHowever, the rules DO state that both are permanent and anything within the mud has a chance to escape before it hardens into stone.

The D20 rules state this, yes. My rules, however, will be a little more forgiving. Mnogo may not be organic, but he's still a sentient, animated thing and his magical aura can resist harmful spells like any other organism's.
Awwwww... But if he peed off my character, I was just going to craft him into a lovely statue...

A lovely, angelic statue of a female with big boobs...
What? He IS kinda perverted... And it's either that or a recreation of Michelangelo's "David"... Or a... Eh, nevermind... He should be more mature than THAT... And he'd let him/it out after he'd calmed down...
Regardless, think of the opportunities for espionage! (Mudmen don't have "eyes" to see anyway, so it should work...) An angelic statue 'mysteriously' appears in the middle of the town square overnight. The town locals see it as a sign of good favor from their deity and bring offerings before it!

After a few days, the village is razed to the ground and pillaged by an assortment of creatures, its people killed or kidnapped and dragged off to horrible fates...

Quote from: WhiteFox on May 21, 2010, 12:00:08 AM
Is this a bad time to point out that Carter is an egyptian mummy?

...And he's a jackal, for that matter.
No, not at all. Wait until Zyrais has done something to anger him, THEN mention it.

VAE

Quote from: Drayco84 on May 21, 2010, 12:14:33 AM

Awwwww... But if he peed off my character, I was just going to craft him into a lovely statue...

A lovely, angelic statue of a female with big boobs...
What? He IS kinda perverted... And it's either that or a recreation of Michelangelo's "David"... Or a... Eh, nevermind... He should be more mature than THAT... And he'd let him/it out after he'd calmed down...
Regardless, think of the opportunities for espionage! (Mudmen don't have "eyes" to see anyway, so it should work...) An angelic statue 'mysteriously' appears in the middle of the town square overnight. The town locals see it as a sign of good favor from their deity and bring offerings before it!

After a few days, the village is razed to the ground and pillaged by an assortment of creatures, its people killed or kidnapped and dragged off to horrible fates...

Ohm that sounds a little like the Weeping Angels or how they were called from Doctor Who!

Another thing that occured to me --- it will be fun when Glup will be molting... i expect him needing to hide for several days from Zyrais at least...
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

VAE

Quote from: Tipod on May 20, 2010, 10:49:15 PM
Yeah, Mech pretty much summed it up nicely. As for dan asking if shearing Mnogo apart would result in two separate and intelligent mudmen... I'm gonna say "no" since having mudmen multiply so easily would be pretty ridiculous and probably a huge pain in the ass for the dungeon's urban planning committee.

Also Liatai, Kittrick had pretty much the best reaction and I love it.

Hmm, i meant separate and *less* intelligent mudmen  - the idea is that the intelligence correlates to mass so after two or three splittings it would be just a set of randomly squirming heaps of mud

EDIT:
Oh, now i know what sneering means in english - i thought it was some kind of condescending expression ,but it is a "humanoid growl"!
This will have some implications as Glup is directly in the line of sight between Mnogo and Kittrick
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Tipod

Well, by "intelligent" I just mean "capable of thinking/feeling/doing stuff." When it comes to Mnogo, the intelligence/self-awareness he has is... for lack of a better word, "concentrated" within him. Basically, if you managed to split him in half, there would basically be one conscious half and the remainder would just splatter against the ground.

And to be clear, Mnogo isn't snarling or making any overtly hostile postures, he's giving people a look kind of like this :V The idea is that while he obviously doesn't have a face, you still feel that he's giving you a pretty unenthused look.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Drayco84

WhiteFox

Nethalzar's expression is usually one of a half dozen varieties of deadpan.

Note: Changed the official spelling of Neth's name on his character sheet from "Nathalzar" to "Nethalzar." Sorry for any confusion.

...Every time I see comments in orange, I think "Ooh, a Unique!"

Ahem.

Regarding Post #209: Normally, I would never make a post this short. However, I'd accidentally hit tab and enter in rapid succession, which posted it early. When I went to edit, it occurred to me that I'd probably need three or four hours to flesh out the post, people would probably see it by then, and adding a substantial amount of material would probably result in confusion. Especially if someone posted while I was editing. So I did an edit to clean it up, and left it at that.

VAE

Well, i don't know but you could have added a note "Post being worked on" or something like that , at least , that is the way me and others generally do it on NationStates when writing a post that is long and to do with various users, so not needing to be done in one go
Saphroneth

Drayco84

I saw Techmaster doing that as well and I agree that it's a great idea.

Failing that, if you absolutely must, I've found that writing the thing out using Wordpad/Kwrite/OpenOffice also works, but you just need to remember the tags and input them manually. (Or open up a Post Reply in one window, click on the buttons to input the tags into the text box, and then cut-and-paste into the document in the other window.

Quote from: WhiteFox on May 21, 2010, 11:29:10 PM
...Every time I see comments in orange, I think "Ooh, a Unique!"
The only game I've played where uniques/rares had yellow/orange text also involved red boxes, FSOD, and super-cheap enemies that loved instant-death attacks to, well, death... This wasn't the game you meant, was it?

WhiteFox

Drayco84

Quote from: WhiteFox on May 22, 2010, 04:39:29 PM
Do you guys know what "kibitzing" is?
I do now. And yes or no to the question? I promise I'll drop it afterwards.

EDIT: Post made. Me collapse from whatever it is afflicting me now...
*Thud.*
AND NO! NONE OF YOU MAY HAVE MY Nerf COLLECTION!

WhiteFox

VAE

Quote from: WhiteFox on May 23, 2010, 08:24:34 PM
Quote from: Drayco84 on May 22, 2010, 11:45:34 AM
This wasn't the game you meant, was it?

No, it wasn't.
Diablo II, right? Gold for uniques, green for set, and orange i think crafted items...
Saphroneth

WhiteFox

WhiteFox

Mech: Neth is just going to follow Nadihya. He doesn't have much to do or say (other then witty banter, but I don't want to do a post just for that) until he gets where he's going.

If Roxanne has been moved, Carter and Thessaly will go with.

Chairtastic

Just to let y'all know, I might be slow to post for a couple of days.  Got a nasty ear infection that's not letting me get much sleep.

Also; an idea came to me of something the Dungeon desperately needs.  Ya know, other than food, a population, and a reliable air supply.  It needs a Balrog.  An honest, fire and smoke Balrog. :B[/hint to the people for when the rp re-opens]

Drayco84

I hate to sound offensive about this, but... Why? So the next wizard passing through can fight it via a heroic self-sacrifice and take a level in badass as they do so? Yeah, I'd pass...

Ditto for a Ring Wraith or whatever...
Wraith: "No man can defeat me!"
(Girl/woman removes her helmet.)
Heroine: "I AM no man!"
Wraith: "Oh, snap!" *Dies.*

Yeah, they might be awesome up until that point, but still...

EDIT: Oh yeah, I remember ear infections quite well... Especially since I have terrible allergies and some jerk of a kid insisted on taking off my hat every recess during the Autumn and Winter months... I've always, always had to get antibiotics for that crap, and there's nothing like agonizing, painful pressure deep inside your ear canal.
Get well soon, Meany.