Deathtrap Dungeon; Freedom is Slavery! (OOC; Closed)

Started by Mechanisto, March 20, 2010, 03:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do we want to do OOC comments?

let's use OOC brackets; it's more precise!
2 (25%)
Let's pick a color to use for all OOC text; it's less cumbersome!
5 (62.5%)
I have a better idea... see my post in the OOC thread.
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 7

WhiteFox

This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Drayco84

Awww, but it'd be the greatest case of supposedly mistaken identity EVER! Imagine if you will, a group of random adventurers enter a cave and suddenly find themselves in... DEATHTRAP DUNGEON! The amusement park that's fun for the whole family! In addition to the masses of normal/controlled, thrill-seeking beings, there's a bunch of villainous-themed areas and the "staff" are dressed for the part, except they have plastic and/or foam armor and weapons. As the party splits up and wanders around, enjoying the exhibits, rides, and horrendously overpriced carnival food, the "staff" keeps a close eye on them, pouncing when the party is flat broke, totally exhausted, completely unwary, and still sick from that blasted teacup ride, Tilt-A-Whirl, and the Triple Loop-De-Loop roller coaster marathon. Once thumped into submission via plastic and/or foam weapons, they're dragged off to their unholy fate as slaves, creature chow, or whatever. (After being 'relieved' of their equipment, of course.)
WHADDYA MEAN IT DOESN'T FIT THE THEME?! Hey, it sounds AWESOME to me, but then again it's after 1am again and my brain is fighting sleep... Fine, I'll consider something "serious" later...

Back to topic: Someday soon I will have the time, seriousness, and focus to make an IC post... The sooner the better, anyway... But prolly not tomorrow as I'm going out of town to a place where broadband is scarce and my PC doesn't have drivers for the wireless card my grandmother uses.

Drayco84

I'm back and you can nitpick my idea to death. Heck, it's a ton more work than a different idea I have, which would be a lot simpler in execution and much more open to expansion. But, I'd like to know the overall plan that the GM has in mind for attracting "visitors".

Anyway, Reading materials! Assuming that the tech exists in this universe...

EDIT: Post made.

Chairtastic

I won't pretend I understand half of what that page says.  That being said, the idea would be amazing. :U  If the tech doesn't exist, wouldn't there be a spell to duplicate the result?

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Meany on May 17, 2010, 01:38:45 PM
I won't pretend I understand half of what that page says.  That being said, the idea would be amazing. :U  If the tech doesn't exist, wouldn't there be a spell to duplicate the result?
As Nadihya mentioned, this would be a job for a druid...

VAE

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 17, 2010, 01:40:56 PM
Quote from: Meany on May 17, 2010, 01:38:45 PM
As Nadihya mentioned, this would be a job for a druid...

And the druid will be a job for Glup, considering how much love would each have for the other one...
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Drayco84

I'm sure SOMEBODY would be able to supply a Brain-Golem bodyguard for the druid to keep a certain Chuul away... The druid may not be too happy about it, though...

Drayco84

Important GM message: Meany and Basilisk have not been added to the list of players yet.

Well Mechanisto, you've got me in a bit of a bind here... Zyrais, like most angels, is a hoarder of magical items. I didn't bother to put those traits into the char sheet because I thought some would re-read the DMFA Demonology page on angels and say "Ah-HA! This one can be bribed and can harden his skin to the consistency of rock at will!" (What? I did that for the rest of you...) Plus, whatever ELSE he's managed to stuff in there. Oh, and he smoked, but never inhaled, so some of it is still probably stashed away somewhere in those pockets. Regardless, odds are excellent that whatever has been deemed contraband, he's got it...
   Oh, and he probably has enough weapons to outfit an adventuring party or two... (Don't worry! The previous owners didn't need them anymore!)

Mechanisto

Quote from: Drayco84 on May 19, 2010, 12:44:02 AM
  Important GM message: Meany and Basilisk have not been added to the list of players yet.

Well Mechanisto, you've got me in a bit of a bind here... Zyrais, like most angels, is a hoarder of magical items. I didn't bother to put those traits into the char sheet because I thought some would re-read the DMFA Demonology page on angels and say "Ah-HA! This one can be bribed and can harden his skin to the consistency of rock at will!" (What? I did that for the rest of you...) Plus, whatever ELSE he's managed to stuff in there. Oh, and he smoked, but never inhaled, so some of it is still probably stashed away somewhere in those pockets. Regardless, odds are excellent that whatever has been deemed contraband, he's got it...
   Oh, and he probably has enough weapons to outfit an adventuring party or two... (Don't worry! The previous owners didn't need them anymore!)

Not too much of a bind, so far. Nadhiya mentioned the ability to detect "Contraband," but from what Zyrais knows of pocket dimensions this ability is probably like a metal detector at the airport. She can tell how many kilograms of magic items you may have in your bag... but not what they do, or what they are. Could be a roll of nickels... could be concealed calico with sniper scope attachment and under-slung grenade launcher.

Regardless, quite a few people in the crowd look a bit nervous... but she hasn't acted on them yet, either. She may simply want to use this knowledge as an excuse to expel serious troublemakers that she really doesn't want to hire.

techmaster-glitch

How unevolved these beings are - their outer body is weak so they need to encase themselves in exoskeletons of their own make if they want to be any good in battle...
Oh man, I can't even imagine what Glup would say if he manages to catch a glimpse of Xephelon's real body, and realize just how extensive his exoshell is xD

Chairtastic

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 19, 2010, 01:14:29 PM
How unevolved these beings are - their outer body is weak so they need to encase themselves in exoskeletons of their own make if they want to be any good in battle...
Oh man, I can't even imagine what Glup would say if he manages to catch a glimpse of Xephelon's real body, and realize just how extensive his exoshell is xD

"Oh, thanks for the snack"? >3

Lisky

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

VAE

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 19, 2010, 01:14:29 PM

:D

I don't think a snack would cut it, since Xephelon is basically a rubbery glove full of brain tissue... Yuck.
And the size of a (somewhat large) glove too AFAIK.

Methinks Glup would be pretty surprised - something like when you see first time someone with artificial leg replacements running a marathon... now imagine such a person with enanism as well, and he is at the lead of the race ...
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

techmaster-glitch

"enanism"? Turning up blanks on word dictionary and wikipedia...

Chairtastic

Drayco84

Wiktionary redirected me to "enanismo", a Spanish word for "Dwarfism".

VAE

Quote from: Drayco84 on May 19, 2010, 05:34:57 PM
Wiktionary redirected me to "enanismo", a Spanish word for "Dwarfism".
Yeah, that's the thing... Hmm, i thought that was the english word for it... i wanted to clarify myself, but i got sucked into wikipedia
Saphroneth

Chairtastic

Wikipedia does tend to be addictive. :U

Also, props to Bas' char for a flawless badass entry.  *claps*

VAE

Quote from: Meany on May 19, 2010, 06:07:55 PM
Wikipedia does tend to be addictive. :U

Also, props to Bas' char for a flawless badass entry.  *claps*
True!
In fact it was so badass, that when reading the "how you intend to collect that which cannot be mined" fragment, before reading the next word i first thought "what is he going to do with so many souls" and then "Oh, he means body parts, sort of like me" despite the existence of more sensible explanations ....
I wonder how he will get on with Zyrais - he already managed  to annoy Nethalzar , and get Glup into an minor outburst, and frankly, Basilisk looks like the type who wouldn't have much qualms about slicing his head off....
As a fun note, the mental picture of him is something like a wolfdog Illidian from Warcraft III.. :D
Saphroneth

WhiteFox

I don't get no props? I thought I had a pretty good enterance. Phoo.

Yay, more demons.

Note to GM: I'm assuming Neth was carrying a variety of necromantic bric-a-brack when he came in. Basic stuff, but I'm not sure how much might be considered contraband considering it's necromantic.

He definitely isn't carrying any of his combat grade hardware on him, tho.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Chairtastic

The emerging from a pillar of smoke bit is a bit cliche, resulting in some lost points.

I read that last necromantic as necrotic, and had much laughter from it.

VAE

Quote from: WhiteFox on May 19, 2010, 09:00:14 PM
I don't get no props? I thought I had a pretty good enterance. Phoo.

Yay, more demons.

Note to GM: I'm assuming Neth was carrying a variety of necromantic bric-a-brack when he came in. Basic stuff, but I'm not sure how much might be considered contraband considering it's necromantic.

He definitely isn't carrying any of his combat grade hardware on him, tho.

The thing with his entrance that i so much liked was not so much any effects or stuff, but the thoughts - if someone enters a room with a naga, angel, chuul, gryphon , necromant, and an ex-assasin, looks around, and is put off that there is no warrior in the room or basically anyone he would find challenging in a fight, and it does not sound like bragging or internal self-reassurance, then the character is badass
Saphroneth

Tipod

Let's see how well this turns out.

Name: Mnogo
Player: Tipod (duh)
Race: Elemental
Species: Mudman
Creature rating: 4

Description: A being made of pitch and wet earth, Mnogo's form is naturally amorphous and will change at a whim. For the most part, he assumes a vaguely humanoid figure, very similar to a mannequin, albeit with a pillar of slime where the lower-half would be. Averages at about six feet, five inches in height, though is prone to change depending on whatever company he's with.

Personality wise, he is very cunning and calculating, as is required in his position as a mudman chieftain. That is not to say he won't be affable in the company of other, similarly powerful creatures, and will assume a more pleasant demeanor when the occasion calls for it. He comes across as sincere, but because he lacks a face, it's difficult to tell just how much he loathes someone on the inside. Tends to stay with his own kind, but does not entirely segregate himself from others (after all, you can't climb a social ladder if you never approach the bottom rungs). Holds a rather dim outlook on non-elementals, or "meatcreatures," both being and Creature alike. Though, if one proves themselves wise, strong, or resolved enough, or is just as sly as he is, then they will have earned some degree of respect. Is not quick to anger, but is relatively easy to annoy.

He takes considerable pleasure in the killing of those that are considered nuisances or weaklings, particularly in a drawn-out fashion (which should help motivate him should the Dungeon attract large numbers of amateur adventurers).

Responsibilities: Seeking a position in security and labor management.

Backstory: Born and raised in a humid swampland, Mnogo was a talented craftsman in his tribe. His trade? Trapmaking. He would spend hours gleefully constructing geological pitfalls all around his tribe's territory to capture and kill any organic life unfortunate enough to fall into them. It wasn't long before his ruthlessness drove him to devour the tribe's only overseer, and after some time pushing around the toilers and brutes, he would later ambush and kill the tribe chieftain, elevating himself to the lofty position.

Though the perks were phenomenal, leading a tribe in such an out-of-the-way area lacked challenge; his aggressive booby-trapping of the area and raids against meatcreature tribes left in the region meant there were no more opponents remaining to crush and kill. Unable to find comfort in such a complacent life, Mnogo left his tribe to seek satisfaction elsewhere. Hopefully, he would find more well-endowed foes to square off against, or at least a more fulfilling position.

Attributes: Mudmen are tribal creatures with a hierarchy that breaks down (from top position to lowest) as Chieftain, Overseer, Craftsman, Brute, and Toiler, with each mudman falling typically into the lower three professions after birth. Those with more drive than others will seek to take on a mudman in a higher tier, and upon defeating them, will often devour them and add their victim's mass and awareness to their own. When it comes to mudmen, self-awareness is power, and without it, you become nothing more than a drone. Mnogo, as chieftain, commands great respect both from his own tribe and others.

Physically, mudmen are notoriously hardy: they lack any vital areas to puncture or bones to smash, making them impervious to physical trauma. They can also reproduce asexually, but require material with which to make their spawn (silt, clay, etc.). If left unchecked, a single powerful mudman can sire his own tribe. Strong mudmen are also capable of terraforming the earth itself, though only to swamps or marshlands, and only with natural soil; concrete or cement is considerably more difficult for them to change without arcane powers to speed up the process. They can also meld into the earth itself, making them adept at ambushing and killing their prey.

Powers: -Physical toughness: Unaffected by blunt force trauma or piercing weapons.
-Mobility: Can burrow and slide through loose earth, and is unaffected by terrain that would hinder more organic creatures.
-Terraforming: Can alter certain terrain to fit his own needs.
-Geomancy: Mnogo is relatively adept at using arcane methods to change the earth as needed, mostly to aid in landscaping and form deathtraps.
-Offensive capabilities: Can harden his body into a drier, more golem-like form for crushing heroes and monsters alike.

Flaws: -Temperature sensitive: Mnogo operates very poorly in extremely hot or cold areas, and can be neutralized for some time if frozen or baked.
-Physically unappealing: Though he can change form, Mnogo is almost always a slimy, dirty creature. If you give him a seat, you'd better make sure it's vinyl or covered in a plastic sheet.
-One-trick magic pony: Geomancy is all Mnogo specializes in, and is incapable of learning much else.
-Partially soluble: His physical makeup keeps him from becoming entirely dissolved when immersed in water, but long exposure will leave him weak and limp for some time.

Skills: -Talented trapmaker: From sinkholes to spears of rock, there are few land-based traps he can't construct.
-Talented geomancer: If you need landscaping done, he will be more than happy to accommodate.
-Labor leader: Mnogo knows how to effectively reproduce, and is more than capable of keeping his spawn in check.
-Stalker: Years of getting the drop on hapless prey have taught Mnogo how to easily follow and ambush most creatures.
-Warrior chief: Mnogo is no stranger to frontline combat and smashing heads.

Trivia: -One of Mnogo's greatest childhood desires was to go back to the prehistoric era and kill dinosaurs.
-Favorite food is lizard meat, mostly crocodile.
-Favorite color is royal purple.
-Single (unsurprisingly).

As a sidenote to Liatai, I did not make Mnogo for the express purpose of grossing out Kittrick :V
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

VAE

Neat!
One question though- how does he react to being broken to parts? Does he merge readily, or are the parts less --> no sentient and aware, judging from the fact that if mudment merge the result is more intelligent?

Although with the name, i would have imagined something either larger and more amorphous, or of collective intelligence
Saphroneth

WhiteFox

Quote from: danman on May 19, 2010, 11:02:36 PM
Neat!
One question though- how does he react to being broken to parts?
Let's find out. Anyone know any ice spells?

Also: Are we waiting on anyone to post?

VAE

Quote from: WhiteFox on May 20, 2010, 12:13:45 PM
Quote from: danman on May 19, 2010, 11:02:36 PM
Neat!
One question though- how does he react to being broken to parts?
Let's find out. Anyone know any ice spells?

Also: Are we waiting on anyone to post?
Not me, though the pincers are fairly strong even naturally, and remember that at the current "level of strength" Glup is he has contact telekinesis, which can be used to make it even stronger (remember pulling out Ashes from the cave-in in the before-game silliness?)
Saphroneth

Drayco84

I'm not going to be able to post in the IC today, so go on without me. I'll catch up later.

Liatai

I return from the Land of No Internet! Huzzah!

Quote from: Tipod on May 19, 2010, 10:25:49 PM
As a sidenote to Liatai, I did not make Mnogo for the express purpose of grossing out Kittrick :V

Hey, I think I said it before, and I'll say it again; I love putting my characters outside of their comfort zones. ;) I'm looking forward to Kitt meeting him! (I foresee much gryphon-catalyzed cleanup work for any workers in the future when/if she gets hired... "Ugh, there's brain juice on the floor from the last delivery, there's blood on the walls, scraps of metal all over the place, a spill from who-knows-what-beverage in the corner, and to top it all off, the mudman tracked filth all over the rug! You there! Get a mop and clean that up, now! Do I have to do everything around here?!" *ruffles feathers, huffs angrily, storms off* :lol)

That said, I think I'm going to wait until Nadhiya answers Baseel and Glup before I post. That will give me a chance to catch up, at least.

Mechanisto

Hoookay; I think we definitely have more than enough character s now. I'll be closing the OOC again soon, and updating the list of entrants and participants.

If you posted a character here, or sent me a PM, don't worry; you aren't locked out or anything. If I haven't got around to you, feel free to give me a poke.

A merciless poke.

WhiteFox