Dungeons and Dragons

Started by Cogidubnus, January 25, 2010, 07:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cogidubnus

Quote from: SquirrelWizard on January 25, 2010, 09:01:08 PM
eh... okay that works i guess...

I'm not entirely fond of rolling stats. I mean 18s in ever stat is stupid and bland, but if you are like me, your luck with dice is legendary....

and I dont mean the good legendary...

Squirrel, do you have an IM? If not, that's fine - but I'll send you a PM with other information.

Also, Tech, I'll PM you.

As far as it goes, the first group is full as of right now. If people want to start a second group, this is good, but I would really rather not DM two at one time. :B

SquirrelWizard

yeah I got IM... give me a sec to pull it up...

<Spamtrap>

Edit:
 I've removed the details. Note that the details in question are available on the left, IF and ONLY IF you are logged into the forum. If you put the details in the post, it'll be visible to whatever webcrawler happens by. So it's asking for spammage...
   -- llearch

edit2: okay cool, thanks.
Update Status: Zombified

<Tezkat> Talking to yourself is a sign of impending mental collapse.
<SquirrelWizard> I talk to myself all the time, and I'm the sanest guy I know.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

Corgatha Taldorthar

I'd offer to DM a second group, if anyone's interested. I've got a few ideas of my own, and a fairly developed world (admittedly created for a different system, but I should be able to convert it)

Alternatively, if Cog wants to do so, we could maybe do a double party single world type thing, where the two groups are on the same "game map" but probably start seperately and might not even interact for a while.

EDIT Co-Dming, as it were.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Techcubi

If anymore positions are opened up due to Corgatha DMing or Co-DMing, I'll join.

Tezkat

Wow. This is the most activity I've seen in the Haunted Ballroom in ages... :dface

Tezkat expresses interest, should there be a second party forming. He proceeds to attack the darkness with magic missile. >:]

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Tezkat on January 25, 2010, 10:45:23 PM
Wow. This is the most activity I've seen in the Haunted Ballroom in ages... :dface
What can I say? We all be true nerds, nerding up over the nerdiest game of them all :mowgrin

Anyway, one other small thing I will note is I like the idea of two separate groups, but in the same campaign world simultaneously... that create quite a few interesting options you wouldn't see in a normal game... :3

Cogidubnus

Tezkat expresses interest, should there be a second party forming. He proceeds to attack the darkness with magic missile. >:]

I'll put your name on the players list on the front page then.

Corgatha and I are going to both be running a campaign, it seems, which may or may not be closely related, but we'll see.

Techcubi

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on January 25, 2010, 10:47:37 PM
What can I say? We all be true nerds, nerding up over the nerdiest game of them all :mowgrin

Sez you.

Cogidubnus

'Kay. The List of victims players going to what DM is up.

For future reference, specific questions you have about the game should be directed at your current DM.

Tipod

I too express serious interest in joining if there're any kind of slots available (woulda posted again earlier but had class), I'll just need a minute to ask my DnD friend to help me apply stats and skills and dice and other nerdery. Should I PM Corg my IM info?

Edit: VV Sent. Hopefully this should go all smooth-like.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Corgatha Taldorthar

Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

e_voyager

i have interest but may need help to build my character.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Dekari

Hmmm....I've never been able to sit though an entire game of D&D, then again, I've never had the time to sit through an entire game of D&D.  I may have interest in this, but I have to ask one question first.

If I get in on this will I be put with a DM that is willing to let his PC's die without a second thought despite any possible repercussions to the campaign or will I be put with a DM who will go to great lengths to make sure all of his PC's live and make it through the campaign?

If it's the second one, I'd like to put my name in for playing the rouge who makes the DM's life a living hell by constantly getting into situations, despite the DM's best efforts, that would normally end with the character dieing  >:]....you know, the cannon fodder character.  You always need cannon fodder, it adds flavor   :mwaha
I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Thanks go to Kipiru and Rhyfe for the art work used in avatars.

http://drakedekari.deviantart.com/

Noone

Quote from: e_voyager on January 26, 2010, 04:58:06 AM
i have interest but may need help to build my character.
I could help you with this, if you like.

As for dying:
From my DMing experience, I'd say it really depends on 'how' the characters die.

If, for example, a monster gets a 20 20 crit hit roll with a greataxe and does 27 damage against a first level character, that's mostly just bad luck, and I'm likely to be lenient. However, if they do something on the 2^64th magnitude of stupidity, like attacking a noble in front of a legion of armed guards and there are no escape routes, then I'd likely just let them die horribly.
Ultimately it's the DM's call though.

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Dekari on January 26, 2010, 11:33:08 AM
Hmmm....I've never been able to sit though an entire game of D&D, then again, I've never had the time to sit through an entire game of D&D.  I may have interest in this, but I have to ask one question first.

If I get in on this will I be put with a DM that is willing to let his PC's die without a second thought despite any possible repercussions to the campaign or will I be put with a DM who will go to great lengths to make sure all of his PC's live and make it through the campaign?

If it's the second one, I'd like to put my name in for playing the rouge who makes the DM's life a living hell by constantly getting into situations, despite the DM's best efforts, that would normally end with the character dieing  >:]....you know, the cannon fodder character.  You always need cannon fodder, it adds flavor   :mwaha

With my personal DM'ing style, if you do something stupid, you will generally reap the consequences. If you're playing a rogue, you've probably got an awesome enough reflex save to not die. But that doesn't mean that, you know, you won't become a wanted criminal, or get cursed with vampirism or something.

Dekari

Quote from: Cogidubnus on January 26, 2010, 11:50:13 AM
Quote from: Dekari on January 26, 2010, 11:33:08 AM
Hmmm....I've never been able to sit though an entire game of D&D, then again, I've never had the time to sit through an entire game of D&D.  I may have interest in this, but I have to ask one question first.

If it's the second one, I'd like to put my name in for playing the rouge who makes the DM's life a living hell by constantly getting into situations, despite the DM's best efforts, that would normally end with the character dieing  >:]....you know, the cannon fodder character.  You always need cannon fodder, it adds flavor   :mwaha

With my personal DM'ing style, if you do something stupid, you will generally reap the consequences. If you're playing a rogue, you've probably got an awesome enough reflex save to not die. But that doesn't mean that, you know, you won't become a wanted criminal, or get cursed with vampirism or something.

Eh, if I did get into this I'd probably only do something like that for the situational humor factor.  Though, if I do actually go ahead and get into this, I have a feeling I'm going to have a bit to learn....last time I looked at D&D anything was something like 15 years ago.

EDIT:  Actually, I think I'm going pull my interest out of this due to that fact that my limited/nonexistent knowledge of recent D&D may pose a large problem.
I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Thanks go to Kipiru and Rhyfe for the art work used in avatars.

http://drakedekari.deviantart.com/

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Dekari on January 26, 2010, 11:56:37 AM
EDIT:  Actually, I think I'm going pull my interest out of this due to that fact that my limited/nonexistent knowledge of recent D&D may pose a large problem.

Well, to be honest, I think that everyone who wants to play D&D here needs, at the very least, the Player's Handbook (3.5 edition). I don't think anyone is familiar enough with the game to go without it.

So, unless Cog thinks otherwise, I think there should be a quick headcount. Everyone here who has expressed interest should say whether they Do or Do Not have the 3.5 (or 3.0) Player's Handbook. Anyone who Does Not will need to acquire one soon, I really don't see how anyone can play the game without it.

I Do have a 3.0 and a 3.5 Player's Handbook.

SquirrelWizard

I've got a bunch of books on pdf, but my problem is... I'm not interweb savvy enough to know how to get them up for downloads.

Story Time.

During one epic (read that as awesome, not level 20+) campaigns, I was playing a priest who worshiped the god of Zeon. Zeon was a god who had no real alignment and was considered by the general populace as nucking futs. Now, some of our teammates decided to do some stupid stuff like outpace the group as they traveled. The DM was trying to get us from point A to point B with as little fuss as possible considering for the past few sessions we had been mired in the area too long for his liking. He got tired with one of the characters and threw a lightning bolt at him. The guy made his reflex save and kept on going. From that point on, if you were tempting fate (and by tempting we mean being uncharacteristically stupid.) you'd get a lightning bolt warning you of it.

Well... Later on, I was in the town, and probably doing something I shouldn't be, as the dm had a lightning bolt shoot through a window, circle around my character, and then exit out another window. In a moment of theatrical foresight, I yelled, "BEHOLD THE POWER OF ZEON!"

I converted half of the town in one night...
Update Status: Zombified

<Tezkat> Talking to yourself is a sign of impending mental collapse.
<SquirrelWizard> I talk to myself all the time, and I'm the sanest guy I know.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Squirrel: I am. Interweb savvy, I mean.

I have the Players Handbook, v3.5. Along with a few others. If anyone is stuck, drop me a line...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

techmaster-glitch

I just got the message from Corgatha about the campaign details.

Wish it weren't so, but I'm going to have to bow out as a player. I'm sorry, Corgatha and Cogidubnus :(

For what it's worth, my slot is now up for grabs, so if there's anyone who still wants in, the can jump in, I think. And I suppose I can stay on as a sort of "D&D advisor/helper" kinda guy, as I do have experience with both playing and DMing.

Arroyo Milori

oh hay, people play D&D here too? Awesome!

I'll join in, though now i have to make a separate character sheet now. D :

Lisky

Arroyo: we play 3.5... it's in the first post :B

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Arroyo Milori

Quote from: Basilisk on January 26, 2010, 04:40:23 PM
Arroyo: we play 3.5... it's in the first post :B
Eh, on second thought, I change my mind. I really don't own of the 3.5 books and I feel too lazy to go search for the PDF files of them : E

EDIT: ASDJASDKASDJ SCREW MY LAZINESS I'M JOINING IT ANYWAYS : D

Techcubi

I don't have the player's handbook, but, hey, the internet's an information highway. Anyway, Corgatha, you want me to give you my MSN?

Corgatha Taldorthar

Please do so when available. Alternatively, my MSN is posted on my member profile, so you can add me.

Toric

D&D by the combined insanity of this forum? Wonderful! I will not be participating for now, but if anybody unfamiliar with the system has questions I could field some of them. Off the top of my head I haven't seen anybody link http://www.d20srd.org/, which gives you at least the bare basics of 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons.

Other than that, I shall be watching... Oh yes, I shall be watching.... :mwaha
Yap by Silver.

techmaster-glitch

Hello again, everyone. I talked to Cog, and taking note of the fact that there are more players than even Cog and Corg can handle together, leaving some out to dry, I'm offering to be yet another DM to accomodate everyone.

I have personal DMing experience, so there shouldn't be much worry about that. However, a few things to take note; my campaign will not be linked to Cog and Corg's. It will, in fact, be the Eberron setting (still 3.5e). So, if anyone's interested, drop a line here, and we can start figuring this out.

EDIT: after a little conferring, it does seem that E_voyager, Arryo Milori, and Dekari are the only ones not in a group right now.
If you three still want to play, don't mind me as the DM, and don't mind the Eberron setting, I can take you three. Please respond to this when you can, whether you do or don't want to go with me.

Cogidubnus

I'll go ahead and post this here - everyone in my group, we're getting pretty close to being done here. Anyone who doesn't have that program that I was handing out earlier, please give me a PM - likewise, anyone who doesn't have Ventrilo needs to download it.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ventrilo?

That's going to be... tricky. They don't have a version of that for linux - at least, not the client side.

Have you considered Teamspeak instead?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Cogidubnus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 29, 2010, 03:59:43 AM
Ventrilo?

That's going to be... tricky. They don't have a version of that for linux - at least, not the client side.

Have you considered Teamspeak instead?

That would work just as well, really. Wasn't aware that Ventrilo hadn't gotten it's act together there. We'll do TS instead. :B