Dungeons and Dragons

Started by Cogidubnus, January 25, 2010, 07:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cogidubnus

Gentlemen! That time of year has arrived, when the newfallen snow has mixed with the smell of dirt and mud, and all mankind, trapped in their houses, hear the sound of clattering dice echo through their thoughts like beacons of madness. Fear this time of year, my friend, for you, the lowly geek, shall be driven to calculate the volume of a 10X10X10 square, the force in newtons of a thousand tons of iron falling from the sky, and what, exactly, is meant by a "spoony bard".

I have been told by certain individuals that there is interest for something like this. If people are interested in something like this, they should post here.

I will still be endeavoring to post in my current RP's, and they will not suffer for this - however, I will say that D&D and written RP's are generally different things, and that doing one is not the same insofar as speed of getting things done and interaction. One is a social event, and the other is largely literary in nature.

Summary so far:

Corgatha's group has fallen apart and is now defunct. Cogidubnus was unable to continue DMing amid RL problems, so Basilisk has taken up his session. Techmaster-glitch is still DMing another game, and may have spots open for one or two more people. If someone is willing to be a DM, they can start their own group.

Basilisk's Players:
1: Keaton the Black Jackal
2: Aisha DeCabre
3: llearch
4: SquirrelWizard
5: Lucheek
6: The1Kobra

Techmaster-Glitch's Players
1: E-Voyager
2: Proliator Bradypodidae
3: James Starrunner
4: Ghostwish
5: Casafi
6: Shadrok

Instructions for all my players, and to anyone else who might be interested:

I have successfully set up my own chat channel on llearch's chat server. If you do not have a chat client (like me), it can be accessed via this link (or simply find llearch's forum signature and click on the link there). Simply replace "lazy sod" with a name I will recognize, and login. You will be dropped into the comicfrenzy channel. To get to mine, simply type /join TechD&D , and you will enter my channel. Alternatively, you can shortcut to my channel by replacing the "#comicfrenzy" with "#TechD&D" at the login screen (be sure to leave the #).

This channel is where all our D&D sessions will be held, so it is important that confirm you can reach the channel. In addition to the actual sessions, I will be in this channel as often as I can to answer any D&D-related questions, or assist with anything I can. If I am not there, try again later, or leave me a PM here on the forums.

In addition, my channel is also open to anyone else who wishes to use it for d&d purposes, or to just gather together before a session.

RESOURCES:

Here is a list of resources to use for the games, avaliable for newcomers or a place to re-find them if lost;

MapTool
-This is the primary vessel most of us are using for running a game session. It is a free, open-source tabletop imitator program. It has a graphic interface with tokens, a built-in chat and diceroller, and many other features. It is java-based, so it will run on any OS. It comes in a .zip folder (.dmg file for Mac users), and does not install--the whole program is contained in the folder itself (and thus can even be run off of removable storage, likle a flash drive). There are also several other Tool programs for additional functionality.
-MapTool Tutorials
--A number of video tutorials for using MapTool. Very useful.

Character Sheets
-Downloadable 3.5e character sheets from the WotC website in PDF form. Usually meant for printing, but if used in conjunction with...
-PDFescape
--...you can enter form fields and text to fill out a character sheet electronically.

World Clock Meeting Planner
-Tells what time where on a specific date, useful for figuring out when people have avaliable time in relation to each other.

Lisky

You already know that I'm in, Cog... and if you feel like having a rousing debate over who's campaign we use... well *shrugs* i'm good either way... Though as player, beware ze sneaky Rogue

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

techmaster-glitch

If Bas told you, then I do want in on this after I found out about it :3

And if I were to DM (and yes, I do have a little experience), then it would definitely be an Eberron campaign :D However, I won't actually pursue that position at the moment for several reasons, but mostly because I want to be a player again.

SquirrelWizard

oooohhhhh... D&D....

Did I ever tell you about my crazy... er... unhinged... um... delightfully disturbed... uh... completely off his rocker priest of the god of Zeon? Its where I got my screen name...
Update Status: Zombified

<Tezkat> Talking to yourself is a sign of impending mental collapse.
<SquirrelWizard> I talk to myself all the time, and I'm the sanest guy I know.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

Noone

I'd certainly be up for playing D&D, I've been playing it for a while, actually. I do have DMing experience too.

Though, at the moment, I'm probably a bit too busy to handle DMing right now, though I could still play.

Tipod

"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Lisky

Oh, another quick note is that Keaton The Black Jackal has claimed a spot in this game. She's claiming a spellcaster role upon her return from her recent blargh...

Aisha DeCabre also mentioned interest before it being posted here.

That being said, i don't know how many Cog can accommodate, but Aish, Keaty, Cog and myself have been passing the idea around for a little bit... just felt that it's important to have that somewhat announced here.

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Aisha deCabre

Already spoke to Bas a while ago, but just to make it official, I'm in.  :B  Dibs on Ranger, of course.  I'll have to do a bit of research as well, my experience with a pen-and-paper RPG so far is a session on Exhalted.  :rolleyes
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Techcubi

So, wait. Is this going to be an online RP?

Cogidubnus

This is going to cap at five six players, because honestly anything more is a logistics nightmare.

What we -can- do is this - if more people want to play than can fit in one campaign, then two campaigns can be created separately.

1: Basilisk
2: Aisha
3: Tech
4: The 1Kobra
5: Keaton the Black Jackal
6: SquirrelWizard

Tipod: You can play whatever you like, really - however, you didn't say you wanted to play, necessarily, so I didn't count you here.

Techcubi

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Techcubi on January 25, 2010, 08:00:30 PM
Can we be of ANY D&D class?

People are really fast, and six people in a D&D campaign is generally very much sufficient. :B  - so I apologize, but more than six is generally hard to work with. I would prefer that with online stuff being what it is, that there not be more than six.

If someone were to drop out, you could, however, yes.

Techcubi

Lisky

Well, Cog can run 1 campaign, and someone else could run another, depending on how people want to do logistics *shrugs*

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'd like to express belated interest.

Nuts.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Corgatha Taldorthar

I'd also like to express interest, either as a player or as a DM
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Noone

Well, if we have a lot of interested players, we could run the same campaign on two ends, kind of an 'A' group and a 'B' group, though you'd likely want to keep them in separate threads to avoid possible metagaming.

That said, with allowed classes, I'd stick with the core ones. Prestiege classes are a bit harder, but I'd almost certainly rule out any splat-book classes. That's just my take though, I could come back with a list if requested.

Techcubi

Sooooo, Core ones as in, Warrior, Mage, Fighter, classes like that?

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Techcubi on January 25, 2010, 08:24:40 PM

...what edition player's handbook are you reading off of?

Speaking of, I think it this is a very important detail that needs to be established; all this is going to be 3.0/.5 D&D, right?

Techcubi

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on January 25, 2010, 08:26:42 PM

Speaking of, I think it this is a very important detail that needs to be established; all this is going to be 3.0/.5 D&D, right?

Hey, is anything more core than basic classes?

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Techcubi on January 25, 2010, 08:27:45 PM

Um... there are 11 base classes in the core player's handbook for 3.0/.5 D&D, and only one of them is called "Fighter". In fact, technically speaking, "Warrior" is an NPC class.

Techcubi

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on January 25, 2010, 08:32:34 PM
Quote from: Techcubi on January 25, 2010, 08:27:45 PM

Um... there are 11 base classes in the core player's handbook for 3.0/.5 D&D, and only one of them is called "Fighter". In fact, technically speaking, "Warrior" is an NPC class.

I don't have the handbook, ok?

Cogidubnus

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on January 25, 2010, 08:26:42 PM

3.5, yeah. 3.0 books are allowed so long as they good looked at first, but most stuff can be transferred without too much trouble.

Also, if it's alright, could the people that I listed above please give me their IM information, if I don't already have it? I have some things that I need to send them, like the program I think we'll be using for the games and suchlike. Built in diceroller and suchlike.

Corgatha Taldorthar

When I spoke with Basilisk about it yesterday, he indicated we would be playing 3.5.

The PC classes of 3.5 are

Barbarian
Ranger
Fighter
Paladin
Monk
Rogue
Bard
Wizard
Sorcerer
Druid
Cleric.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Noone

Core base classes:
Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Monk
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Wizard
The above are the commonly accepted 'core' classes. There are a few others, but I'd be kind of leery about adding more, lest they be overpowered. (Duskblades come to mind, those are waaaay out of balance).

Prestige Classes:
Assassin
Blackguard
Eldritch Knight
Arcane Trickster
Mystic Theurge
Dragon Disciple
Dwarven Defender
Arcane Archer
Weapon Master
Shadowdancer
Duelist

Prestiege classes are a bit trickier. Ultimately, it's the DM's decision.

Edit: Blargh, Corg beat me to it.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Cogidubnus on January 25, 2010, 08:42:41 PM
Also, if it's alright, could the people that I listed above please give me their IM information, if I don't already have it? I have some things that I need to send them, like the program I think we'll be using for the games and suchlike. Built in diceroller and suchlike.

IM information...Instant Messenger? I don't think I have anything like that...are there any browser-based places we could do this, like llearch's chat?

SquirrelWizard

how are we handling stats? and what is the starting level?

Also,will you have any custom talents/skills?

edit: I'm thinking I want to play a wizzie but I'm still up in the air about it.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

Corgatha Taldorthar

Bas mentioned rolling, although I didn't  catch what system. Pick three of 4d6 is the most common in my experience though.

SquirrelWizard

eh... okay that works i guess...

I'm not entirely fond of rolling stats. I mean 18s in ever stat is stupid and bland, but if you are like me, your luck with dice is legendary....

and I dont mean the good legendary...

Lucheek