01/11/10 [DMFA #1076] -a Belt like that

Started by Rambon, January 11, 2010, 05:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pvblivs

"Dan seems to have suspected he was a dragon earlier."

I was thinking more along the lines that someone told Dan that Pyroduck was a dragon (maybe even Pyroduck himself) and he just didn't believe it.

techmaster-glitch

Awww, we didn't get to see Dan's actual words and Matilda's actual reaction, even though we know it obviously ended well... :(

Fex

What I wouldn't do to get a belt like that. Going to a collectors fair will be so much easier when i don't have to bring bags anymore =3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Fex on January 11, 2010, 03:33:21 PM
What I wouldn't do to get a belt like that. Going to a collectors fair will be so much easier when i don't have to bring bags anymore =3

They are not without problems.

"Emergency services are still working overtime to rescue citizens of New Valakir after the sleepy mountain town was unexpectedly hit by massive flooding," the stag said.  "Initially believed to be some act of petty vengeance by the Fae, it now appears to have been a freak accident.  We have with us in the studio Joachim Franz, head of F-Tech Salvage Incorporated."

"The incident appears to have started in our laboratory," the lion told him sullenly.  "We had a consignment of artifacts from a wreck off the shore of Dugrobnir which we believe to have sunk over 50'000 years ago.  My chief technician was tasked with analysing them.  What we first assumed to have been a stasis container turns out to have been a Bag of Holding.  Over the aeons it lay submerged, the thing would appear to have filled with water.  I do not think I need to elaborate further."

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

terrycloth

I thought Kria's presence was confirmation that Lost Lake was in or near Xinth. Which was supposed to be the big 'demon city' where beings and creatures first lived together or something.

As for people not realizing pyroduck was a dragon... he was in the comic for years before we found out he was a dragon and it surprised a lot of people (although it was obvious in hindsight).

Tapewolf

Quote from: terrycloth on January 11, 2010, 03:39:53 PM
I thought Kria's presence was confirmation that Lost Lake was in or near Xinth. Which was supposed to be the big 'demon city' where beings and creatures first lived together or something.

As I understand it, Demons often run large cities.  I don't know if Zinvth was the first in this model or the largest, or whether it simply happens to be the most major city nearby.

As for Kria, I don't think we know where she lives.  We do know that she grew up in Zinvth, but it doesn't necessarily follow that she stayed there the whole 400 years.  DP certainly moved to the Forbidden Lands, after all.

Magic

Huh. A little technicality, from the front page DMFA #1076 backtracks to #1074 instead of #1075. (At least, when I tried.) The links are fine in the archive though. Sorry if this is piling on more stuff to the already bothered Amber.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Grey Wolf

I love Matilda sooooo much! Sweet, business-savvy, has a since of humor, and just a (powerful) hint of badassery.
She's a keeper, Dan. She's a keeper :3
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

inuhanyo

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 11, 2010, 03:50:31 PM
Quote from: terrycloth on January 11, 2010, 03:39:53 PM
I thought Kria's presence was confirmation that Lost Lake was in or near Zinvth. Which was supposed to be the big 'demon city' where beings and creatures first lived together or something.

As I understand it, Demons often run large cities.  I don't know if Zinvth was the first in this model or the largest, or whether it simply happens to be the most major city nearby.

As for Kria, I don't think we know where she lives.  We do know that she grew up in Zinvth, but it doesn't necessarily follow that she stayed there the whole 400 years.  DP certainly moved to the Forbidden Lands, after all.

True enough, but I submit 951 et al that Kria currently lives in Zinvth.  Not conclusive, but certainly suggestive.  We have no idea how far Lost Lake is from Zinvth,  but Lost Lake does seem close to some significant urban area.

Quote from: A. Lurker on January 11, 2010, 09:47:53 AM
Quote from: Arcblade on January 11, 2010, 09:02:48 AM
Honestly, I'm betting more on Matila just being really awesome and understanding about it.

If you stop to think about it, there is something romantic about a guy who cares that much about his sister. Especially considering Matilda's apparent relationship with her own brother...

And when Dan came up with this scheme, he didn't call Mab or Wildy (both of whom he's known since he was a child) or Lorenda.   So that is a complement to Matilda.

Chakat Blackspots

I'm guessing Dan doesn't really have a problem with Pyro being a dragon?

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on January 11, 2010, 10:46:21 PM
I'm guessing Dan doesn't really have a problem with Pyro being a dragon?
I'd say it's more the fact that he can see that not only is Alexsi still in one piece, but she seems to be enjoying herself as well (ruling out a kidnapping), and, for Alexsi, Dan is going to man up and let his prejudices slide.

Because you do have to remember, Dan personally isn't on good terms with most dragons...

and that's not even factoring in that they're a type of Creature (something adventurers like Dan hunted) and the problems that he's a Cyra clan cubi (something that every dragon except for Pyroduck apparently hates, though Dan may not know this).

jimsan

So does anyone else hear "I'll fly with you" by Gigi d'Agostino while looking at the first panel?
Remember the past.
Prepare for the future.
Live in the present.

Pvblivs

"Because you do have to remember, Dan personally isn't on good terms with most dragons..."

That section was ruled void (see #189).

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Pvblivs on January 12, 2010, 12:14:58 AM
It was, but it's still insight into Dan's opinion on dragons, and at the very least, he's still got his hatred of drakes (the dragon's smaller cousin) :P

(and I linked two different comics in that sentance, if you missed it)

ShadesFox

Quote from: Magic on January 11, 2010, 06:40:43 PM
Huh. A little technicality, from the front page DMFA #1076 backtracks to #1074 instead of #1075. (At least, when I tried.) The links are fine in the archive though. Sorry if this is piling on more stuff to the already bothered Amber.

I get that too.  Fortunately since the archive page is correct it shouldn't last past the next update.

Quote from: jimsan on January 11, 2010, 11:17:48 PM
So does anyone else hear "I'll fly with you" by Gigi d'Agostino while looking at the first panel?

No, but I'm the sort that cringes at Gigi d'Agostino.  He ruined The Riddle :<
The All Purpose Fox

A. Lurker

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on January 12, 2010, 12:23:53 AM
Quote from: Pvblivs on January 12, 2010, 12:14:58 AM
It was, but it's still insight into Dan's opinion on dragons, and at the very least, he's still got his hatred of drakes (the dragon's smaller cousin) :P

(and I linked two different comics in that sentance, if you missed it)

I still wouldn't count that as particularly damning evidence. Of those two comics, one is non-canon and the other shows Dan on apparently good enough terms with a dragon (in Dark Pegasus's employ, no less) to owe the latter money and get away with it un-fried. ;)

I'm perfectly willing to believe that Dan hates Pip, mind... :D

Tapewolf

Quote from: inuhanyo on January 11, 2010, 08:57:35 PM
True enough, but I submit 951 et al that Kria currently lives in Zinvth.  Not conclusive, but certainly suggestive.  We have no idea how far Lost Lake is from Zinvth,  but Lost Lake does seem close to some significant urban area.

All that says is that her family founded Zinvth and has power and prestige there.  It doesn't say that she lives there anymore.
If you think about it, Dan is on a mission to destroy DP by any necessary means.  Walking into a suburb somewhere with that intent might fly.
I can't really see Dan walking into the heart of a Demon-run city in order to murder one of their inhabitants.  It'd be like trying to rob a police station.  Even if he succeeded he'd end up with a price on his head like Aniz.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: A. Lurker on January 11, 2010, 09:47:53 AM
Quote from: Arcblade on January 11, 2010, 09:02:48 AM
Honestly, I'm betting more on Matila just being really awesome and understanding about it.

If you stop to think about it, there is something romantic about a guy who cares that much about his sister. Especially considering Matilda's apparent relationship with her own brother...

A belt like that...would kill her brother???

Come on, you knew SOMEONE had to say it....   :rolleyes

iceick

If the Lost Lake Inn is near Zinvth it would probably be around the place where the outpost was distroyed in [AS1 #42]. After all a lot can happen in 300 years.

As for Dan and Matilda spying, I'm guessing that Matilda was turned on by the fact that Dan was wanting to spy on his sisters date.

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 12, 2010, 03:43:25 AM
Quote from: inuhanyo on January 11, 2010, 08:57:35 PM
True enough, but I submit 951 et al that Kria currently lives in Zinvth.  Not conclusive, but certainly suggestive.  We have no idea how far Lost Lake is from Zinvth,  but Lost Lake does seem close to some significant urban area.

All that says is that her family founded Zinvth and has power and prestige there.  It doesn't say that she lives there anymore.
If you think about it, Dan is on a mission to destroy DP by any necessary means.  Walking into a suburb somewhere with that intent might fly.
I can't really see Dan walking into the heart of a Demon-run city in order to murder one of their inhabitants.  It'd be like trying to rob a police station.  Even if he succeeded he'd end up with a price on his head like Aniz.

You forget that in the demon book of attraction, sometimes a big no-no is a big yes-yes:)
Most demons would probably think it was great to have an adventurer come into a demon town and try to murder an inhabitant.
In fact, they'd probably try and watch it unfold.

:popcorn

On a sidenote, Kria used to teach Abel in a Zinvth school, so it's pretty likely she lives in that town too.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on January 12, 2010, 09:41:15 AM
You forget that in the demon book of attraction, sometimes a big no-no is a big yes-yes.  :)
Most demons would probably think it was great to have an adventurer come into a demon town and try to murder an inhabitant.

Tell that to Hennya  :<

QuoteOn a sidenote, Kria used to teach Abel in a Zinvth school, so it's pretty likely she lives in that town too.

Yes, but that was most of 400 years ago.  If you look at strip 757, she seems to have moved away from teaching Kindergarten at Zinvth and taken up work as a bodyguard/assassin.  Whether she still lives at Zinvth?  No idea, but my gut feeling is that she's moved out.

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 12, 2010, 10:39:23 AM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on January 12, 2010, 09:41:15 AM
You forget that in the demon book of attraction, sometimes a big no-no is a big yes-yes.  :)

Tell that to Hennya  :<

QuoteOn a sidenote, Kria used to teach Abel in a Zinvth school, so it's pretty likely she lives in that town too.

Yes, but that was most of 400 years ago.  If you look at strip 757, she seems to have moved away from teaching Kindergarten at Zinvth and taken up work as a bodyguard/assassin.  Whether she still lives at Zinvth?  No idea, but my gut feeling is that she's moved out.

chances are she could've held two jobs...

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 12, 2010, 10:39:23 AM
Yes, but that was most of 400 years ago.  If you look at strip 757, she seems to have moved away from teaching Kindergarten at Zinvth and taken up work as a bodyguard/assassin.  Whether she still lives at Zinvth?  No idea, but my gut feeling is that she's moved out.

Yeah, but the strip in question is barely 40 years after she was teaching kindergarten.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 12, 2010, 11:02:31 AM
Yeah, but the strip in question is barely 40 years after she was teaching kindergarten.

Now you've lost me.  Which strip are you thinking of, because all the ones I can see referenced are present-day DMFA...

EDIT:
Are you thinking of the current Abel's Story strip?

llearch n'n'daCorna

...I'm reading too many threads at once. Sorry, yes. Current Abel's Story.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Anker Steadfast

But she also attacked the outpost when abel was younger and attending the school in which she teached, so she can easily have two jobs at once.

Heck, for all we know, in the demon world a school teacher might be the best qualified for assasin work ?
Might even be that she teaches assasins how to become assasins ?

One doesn't have to exclude the other. :)

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on January 12, 2010, 01:11:01 PM
But she also attacked the outpost when abel was younger and attending the school in which she teached, so she can easily have two jobs at once.
I don't think that quite adds up.  The attack happened 16 years or so later, when Abel was 23-24.  She was Abel's teacher when he was in primary school and about 7 years old.  By the time of the attack he had left school, been to university, finished his course and had got a full-time job in the library.

From the way Kria reacts to him (as though he's a small child) and the way he addresses her in pages 66-67, it looks like they haven't met for at least 10 years.

Eon

Aww! Matilda is awesome! I'm always pleased to see her. It also looks as if she was not only right about appreciating honesty but also very understanding of Dan's intentions. I find myself in complete agreement with Grey Wolf. :3

Quote from: Bjalf on January 11, 2010, 07:09:39 AMWhat, he's not on fire? He must be a real sweet-talker.

I wonder if Matilda uses trinoculars.

Edit: Been listening to Queen, Amber?

Thank you! I knew those lyrics sounded familiar.

LizardSaul

Matilda is pretty awesome. I can see how the whole taur thing might be of some concern, but then again, real beauty is skin deep.

(But then again, Matilda is a mythos, and for all we know her skin might be an inch thick...)

terrycloth

I think Dan could learn to work around the taur thing, since Cubi are shapeshifters.