Emotion Gorging

Started by ChaosMageX, January 01, 2010, 09:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosMageX

I just thought up a question about cubi emotion reading from re-reading this strip of Project Future

The question I have is whether or not gorging on a being's emotions until they stop feeling them takes effort.

If emotion energy feeding can be compared to wireless electricity transmission via coil induction, how exactly could you use that concept to explain the emotion gorging that Jakob sometimes used to calm Joshua down?

I mean, by plugging a high-powered device into an outlet and throttling it, you can drain the power grid and power source to the point of causing an outage, but is that even possible with wireless electricity transmission?

Could it even be possible to blow the proverbial transformer and actually brain damage (mainly along the frontal lobe) the one you emotion gorge, or would that mainly apply as one of the many dangers of forced mind reading?

If brain damage is possible, could an extreme form of emotion gorging be used to perform a non-invasive lobotomy?

Icon by Sunblink

techmaster-glitch

I have just one thing to say...

Thou shalt not apply pseudoscience to magic :P

Okay, I've got another thing to say...

From what I've seen in Amber and Tape's universe, yes, deliberating eating up an emotion to the point where the one providing the emotion doesn't feel it anymore does take more "effort" than passively absorbing. That's abotu it, as far as I know, and it's simple enough. I don't know where you're pulling all this electrical engineering stuff from, or why...

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on January 01, 2010, 09:17:07 PM
The question I have is whether or not gorging on a being's emotions until they stop feeling them takes effort.

If emotion energy feeding can be compared to wireless electricity transmission via coil induction, how exactly could you use that concept to explain the emotion gorging that Jakob sometimes used to calm Joshua down?

The model I use is different.  I don't know if it's the same as Amber's model, quite possibly not.
The way I think of it is that emotional energy will build up and when it reaches saturation point it will leak out and this is what 'Cubi feed on.  (If you want an EE analogy, a capacitor, I guess).
Reaching in and scooping out the emotion 'pool' entirely resets it to its default state and it will take time for it to charge up to saturation point again.  If you can distract the subject from what is causing the emotion you'll be able to prevent it recurring.

Amber has said that it's possible to force-drain emotions but this takes more energy to achieve than you get back by doing this.  Hence its utility is limited to mood-altering in the subject, which is fine for what Jakob is doing.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E