The last Unicorn

Started by StrawberryPistol87, December 31, 2009, 08:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StrawberryPistol87

Something happened when i wanst here.
this? http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_853.php
c'mon Amber Unicorn's arnt just horses with horns.
i remember the last unicorn movie very well.
you cant see their horns when you dont believe in them
they can revive you. the can magically attack you with the horns.

EDIT in the last univorn movie/book it was based on a gazelle (so not really horse with horn.)

"The unicorn is the only fabulous beast that does not seem to have been conceived out of human fears. In even the earliest references he is fierce yet good, selfless yet solitary, but always mysteriously beautiful. He could be captured only by unfair means, and his single horn was said to neutralize poison." -wikipedia.
more about this 'Fabulous beast'  in wiki

Tapewolf

Quote from: StrawberryPistol87 on December 31, 2009, 08:37:05 AM
c'mon Amber Unicorn's arnt just horses with horns.

Amber's take on incubi and succubi is quite different to the medieval portrayal.  Demons and angels even more so, and her undead are pretty far out.  If her take on the unicorn is that it's a horse with a horn rather than the weird, cosmically good thing in Legend, that is entirely up to her  :3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Scarydragon

And if you fear horses you should overcome your fear. no offense but if you fear something it should rather be ghosts.

Telling someone to get over their fear of something because it's not a 'traditional' fear is kinda rude, especially if it's because you happen to like said thing (or simply think it's not a scary thing).

Secondly, horses are indeed kind of scary. Think about it, large, heavy, strong, hard feet, inclined to freaking out for no apparent reason. Horses are indeed something to be wary of.

Besides, being afraid of horses is nothing compared to some of the other things people fear. I know a guy who is afraid of sticking his hand into a couch to look for lost change.
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

StrawberryPistol87

Quote from: Scarydragon on December 31, 2009, 09:04:58 AM
And if you fear horses you should overcome your fear. no offense but if you fear something it should rather be ghosts.

Telling someone to get over their fear of something because it's not a 'traditional' fear is kinda rude, especially if it's because you happen to like said thing (or simply think it's not a scary thing).

Secondly, horses are indeed kind of scary. Think about it, large, heavy, strong, hard feet, inclined to freaking out for no apparent reason. Horses are indeed something to be wary of.

Besides, being afraid of horses is nothing compared to some of the other things people fear. I know a guy who is afraid of sticking his hand into a couch to look for lost change.

I agree.  with you. sorry for my rudeness. i will add my last comment. my apologies.
off course i dont know what happened back then.
but geez evryone make mistakes. dont point it out. pm me first. :kirby

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: StrawberryPistol87 on December 31, 2009, 10:29:34 AM

You posted. He posted. Seems fair to me.

If you don't want people to post pointing out your mistakes, be careful not to make them in the first place.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Naldru

My grandfather would never let my mother ride a horse.  He was a doctor, and had seen too many accidents.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

ooklah

I was in a horse buggy accident once. Two buzzer kites scared the horse, horse took off, and crashed the buggy into a house. The buggy was destroyed and the house wall didn't fair too well either. (period house, not modern day house) We all went to the hospital.
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

StrawberryPistol87

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 31, 2009, 11:09:32 AM
Quote from: StrawberryPistol87 on December 31, 2009, 10:29:34 AM

You posted. He posted. Seems fair to me.

If you don't want people to post pointing out your mistakes, be careful not to make them in the first place.

okay, i will remember that for the next time.
before i whrite something stupid. okay i agree with the other people have written too.
fear is a complicated thing. :mowsad

Amber Williams

About 20 people a year die from horse-related deaths. About 0 people a year die from ghost-related deaths.  Ghosts however have a really impressive Hollywood track-record of making movies that people want to see and get scared by.

As for unicorns, the reason in DMFA they are ultimately horses with horns is because of the same reason vampires got snuffed out:  There is already a large surplus of magical and mysterious creatures in DMFA and it would serve no purpose trying to cram every single mythical beast in and actually expect that mythical creature to have any particular uniqueness.   As such, it is far easier to just figure "unicorns" in DMFA are equines who happen to have a single horn. 

Anker Steadfast

So Unicorns are a fashion statement then ?  :D

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Amber Williams

They could be. They could be the result of demonic or mythos blood in them since both demons and mythos have variations that have only one horn.  They could be simply a fashion statement done by various types who feel it is aesthetically pleasing.

If I wanted to be incredibly crass I could whip up a Jesus-like figure who did use their magics mainly for healing and miracles via the horn and thus caused a cult-like following.  But I don't want to get myself lynched by religious types.

Anker Steadfast

Hrm ... maybe they did like wildy and got themselves a coupon for a free tail surgery.
Well, with horns offcourse, not tails.
Unless unicorns are tailless?

OH - And Happy new years :)

Chakat Blackspots

Amber's fear of horses probably stems from something that happened to her as a child.  Most fears that hold until adulthood usually occur because of something that happened as a kid.

Horses are quite grand animals, I'm not afraid of them, but I do respect them and I am very careful not to startle them or be directly behind them.

Lego3400

I have a slight fear of going into a dark room with a mirror. Weirdest fear ever.... Except for Arachibutyrophobia, the fear of peanutbutter getting stuck to the roof of your mouth :3

Dwarg91

Quote from: Lego3400 on January 01, 2010, 12:18:15 PM
I have a slight fear of going into a dark room with a mirror. Weirdest fear ever.... Except for Arachibutyrophobia, the fear of peanutbutter getting stuck to the roof of your mouth :3
You aren't the only one who fears going into a dark room with a mirror, though I wonder how that fear gets started? Also Arachibutyrophobia is a very weird fear.

A. Lurker

Quote from: Dwarg91 on January 01, 2010, 03:02:38 PM
You aren't the only one who fears going into a dark room with a mirror, though I wonder how that fear gets started?

That's actually easy, I think. Because if you stop to think about it for a moment, mirrors are weird. You can see this other person in the mirror who's supposed to be you...but what if they're not? And you never really know what they're doing when you're not looking...

Now walk into a dark room containing one of these eerie devices. Go ahead. I dare you. :bat

Attic Rat

You know what's weirder, but probably related? A slight unease sleeping in a room with the window curtains pulled ALMOST shut. Open is OK, closed is OK, but that little gap is annoying. Someone could look in without you seeing them..!
:erk
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Naldru

The fear of mirrors is sufficiently common for it to have its own category in the medical literature.

If you enter "fear of mirrors" in Google, you will see a great many entries, of which the following are just the first two that seemed appropriate.

http://www.depression-guide.com/phobia/catoptrophobia.html

http://psychology.suite101.com/article.cfm/eisotrophobia_explained

Regarding how dangerous horses, are I ran across this item on the web.  However, I would really feel better about the article if it referenced a source.

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Naldru on January 01, 2010, 06:23:51 PM
Regarding how dangerous horses, are I ran across this item on the web.  However, I would really feel better about the article if it referenced a source.

Here's a quick listing of what was written there :

Average Number of Deaths per Year in the U.S
Bee/Wasp 53
Dogs 31
Horse 20
Spider 6.5
Rattlesnake 5.5
Bull 3
Mountain lion 1
Shark 1
Alligator 0.3
Bear 0.5
Scorpion 0.5
Centipede 0.5
Elephant 0.25
Wolf 0.1

A source would indeed have been good, but even so .. bees kills most!
And horses are 200 times more likely to kill you than wolves!

Yeah, an official source, and perhaps a worldwide one too, would be good to have.

Anker Steadfast

So, I decided to do some searching to see if there was some official statistics on animal killings in the real world.
Normally, if a cat dies, you'd just blame curiosity. And sometimes, with humans too!
But Google came up with brand new search ideas as I typed in "killed by" :

You know ... I would never have had the imagination to search for killer condoms ... never!
Proof that reality by far exceeds fantasy. :D

The real world is weird!!!

ooklah

googles auto completer is bizzare. In fact, here's a whole website dedicated to google's auto-complete:

http://autocompleteme.com/

=D
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Anker Steadfast

Yes, but when you search for "killed by condom" ... there's actually a hit !

Naldru

I did some research on the list.  It looks like bees/wasps are higher than that list indicated and are almost entirely due to severe allergic reactions.  So the question would be whether the cause of death gets listed as anaphylactic shock (severe allergic reaction) or insect bite.

It looks like death by horses is also understated.  Death could be listed as simply fall rather than fall from a horse.

StrawberryPistol87

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 31, 2009, 03:21:42 PM
About 20 people a year die from horse-related deaths. About 0 people a year die from ghost-related deaths.  Ghosts however have a really impressive Hollywood track-record of making movies that people want to see and get scared by.

As for unicorns, the reason in DMFA they are ultimately horses with horns is because of the same reason vampires got snuffed out:  There is already a large surplus of magical and mysterious creatures in DMFA and it would serve no purpose trying to cram every single mythical beast in and actually expect that mythical creature to have any particular uniqueness.   As such, it is far easier to just figure "unicorns" in DMFA are equines who happen to have a single horn. 

Does amber also fear vampires then?
since they suddendly are gone.
also amber didnt bother what i whrote about unicorns. it seems.
but like my parents say; you should concure your fear or you would allways live in it.
im not saying you should do that. but its one of the things you could do.
then again. i dont nknow how a person feels that got attacked by a dog,cat, hatever long time ago. but; i know someone that has a fear (not telling what or who)
but concures it. of course he/she still feel nervous next to it.
but at least he/she isnt controlled by fear. sorry if offend anyone.

Tapewolf

Quote from: StrawberryPistol87 on January 02, 2010, 10:23:14 AM

I think Amber's fear was of unbalancing the DMFA world too much, in which case it could be said that killing off the vampires was indeed her way of conquering it  >:3

For what it's worth, the vampire extinction seems to have happened recently.  They were still extant as a race during Abel's youth (See Abel 1.57)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Anker Steadfast

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a single vampire hiding out somewhere ....
Perhaps a Vampire that lives far away in a deep deep forest .. or perhaps he just missed the memo.

Plenty of possibilities, but as a "race" .. they are gone.

And as for unicorns, in Ambers world, they are horsies with pretty horns.
Her world, her rules. :)

llearch n'n'daCorna

also amber didnt bother what i whrote about unicorns. it seems.
but like my parents say; you should concure your fear or you would allways live in it.
im not saying you should do that. but its one of the things you could do.
then again. i dont nknow how a person feels that got attacked by a dog,cat, hatever long time ago. but; i know someone that has a fear (not telling what or who)
but concures it. of course he/she still feel nervous next to it.
but at least he/she isnt controlled by fear. sorry if offend anyone.

I concur; suddenly conquering your fears is something everyone should manage. I'm not sure I know how it would be managed, though. Whatever happens, I'm happy that Amber has spent the time she has doing the webcomic that she has, and that she's decided to share it with us all.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

AmigaDragon

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 02, 2010, 11:17:10 AM
i know someone that has a fear (not telling what or who) but concures it. of course he/she still feel nervous next to it. but at least he/she isnt controlled by fear. sorry if offend anyone.

I concur; suddenly conquering your fears is something everyone should manage. I'm not sure I know how it would be managed, though.
llearch, you conquered my fear of concurring fears before I could get to it, I'm (con)cured! :mowhappy
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Lego3400

Quote from: A. Lurker on January 01, 2010, 05:18:41 PM
Quote from: Dwarg91 on January 01, 2010, 03:02:38 PM
You aren't the only one who fears going into a dark room with a mirror, though I wonder how that fear gets started?

That's actually easy, I think. Because if you stop to think about it for a moment, mirrors are weird. You can see this other person in the mirror who's supposed to be you...but what if they're not? And you never really know what they're doing when you're not looking...

Now walk into a dark room containing one of these eerie devices. Go ahead. I dare you. :bat
Mine actually originated when I heard the story of Bloody Mary as a kid. (The one that pops out of a mirror in the dark).

seuta

Random thought inbound: What would you call an equine with two horns then?  A bicorn?