12/14/09 [PF #90] Swordfish, Melons, and Daryil...

Started by ChaosMageX, December 14, 2009, 11:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosMageX

Replacing Nigel's sword with a swordfish.  Man, Daryil is so full of win!  I love how you're adding new gags that weren't mentioned in FH.  It makes it so much better.

Hopefully, at some point of the comic, you'll use my gag of Ashford dreaming about one of the main characters holding his head up on a pike while the Starfire Academy burns in ruins in the background.  :mwaha

I was saving this comment for a later page, but I'll make it now: I honestly think Ashford suffers from Schizo-Effective Disorder.  That would explain where most of paranoid theories come from, and make for another funny gag of him holding a board meeting in an empty room.

Also, Ashley was giving a lecture on mass-energy conversion back in the 50's.  Are we talking about the technology that Jakob is using for creating artificial souls, or just atomic bomb stuff?

Icon by Sunblink

Corgatha Taldorthar

I have to ask.....

Can 'Cubi suffer from albinism?
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on December 14, 2009, 11:43:22 AM
Replacing Nigel's sword with a swordfish.  Man, Daryil is so full of win!  I love how you're adding new gags that weren't mentioned in FH.  It makes it so much better.
Thanks.  That was a joint effort.  I said that we'd probably want to have Nigel threatening Daryil with a shortsword, Ren decided to split it into two frames and have the sword transformed into a fish or a flower.  I said we should go for fish.

7:59:23 tapewolf: Daryil actually has a problem with fish.  But we'll ignore that because fish in inappropriate places are usually good for a laugh.

QuoteHopefully, at some point of the comic, you'll use my gag of Ashford dreaming about one of the main characters holding his head up on a pike while the Starfire Academy burns in ruins in the background.  :mwaha
Ack, I knew I'd forgotten something.  Sorry about that, man.  I'm not sure it would fit in the available space, actually.  I might run it by Ren when he's back since it's not too late to make changes there, but we are very constrained for space on that page.  My chief priority right now is to try and ensure we have a continuous stream of updates for the rest of this year, and the only one still outstanding is page 6 (though I have to finish colouring bits of page 5 too).

QuoteI was saving this comment for a later page, but I'll make it now: I honestly think Ashford suffers from Schizo-Effective Disorder.  That would explain where most of paranoid theories come from, and make for another funny gag of him holding a board meeting in an empty room.
I'd have to look that one up.

QuoteAlso, Ashley was giving a lecture on mass-energy conversion back in the 50's.  Are we talking about the technology that Jakob is using for creating artificial souls, or just atomic bomb stuff?
Just basic physics.  Magic may allow you to alter things, but understanding how the universe actually works would give you an edge.  It would also help anyone looking for work in Being civilisation as a physicist  :P

As for Daryil being able to suck people out of SAIA, that's probably not going to fly unless Fa'Lina consents to it.  Kind of bending canon there, but I figured it was worth it for the joke.

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on December 14, 2009, 12:29:36 PM
I have to ask.....
Can 'Cubi suffer from albinism?

Why do you ask?  That's really something to run by Amber, I'd say.  They seem to be able to have melanism, so I don't see why not.  It might be that they suddenly cure when the come of age, though.  And even if it doesn't work that way, they may choose to modify their appearance anyhow.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Corgatha Taldorthar

Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Sprocketsdance

OOooooooo Daryil with blue hair... I thought he had grey.. or did he get spruced up for his party?  :3

Either way.. awesome.. so very awesome! "Guh, I knew I should have helped him write those." XD

Oh.. and Daryil just coming out with "So...do you like guys or girls."  :giggle teehee! Yeah.. as redundant as it is coming from me... he's so awesome!  :boogie

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on December 14, 2009, 01:14:56 PM
*hums* Panel eight. Certain names always bring back associations.

Oh, yes.  That confused me at first, because the version I've got in the browser cache still says "Nigel" and I'd forgotten I'd changed it :P  Elric, yes.  That makes perfect sense.

(It was changed this morning because Nigel wasn't actually at SAIA then, believing he was some kind of Demon kin)

Quote from: wuffnpuff on December 14, 2009, 01:18:34 PM
OOooooooo Daryil with blue hair... I thought he had grey.. or did he get spruced up for his party?  :3
It has been grey, it's mostly blue-green now.  My brother used to dye his hair odd colours to suit his whim and that's even easier for Daryil.

QuoteOh.. and Daryil just coming out with "So...do you like guys or girls."  :giggle teehee! Yeah.. as redundant as it is coming from me... he's so awesome!  :boogie

I still think he should have said that in the first panel...

SpottedKitty

Quote from: ChaosMageX on December 14, 2009, 11:43:22 AM

Hopefully, at some point of the comic, you'll use my gag of Ashford dreaming about one of the main characters holding his head up on a pike while the Starfire Academy burns in ruins in the background.  :mwaha

But would the joke work better if you make it Keaton or Josh walking up and giving a cheerful little smile and a wave?

(And yes, I giggled like a lunatic when that scene came up in Babylon 5...  :P )

BTW, I presume all those mentions of melons is just going to be a Noodle Incident kind of thing?
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Tapewolf

Quote from: SpottedKitty on December 14, 2009, 05:16:47 PM
BTW, I presume all those mentions of melons is just going to be a Noodle Incident kind of thing?

Yes.

Chakat Blackspots

When does Nigel learn that he's not a being and is a Cubi?

Tapewolf

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on December 14, 2009, 06:04:48 PM
Fairly soon after Daryil subdues him, actually.  I mean, he's going to be pretty scared and distracted.  He might even try to run off or something so it's in Daryil's best interest to settle him (and the other folks like him) down sooner rather than later.

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 14, 2009, 06:15:54 PM
Quote from: kusanagi-sama on December 14, 2009, 06:04:48 PM
Fairly soon after Daryil subdues him, actually.  I mean, he's going to be pretty scared and distracted.  He might even try to run off or something so it's in Daryil's best interest to settle him (and the other folks like him) down sooner rather than later.

I'm guessing he'll show Nigel what makes a Cubi, and Nigel will have a huge life changing moment (of course).  Then he'll probably be afraid of everyone else that hunts cubi.

Pagan

Was Nigel Daryil's boytoy before Daryil moved on to _____?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Pagan on December 14, 2009, 07:20:12 PM
Was Nigel Daryil's boytoy before Daryil moved on to _____?
What Daryil has in mind here is a rather more casual thing.

techmaster-glitch

And isn't that, for those who haven't read FH, a bit of a spoiler (however small)? :B

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on December 14, 2009, 08:00:47 PM
And isn't that, for those who haven't read FH, a bit of a spoiler (however small)? :B

Yeah.  I was too tired to do anything about it last night.

Pagan

Ooops, sorry. I thought that since it was in the cast profile, it wasn't considered a spoiler.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Pagan on December 15, 2009, 11:00:41 AM
Ooops, sorry. I thought that since it was in the cast profile, it wasn't considered a spoiler.

Well, it doesn't say that directly :P

Pagan

Aye, aye...  Still, add how he looks in the cast page, the only "friends/family" thing referencing Daryil, and what's known about Daryil... Ain't a hard guess.