How old is Fi?

Started by Sienna Maiu - M T, December 13, 2009, 04:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sienna Maiu - M T

Okay, so perhaps my Search-fu is lacking, but I cannot anywhere find in the forums whether this question was asked before. (And somehow, I suspect if it had been, this would be a non-issue).

I ask because I was looking at the cast pages earlier this week and I was shocked to find that Fi was listed as only three years old. Now, I'm assuming that coming from a realm of non-sensation, they have no concept of a measurement of time. So, I'm lead to assume that this is the amount of time that Fi has spent in the Realm of Furrae since he was summoned.

The problem with this?  You've likely already thought of it yourselves by now. http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Ab_068.php

And I'm skeptical that Fi would have returned to his homeworld and then get summoned again some 333 years later, and by the same person no less. And if three meant "three hundred" it would have just said so.

(So now the question is, should I have just emailed Amber?
. . .  Nah, she's said before how swamped she gets with emails.)

Tapewolf

It has been asked.  At least twice, I think.  I asked when Fi remembered Destania and Fa'lina, even though it must have been at least 25 years earlier.   Amber said that Fi is three in this incarnation.  Apparently Fa'Lina summons her warp acis in shifts - they work for her for a bit and then they're retired.  She then summons them again a few centuries down the line.  Or something like that.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sienna Maiu - M T

While that completely contradicts the Demonology page, this is Fa'Lina we're talking about.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Bear in mind that it doesn't have to be the same warp-aci, either. Just the same name on it...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on December 13, 2009, 05:20:54 AM
While that completely contradicts the Demonology page, this is Fa'Lina we're talking about.

Not necessarily.  If Fi dies, it gets stuck.  It remains bound to Fa'Lina as long as she is alive.  However, if Fa'Lina were to voluntarily cancel the binding spell, I doubt that would count as dying for Fi.

EDIT:  Remember that Fa'Lina was about to send Fi back, when Dan objected and adopted it instead.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 13, 2009, 05:42:33 AM
Bear in mind that it doesn't have to be the same warp-aci, either. Just the same name on it...

That wouldn't help Dan's Fi remember Professor Destania, though.

Sienna Maiu - M T

I've wondered about that. Especially since I don't think Fa'Lina would intentially cause a creature to stick around in limbo for what could potentially be thousands of years.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on December 13, 2009, 06:06:01 AM
I don't think Fa'Lina would intentially cause a creature to stick around in limbo for what could potentially be thousands of years.

Tough call.  Her academy teaches soul-trapping and that's the sort of thing many people would use it for, though it does have other uses.

Turnsky

since Fi doesn't have a gender, and is technically a manifestation, wouldn't that render Fi ageless?

i suppose the better question would be not how old Fi is, but how long Fi has been around?

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

inuhanyo

I've wondered about that. Especially since I don't think Fa'Lina would intentially cause a creature to stick around in limbo for what could potentially be thousands of years.

But the limbo we're talking about is the Warp-Aci's home dimension, their natural environment.

terrycloth

No, the limbo they were talking about was 'bound to Falina in Furrae even though it no longer has a body'.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Turnsky on December 13, 2009, 11:13:56 AM
since Fi doesn't have a gender, and is technically a manifestation, wouldn't that render Fi ageless?
An ageless 3 year old. It does seem immature at least part of the time.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Anker Steadfast

Well, technically speaking, I guess only Fi's body can have an age.
Also it's not certain if Warp-Aci as fully understand time itself.

Sorta like the Fay, I don't think they *have* to follow time in a linear fashion.
Since they are warping all over the place, they might skip a century or two, and then return later, which in analogue terms would make them a lot older, but in liniear terms would make them no older than if they had stayed in the same time stream.

Though this is only speculation on my part, we'd need Amber to make a decision in order to make sense of it all.

... is it hard to make Amber make a decision ?  :confused

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Scow2

Why not? Just because someone's nice to everyone in the comic doesn't mean they aren't a malevolent sociopath, particularly when it comes to Creatures... Fa'lina is nice to cubi. She probably doesn't even give a damn to "lesser" creatures. She definitely doesn't care about beings (Unless a cubi has an emotional attachment to the being).

Crawldragon

Quote from: Scow2 on December 23, 2009, 11:26:45 AM

Why not? Just because someone's nice to everyone in the comic doesn't mean they aren't a malevolent sociopath, particularly when it comes to Creatures... Fa'lina is nice to cubi. She probably doesn't even give a damn to "lesser" creatures. She definitely doesn't care about beings (Unless a cubi has an emotional attachment to the being).
Indeed, even the SAIA incident is questionable, since the only conceivable reason Fa'lina as merciful to the cast was because they were Dan's friends... and Aaryanna as well.

Anker Steadfast

Hey don't be mean to Fa'Lina ... she's sweet!

In fact, she's so sweet, Pyroduck even commented on it once !!

"Discomfort and a saccharine voice of malice! Must be... Fa'Lina"

See ? See ?
She's sweet!

:D

And if cuteness is the goal, she has the cutest way of saying babies !
Why, the only thing to fight such sweetness would be to hire Janus Bond !

... offcourse, with all the role reversals in the Janus Bond universe, she might be something quite .. different !

Might even be EVIL !!  *gasp*

Corgatha Taldorthar

Saccharine is artificially sweet........ And has a bitter aftertaste.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Anker Steadfast

Fits her perfectly then. :D