Earth Eternal

Started by thegayhare, November 23, 2009, 11:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hapless

Quote from: Myr on December 02, 2009, 04:52:13 AM
Heh, well, that aside, it isn't too bad of a game. The Druid class is slightly bugged-you can not seem to heal yourself with your own skills, standing still or not.
Even after you left-click at your character, so your name shows up at the place where the attack target's name and health is shown?

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 02, 2009, 05:20:44 AM
Speaking as a developer, the big difference is that Java can and will work on pretty much anything above 16-bit systems.
Oh sure, but it's slow enough as it is now. I'm pretty sure that if it'd be Java, it couldn't run on my hardware at all.

If they said upfront that it only works on Windows, I wouldn't have been nearly as irate (like the guy in the forums who asked for his account to be deleted because the 'runs-in-a-browser' game it won't work on his non-Windows Netbook).
I believe their source of funds required that whole browser-docking part... but I completely understand your annoyance.
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: Tyranastrasz on December 02, 2009, 04:16:03 AM
The only differences between the Sparkplayer plugin and Flash or Java are that Sparkplayer is only used for EE (for now, anyway) and the download time is about 1/4 that of Flash or Java.

Speaking as a developer, the big difference is that Java can and will work on pretty much anything above 16-bit systems.  There's probably an Acorn Archimedes port if you look hard enough.  Flash works on all the major platforms.  There's even an ARM port of Flash on the Nokia N8xx series.  Spark only works on Windows (*).

(*)  To their credit, from what the people trying to make it work in WINE noticed, they seem to have written the thing from the ground up to be portable - but they haven't yet released any ports.

Point. However, they have already said that they plan to make it work for Mac, and presumably Linux, although people with both OSs have gotten it to work, I believe.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tyranastrasz on December 02, 2009, 11:09:59 AM
Point. However, they have already said that they plan to make it work for Mac, and presumably Linux, although people with both OSs have gotten it to work, I believe.

If you can find out how they got it to work on linux, I'd be fascinated.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 02, 2009, 11:20:33 AM
Quote from: Tyranastrasz on December 02, 2009, 11:09:59 AM

If you can find out how they got it to work on linux, I'd be fascinated.

If they got it to work, it's in this thread somewhere. I would find the individual post, but I don't use Linux and honestly I don't care that much to spend my time before my class to find it.

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Myr

To answer you Hapless. Yes, even then. It's a bit odd, really, but I'm sure it'll be worked out.

The other skills work wonderfully-I find learning the parry skill, even at the low rate it has right now for me, is a lifesaver when fighting something tough.
'I've seen monks try and cover their ears when they hear these haunting notes, but they just don't understand that your soul doesn't need ears to hear.' ~Malkithe

'Sanity is a spider clinging to a fluttering thread of web unaware of the fingers reaching for it, catching it, plopping it in my mouth....' ~Myr

Tyranastrasz

If you can't heal yourself, you are probably doing something wrong. If you are targeting yourself (or a mob that is targeting you) when you cast your heal, then you should heal yourself. If you don't, it's a bug I've never seen before, and probably has something to do with your computer.

SquirrelWizard

I played EE for a bit. It was fun, but I had issues with the clunky skill system, and overall lag.

By clunky skill system, I mean you get skill points per level, but your ability to spend skill points is limited by character level, often times to the point where you will level and not be able to spend your skill points on something. A smoother skill grid wouldn't go amiss.

Also, their shard system is annoying too. I understand that they wanted to spread the population out over an area to help reduce lag, but every time you ran into a new zone (which there seem to be multiple zones per map) you would end up reloading the game as you got passed along into your shard. If you have a monster chewing on your butt, then that pretty much means you die while waiting for the status bar to fill.
Update Status: Zombified

<Tezkat> Talking to yourself is a sign of impending mental collapse.
<SquirrelWizard> I talk to myself all the time, and I'm the sanest guy I know.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

Reese Tora

Quote from: SquirrelWizard on December 11, 2009, 03:58:28 PMBy clunky skill system, I mean you get skill points per level, but your ability to spend skill points is limited by character level, often times to the point where you will level and not be able to spend your skill points on something. A smoother skill grid wouldn't go amiss.

Also, their shard system is annoying too. I understand that they wanted to spread the population out over an area to help reduce lag, but every time you ran into a new zone (which there seem to be multiple zones per map) you would end up reloading the game as you got passed along into your shard. If you have a monster chewing on your butt, then that pretty much means you die while waiting for the status bar to fill.

See, the thing is... I was saving up points after level 10 to buy my level 20 skills all right at level 20, but now that I'm past level 20 there's so many skills to buy if I want to stretch out (healing and travel, for one thing) I don't think I will ever reach the point where I again have extra skill points excepting where I am saving up points for an expensive skill.

The skill system does need to be metered like that, though, because you could become way too powerful at low level if allowed to max out one or two basic skills, and newbs would get too confused with having the entire skill set available to pick and choose from.  Also, there's the fact you can buy extra skill points if you have credits.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation