Hey, apparenltly Nickleodeon is jealous of disney's recent purchase...

Started by Jim Halisstrad, October 23, 2009, 12:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Halisstrad

To bad all 60 million would get them is four lousy mutated turtles.

Man, if you thought the merchandising was bad before....

Valynth

Meh, if it follows the standard Nickleodeon mold, I can safe predict either:

1.  The turtles gets their own successfull series and is thus cancelled like they were taking cues from Fox.

2.  They completely re-tool the entire concept and remove everything that's good and replacing it with Bondo, and keep showing it while refusing to admit it's bad.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Kipiru

I really hope they don't screw TMNT up- that show ruled in all its forms.  :raph

superluser

Quote from: Valynth on October 23, 2009, 02:07:11 AM2.  They completely re-tool the entire concept and remove everything that's good and replacing it with Bondo, and keep showing it while refusing to admit it's bad.

Wasn't that what happened when they turned it into the first TV series?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Kipiru on October 23, 2009, 03:09:30 AM
I really hope they don't screw TMNT up- that show ruled in all its forms.  :raph

Well, you obviously haven't seen all the forms. *wince*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Valynth

Quote from: superluser on October 23, 2009, 03:19:57 AM
Quote from: Valynth on October 23, 2009, 02:07:11 AM2.  They completely re-tool the entire concept and remove everything that's good and replacing it with Bondo, and keep showing it while refusing to admit it's bad.
Wasn't that what happened when they turned it into the first TV series

It's more like the standard actions taken now a days in an attempt to revive the good cartoons of the 80's for the sake of making a quick buck off of nostalgia and nerdly anger.

but... :yeahthat too
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Succubus_1982

Quote from: Kipiru on October 23, 2009, 03:09:30 AM

It's already been screwed up by the 'new remake' that was brought out a couple of years back right around the same time they started remaking He-Man.... *cringes just imagining it*

For me cheesy as it was I liked the original live action movies and then the Hero Turtles cartoon, yes it was corny and lame beyond belief but in such a way as it was still funny and enjoyable.

Anything that came after that is not worth regarding.
I'm not lazy... I'm motivationally impaired

How to be an evil Overlord Part 1|Part 2

You can Skype me at lucy_locket82 but note me first or I might delete you

superluser

Quote from: Valynth on October 23, 2009, 04:11:51 AMIt's more like the standard actions taken now a days in an attempt to revive the good cartoons of the 80's for the sake of making a quick buck off of nostalgia and nerdly anger.

The epitome of that for me would be if they remade Turbo Teen.  That just has ``They Just Didn't Care'' written all over it.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Alondro

*Charles longs for the good ol days of the talking brain Krang from Dimension X*   :3

I'll never forget the first time Mikey saw him:  "I was in a room with this big brain!  And it had EYES, and it was talking to me!"

And the reaction:  Ok, Mikey's gone bye-bye.   :giggle
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

JackLee1978

I guess there goes our dream of a Gonzo made PG-13 series. :cry Hopefully they'll cast Marc Diraison as an expert swordsman. :mowsmile

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Alondro on October 23, 2009, 01:07:13 PM
I'll never forget the first time Mikey saw him:  "I was in a room with this big brain!  And it had EYES, and it was talking to me!"

"And there was this humongous brain! And it had EYES, and a MOUTH, and it TALKED to me!"
"...sure thing, Mikey."
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Succubus_1982

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on October 23, 2009, 06:47:25 PM
Quote from: Alondro on October 23, 2009, 01:07:13 PM

"And there was this humongous brain! And it had EYES, and a MOUTH, and it TALKED to me!"
"...sure thing, Mikey."

Lol I remember that episode! It was one of the best!
I'm not lazy... I'm motivationally impaired

How to be an evil Overlord Part 1|Part 2

You can Skype me at lucy_locket82 but note me first or I might delete you

Caswin

I actually liked the 2003 series... up to to a point.  It's been a while, but it seemed to segue into something else without quite reaching a clear resolution.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Tezkat

I suppose it all depends on how (or perhaps more imporantly: when) you first got into TMNT...

I was introduced to them through Erick Wujick's pen and paper RPG. From there, the comics. Thus, when the first cartoon came out, I reacted in much the same way as most of the other pre-cartoon TMNT fans: Dude, WTF have you done to my turtles?!? :dface

They turned the whole TMNT universe on its head. April O'Neil went from geek girl to Lois Lane wannabe. Baxter Stockman turned white... at least until he became a fly. The pacifist aliens who lock their phasers on stun to avoid harming innocent life suddenly wanted to conquer the universe. And... pizza? The whole tone went from dark and edgy to a series of bad Saturday morning cartoon clichés.

The worst part was that the kiddification of the franchise made it untouchable to older audiences. I lost count of the number of times I had to explain that my long-running TMNT RPG campaign had nothing to do with pizza (or turtles, for that matter... :animesweat). My little furry roleplaying refuge had become tainted and uncool, even by the standards of d20-wielding geekdom.

Interestingly, the franchise seemed to grow closer to its roots with each generation.

The first movie was awesome. It returned to the darker, edgier feel of the original comics I'd grown up with--while still including the nods to the cartoon that made it popular. But then they made sequels... :animesweat

I only followed the 2003 reboot for the first two seasons or so, but most of that was straight out of the comics, which I enjoyed. The recent CGI movie was pretty cool, too.

So... now that Mirage has given up basically all creative control over the turtles, I figure the chances of a return to the things I liked about the turtles are pretty small...

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Jigsaw Forte

Eh, Nickelodeon DID give us "Avatar", after all. They can make good cartoons when they want to.

I bet more that they're just gonna take the old original cartoons and rebroadcast 'em.

Tezkat

They wouldn't need to pay $60 million for that, though. Rebroadcast rights cost considerably less. :animesweat They spent the money with the intention of rebuilding the franchise.

Supposedly, the new series will be full CGI and begin broadcasting in 2012. It's going to be full CGI. As I said, the CGI movie turned out pretty well, so that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm just not sure it will be my turtles, if you know what I mean...

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

JackTheCubiWolf

With you all talking about TMNT being bad in most of it's forms, it's making me wonder if a fan comic I read is actually bad and I don't realize it.

link
I'm back, and tired.