2009/10/17 [PF #83] "Personality cult"

Started by Fibre, October 17, 2009, 12:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fibre

Doesn't exactly sound like a very nice clan. The punishment seems rather harsh, as well...

As for the guest art, I am curious which part was drawn by Keaton. It fits in very well with the rest of the strip; I don't think that I would have noticed a change if it weren't mentioned. Regardless, very nicely done as always to all involved. :)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Fibre on October 17, 2009, 12:39:47 PM
Doesn't exactly sound like a very nice clan. The punishment seems rather harsh, as well...

As for the guest art, I am curious which part was drawn by Keaton. It fits in very well with the rest of the strip; I don't think that I would have noticed a change if it weren't mentioned. Regardless, very nicely done as always to all involved. :)

Thanks.  Keaton did the last three panels.  I'm hoping that at some point she can come back and shade them, but right now there's more work in the pipeline since unless disaster strikes, she'll be guesting in the next chapter as well and we don't have that long to get it together.

And yes, Dorcan's family was right to break away.

**EDIT**

If anyone's interested, higher-res versions of Keaton's panels can found here:
Project Future 83 details and outtakes

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ChaosMageX

What's this?  Dorcan's granddaddy is purple, a color that doesn't occur naturally on dobermans! :eek :boggle :blink :erk
Who are you and what have you done with the bland, all-natural Tapewolf?  :giggle :) :3

I like you better, and Amber probably does as well. ;)

(Seriously now, it was never mentioned in FH that Dorcan's grandfather was purple, or if it was I missed it.  Was that something you did as a result of Amber's heckling?)

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on October 18, 2009, 01:36:03 PM
What's this?  Dorcan's granddaddy is purple, color that doesn't occur naturally on dobermans! :eek :boggle :blink :erk
Who are you and what have you done with the bland, all-natural Tapewolf?  :giggle :) :3
I got someone to advise me on the colour schemes.  If anyone's curious, the earlier prototypes looked like this:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/projectfuture/MordrithB.png

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/projectfuture/MordrithB2.png

Because I like you better, and Amber probably does as well. ;)
Amber is liable to freak over the Queen's wings.  I did warn Keaton, but she insisted so now we get to play "...and there was another Tri-wing no-one knew about..."  :B

Quote(It was never mentioned in FH that Dorcan's grandfather was purple, or if it was I missed it.  Was that something you did as a result of Amber's heckling?)
He was never really described at all  :P

(Yes.)

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 18, 2009, 01:53:10 PM
Quote from: ChaosMageX on October 18, 2009, 01:36:03 PM
Because I like you better, and Amber probably does as well. ;)
Amber is liable to freak over the Queen's wings.  I did warn Keaton, but she insisted so now we get to play "...and there was another Tri-wing no-one knew about..."  :B

Is Amber really that critical about people making up new tri-wings for their fan-fictions?

I mean, I'd be pissed if they were used in twinking, but mostly they're just background characters.

Besides, older cubi (3000+ years old) or twi-wings are a necessity for making new founders for new clans, since we can't exactly use the clans that were created by others and by Amber herself.

Like, how the founder of clan Thlu-nhal (name still WIP), a clan with a fear and mischief affinity, loves to stop time to vandalize people's faces with graffiti as a prank.

Mischief is the opposite of justice, so you can imagine how clans with that affinity feel about them.

All Hallows Eve is their most hallowed day, and in a perfect world, I'll find time to write a story about them and post it before that day.

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on October 18, 2009, 02:12:42 PM
Is Amber really that critical about people making up new tri-wings for their fan-fictions?
I mean, I'd be pissed if they were used in twinking, but mostly they're just background characters.

Probably not, but it does bend canon quite a bit.  They're supposed to be fantastically rare - IIRC there have been maybe 200 in the race's entire 100'000 years history.  Also, I have a strong suspicion that the dragons are trying to eliminate them all.  We'll probably assume that [redacted] clan is too far out in the sticks to attract the wrong kind of attention.

QuoteLike, how the founder of clan Thlu-nhal (name still WIP), a clan with a fear and mischief affinity, loves to stop time to vandalize people's faces with graffiti as a prank.

All Hallows Eve is their most hallowed day, and in a perfect world, I'll find time to write a story about them and post it before that day.

Well, if you don't make the deadline I'd still like to read it...

Roach Lord

Tapewolf

Quote from: Roach Lord on October 18, 2009, 09:28:28 PM
Cubi can eat souls?

Yes.
This is why Joshua is terrified of them (Johan Cross was said to have eaten many during his evil reign), it is why Dan in DMFA was less than happy to discover that is one himself, why Keaton has a bad reputation and why Jakob has spent billions trying to devise a workable substitute.

This is how they work in Furrae, though I have yet to find any references to them doing this in the original medieval folklore of the succubus.

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 18, 2009, 01:53:10 PM
Amber is liable to freak over the Queen's wings.  I did warn Keaton, but she insisted so now we get to play "...and there was another Tri-wing no-one knew about..."  :B

I insisted? Now I feel bad for bending canon. D:

However, I'm pretty sure that Amber's expressed indifference regarding what people do with fan-canon, but has advised people to be reasonable with clan creation. (In that few Cubi are going to come from really high powerful clans.) Still, I don't want to abuse that, since I already feel like I'm really, really pushing it. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF--

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 19, 2009, 03:11:40 PM
However, I'm pretty sure that Amber's expressed indifference regarding what people do with fan-canon, but has advised people to be reasonable with clan creation. (In that few Cubi are going to come from really high powerful clans.) Still, I don't want to abuse that, since I already feel like I'm really, really pushing it. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF--

Yeah, well, these things happen...

EDIT:
The one thing I forgot to do this time around was credit Keaton for her writing help in these chapters.  Without her this thing would have fallen flat on its face.

Pagan

I forget, what has Amber said happens to a person when his or her soul is eaten? Complete cessation of existence?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Pagan on October 19, 2009, 05:32:10 PM
I forget, what has Amber said happens to a person when his or her soul is eaten? Complete cessation of existence?

That's the implication.  She has used the phrase "eaten/destroyed" when someone asked about the idea of Jyrras inventing some kind of soul-slaying gun.  Actually, that's not true and the jury's still out on it.  The exact quote was "Really a device like that would probably just put him on a technological level to the magic-equivalent of soul-stealing/destroying...so he'd be on Cubi/Demon/Angel/etc level."

Personally,  suspect it destroys the person involved.  That said, it has been posited that the process might not be 100% efficient (DP's resurrection problem springs to mind) which means that you might lose, say, 99% of your existence but that's still not exactly an enviable position to be in.

Back on the old forum someone suggested that it might work by binding the victim's soul to the Creature's rather than simply metabolising the energy, but personally it sounds a bit "Wait, he might not be dead..." to me.

For the purpose of PF I'm assuming it's total death, which is why Jakob and Niall are so opposed to the practice.

Sometimes I refer to it as "the True Death" (a phrase shamelessly stolen from 'True Names' where "death" refers to someone's avatar dying and "true death" refers to the player themselves being killed)

Corgatha Taldorthar

About the Tri-wing 'Cubi, you can always claim she isn't that powerful, just shapeshifting a third set of wings to bluff that she's a hulking avatar of doom :P
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Okay, I don't know where we are with the comic.  Ren swore he's try and get it done tonight, but now he seems to have vanished so Christ knows what's happening.  I don't and with everything else that gone wrong this evening he's probably lost his internet connection or something.

Okay, somewhat less stressed now.  Fingers crossed we should still make tomorrow.  It might have to be a bit rushed on the backdrops, if so I'll probably revisit it when I get back.

If we don't make it tomorrow there won't be one until Monday as this will be a very busy (and kind of stressful) weekend for me.