O.C.: Aisha (Colored by WF) and Untitled by Kip (Updated 08-24-09)

Started by WhiteFox, July 29, 2009, 12:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteFox

Kipiru:
Demoness Zia (Inked)
-Colored By rhyfe2002
Egyptian Blade Maiden (Inked)
-Colored By Aisha deCabre
-Colored By WhiteFox
Rightous Fury Inked

Aisha:
Aisha (Inked)
-Colored By Tapewolf

-Colored By Whitefox

I was looking at Turnsky's recent post in Mao's thread, and it gave me an idea: an open collaboration thread.

Concept goes thus: Someone posts a piece of work, someone else continues it and reposts.

-The topic is open to multiple works at once. There is no waiting in line, and an artist can submit more then one drawing at a time.

-On reposting, the artist can say whether or not the image is up for further collaboration. Eg: Someone posts a sketch, someone else inks it, and then posts it again for a third collaborator to color.

-Collaborators can add as much or as little as they feel. Reposted images should have a meaningful contribution made to them, however.

-Collaborators can add anything they want to a piece of artwork: background, light and shadows, other FX, or just touching up the existing artwork (Some artists may be particularly good at shading and coloring metals, or hair, or such.) Sketches can be as loose as desired, even to the point where the character in the pic is not defined (IE: only the layout of the figures pose)

-A given sketch may be collab'd more then once. Eg: Person A posts a sketch, both Person B and Person C may try inking it.

-If an artist wants advice on a piece of work, they can submit it and have collaborators "re-draw" their suggestions. (This would be especially handy if someone needs advice on anatomy or proportions.)

I will keep track of the collabs here in the first post, including the "version history" of each pic.

As a note: submitted artwork should be of a decent resolution, and as clean as possible. Artists are suggested to add a byline (EG: "Colors by WhiteFox") when reposting work. Also, discussion should be kept to the artists personal thread to prevent congestion here.

So... any takers?
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Kipiru

Great idea WF- this could be fun. May I be the first to post:
Demoness Zia

WhiteFox

Wow, that was fast.

Alright, let's get this train wreck started.  :)

As a note, there's no reason we can't have multiple sketches on the table, so the topic is still open for submissions.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

rhyfe2002

I think it might be good for the original artist to mention if the potential colorist has to stick to a certain color scheme, or is free to do what he/she wants. If it's the former it might be good to give links to existing colored artwork, or just splash dabs of the correct color onto a small area.

Tapewolf

Just my 2p here, I think it may be worth reminding people that JPEG is not a good format for this sort of collaboration as it suffers generation loss.  Each time you save a JPEG file after editing the quality will deteriorate, resulting in this:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/dmfa/jpeg.png
(see right hand side of image)

My word isn't law, of course, but it's just a suggestion - IIRC a lot of time was spent trying to clean up the JPEG garbage on the 'Night on the Town' picture.  It might be a better idea to use TIFF, PNG or a PSD in a zipfile or something.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kipiru

Quote from: rhyfe2002 on July 30, 2009, 05:28:25 AM
I think it might be good for the original artist to mention if the potential colorist has to stick to a certain color scheme, or is free to do what he/she wants. If it's the former it might be good to give links to existing colored artwork, or just splash dabs of the correct color onto a small area.

The rules of the game state that the intervention may be absolutely random, so I've given no color scheme and don't expect anything in particular. If someone thinks this will look better in yellow with brown spots- go ahead, do it! If someone disagrees, he can present an alternative color scheme. And the follow ups can choose between the two suggestions. This can go on until the picture has a background and 3 layers of shading , at which point it will be finished.

rhyfe2002

Super ultra quick job:

Never really colored armor before, I can't draw armor pieces to save myself, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Kipiru

Quote from: rhyfe2002 on July 30, 2009, 10:29:46 AM
Super ultra quick job:

Never really colored armor before, I can't draw armor pieces to save myself, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

DUDE, YOU ARE A GOD!!!  :bow
All this need now is a background.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kipiru on July 30, 2009, 01:34:05 PM
I'm not sure about deification, but I certainly like the shading.  Very nice.

QuoteAll this need now is a background.
I was tempted, but I'd probably end up putting her inside an office building or in the middle of a forest or something  :<

rhyfe2002

Quote from: Kipiru on July 30, 2009, 01:34:05 PM
Quote from: rhyfe2002 on July 30, 2009, 10:29:46 AM
Super ultra quick job:

All this need now is a background.

Bleh, if I was the world would be BURNING in ETERNAL FLAMES for what it did to meeeee... *cough*

Seriously, you aren't that bad yourself.. I really wish I could draw armor like that T_T;

Kipiru

OK. mind if I give another suggestion:

Egyptian Blade Maiden

WhiteFox

Not a problem.

This a stand in line, one sketch at a time, project. There's no reason we can't have multiple sketches, by multiple artists, on the table.

Quote from: rhyfe2002 on July 30, 2009, 03:03:42 PM
Seriously, you aren't that bad yourself.. I really wish I could draw armor like that T_T;

That's one of the fun things about collabs. you get a chance to work with material other then your own, and see how another artist would handle yours.

[EDIT] Is that supposed to Maden, or do you mean "maiden"?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: WhiteFox on July 31, 2009, 10:44:31 AM
This a stand in line, one sketch at a time, project. There's no reason we can't have multiple sketches, by multiple artists, on the table.

Do you think you a word out? ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

WhiteFox

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 31, 2009, 11:04:44 AM
Quote from: WhiteFox on July 31, 2009, 10:44:31 AM
This isn't a stand in line, one sketch at a time, project. There's no reason we can't have multiple sketches, by multiple artists, on the table.

Do you think you a word out? ;-]

(Re-reads original post) No, no I absolutely did not. Never, not at all, nu uh.

Okay, maybe.

Aisha deCabre

*Cough*  If I may be so very bold as to ask, is there a rating tied to this thread?  :B

Anyway, I finally followed the temptation to try this thread out myself...and since there can be multiple sketches to try, I was working on a new picture of Aisha last night and decided to save the lineart just for this thing.  I'd like to see people's talents in coloring/shading her compared to mine, and I know there are already some rather talented peeps here.

Her color scheme is rather simple like that, but anyone can add nifty designs to her clothes if they so choose.  :3  If this works out, I may just use this opportunity to collab a surprise or two...while I put my coloring talents to use on other works. x3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

WhiteFox

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on July 31, 2009, 12:10:01 PM
*Cough*  If I may be so very bold as to ask, is there a rating tied to this thread?  :B

I didn't have any limits on rating in mind, though forum standards  still apply.

If anyone wants to post an NSFW image for consideration, by all means do so. But link to the image rather then use the [img] tag, and mark the link as NSFW.

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: WhiteFox on July 31, 2009, 06:00:59 PM
Quote from: Aisha deCabre on July 31, 2009, 12:10:01 PM

I didn't have any limits on rating in mind, though forum standards  still apply....

Ah, alright.  I was just curious, I hope nobody took it as me being cheeky, or anything. ^^;

Anyway, I felt a little creative and a little silly that I put a sketch to the thread and didn't have anything to color so...I decided to tackle Kipiru's Blade Maiden:

Just a little-bit-quick-but-rushed color and shading job.  Apologies for any gaps in the color, the picture was the most elaborate thing I'd ever done.  But that counts as a compliment to Kipiru for his pretty awesome skills. :3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Lysander

Great work to both Kipiru and Aisha on that one. A very complex idea to to draw, and I can't really imagine how much better that could be colored and shaded.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

Tapewolf

No-one seems to have taken up on Aisha's pic, so I figured I might give it a go.  Frankly I wasn't sure it was worth even trying as the colouring so far is in a totally different league to mine and it seems too much like a step backwards.  Still, at the very least it will provide a base for someone to add shading and perhaps replace the simplistic background.

What the boomerang was made from wasn't in her wiki entry so I went with a metal effect.  If that needs undoing I can fix it, or the next artist can do so.  you'll want to replace it on the 'shinies' layer - the glow will leak out if you simple erase it.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/scraps/Aisha-c2.png

PSD and full-res PNG can be found here:
http://www.project-future.org/stuff/things/Aisha-c.rar

WhiteFox

Damn you Aisha! Always one step ahead of me...

Blade Maiden: It's hot in Egypt. (Moderate NSFW: PG 13 Nudity)

Slight difference in costume design.  :3

I think this is my most successful work with highlights.

High-Res PNG
PSD File

I have a partially colored version of Aisha's pic, but it's being... problematic in a few spots.

--Fixed PNG link.  -TW

e_voyager

Tools! i need more art tools! this looks too fun to pass up. anyone can illustrate the images right?
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

WhiteFox

Aisha deCabre

The coloring of Aisha looks pretty good so far Tape, thanks :3  I especially like the glow effect on her boomerang, and yeah, you have it pretty well spot on, it's a silvery metal and light-enchanted.  I'm sorry that it didn't seem worth the time though. ^^;  Can't wait to see what, if anyone, does with it.

Glad that my coloring of the Blade Maiden was liked too, least I hope Kipiru likes it, haven't heard it from him...sure as shooting he'd like both mine and yours, WhiteFox.  :P

As for other renderings of Aisha...if anyone wants I think I can alter the original PSD file I saved of my original coloring so that it's just lineart, so it'd be easier to fiddle with.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on August 02, 2009, 09:43:08 PM
The coloring of Aisha looks pretty good so far Tape, thanks :3  I especially like the glow effect on her boomerang, and yeah, you have it pretty well spot on, it's a silvery metal and light-enchanted.  I'm sorry that it didn't seem worth the time though. ^^;  Can't wait to see what, if anyone, does with it.
Yeah, that should be good.

Now.  Many years ago, around 1992-1995, there was an annual convention/competition named 'Assembly'.  It may still be held, but times have changed and nevermind.  Programmers and artists would gather to show off what they had created and what they created were things like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtCW-axRJV8

...the entire system was created from scratch, just these guys.  No DirectX or any help from the system, they wrote every line of code from the fundamental drawing routines to the sound drivers on a system which has about a 15th of the computing power of an average mobile phone.  It's not video playback either, the whole thing was generated on the fly.

The thing is, the Future Crew were sufficiently good at this that people started to go "Why bother?  They'll win.", (which is similar to what I was feeling) and because of that, the FC basically bowed out of the scene, which in many ways was a shame (then Windows came along and took the effort out of making demos - it's only recently that people have been pushing the limits again.  Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Eg3dBnsHk - where the entire program, music, artwork and code is 180k - only a bit bigger than a DMFA strip ).

But I digress.  I guess I was a bit despondent when I wrote that, but on the other hand what I've done with your picture isn't as good as what you could do with it yourself and I guess I felt a bit awkward about that, especially as it sounded like you were hoping for someone more talented to take it up  :P

Anyway, yeah... it should be interesting to see what people do with it.

Kipiru

Both Aisha and White Fox's renditions of The Blade Maiden are awesome! Nice feel for colors from both of you!Asiha made her look even more menacing in that smooth dark pattern and I love how Fox managed to make her body seem even more muscular and...moist and that tan. When I tried coloring this it ended in a disastrous color headache. Really splendid!

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 03, 2009, 06:19:10 AM

But I digress.  I guess I was a bit despondent when I wrote that, but on the other hand what I've done with your picture isn't as good as what you could do with it yourself and I guess I felt a bit awkward about that, especially as it sounded like you were hoping for someone more talented to take it up  :P

Anyway, yeah... it should be interesting to see what people do with it.

Ohhh...that's what you meant. ^^;  You don't have to feel awkward, I'd like to see how anyone colors the picture, however good they are.  That even one person decided to take it up makes me happy, and I appreciate it.  I didn't mean to sound disappointed...wherever I did.

...Actually I was even beginning to think that I'd be singled against in this thread anyway.  As if anybody would take up my horrendous pictures. xP

Quote from: Kipiru on August 03, 2009, 07:48:49 AM
Both Aisha and White Fox's renditions of The Blade Maiden are awesome! Nice feel for colors from both of you!Asiha made her look even more menacing in that smooth dark pattern and I love how Fox managed to make her body seem even more muscular and...moist and that tan. When I tried coloring this it ended in a disastrous color headache. Really splendid!

Quite glad you liked it, Kipiru, 'twas fun. :3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Kipiru

I know this would count as resurrection, but since this is the Tower of Art, let's see if this topic can run again.
Here is another one of my never-got-around-to-coloring-it pics:

Have fun with it  :mowwink

WhiteFox

I'm going to have to throw in the towel

I took a shot at Aisha, but my shading techniques aren't very compatible with the drawing style. This was the best I could do:
Aisha De Cabre: Let There Be Light
As a note, I reworked a few of Aisha's original lines.
(Also, if I had been thinking, I would have used the boomerang as a light source. But I wasn't. Gah.)

And the .psd is here, if anyone wants to continue it

At any rate... I'm glad there's still interest in this. I was having fun.

[EDIT] Kip, does she have a name or do I have to save the file as "Hey you?"

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: WhiteFox on August 24, 2009, 08:33:50 PM
I'm going to have to throw in the towel

I took a shot at Aisha, but my shading techniques aren't very compatible with the drawing style. This was the best I could do:
Aisha De Cabre: Let There Be Light
As a note, I reworked a few of Aisha's original lines.
(Also, if I had been thinking, I would have used the boomerang as a light source. But I wasn't. Gah.)

And the .psd is here, if anyone wants to continue it

At any rate... I'm glad there's still interest in this. I was having fun.

Wow. o.o  I don't see the problem WhiteFox, your shading techniques are pretty darned good, and I like how Aisha came out with it, she looks quite fierce.  Though the dark line on her face makes her look aged a little, but that's the only thing that caught my eye that I thought to mention critique-wise.

Many thanks for the effort, I like to see that. ^^

Though I am quite sorry that my picture seems to have made you throw in the towel. ^^;;  I may just jump out too, considering I almost thought this topic was dead...I dunno how else to make it easier to do.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

WhiteFox

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on August 24, 2009, 08:39:51 PM
I may just jump out too, considering I almost thought this topic was dead...

NEVAR!  :U

But seriously... by all means, submit another piece if you want to.

The only reason I hadn't posted in a while was because all the time I had for drawing was going into my comic... and I'd already colored just about every other piece.

I just noticed I haven't contributed a drawing yet. Zounds.