8/01/09 [DMFA #1025] - Fae Fire Hazard

Started by Jairus, August 01, 2009, 12:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forycles

The last panel Mab is... scary. Never seen that expression on her face.

Gabi

"With great power comes...oh hey! Shinies!"

Nice description of the current arc.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Lucheek

I think Mab's great plan has something to do with Destania. It would explain why Dan isn't going to like her in the end (she killed/disrupted his mother/'s plans). It would kind of make sense why she and Fa'Lina are "old/new" friends, you know? Maybe Jyrras is going to build some kind of machine that will be used to stop Destania, and that's why he needs to keep working.

Just speculation, y'know.

Jairus

Quote from: Lucheek on August 01, 2009, 11:51:05 AM
I think Mab's great plan has something to do with Destania. It would explain why Dan isn't going to like her in the end (she killed/disrupted his mother/'s plans). It would kind of make sense why she and Fa'Lina are "old/new" friends, you know? Maybe Jyrras is going to build some kind of machine that will be used to stop Destania, and that's why he needs to keep working.

Just speculation, y'know.
I have think that Dan wouldn't like her in the end because he'll learn that Mab's been manipulating and using all of them, not because of his mom's plans. Dan seems to put a lot of stock in his friends, so learning that one of them betrayed him like that would be pretty bad.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

kaskar

As signal flares in the night .....
8) Just Hanging Around ...

JackTheCubiWolf

I'm going to grab the marshmellows. Fae fires probally make them extra sweet.
I'm back, and tired.

Fibre

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 01, 2009, 10:58:08 AM
As for Mab, the more I look at this the more I'm thinking that she's been summoned or something by another Fae, rather than it being caused by what Jy said.

My first thought when seeing the strip was that the flaming antennae could be a result of Albanion not appreciating Mab's comment about him or the discussion in general. I would guess that he could have been keeping an eye on Jyrras invisibly...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Fibre on August 01, 2009, 01:03:11 PM
My first thought when seeing the strip was that the flaming antennae could be a result of Albanion not appreciating Mab's comment about him or the discussion in general.
It was her plan and he was happy to play Bad Cop, so I'm not sure.  But it could be Albanion, yes.

One of the things which makes me suspect it's another Fae doing that is the title of the chapter.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

FSharp

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 01, 2009, 01:19:22 PMOne of the things which makes me suspect it's another Fae doing that is the title of the chapter.

It's a bit of blue sky thinking, but I'd actually like to see a story arc where Mab is pitted against an adversary capable of thwarting her plans--be it fae, dragon, or what have you. Mab's great for playing deus ex machina and periodically breaking the fourth wall, but nothing lends weight to a hero like an equivalent villain.

Though, admittedly, the thought of a fae version of Professor Moriarty is--to borrow a word from Jyrras ... unsettling.
"To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kuari

Quote from: Sofox on August 01, 2009, 10:48:37 AM
Guys, something puts me off about the art in this comic and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

I mean, compared to, for example, comics on either side of: http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_847.php (I really loved the art and colour around that time); something about he current strip seems desaturated, or flat, or just something. Maybe it's just that the one I linked to seems to flow better, more relaxed or something. I can't put my finger on it, it evades me and seems to rely more on the gestalt of the strips rather then individual details, the only thing I can clearly point out is that Mab's cuffs are a different colour between but that's just a clothing detail so couldn't be it.

I don't mean to be finicky here, but it is something that got on my mind.

Now that you mention it...  the shading is a bit off if you look between them closely, but no biggy

Zedd

Starcat5

Dear lord, I have a theory as to what all is going on, but just trying to organize it is making me want to put on a tinfoil hat. Here goes:

While it is true that Pyroduck was raised by Fa'Lina, he has claimed in the past to be a time traveler from the future. For both of these points to be true, he must have been very young when he did it. Maybe even unhatched for all we know. To make matters worse, if Dee's plans succeed, Pyro would most likely be one of the last few dragons left alive in his timeline. And for the mindscrew angel, if Dee DOES pull off this bit of ethnic cleansing, it isn't something an adventurer like Dan can overlook just because she is his mother. So Dee dies, and Dan is angsty for the rest of his life. Turning the disaster level up to 11, Furrae might be a simple backwater reality, but chances are that, like the Fay Kingdom, the reality that Dragons call home is far more important in the grand scheme of things. For the sake of argument, lets say that it is in fact a load baring reality, who's destruction would cause the whole omniverse to slowly unravel. At this point, changing the past is the only option. However, the options of who to send are limited. Sending a young Pyro, along with a note as to what happened, back in time to a Chess Master-Magnificent Bastard with unresolved former mother issues seems like the kind of Xanatos Gambit a Fay like (Future)Mab might try. Mind you, the only thing keeping it from becoming a Xanatos Roulette is Fa'Lina contacting (Our)Mab so she can start doing the heavy lifting of the plan, so to speak.

This, of course, will fail miserably. Instrad, Pyroduck's dating Alexsi will a chance to take a third option. With Pyro being both Fa'Lina's son, and now Dee's son-in-law, Dee's plan has now gone out the window. After she finally comes clean with Dan, we find out just how many dragons Dan actually knows. This will all culminate into a dragon civil war between the factions responsible for the various Cubi clan extinctions, and those factions who feel that the whole Cubi-Dragon war was a bad idea all around and that maybe a change in leadership is in order. I honestly suspect that most of them will be halfbreeds, seeing as dragon culture tends to look down on them.

Toss in a few plot twists, Amber's humor, shake well, and you have a recipe for a Wild Mass Guessing that has left me with a splitting headache. Excuse me. I need to lay down for a while.

Edit:
techmaster-glitch: Just change the note with something involving even MORE time traven. Frankly, I don't want to have to think about this again after going to bed with a headache, waking up with a headache, and now about to go to work with a headache.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

terrycloth

Maybe one of the fae laws says that they have to try to help anyone who says something would mean the world to them?

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: starcat5 on August 01, 2009, 04:49:28 PM
Dear lord, I have a theory as to what all is going on, but just trying to organize it is making me want to put on a tinfoil hat. Here goes:

While it is true that Pyroduck was raised by Fa'Lina, he has claimed in the past to be a time traveler from the future. For both of these points to be true, he must have been very young when he did it. Maybe even unhatched for all we know. To make matters worse, if Dee's plans succeed, Pyro would most likely be one of the last few dragons left alive in his timeline. And for the mindscrew angel, if Dee DOES pull off this bit of ethnic cleansing, it isn't something an adventurer like Dan can overlook just because she is his mother. So Dee dies, and Dan is angsty for the rest of his life. Turning the disaster level up to 11, Furrae might be a simple backwater reality, but chances are that, like the Fay Kingdom, the reality that Dragons call home is far more important in the grand scheme of things. For the sake of argument, lets say that it is in fact a load baring reality, who's destruction would cause the whole omniverse to slowly unravel. At this point, changing the past is the only option. However, the options of who to send are limited. Sending a young Pyro, along with a note as to what happened, back in time to a Chess Master-Magnificent Bastard with unresolved former mother issues seems like the kind of Xanatos Gambit a Fay like (Future)Mab might try. Mind you, the only thing keeping it from becoming a Xanatos Roulette is Fa'Lina contacting (Our)Mab so she can start doing the heavy lifting of the plan, so to speak.

This, of course, will fail miserably. Instrad, Pyroduck's dating Alexsi will a chance to take a third option. With Pyro being both Fa'Lina's son, and now Dee's son-in-law, Dee's plan has now gone out the window. After she finally comes clean with Dan, we find out just how many dragons Dan actually knows. This will all culminate into a dragon civil war between the factions responsible for the various Cubi clan extinctions, and those factions who feel that the whole Cubi-Dragon war was a bad idea all around and that maybe a change in leadership is in order. I honestly suspect that most of them will be halfbreeds, seeing as dragon culture tends to look down on them.

Toss in a few plot twists, Amber's humor, shake well, and you have a recipe for a Wild Mass Guessing that has left me with a splitting headache. Excuse me. I need to lay down for a while.
A good theory, and I don't know how this affects it, but I think you are missing one thing;
the line from this comic.
now, figure -that- into the theory! :mwaha

LoneHowler

I think of its more the fae version of "my antenna (ears) are burning someone must be talking about me"
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

OminousShadow

97% of teens would cry if they saw Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen from Twilight) standing on top of a skyscraper, about to jump. If you're one of the 3% who would sit there eating popcorn screaming "DO A FLIP, YOU SPARKLY (I am not smart enough to use polite words)!" then copy and paste.

Tyranastrasz

Well, I think you guys are forgetting one detail: the comment/title thing for this page is "Saying the right thing for the foreshadowing reasons." This leads me to believe that whatever Mab's antennae are fwooshing for, it must be something that was said. Since Jyrras was the one talking when Mab's antennae went fwoosh, I would assume something in that bubble is what set them off.

Quote from: OminousShadow on August 01, 2009, 09:03:36 PM
Mab's face in panel 3 is priceless.
yes, yes it is.

Jairus

Maybe Mab thinks that Jyrras can rule the world as a benevolent dictator through the power of cuteness or something. Or she wants him to stop someone from ruling the world. Or Amber knows and tells nothing.

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: Jairus on August 01, 2009, 10:54:03 PM
Maybe Mab thinks that Jyrras can rule the world as a benevolent dictator through the power of cuteness or something. Or she wants him to stop someone from ruling the world. Or Amber knows and tells nothing.

I'm gonna have to go with C on that one. AMBER KNOWS ALL!

Jairus

Quote from: Tyranastrasz on August 01, 2009, 11:05:19 PM
Quote from: Jairus on August 01, 2009, 10:54:03 PM

I'm gonna have to go with C on that one. AMBER KNOWS ALL!
... crud. I meant to say "knows all and tells nothing." Dangit.