07/24/09 [DMFA #1024] - Experts Agree:Abel is Gay

Started by OminousShadow, July 23, 2009, 11:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scuravolpe

The sexuality of shapeshifters is an interesting topic, but not hard to really figure out. Considering gender is basically optional for them, they're pretty much free to go after whatever they want, as they can be whatever gender or race they want. The entire psychology and mentality behind their preferences leans towards bisexuality as the norm, at least once they've fully developed their shapeshifting abilities. I would even go so far as to say that heterosexuality would be considered a deviation for them, probably the same way homosexuality is for humans. When you talk about and consider their actions and reactions towards other people of the same or different gender, you must always keep in mind that they only vaguely think similarly to you. Their minds work off a totally different set of priorities, so even body language and word choice isn't reliable for determining intent and reasoning.

My opinion of Abel: I haven't a clue. Keep in mind Abel is first and foremost a manipulator, so if you think he's gone around showing his true feeling at every turn, you'd be wrong. He told Jyrras to go with his feelings because Abel doesn't like people pretending to be what they aren't, but he still has his defenses up himself (who said he isn't able to contradict himself a little - it's called a character flaw, people have them, I know, weird right?). I don't think he so much acts like what he's not, than he just doesn't let people in. He's usually either off-putting, cold, and sarcastic or displaying muted emotions at best, so reading him is a damn difficult challenge.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Scuravolpe on July 25, 2009, 04:51:30 AM
The entire psychology and mentality behind their preferences leans towards bisexuality as the norm, at least once they've fully developed their shapeshifting abilities.

That and spending 400 years with other shapeshifters who are permanently 20-something is liable to have some side-effects.

QuoteHe [Abel] told Jyrras to go with his feelings because Abel doesn't like people pretending to be what they aren't, but he still has his defenses up himself (who said he isn't able to contradict himself a little - it's called a character flaw, people have them, I know, weird right?). I don't think he so much acts like what he's not, than he just doesn't let people in. He's usually either off-putting, cold, and sarcastic or displaying muted emotions at best, so reading him is a damn difficult challenge.

I suspect it's just that he's damaged goods.  It's the simplest explanation.
Abel's real hatred seems to be of people maliciously impersonating others, e.g. what Aniz did with Cid.  Pretending that he (Abel) is different to how he really is inside isn't exactly the same thing, it's probably just a defence mechanism.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Scuravolpe on July 25, 2009, 04:51:30 AM
The sexuality of shapeshifters is an interesting topic, but not hard to really figure out. Considering gender is basically optional for them, they're pretty much free to go after whatever they want, as they can be whatever gender or race they want. The entire psychology and mentality behind their preferences leans towards bisexuality as the norm, at least once they've fully developed their shapeshifting abilities. I would even go so far as to say that heterosexuality would be considered a deviation for them, probably the same way homosexuality is for humans. When you talk about and consider their actions and reactions towards other people of the same or different gender, you must always keep in mind that they only vaguely think similarly to you. Their minds work off a totally different set of priorities, so even body language and word choice isn't reliable for determining intent and reasoning.

You're overthinking it, based on your own preferences (I would guess). Amber has said that whle they can _look_ like anything they want, males can't use shapeshifting to get pregnant. This suggests that females can't use shapeshifting to impregnate other non-Cubi females, either (although from memory she didn't say it in as many words).

As a result... while they might play the field, so to speak, I'm betting they still have preferences. And, as with any large group of people, those preferences vary from person to person.

In short - they're just people. Just like everyone else.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Scuravolpe

Oh, I agree. I'm just saying, "playing the other game" wouldn't be some sort of weird "out-there" taboo for them, as most of them can rather easily try it from both points of view. My other point was that they don't use human logic, they use Cubi logic, so to assume too many similarities is taking a lot for granted. Certain instinctual things as breeding and eating are pretty much the same, but when you introduce optional gender (but not full biology, as Amber said), the sexuality becomes much more separated from reproduction and open to deviation than with our boring, single-form bodies. Bring in nigh-immortality and all of a sudden we're not even in the same ballpark, let alone playing the same game. Maybe I overestimated the ratio of straight-to-bisexual by saying it was probably inverted compared to humans, but I doubt it isn't considered common at the very least.

Huzzah for extended discussions on totally peripheral matters in a fictional world. But hey, just shows we love it.

Keleth

Here's the real question.

Why does sexual orientation of a character -matter- so much? :b

It really shouldn't matter, so I assume people just think about it because they're bored?
Help! I'm gay!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Drathorin on July 25, 2009, 07:58:05 AM

People think too much with their genitals.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 25, 2009, 08:53:13 AM

Kria's use of the terms "incubus-level hot" and "Aren't you the little succubus?" (when first meeting Jyrras) suggest that 'Cubi might suffer from that too.

Kipiru

Not just too much, entirely! All humanity does is in the name of procreation and that is a fact! 99 % of all the actions of any person are done with the conscious or subconscious thought of impressing a member of the opposite sex. And that goes for normal humans, who I think are most closely realted to beings in the DMFA world, now imagine an emotion crazed demon and apply this to it. It's a wonder they don't go around humping at sight!

JackTheCubiWolf

I'm back, and tired.

rabid_fox

Oh dear.

Mao

Quote from: Kipiru on July 25, 2009, 10:29:34 AM

Not just too much, entirely! All humanity does is in the name of procreation and that is a fact! 99 % of all the actions of any person are done with the conscious or subconscious thought of impressing a member of the opposite sex. And that goes for normal humans, who I think are most closely realted to beings in the DMFA world, now imagine an emotion crazed demon and apply this to it. It's a wonder they don't go around humping at sight!

I would love to know where you got those numbers and facts...I've got a whole list of motivations that say otherwise and some interesting psych books that talk about projecting that I think you might want to read.

Kenji

No, people like to think what they can do to who with their genitals.

TheDXM

I see the infamous 'Abel's sexuality' question is still raging in everyone's minds.

Just so everyone knows: If you put it on Wikipedia, it DOES become true.

Kipiru

Quote from: Mao Laoren on July 25, 2009, 03:42:07 PM
Quote from: Kipiru on July 25, 2009, 10:29:34 AM

I would love to know where you got those numbers and facts...I've got a whole list of motivations that say otherwise and some interesting psych books that talk about projecting that I think you might want to read.

I get them from me! Keep your books, my mind is set!  8)

Jairus

Quote from: The DXM on July 25, 2009, 05:51:55 PM
I see the infamous 'Abel's sexuality' question is still raging in everyone's minds.

Just so everyone knows: If you put it on Wikipedia, it DOES become true.
But if you change what is on Wikipedia, then that also becomes true...

Oh gods... WIKIPEDIA IS A REALITY WARPER. We must destroy it!
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Teroniss

Quote from: Goatmon on July 25, 2009, 02:27:43 AM
Quote from: Teroniss on July 24, 2009, 10:01:05 PM
I've always viewed Abel as asexual. Throughout the comic so far, he really hasnt shown any sexual interest in anyone at all, male or female. As for the random crossdressing; crossdressing doesnt necessarily determine sexuality, simply a curiousity in cross gender fashion.....

He's never shown sexual interest, but he's certainly acted more femenine than most of the female cast, from time to time.

So that just means he's androgenous......  :rolleyes

(ps- Looking back at some of the older comics, Abel actually admits in a Question from the Viewers panel that he is androgenous, but all male. Take that how you will....)

TheWhiteChild

Eheheh... Well, I happen to have seen a -certain- Rule 34 picture that Amber herself drew, and I can definitely say for sure Abel is NOT straight. He's any of the rest, although he did that just to get him to shut up.   >:3

No, I will not link or tell what it is here, so You'll have to use your imagination. Of course, you could email to ask about it.  :mowwink

Dagardo

Quote from: TheWhiteChild on July 27, 2009, 03:50:00 AM
Eheheh... Well, I happen to have seen a -certain- Rule 34 picture that Amber herself drew, and I can definitely say for sure Abel is NOT straight. He's any of the rest, although he did that just to get him to shut up.   >:3

We can both say that, for I know of the picture you speak of. And it doubly confirms something else we all already knew as well. :3 What it is I won't say, simply for those who don't know what it is.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Dagardo on July 27, 2009, 06:18:23 AM
Quote from: TheWhiteChild on July 27, 2009, 03:50:00 AM
We can both say that, for I know of the picture you speak of. And it doubly confirms something else we all already knew as well. :3 What it is I won't say, simply for those who don't know what it is.

What makes you think that that image (any of them - I'm aware of at least three that match the descriptions so far) are canon?

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 27, 2009, 07:58:35 AM
What makes you think that that image (any of them - I'm aware of at least three that match the descriptions so far) are canon?

Wishful thinking? :P

Dagardo

I said they were canon? If I did I apologize, that's not what I meant to say. I was trying to say something else and I can't remember what. And looking at my previous post isn't helping at all. Listening to music kinda makes me brain dead.

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Jairus on July 24, 2009, 12:28:19 PM
Quote from: ChaosMageX on July 24, 2009, 12:23:32 PM
Who else here thinks that Jyrras from DMFA and Nina Einstein from Code Geass have similar personalities?

They're both intellectuals, they're both sensitive, and they both develop homoerotic crushes for other characters in their settings. :P
Well, to a certain degree. Somehow, I doubt that Jyrras is going to be using any tables in a fashion like Nina did, or snap and go crazy and try to kill everyone when his crush gets killed, and reveal himself to be a creaturephobic asshole. That doesn't entirely sound like Jyboy.

I sure hope Abel doesn't get killed. That would just be the cherry on the sundae of suckage that is his life.

I wouldn't be quite that certain (regarding Jyrras), given http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_102.php ...
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Dagardo on July 27, 2009, 08:42:06 AM

I said they were canon? If I did I apologize, that's not what I meant to say. I was trying to say something else and I can't remember what. And looking at my previous post isn't helping at all. Listening to music kinda makes me brain dead.

I do believe you and TheWhiteChild were attempting to suggest that Abel's gender preferences are known.

Which I was taking exception to, as those images are the result of Amber's diseased imagination (and anyone who's talked to her knows just how diseased I'm talking about) and hence not admissible as evidence, either for or against. So far as canon images can be said, we really don't know one way or the other.

Dagardo

Now that I give it some thought, I guess I was saying as much. It seems that all I can say now is what Tapewolf did, "wishful thinking". Although I apologize again, I wasn't thinking very clearly when I was typing that. I wasn't trying to suggest anything. I guess I just assumed it was an "unseen occurrence", which I now realize that there's a great chance it wasn't. And I take back whatever I may have implied.

Mao

Hooo man.. if everything that was ever drawn of my character was true and canon (even some of the stuff drawn by me)... he'd have a hard time calling himself a monk.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Dagardo on July 27, 2009, 09:15:04 AM
Now that I give it some thought, I guess I was saying as much. It seems that all I can say now is what Tapewolf did, "wishful thinking". Although I apologize again, I wasn't thinking very clearly when I was typing that. I wasn't trying to suggest anything. I guess I just assumed it was an "unseen occurrence", which I now realize that there's a great chance it wasn't. And I take back whatever I may have implied.

Oh, I wasn't criticising. Merely suggesting that some folks might have taken it a bit far, is all.

We're all friends here, right?

Dagardo

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 27, 2009, 01:27:34 PM
Oh, I wasn't criticising. Merely suggesting that some folks might have taken it a bit far, is all.

We're all friends here, right?

OK, I'll take your word on it, although it's probably better that such conversation topics be steered clear of in the future, if just to avoid any single minded people we may encounter. By "conversation topics I of course mean anything that has to do with any characters (probably Abel's) orientation, or any such related topic.

And lets hope were all friends here, should be a lot less trouble that way.

TheDXM

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 27, 2009, 07:59:17 AM

Wishful thinking? :P

It's easy to pounce on a little fan service sometimes.

Or you can just sit back and appreciate... >:3