Advice on purchasing Mircrophone Headsets...

Started by TheJimTimMan, July 23, 2009, 10:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJimTimMan

So, I'm in the market for a new headset as the mike on my current one... fell off... a while back and the rest of the headset seems to be following suit. Due to lack of experience with these things I thought I'd ask if anyone could recommend a reasonably priced (£150 maximum) headset for gaming; possibly voice recording as well since I'm thinking of joining one the radio projects here.
My current headset is a Sennheiser PC 161, if it's of any use to anyone.

Tapewolf

I can't really speak for gaming or skype, but I recommend against using them for recording work.  It's like the difference between a dagger and a butter-knife, you can use them interchangeably but the results won't be good.

For a cheap recording mic, you might want to look into the Shure PG48 or something, and a preamp is usually a good idea too.  Something like the Behringer Mic-100 won't break the bank, you'll probably get change from £80 for both of them.
Professional/semi-pro condenser microphones like the Behringer B1 use XLR connectors and most of them want a 48v supply as well - the Mic-100 will cover you for both bases.
If you just want something that will plug straight into a desktop PC (many laptops now do not have a preamplifier!) the PG48 will do that, just be sure to get the QTR version (PG48-QTR) as it comes bundled with an XLR->jack cable.  You can then use a 1/4" -> 1/8" adaptor from Currys or even B&Q to plug it into a PC.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

The headset I have is an Altec Lansing. It's been so long since I got it that I have no idea what model it is.

A quick google search suggests AHS502, available from here for 16 quid. Cheap, but they work well, and reasonably ok, and shut out a lot of background noise, so...

As for how they record, you'd have to ask Tapewolf for a professional opinion. I think they're ok, but...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

TheJimTimMan

Thanks guys, you've been a great help. Learch, those headphones look quite the steal for the price they're being sold for, my problems there would seem to be solved for the moment. Tape, I'll investigate those mics and talk to some other people I know who know about these sorts of things, is it alright if I contact you via PM/email regarding final purchases/other possibilities?

Tapewolf

Quote from: TheJimTimMan on July 24, 2009, 07:27:43 PM
I'll investigate those mics and talk to some other people I know who know about these sorts of things, is it alright if I contact you via PM/email regarding final purchases/other possibilities?

Feel free, but bear in mind that the devices I've listed are among the only ones I have direct experience with (bar a couple of cheap no-name desktop mics).

Kenji

Cyber Acoustics has never done me wrong, really. Only time any of the things broke on me was when my kitten fell off of the furniture and I had to catch the little booger. That one time, despite having done it multiple other times, my headphones fell just the right way and snapped under the weight of the ear covers. Other than that though, they last a long time and have some good quality to em. Work just fine on skype, too.

rabid_fox

The cheaper, the better. Only posh people pretend that they can hear the difference. They say that cornflakes taste better off a silver spoon, after all.

Oh dear.

Tapewolf

Quote from: rabid_fox on July 27, 2009, 07:25:15 PM

The cheaper, the better. Only posh people pretend that they can hear the difference. They say that cornflakes taste better off a silver spoon, after all.

I suspect you're being facetious, but there is a grain of truth in that.  A £60 Chinese copy of a Neumann U87 will give a reasonable impression of its £1800 big brother (assuming you don't get one of the duff ones in the batch).  However, a £6 desktop mic or a headset is like eating cornflakes on a spoon made from turds.  You will certainly taste a difference.

A tiny desktop mic will not give you the same sound as a large-diaphragm condenser, it's simple physics.  On the other hand, you would not want to use a condenser mic on a stand for in-game chat.  Like I say, different tools for different jobs.
(I must get a headset sometime, see if I can get that overdriven 'pilot' sound)

rabid_fox

Turd spoons and scumflakes is all us feudal serfs can aspire to.

Oh dear.

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 28, 2009, 04:25:57 AM
Quote from: rabid_fox on July 27, 2009, 07:25:15 PM

I suspect you're being facetious, but there is a grain of truth in that.  A £60 Chinese copy of a Neumann U87 will give a reasonable impression of its £1800 big brother (assuming you don't get one of the duff ones in the batch).  However, a £6 desktop mic or a headset is like eating cornflakes on a spoon made from turds.  You will certainly taste a difference.

A tiny desktop mic will not give you the same sound as a large-diaphragm condenser, it's simple physics.  On the other hand, you would not want to use a condenser mic on a stand for in-game chat.  Like I say, different tools for different jobs.
(I must get a headset sometime, see if I can get that overdriven 'pilot' sound)

shoot for "bang for buck" i say.
ideally i'd look for comfort as well as audio reproduction, some cheapass headphones hurt your ears after a bit due to poor design.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 28, 2009, 04:25:57 AM

I use my condenser mic in TS/Vent all the time. Just get a $20 boom to mount it above you or off to the side. Sure, most people won't be able to tell the difference after mangling it with voice chat compression codecs, but I don't see the point of investing in an expensive headset for gaming when I already have some really good, comfy headphones and a high quality mic. As an added bonus, that setup minimizes the popping that plagues headsets.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tezkat on July 28, 2009, 02:44:16 PM
I use my condenser mic in TS/Vent all the time. Just get a $20 boom to mount it above you or off to the side. Sure, most people won't be able to tell the difference after mangling it with voice chat compression codecs, but I don't see the point of investing in an expensive headset for gaming when I already have some really good, comfy headphones and a high quality mic. As an added bonus, that setup minimizes the popping that plagues headsets.

Mmm. I didn't think I ad that much popping in mine, but I habitually hang the mic some way off to the side, rather than directly in front of my mouth.

Mind you, as you say, I got the headset to use mostly as headphones, something it does admirably well. In fact, it might even be second hand or something...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears