05/24/09 [DMFA #1006] - Ooh ooh! Pick excited!

Started by AmigaDragon, May 24, 2009, 02:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aganerral

Abel went to dump Dan's existing wardrobe and replace it with a bunch of shoulder-covering shirts :)

Buhamet

Although Dan does seem to be beaten up by women a lot, it doesn't mean they're the only people to beat him senseless............ after all, he was an adventurer, it's more than likely there were several Males who beat him senseless when he first started out other then DP

bilbo-sama

Quote from: Aganerral on May 24, 2009, 03:00:25 PM
Abel went to dump Dan's existing wardrobe and replace it with a bunch of shoulder-covering shirts :)

And just in case, new shoulder-covering dresses.   :P

Indy

Quote from: Buhamet on May 24, 2009, 03:02:16 PM
Although Dan does seem to be beaten up by women a lot, it doesn't mean they're the only people to beat him senseless............ after all, he was an adventurer, it's more than likely there were several Males who beat him senseless when he first started out other then DP

I always thought it was because he tends to give the "I won't go easy on you just because you're female!" speech instead of actually beating them up.

Or it might just be the sheer amount of violent women he surrounds himself with. All his guy-friends seem pretty harmless compared to Alexsi/Wildy/Lorenda/Aliyka and the rest.

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Indy on May 24, 2009, 06:06:29 PM
Quote from: Buhamet on May 24, 2009, 03:02:16 PM

I always thought it was because he tends to give the "I won't go easy on you just because you're female!" speech instead of actually beating them up.

Or it might just be the sheer amount of violent women he surrounds himself with. All his guy-friends seem pretty harmless compared to Alexsi/Wildy/Lorenda/Aliyka and the rest.

Though it's probable that's cause only strong/violent women can put up with his antics anyhow.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Naldru

Quote from: Garsemor on May 24, 2009, 01:59:38 PM
Just another  :ot
I just know randomly came to me that except for DP (and Abel if we count the surprise bat attack) everything else that beat up Dan was female just look at this list of times Dan got beaten up:

DP's henchmen 1 and 2: http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_879.php
DP's henchmen 3 and 4: http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_892.php

I'm not sure if I missed any.
Are you claiming that Graz (DP's henchmen 3 and 4) is a girl.  The character doesn't look girlish.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Corgatha Taldorthar

*greases palms, and then violently yanks thread in a different direction*

Let's assume for the moment that Fi's reaction is an accurate rendition of what Abel actually said. (Chancy, I realize. Fi is still less than reliable) Something startled Abel something fierce, and we see in comic number 992 that while Abel is angry at Fi, he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to go anywhere. Indeed, if he's serious about Dan's safety, he'd probably want to stay at Lost Lake Inn and provide protection.

But along in comic # 993, he somehow turns Fi into a giant and that seems to scare him. Note the tail in between his legs, and his Amberized obscenity. I'm pretty sure this is the first time we've seen Abel use an expletive in the entire run, although I'm not up to running through Abel's entire speech history at the moment.

So I want to ask, what is such a big deal with enlarging Fi that would frighten Abel so? I've got the glimmerings of a theory, but it's barely developed at this point. It's along the lines that since Warp Aci reflect their clan (I mean, look at the huge cyra symbol on Fi) it would stand to some reason that only the clan leader, or perhaps clan members can affect them in the sense of providing permanant alterations. Fi still has that Cyra symbol though, so perhaps Abel just (unwittingly) signed up for a clan that's potential dragon bait.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on May 27, 2009, 06:38:06 PM

Let's assume for the moment that Fi's reaction is an accurate rendition of what Abel actually said. (Chancy, I realize. Fi is still less than reliable) Something startled Abel something fierce...

...it would stand to some reason that only the clan leader, or perhaps clan members can affect them in the sense of providing permanant alterations. Fi still has that Cyra symbol though, so perhaps Abel just (unwittingly) signed up for a clan that's potential dragon bait.

I'm sure it would take something vastly more involved than interacting with another clan's warp aci to join that clan. What scared Abel is something to do with Fi's growth, whether he knows the cause or not. Either way he knows it's something significant, and beyond his ability to handle alone.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: AmigaDragon on May 27, 2009, 10:18:27 PM

Let's assume for the moment that Fi's reaction is an accurate rendition of what Abel actually said. (Chancy, I realize. Fi is still less than reliable) Something startled Abel something fierce...

...it would stand to some reason that only the clan leader, or perhaps clan members can affect them in the sense of providing permanent alterations. Fi still has that Cyra symbol though, so perhaps Abel just (unwittingly) signed up for a clan that's potential dragon bait.

I'm sure it would take something vastly more involved than interacting with another clan's warp aci to join that clan. What scared Abel is something to do with Fi's growth, whether he knows the cause or not. Either way he knows it's something significant, and beyond his ability to handle alone.

You're probably right. What I was trying to say (and probably doing badly) was that Abel seems to be pretty dedicated to Dan's safety. If Fi's growth is something that threatens Dan, he'd probably
A. Not allow Fi to go into Dan's room (although it might not be Fi directly that's the danger, rather something that Fi's growth will attract)
B. Go for help. The thing is, surely he has enough magic to send a message to Fa'Lina (or whomever) without having to go personally. I mean, he seems to have a significant amount of magic.

What I'm putting forward isn't that whatever happened to Fi makes things dangerous to Dan, but that whatever happened to Fi made things dangerous to Abel. Granted, that doesn't jibe well with the line that "Don't let Dan leave the inn until I get back", but on the other hand, unless there's something special about Lost Lake Inn that we peons don't know about, it's hard to see how Dan is any safer at Lost Lake than anywhere else. Indeed, there are probably people who know that he lives there, and if they wish to do him harm, that would be the first place to look.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on May 28, 2009, 11:32:54 AM
B. Go for help. The thing is, surely he has enough magic to send a message to Fa'Lina (or whomever) without having to go personally. I mean, he seems to have a significant amount of magic.

Difficult to say.  When he learned about Pyroduck, Abel went straight to Fi and asked/ordered it to tell Fa'Lina.
Why would he do that if he didn't need to use Fi?  'Course, Fi turning up at all was unplanned, so there are valid arguments on both sides.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Garsemor

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on May 28, 2009, 11:32:54 AM
Quote from: AmigaDragon on May 27, 2009, 10:18:27 PM

...it would stand to some reason that only the clan leader, or perhaps clan members can affect them in the sense of providing permanent alterations. Fi still has that Cyra symbol though, so perhaps Abel just (unwittingly) signed up for a clan that's potential dragon bait.

You're probably right. What I was trying to say (and probably doing badly) was that Abel seems to be pretty dedicated to Dan's safety. If Fi's growth is something that threatens Dan, he'd probably
A. Not allow Fi to go into Dan's room (although it might not be Fi directly that's the danger, rather something that Fi's growth will attract)

What I'm putting forward isn't that whatever happened to Fi makes things dangerous to Dan, but that whatever happened to Fi made things dangerous to Abel. Granted, that doesn't jibe well with the line that "Don't let Dan leave the inn until I get back", but on the other hand, unless there's something special about Lost Lake Inn that we peons don't know about, it's hard to see how Dan is any safer at Lost Lake than anywhere else. Indeed, there are probably people who know that he lives there, and if they wish to do him harm, that would be the first place to look.

I have to agree whit the fact that Abel didn't somehow join Cyra clan by mistake. 1) it hasn't been said anywhere that cubi can change they're clan let alon whit out they're direct approval. 2) It would most likely need the clan leader's or at least a high ranking official's approval + a small but powerful enough ritual to break the ties between they're former clans blood link and install in them the new clan's blood link. (For those who don't know what a blood link is. It's the link that taps in to the persons natural magical in games this is something identical to what you gain your MP back when you rest. But blood links are not only connected to this one person but to the whole family's blood line, in this case the clan.)

Keleth

I yelled at the neighbors dog.

It did something it wasn't supposed to do and drank Drain-ol.

I looked a little scared cuz something happened I didn't expect.
Help! I'm gay!

inuhanyo

Quote from: Garsemor on May 28, 2009, 12:01:16 PM
I have to agree whit the fact that Abel didn't somehow join Cyra clan by mistake. 1) it hasn't been said anywhere that cubi can change they're clan let alon whit out they're direct approval. 2) It would most likely need the clan leader's or at least a high ranking official's approval + a small but powerful enough ritual to break the ties between they're former clans blood link and install in them the new clan's blood link. (For those who don't know what a blood link is. It's the link that taps in to the persons natural magical in games this is something identical to what you gain your MP back when you rest. But blood links are not only connected to this one person but to the whole family's blood line, in this case the clan.)

There is an "Adoption Ritual" that can induct a Cubi in a different clan, almost always into a stronger one (what would be the point of joining a weaker clan) Ref Amber 2005 H/t Tapewolf
"Clans can be switched over through a particular marriage process or being adopted, but the ties behind it to the individual being adopted are often weaker. However any children born under that clan title would get full benefit. Meaning if Cubi A who is from a weak clan marries Cubi B who is from a L'Enfant clan. Cubi A gets more power though not as much as if they were a natural. However children from Cubi A and B will be passed onto full benefits. "

But accidentally, nah.