[Essay] Cogs in the machine...

Started by GabrielsThoughts, April 16, 2009, 04:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GabrielsThoughts

COGS IN THE MACHINE
Solutions to Common Interpersonal Conflicts in the Workplace.
By Gabriel R. Lopez

COM 434
Professor Sarah Ewing
April 23, 2009

Power, everyone wants it, and everyone has it. In any workplace setting, whether you are  an executive on the board of a multi-national corporation, or a barista at the local café, you feel subjugated to someone who is more powerful than yourself. On the contrary, a leader of many is a master of none. Unfortunately, a great many confuse authority and tyranny for leadership skills. The ultimate result of this confusion leads to mediocrity suppressing  meritocracy. In short, dividing and separating individuals into simplistic categories such as  inferior or superior  based on  subjective evidence or first impressions. There is a perverse idea that humans are  livestock that are being lead to slaughter. For centuries humans have been compared to sheep and cows. In fact,  the word Boss literally means "bovine master."   Accepting this way of thinking is a paradox that both objectifies people and weakens them, while clearly demonstrating a form of leadership that can strengthen them. For example, a shepherd protects his flock by fending off the wolves, a shepherd guides his flock to food and water, and a shepherd will go out of his way  to recover a lost sheep.

One could argue that the best leaders of all time have lead by example, or perhaps to a greater extent have lead by sharing with others their ideas, goals, and objectives. They may even inspire others to reach their potential, encourage and teach. These  leaders communicate things by sharing  their thoughts and feelings with one or many others. Some may be skeptical, some may have doubts, but a leader believes all things are possible, or at the very least knows something seems impossible and tries it anyway. A good leader does not lead by saying "Go and do it;" Rather, a good leader can influence another individual by using different strategies by either  teaching, providing example, or through coercion, authority, or power. When conflict arises, it is the result of the perception of scarce resources, people who want the same thing or who want  different things yet share the same space. Similarly, a conflict between two parties in the workplace, whether between leader and subordinate, within a coalition, or in the company of equals and rivals, stems from  feelings of inferiority or feelings of superiority. For example, one party has more power and the other does not, or both parties are equal yet one has more authority, or perhaps more experience, more education, better technology, greater power of mind etc. These real or imagined differences are potentials for conflict in the workplace, and this is why we should be open to collaborative discussions and compromise.

The following examples will show that bullying in the workplace is  actually the result of confusion between authority, experience,  and leadership. These examples were taken from personal experience, television drama, and second hand reports. Additionally, these scenarios will attempt to integrate possible solutions, if not resolutions, for common   interpersonal  conflicts in the workplace. Furthermore, conflicts arising from power, experience, expertise, manipulation and coercion, will be examined. It is also hoped that this exploration of interpersonal conflict in the workplace will help others overcome any feelings of victimization.

For my first example we'll examine an event from  my own personal experience. I once accepted a job as a student worker at a local college. It wasn't the job I had initially applied for, however I was qualified for the position and willing to work. On my first day, I was given a list of tasks to complete, starting with the task of updating three school calendars with a list events for the Multicultural Affairs office. I made sure I had back ups of most all my work on the spare jump drive I carry on my keychain, in addition to the jump drive I was provided with by the office. This was a precautionary measure, so that any work completed would not be lost or corrupted. When my supervisor went on vacation I was left, on my own,  for an entire week, with a list of tasks to complete. The list took me most of the week to complete, during which time, I created and distributed fliers, postcards, PowerPoint's, mailers, and other ephemera related to the college Multicultural Affairs office.  At that time,  my understanding  was that I was under the supervision of the Center for Learning Assistance and Support Services, and should I run out of things to do, I was to  speak with my supervisor's supervisor Dr. Bernard. My first conflict as a student worker, was an  expectation of clear guidelines before I made a mistake, rather than after. Additionally, with no recognizable training or guidance, I was in a disconfirming environment with no more experience than a mouse in the middle of  a baseball field.

Average leaders tend to jump into relationships and try to implement communication strategies without assessing their audiences receptibility or communication aptitudes. Leaders assume the responsibility to connect. They don't expect others to tune into them-they tune into others. (Murphy, 1996) While my supervisor did outline what needed to be done, there was no empathy, awareness, or involvement beyond asking a few personal questions the day before I left, and first day of my employment. She asked me what kind of music I listened too and wanted some personal information about my family, and previous employment. My employer used avoidance strategies by brushing aside my questions and comments and was too preoccupied to notice my presence or my problems. My supervisor failed to provide help or assistance when I needed it most. On one occasion I was told that I had to figure out how to, not operate, but repair the photocopier on my own. Additionally, when I asked about payment, how I was to get paid , when the payday's were, I was informed by my supervisor that that wasn't her responsibility. Rather, that it was my responsibility to find out from the other student workers. I was also not informed that I was to fill out my time sheets on the computer until the 2nd payday, apparently my supervisor transcribed the first. This problem could have been resolved had I been more vocal or curious. I could have taken an active leadership roll on my own and made a commitment to connect with my supervisor and built  stronger relationships with my fellow student workers. I could have consulted with Dr. Bernard or another supervisor for possible solutions.

In order to create Ephemera one needs access to a computer. Unfortunately, as new employee I was not granted access to the school's office computers, and so in order to  complete my work, I would have to use the student terminals down stairs or in the upstairs library while my supervisor arranged for access. I chose to use the upstairs library for two reasons. The first reason being less interruptions, reducing number of people asking me questions while  I was updating the student calendar,  and the second reason was it was a quiet workspace. I was able to complete my work in record time having completed timelines for African American, Asian American, Gay and Lesbian,  Latino/Hispanic, Women's Sufferage and  Native American cultures. The following week my supervisor returned from her vacation to find the work she and Dr. Bernard assigned mostly completed. Three days later, my supervisor went on vacation yet again, the computer problem still unresolved, and apparently was now  my responsibility. Fortunately,  Dr. Bernard provided me with a decade old, eight gigabyte, Windows 98  laptop that  allowed me limited freedom.  My second conflict was that I was not provided the necessary tools and equipment to complete my job professionally  until one month after my employment.

One solution I had was to bring my own laptop into work. Another was to use the library computers or the computers downstairs. I had to learn to be flexible and adapt the abilities I did have, to make use of software and hardware  that was both primitive and  incompatible with what I needed to use my time more  productively. Happily,  I was able to communicate my needs and was provided with a more current laptop a few weeks later.

During my supervisor's second vacation in as many weeks,  I was given another list of things to do, and this time I was informed to help out with the Upward Bound office staff should I run out of things to do. On a Wednesday afternoon of that same week I had completed the list and began assisting the upward bound program preparing paper baggies filled with goodies for an event. I was chastised by Marissa for how I stapled the "ah snap, bring it back"  labels to a handful of forms, despite the fact I was never informed "how" to attach the labels in the first place. I also pasted these same labels to brown paper baggies. On the following day I answered phones, and filled the baggies with candy, while labeling popcorn boxes.  Without the software or computers I needed to complete touch up work on a flier, I went up stairs to use the library computer to perform touch up work on a Study Abroad postcard  and continued on an assigned scouting mission to locate USB drives in bulk. I returned  twenty minutes later and then the Upward Bound program staff went to lunch. An hour and thirty minutes later a senior student worker, under the same supervisor,  returned and sent me off to lunch.  I went to the nearby park at the Henderson justice center and for the sum total of ten minutes enjoyed my lunch, until I was confronted by Mr.White. Mr. White was angry, was very gruff, and had invaded  my personal space shouting "do you care?" several times. As a student worker whom had been given no instruction before hand  as to the nature of what I was and was not allowed to do while the Upward Bound staff enjoyed their 90min lunch hour. "No, No I don't care. I'm going to get something to drink," and then I left, walking to the nearby seven-eleven. If I hadn't left I would clocked him. Being that he was in my personal space and yelling at me, for something I didn't understand at the time. Especially considering I had been relieved of phone detail by a senior student worker under the same supervisor. Whether or not the senior student worker answers the phone is  immaterial.  My third conflict was that dynamics of group behavior were not respected, wherein all members differences are respected, all members are open to discussion. It was not a work environment wherein  tolerance and forgiveness are  encouraged, while revenge and gossip are discouraged.

Not forgiving provides a readily available explanation or excuse for everything and anything that is wrong with you and your life. It's the illusion that if this hadn't happened, you'd have a perfect life. (Simon, 1990) I went home that day and I wrote out what happened. Now that I've had the opportunity to reflect, I can see that Mr. White had decided to blame me for something that wasn't my problem. I wasn't at fault in this situation, they can't hold me accountable for something that wasn't my responsibility at the time. I didn't have to help the Upward Bound staff until the following week, I chose to help them and they chose to work with me. Buying the big gulp gave me the time I needed to calm down. I returned to the office full of contempt for Mr. White.  The following day I brought my laptop to work and had absolutely nothing to do with the Upward Bound staff whatsoever. I finished up work on a discrimination poster, which I later submitted to Dr. Bernard. Once my anger had subsided, and I had written it out I actually felt a lot better and forgave the incident.   

In the weeks following this incident, I had an altercation with another student worker. At this point, my work day had ended and I had already signed out. My ride had been waiting outside for the better part of fifteen minutes, and all I was doing was waiting for the security officer to show up so I could that I could return the shiny new laptop to the charging station. With all professional honesty, I did not care what problem my fellow student worker had with me at the time, and told her if she had a problem to pull it through the chain of command. My supervisor was not her supervisor, and the absence of my supervisor, did not make her my supervisor. My supervisor, by way of proxy, had already signed me out of the office and offered to close the door. My time sheet had already been signed. It was apparent a breakdown in communication had occurred, and my responses were becoming snarky. I was angry, and I knew it. The fact that I chose to close the door after my supervisor left, does not mean that I lost the right to close the door and leave whenever I wanted too later. I put down the laptop, and it's power supply cable on the student worker's desk, in her cubicle, and left for the day. For me, respecting the chain of command is more important than who has been working there longer.  This was conflict number four. I respect experience, but I will not bow down to anyone who has no authority over me; especially if I'm not getting paid for it.

Interpersonal communication  is a type, quality, or kind of contact. It's something that happens between people, not something one person does to someone else. Most people believe communicating means simply getting your ideas across.(Stewart, 1995) I was receptive to what my fellow student worker had to say. I listened to her argument, I said okay to acknowledge her communication, and was not concerned about the offending incident. My response wasn't clear enough because she was not receiving my message.  Her view was simply that she was the communicator,  I was her audience, and my response was either inadequate or ignored. This conflict escalated because my fellow student worker viewed communication as an action, with one communicator, presenting one idea to an audience, and not open to interaction. I, on the other hand, was engaged in a transaction between myself and the other student worker. Since she wasn't listening to what I was saying, and putting on aires over how she knew everything because she had more experience as a student worker. My next response was a half playful, I respected her opinion, and I was wiling to accept her advice, but as far as I was concerned the event had happened in the past. I had already been signed out, I was waiting for the security guy so I could turn in my laptop and leave. As she continued to nag I told her that if she had a problem to pull it through the chain of command. This triggered a violent response which made her as angry as I was. I was angry as the result of confusion...Why couldn't she let it go? When is the guard going to get here? I was also thinking of things I could have done differently, such as locking the laptop in the office instead  going out of my way to return it to the charging station. What can I say to end this conversation? If I say the wrong thing I could crush her spirit. If I say the right thing I could crush her spirit. I was frustrated, so I just left the laptop in her cubicle and left. 

The following week I was scheduled to work the popcorn machine at the Wagonwheel Campus, at this point I had been working as a student worker for about 3 ½ weeks and was expecting my first paycheck. I had been passed over for the first payday as a new employee, and since it was my understanding the school didn't carry over a paycheck, it was reasonable for me to expect a paycheck on the 2nd payday or the day after. Imagine my disappointment when I received someone else's paycheck. I didn't even look when my supervisor handed it to me, I was expecting to finish the workday and head home. Of course later my supervisor apologized for giving me the wrong paycheck, and the following day I went to the downtown waters street office, to pick up the check myself. They didn't have a check for me either. Apparently there was a problem with the paperwork, and since my supervisor was away  on vacation I wasn't registered as a student worker, so I would have to wait until my third payday before I actually got paid...or so I thought. It would have been nice if my supervisor had actually told me this, instead of me going to the financial office to find out.  I was a student  worker at NSC for  seven weeks before I got my first paycheck, which was only for the work I completed up until the third payday, which had to be ordered special, since I was still not registered as a Student worker by the third payday either. I had given my two weeks notice prior to this, because I wasn't going to work and not get paid. I was upset because my supervisor was not helping me, and had informed me that I was supposed to get information related, how I was to fill out my time sheet, and when I should expect to get paid from other student workers. Which I believed was a  big load of manure. Since the other student worker under my supervisor  had been getting paid for over a year, and never had any problems getting a paycheck. While another student worker, that had been working in the school library for two months, still hadn't been paid,  and had to borrow money from a friend to keep his apartment, and feed himself. I eventually wound up contacting the school's financial office, after seven weeks of working,  to inform them if they refused to pay me I was going to contact Wage and Hour. I got my paycheck the next day, so obviously I had done something right. I was grateful to  receive my paycheck,  I still had to finish out the two weeks notice, which I did graciously. This was conflict number six, and effectively terminated any relationship I had with the college beyond education.

Every individual is continually exerting himself to find out the most advantageous employment for whatever capital he can command. It is to his own advantage...but the study of his own advantage, naturally, or rather necessarily leads him to prefer that employment which is most advantageous to the society. Every individual, therefore endeavors much as he can both to employ his capitol in support of domestic industry, and so direct that industry that its produce be of greatest value. (Smith, 1776; Grcic, 1989) People need money for goods and services, shelter and food. You cannot deny a person an agreed upon wage or salary; you cannot take the work of another, use it, display it, or reproduce it, without expecting the other person to want something in exchange. My solution was to contact the financial office, I went in person, I called on the phone, I had someone else call on the phone for me. I found out who was in charge of the financial office, I found their supervisor. I found out what I should do If I was not paid, and was ready to contact Wage and Hour. I was afraid and I was angry. There are clothing, food, rent,  and other expenses, that are required. People require money to survive, money is also a form of validation, which is something I needed, especially in a disconfirming environment where all I was given was a list of things to do and told "go and do it."

In the second season, Kyle XY episode 'Between The Rack and a Hard place.' Kyle's brother Josh is left in charge of 'The Rack' a small Seattle café in Washington. The café is then swarmed with customers and Josh has to call in reinforcements , namely his older brother Kyle and new employee Amanda, who  is also Kyle's girlfriend. There is a conflict of interest in this dynamic since Josh is responsible for Amanda and his older brother, in addition to maintaining the café. While counting out the cash register Josh discovers that there is $120 dollars missing from the till. Of course he blames new employee Amanda, and his Brother Kyle, because they were flirting in the storage room. This creates toxic triangle as Josh has to resolve a way to return the money to the cash register or loose his job. Josh takes out his anger on his brother and Amanda. However, after cooling off and apologizing, Josh calls a meeting of full disclosure to figure out who, if anyone, took the money. Amanda, immediately blames Kyle's platonic girlfriend Jessie, who until recently was a psychiatric patient, and  whom also had a history of criminal behavior. Kyle defends Jessie, which upsets his girlfriend Amanda. Fortunately, Kyle had counted the money at the beginning of the day when he handed the cash drawer to Amanda. It is soon revealed that  the $120 had been missing since the day started. This means that it's possible that Josh's supervisor stole the money. Sadly, with no way to prove his supervisor stole the money, Josh's  discovery solves nothing. Fortunately, Josh's girlfriend shows up and saves the day, apparently having earned exactly $120 scalping concert tickets. After J.T. counts the money in the cash register,  Josh confronts his boss with his suspicions, informing him that he knew what J.T. had done.

Secrets are often a factor in dysfunctional families, they may be shared with some members and not with others, thereby creating alliances and outsiders.(Lukas, 1993) By asking for full disclosure Josh created both an alliance with Amanda and Kyle, and involuntarily revealed a secondary conflict between Amanda and Kyle. It revealed that Amanda was afraid of loosing Kyle, and feeling like an outsider in the relationship between Kyle and Jessie. This is because she doesn't understand the underlying relationship between Jessie and Kyle. Kyle is protective of Jessie as a matter of discretion, but all Amanda perceives of Kyle is that he's  putting up a wall and setting aside boundaries in their relationship.   One way of resolving this conflict, according to Lukas,  would be to for both parties to clarify what roles each member in the relationship ought to be playing. This is a double imperative for the third wheel. Being the current  supervisor on staff, Josh has to maintain a stable work environment as well as maintain his familial relationship as well. Josh's open disclosure revealed that his anger was a result of fear, fear that he would be fired, fear that he would loose his job, and fear that he would be accused of stealing from the till. Josh was fortunate that his anger was directed towards family and friends, who have a greater understanding of who he is and are more forgiving of his outburst. Josh was forced to manage a crisis with no prior experience or management skills. Therefore it's safe to assume he has prior knowledge of how to manage a crisis effectively. At first Josh tried to transfer the problem from himself to Kyle and Amanda. The second thing Josh did,  was accept responsibility for the problem. Once Josh accepted responsibility for the problem, he was  then able to transform the problem. The problem changed from a game of  whodunit' into a question of  how do I fix this? When Josh's supervisor J.T. withheld information from Josh, he was stealing more than the $120 dollars he used to buy concert tickets. He took away Josh's right to the truth, and he took with him Josh's trust. I feel Josh did the right thing by confronting his supervisor about what he had done. However, I would caution against taking this action in real life unless you have a way of protecting yourself.

I've provided seven examples of interpersonal conflict in a workplace environment. I've shown how power can be used, abused, misrepresented, and mislabeled. I've provided seven examples of leadership, both flattering and unflattering. I've provided a list of solutions should you find yourself the victim of poor leadership. I would advise people to remember leaders are people too,  and make mistakes. Contempt solves nothing, if you don't have a leader become one. If you already are a leader, take advantage of this opportunity to learn from these mistakes and become a better one.

Resources
Grcic, J., Smith, A. (1989)  Moral Choices: Ethical Theories and Choices. Benefits of the    Profit Motive. Minnesota: West Publishing  pgs.373-376
Hocker, J.L., Wilmot, W.W.(2007)   Interpersonal Conflict. New York: McGraw-Hill
Lukas, S. (1993) Where To Start And What To Ask: An Assessment Handbook.
   New York: W.W. Norton & Company pgs.54-56
Murphy, E.C.(1996) Leadership IQ. New York: John Wiley & Sons pgs.59-63
Simon, S.B. , Simon, S.(1990) Forgiveness: How to make peace with your past and get    on with your life. Washington: Rational Island Publishers. Pgs. 9-57
Stewart, J. (1995) Bridges not walls: A book about Interpersonal Communication.
    New York: McGraw-Hill pgs.22-28
Wolf, F.A.(2008) Do-it-Yourself Time Travel. Colorado: Sounds True Publishing
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

rabid_fox

In other words, most people are gigantic hairy ballsacks dunked in your morning cereal - deal with it.

Oh dear.

Zina

And .....why did you post this....?

GabrielsThoughts

It's a forum open to discussion. and, I  thought as a discussion topic this one was a good idea. I thought people would have opinions, ideas and their own workplace scenarios and or cathartic disclosures. I've already submitted it, and did an in class presentation. so I don't really need feedback. I just thought it was good discussion material. additionally I thought it would be interesting opportunity to get a more world view of the workplace environment.   
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Zina

See, if you said that in your original post, that'd be great. Instead of just posting this without any explanation whatsoever.
If you would like to start a discussion, it's smart to tell people what exactly you would like to have discussed.

Cogidubnus

Who the hell put me in this machine? D:<

Sunblink

Quote from: Cogidubnus on April 17, 2009, 01:49:55 PM
Who the hell put me in this machine? D:<

My first thought upon seeing this topic was a mental image of a little gray cogwheel with yellow eyes, a black fedora, and a sword. Am I a bad person? :B

Gabriel, I'll probably see if I can go over the essay later. My AP English and Language Composition teacher has been trying to hammer basic essay skills into my head, so I guess I can see how it pays off.

Alondro

*Charles throws a monkey wrench into the machine!*  With cannibalism!   :boogie
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Lysander

My intercultural communications teacher would live you, Gabriel.   :januscat
TytajLucheek