Ow

Started by Amber Williams, March 20, 2009, 10:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber Williams

So I came in this evening from being out and as I went through the door and was taking off my coat, the sleeve snagged on the doornob causing the door itself to start swinging back. So naturally I tried to move around to catch it...thus pulling the sleeve harder and causing the door to move full tilt...right into my waiting hand.

IT WAS VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. :U

The comic is painfully delayed. Mainly cause ow.  Thankfully it seems nothing more than just upcoming bruise but when its a straight line across your hand..it makes for a lot of ouch when it comes to moving.

SORRY TO KEEP EVERYONE ON EDGE. :B

Stygian

Or could you said it was the edge that is now keeping you on?

Meh. No cause for concern, if you didn't break anything. I'm familiar with this sort of stuff, so I know how it feels. Suck it up and wait, and we'll just have to do the same.

I'd recommend tea as a treatment. It won't help with the hand, but at least it will make you feel better.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Stygian on March 20, 2009, 10:45:08 PM
Or could you said it was the edge that is now keeping you on?

Meh. No cause for concern, if you didn't break anything. I'm familiar with this sort of stuff, so I know how it feels. Suck it up and wait, and we'll just have to do the same.

I'd recommend tea as a treatment. It won't help with the hand, but at least it will make you feel better.

Or chicken soup.  That couldn't hurt....

Sorry....  >.<

But yeah, just take care of that hand until it's better, and until then we'll have to muddle through somehow.

Oh man, shut me up....  >.<

JackTheCubiWolf

something like that happened to me once i forgot something in one of my classes and as i went in the door my jacket got caught on the door, i yanked forward and the door smacked me in the back
anyway i hope you get better soon
I'm back, and tired.

tiggertoo

Ow, don't do that Amber! I relearned this lesson recently in a minivan -- I was getting into the back seat and stupidly holding onto the pillar as my friend was getting into the front seat. He slammed his door shut while I was still holding onto the pillar. Fortunately it caught me across the proximal phalanges (next to my knuckles) instead of the tips of my fingers -- still, I had bone bruises on three fingers that took a long while to fully heal.

Take care of your hand Amber -- if you're getting any swelling, be especially careful. We can wait.

Lisky

i learned of the suck of injured hands through one of my favorite spring and fall pass times... paintball... i got hit in the center of my left palm, before i started wearing gloves...  After a few minutes of ow, the center of my hand had a rather nasty welt, and it couldn't close for a few days... take care of yourself, and don't push the injury too hard...

for me, personally, nothing would be worse than finding out you hurt yourself worse due to you trying to fulfill something you perceive as an expectation i have...

anyways, hope your hand heals up soon, and good luck Amber

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Kenji

Seriously... safety bubble... get one. >.>
On a more serious note, I hope you heal soon. Hands are never something fun to injure. Especially if you're an artist. Throws off your whole way of life for a day or so at least.

mopman

Make sure you dont push yourself too soon your hands are important to you ( and to us ) and working them before they are completely healed can lead to complications.  :mowsad

" Man is the only animal that blushes - Or needs to " Mark Twain

Distracting

Ouch. If it's any consolation, I already fell down some stairs today because I didn't realize the way I was sitting cut off blood flow to my leg. It was a learning experience.

I hope your hands feel better soon!

Jairus

Ouch. That sucks. I already sprained my ankle this week while walking to a final exam, so I know what it's like to suddenly get smacked by some pain. Hope your hand feels better soon, Amber.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

LoneHowler

don't push yourself, hand injuries take a long time to heal because we tend to use it anyways even though it's hurting. take it easy and don't rush o our account
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

llearch n'n'daCorna

It's ok, Amber. Schadenfraude will make you feel better. Just watch all the descriptions of people in this thread hurting themselves. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Lowde

It's probably too late for this or you've already done it , but you should put your finger in ice, it'll help reduce the swelling (I just used google translator for this last word... so let me know if I just said something senseless)

Sunblink

A door once killed my father and raped my mother.

BEAT THAT, FORUM.

No, but seriously, feel better, Amber. c:

Corgatha Taldorthar

Having done more martial arts than is really intelligent (Is it really a self defense class once your biggest concern for physical harm is your psychotic classmates?) I've been acquainted with all the fun and joy that are hand injuries.

If nothing's broken, keep the hand a bit cold, and try to keep your hand straight. I know it hurts, but it does help you heal right. And try not to use the hand more than is absolutely necessary. Don't draw. We'll wait.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 20, 2009, 10:34:24 PM
SORRY TO KEEP EVERYONE ON EDGE. :B

Speaking purely in terms of the comic, it's not a bad place for a delay.  If it had happened when Dan was being stabbed by DP, I think there would have been much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Speaking in terms of you hand, I'd reiterate the 'don't use it' bit.  I was going to post it last night but I don't think I did as it seemed common sense, like the "I've already tried all that" with the computer mouse.

A few years ago I was in a collision with a car.  Not fun when you're on a pushbike, though obviously it could have been much, much worse.  I think the guy was over or approaching the DUI limit, personally.

Anyway, it deformed the structure of the bicycle (it had a very slight veer to the left ever afterwards) and squished the little finger on my right hand between the brake lever and the car bonnet.  It hurt like hell for a week and took about 6 months to heal, though it didn't actually seem to be fractured or anything.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Lena

*has nothing of use to add*

*pets the Amber* Hand and back injuries are the worst, since you don't realize how much you need them until they hurt.

Arroyo Milori

I hear more pain keeps the mind of the pain in other places... or just watch people getting hurt to keep your mind on the pain they have, kind of giving you goosebumps or the shivers from the sight of the pain you saw.

Or stick your hand in some snow/ice. >:3

rabid_fox

I have twinged a muscle in my left arm, thus am sitting out on the gym today. I'm so annoyingly healthy  :)

Oh dear.

AmigaDragon

One time I smashed my hand between a post and a cart load of window sash I was moving to paint. No breaks, but it hurt enough to put me in a bit of shock so I had to lay down for 10-20 minutes or so.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Draken

Ow...hand in the door hurts.  Much.  Had that happen when i was eight, with a huge backdoor (I think the door was mad of mahagony, or something like that).  Then there was the bicycle handle up the gut...and the fact that freshly mowed grass makes me near blind, and have my eyealls almost pop outta my skull....

Hope you get well soon, Miss Amber.   Don't worry about the comic, we can wait.
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Ragesquid

I've had countless injuries from doors..this only further proves my theory.

DOORS ARE OUT TO GET US. D:

Seriously, though. Hope ya' get better. Don't strain yourself. A lot of times, that only lengthens the healing process.

Arcblade

I've had that experience of slamming my hand in the car door several times.  Still haven't managed to break a bone yet.  I hear it's not much fun anyway. 

Get better soon, Amber! 

Zorro

Think foot injuries are actually worse.  You can use your other hand to hold things but you HAVE to use your feet to get from the bedroom to the bathroom and back even if you have a broken foot.

Naldru

Quote from: Zorro on March 22, 2009, 12:01:14 AM
Think foot injuries are actually worse.  You can use your other hand to hold things but you HAVE to use your feet to get from the bedroom to the bathroom and back even if you have a broken foot.

They can put a cast and brace on the foot and lower leg that will cause the forces due to standing up and walking to be passed to the knee and upper leg without pressing on the foot.  Trying to compare injured or broken arms, hands, legs, feet, ribs, etc. seem pointless.  They all hurt and my feeling is that the amount of pain depends more on the specific details of the accident.  (Some types of breaks are also more likely to cause problems in the long term.)

By the way, I heard that ice may be appropriate for the first hour, but that a heating pad is more appropriate after that.

From Amber's comments, I gather that she is feeling somewhat better, although perhaps a little stiff.  My suggestions would be:

If it hurts, don't do it.

If it just feels a little stiff, take frequent breaks.

Feel free to refer to any reader giving you unwanted advice (including myself) as an ass and an idiot.  It can really make you feel better.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

JackTheCubiWolf

Quote from: Naldru on March 22, 2009, 05:35:03 PM
Quote from: Zorro on March 22, 2009, 12:01:14 AM

They can put a cast and brace on the foot and lower leg that will cause the forces due to standing up and walking to be passed to the knee and upper leg without pressing on the foot.  Trying to compare injured or broken arms, hands, legs, feet, ribs, etc. seem pointless.  They all hurt and my feeling is that the amount of pain depends more on the specific details of the accident.  (Some types of breaks are also more likely to cause problems in the long term.)

By the way, I heard that ice may be appropriate for the first hour, but that a heating pad is more appropriate after that.

From Amber's comments, I gather that she is feeling somewhat better, although perhaps a little stiff.  My suggestions would be:

If it hurts, don't do it.

If it just feels a little stiff, take frequent breaks.

Feel free to refer to any reader giving you unwanted advice (including myself) as an ass and an idiot.  It can really make you feel better.

I'm lucky to have never felt the pain of a broken bone but I did once get part of  a toothpick stuck in my foot and get my appendix out. And follow Zorro's advice.
I'm back, and tired.

Michael Chandra

My mom once opened her car door and it bounced back due to a wire fence. A few weeks later she had the finger checked, turned out it was broken and she wasn't supposed to use it for weeks and weeks to let it recover.

But ignoring my own tales: Symphatizing ow!

Turnsky

postpone it until thursday, Amber, it's not worth straining yourself too much over it. I know that might go against the grain somewhat, but a slight hiatus in the short term would be better off than a hiatus for the long term.  :3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

icarus

madam, wouldst thou like some filler?

i have time this week since i just realized my research paper was due on april 23rd, not march 23rd.

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

inuhanyo

Quote from: Turnsky on March 23, 2009, 02:30:53 AM
postpone it until thursday, Amber, it's not worth straining yourself too much over it. I know that might go against the grain somewhat, but a slight hiatus in the short term would be better off than a hiatus for the long term.  :3

Amen to that.