Project Future Radio Show: Announcement

Started by Jairus, February 21, 2009, 08:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 14, 2009, 08:06:50 PM
QuoteOn the other hand, yay, we have a goal: get James' character introduced within seven years! How hard could that be?
Quite easy if I hand you the scripts - then you can record a whole chapter at once  :P
"The Project Future Radio Show has just released it's fortieth chapter! Meanwhile, Project Future is on its twelfth."

I apologize for that. True, though, the scripts would work, but wouldn't that be spoiling things for those who - like me - don't know what's coming up?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on March 14, 2009, 08:12:20 PM
I apologize for that. True, though, the scripts would work, but wouldn't that be spoiling things for those who - like me - don't know what's coming up?

And this is why I haven't actually given them over  :P
Also, I have tended to edit the dialogue a bit to fit the strips, made last minute improvements and so on.

**EDIT**

For future reference, the Radio Project people may wish to know that in panel 3 of page 55, Niall has called the base PA system since Daryil isn't wearing a watch.  Hence there will probably be some echo and a little bit of clipping on the voice.  Also, the extra speaker in panel 6 is Ashley.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

GabrielsThoughts

purple hair?... I mean uh, I still want to participate.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Jairus

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on March 15, 2009, 12:58:15 AM
Not a problem, I'll just add you to the player's list.

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on March 15, 2009, 12:58:15 AM

See this thread:
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,5770.msg269097.html#msg269097

I was 90% sure llearch would give me purple hair by morning.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2009, 03:56:09 AM
I was 90% sure llearch would give me purple hair by morning.

Nuts. I hate being predictable.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jairus

Just a quick announcement to not only announce Boxy as our current Joshua, but that this project is still on. Hopefully, we hope to have something up at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on April 01, 2009, 05:27:20 PM
Just a quick announcement to not only announce Boxy as our current Joshua, but that this project is still on. Hopefully, we hope to have something up at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Sweet.  I was going to ask how you were doing there.  Let me know if you need me to run up some generic wind sound effects or something.

AmigaDragon

"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on April 07, 2009, 11:05:15 AM
You gonna blow on the mic? :B

I used this:  http://www.vintagesynth.com/waldorf/pulse.php

If I remember correctly, the patch I created uses a white noise source and the filter resonance turned up so it goes into self-oscillation.  From there I just play around with the cutoff frequency and it gives you a reasonably good howling gale.    I've done this on "Warrior for Hire" (strip 144),  "Recipe for disasters" (strip 306), and at the end of "Project Dragonsong" on my "Mythical Creatures Exhibition" album.

I suspect this is what the Radiophonic Workshop used to do in the 70s.

shadowterm

If any openings pop up, I'd love to know.
/)//w//(\

Raiettei

Drop me a line if I can be nudged in somewhere.

Translation:

If an opening presents itself, I'd love to help!

GabrielsThoughts

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

James StarRunner

No pokemon allowed in Lost Lake! Especially Ditto!

*gets Alexi's mallet* :3

Tezkat

It's been a bit quiet around here, so I figured I'd post a few clips of the kitties. :kittycool

Here's Panther L-TRK from Chapter 2.

I finally opted for less of a Stephen Hawking thing and more of a soft, "I'm sorry Dave..." delivery. You can make him sound even more robotic with filters and such. Here's a version with a bit of flanger added.

And here's his big bro, from the same scene.

Yeah. He's a panther. He's big. He's black. We get it. But it's a super fun voice to do. >:]

Apart from the flanger, those are otherwise raw clips. Could probably use at least some compression and EQ...

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Zedd

I might try Dayril if Tezkat and Tape don't mind...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on May 23, 2009, 03:45:51 AM
It's been a bit quiet around here, so I figured I'd post a few clips of the kitties. :kittycool

Apart from the flanger, those are otherwise raw clips. Could probably use at least some compression and EQ...

I may do the final assembly myself if Pagan sends me the project.  It's easier to add those effects with a multitrack system than in Audacity IME.  Either that or we investigate using Traverso instead of Audacity as a full-fledged DAW.
I haven't tried it, but it looks promising.  Most importantly it will run on the Holy Trinity (Windows, Linux, MacOS)

By the way, what flanger did you use for that?  It worked very well.

Quote from: Zedd on May 23, 2009, 04:30:16 AM

As I understand it, llearch is looking at that role.  I thought Tezkat would make a good Joshua, but apparently he's a bit pressed for time for such a big role - though Joshua tends to be more of a background character after chapter 11.  I dunno what the latest is there, but if I have any say in the matter I'd prefer to have a good actor who can do a good English accent.

Either way, this comic has no shortage of male characters owing to my relative inability to create decent female ones.

EDIT:
At the end of the day, you're quite welcome to give Daryil a try - no promises that it'll be used, though.

llearch n'n'daCorna

As Tapewolf says, you're welcome to try out for it. After all, I might not get a chance to record anything for it for a while - I have a few other calls on my time, particularly at present.

In other words, if you get tapped, I shall applaud for you. If you don't, in favour of me, I shall commiserate with you. Either way, no offence will be taken. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 23, 2009, 06:45:10 AM
By the way, what flanger did you use for that?  It worked very well.

DJ Flanger on default settings (LFO sync 1, LFO period 1s, LFO depth 4ms, Feedback 0%). It sounded okay, so I didn't bother with further fiddling. I had a bunch of fun presets for robot voices on my box at home, but I couldn't remember what they were. :animesweat

As I understand it, llearch is looking at that role.  I thought Tezkat would make a good Joshua, but apparently he's a bit pressed for time for such a big role - though Joshua tends to be more of a background character after chapter 11.  I dunno what the latest is there, but if I have any say in the matter I'd prefer to have a good actor who can do a good English accent.

I've recorded lines from Chapter 1 to demo for Josh, but I don't know how they turned out yet. I couldn't make him work in a manly man James Bond voice. He spends even more time doing the :dface face than Jyrras does. :animesweat I did do a bunch in a Sean Connery voice for the lulz, but that's probably just outtake fodder. :3

Essentially, what I explained to Jairus is that I'm out of town for about 3/4 of the month until early fall. So... no sexy condenser mic, no pretty recording box, no pro audio software. I'd almost certainly become the project bottleneck in a major role. Josh has a lot of lines in the first ten chapters before he fades into the background. Daryil, on the othe hand, is the other way around. He's only got little snippets of dialogue until his coming out party, which is way down the line when I'll presumably be more settled.

What I've been doing is letting stuff queue up and then sitting down for an hour or two a month to record all of it in one go when I have access to my gear--but not actually doing any review or editing. I just do a quick DNR pass and dump it on a portable HD for fixing up to post later. In Audacity, mind you. I don't have Audition on my laptop, so I'm missing all my nice custom presets. I've also yet to find a free dynamics plugin with the kind of functionality that Audition's offers.

The R-MAC recording could use a little filtering, I think. Needs a bit more weight...

Quote from: Zedd on May 23, 2009, 04:30:16 AM

More options wouldn't be a bad thing. Neither llearch nor I even have auditions up yet... :animesweat

Zedd

http://rapidshare.com/files/236525037/Lord_D.wav.html I did only a few lines..Don't mind the buzzing it's the computer fan and the only mic I have now is a USB kind now...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Zedd on May 23, 2009, 09:13:09 PM
http://rapidshare.com/files/236525037/Lord_D.wav.html I did only a few lines..Don't mind the buzzing it's the computer fan and the only mic I have now is a USB kind now...

This is also USB mic:
http://www.dv247.com/invt/37506/

...anyway.  There are a number of popping and breathing sounds in the recording as presented.  As for the voice... it could come in handy, but it doesn't sound like Daryil to me.  I imagine him being higher pitched myself.

Zedd

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 24, 2009, 06:23:55 AM
Quote from: Zedd on May 23, 2009, 09:13:09 PM

This is also USB mic:
http://www.dv247.com/invt/37506/

...anyway.  There are a number of popping and breathing sounds in the recording as presented.  As for the voice... it could come in handy, but it doesn't sound like Daryil to me.  I imagine him being higher pitched myself.

I could change the tone...Just give me a minute

And this is my mic http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2811419

Edit: Update! http://rapidshare.com/files/236657243/Lord_D_2.wav.html Hope this tone is better

Tezkat

The fan noise can be digitally removed without impacting quality too much, but the breath noises are still a problem. That's something you need to address with better recording technique.

A simple solution involves angling the mic away from you slightly. That way, you're talking across it rather than into it, and the bursts of air don't hit it directly.

It also helps to dissipate the air before it hits the mic. Holding a pencil or index finger up about an inch from your mouth can make a noticeable difference. If you're feeling more adventurous, try wrapping some pantyhose around a coat hanger and talking through that. (We call that a "pop filter". Pros use the same thing--only with a more expensive coat hanger. :3)

Zedd

Tez I wish I could but really I said before my mic is a clip on and I can't do much with it..And if I move it farther away..It's too quiet

Tezkat

Clipped on to what though? Unless it's attached to your face like a headset mic, none of my suggestions would be significantly hampered by that style of microphone. For that matter, the finger/pencil trick even works with some headsets. If you can't reposition the mic (e.g. because it's attached to your monitor), then reposition your head instead instead...

Basically, you need to find a way to record such that the air from your mouth isn't blowing directly on the mic, because that's what causes the popping. Pops are very difficult to remove from our end, and they were fairly prominent in your recordings.

A more challenging alternative is to alter your vocalization style to generate less air puffs. That's more difficult and takes a bit of practice. Essentially, you learn how to make your P's slightly more like B's and similar techniques to reduce the impact of plosives.

Zedd

It clips to my shirt but I can't put it anywhere else

Tezkat

How are you getting breath noises with it clipped to your shirt? Are you talking down into it?

Zedd

Quote from: Tezkat on May 24, 2009, 05:54:56 PM

How are you getting breath noises with it clipped to your shirt? Are you talking down into it?

You wont hear me at alll if I don't

Tezkat

Hmm... that does present a challenge, doesn't it? Is there a particular reason you can't set it up anywhere else? You'd probably have more control if you just laid it on a table and talked over it...

GabrielsThoughts