Project Future Radio Show: Announcement

Started by Jairus, February 21, 2009, 08:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on February 26, 2009, 08:45:58 PM
Also, Tape, I was wondering if you could play the narrator. You or Ren. I think it would be appropriate.

I'd love to find out what Ren sounds like, but to be honest, I probably have the better setup for doing narration (the 'Secrets of Morrowind' series for instance, was rather well-received).  Note that it will probably sound like most other characters I play, though.

Quote from: Jairus on February 26, 2009, 08:45:58 PM
Let me make this perfectly clear. I love advice. I love hearing ideas like that. I have no idea what I'm doing right now, and I am gradually figuring this out. In short, if you have advice Tape, speak up. Thank you.
If you look far enough back into the archives, there was a time (Jan 2006?) when Amber pitched in on the DMFA Radio Project, and suggested that we replace some of the cast members.  That nearly broke the project, and I'm well aware that the same thing may happen here if I try to (or even appear to) overrule the guy who is truly in charge of it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

The question I have to ask is... Do you feel lucky, punk?

Well, do ya? ;-]

ok, ok. Do you see any space for me in this, or not?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 27, 2009, 12:21:46 PM

I don't know what Jay is intending, whether to do the first arc as a single unit and then concentrate on the second, but as far as I can see, the role of Mayor Tiandrial is still open.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 27, 2009, 12:27:20 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 27, 2009, 12:21:46 PM

I don't know what Jay is intending, whether to do the first arc as a single unit and then concentrate on the second, but as far as I can see, the role of Mayor Tiandrial is still open.
I was thinking we'd try to get through them a strip at a time, and then organize them into the chapters as we get through them. Sort of like how DMFA is going. If we do it as strips, it'll probably be easier to go in and fix them up.

*goes to add Boxy and his new part to the front page*
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on February 27, 2009, 12:34:45 PM
I was thinking we'd try to get through them a strip at a time, and then organize them into the chapters as we get through them. Sort of like how DMFA is going. If we do it as strips, it'll probably be easier to go in and fix them up.

Well, the DMFA radio project doesn't really have a fixed schedule... I'll be honest, a lot of the time it's been more "Ooh, that's cool, let's do that one!", particularly when I get score in my head.  Notable example of this are Albanion, Abel's return home after the battle, and Dan going evil in the latest set.
Things are a bit more organised when a full production is scheduled, though, which I'm hoping to ramp up to over the next few months.  That will hinge on getting more voices from Mystiqe and James, though.

Quote*goes to add Boxy and his new part to the front page*
Don't be too hasty - he might not want to play the mayor  :P

llearch n'n'daCorna

He asked. I'm ambivalent, but can provide short parts, so meh.

Besides, how can you resist it when you're offered "Mayor Tiandrial. And probably any other despots we need." ? ;-]

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 27, 2009, 06:42:00 PM
He asked. I'm ambivalent, but can provide short parts, so meh.

Besides, how can you resist it when you're offered "Mayor Tiandrial. And probably any other despots we need." ?
Shocking thing, you can turn me down. I'm not trying to make you uncomfortable, Boxy.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Jairus on February 27, 2009, 06:53:40 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 27, 2009, 06:42:00 PM
Besides, how can you resist it when you're offered "Mayor Tiandrial. And probably any other despots we need." ?
Shocking thing, you can turn me down. I'm not trying to make you uncomfortable, Boxy.

Dammit. I missed something. *edits*

Edit:
There. Much better. *grin*

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 27, 2009, 05:30:46 AM
If you look far enough back into the archives, there was a time (Jan 2006?) when Amber pitched in on the DMFA Radio Project, and suggested that we replace some of the cast members.  That nearly broke the project, and I'm well aware that the same thing may happen here if I try to (or even appear to) overrule the guy who is truly in charge of it.

Hmm... that's not how quite I remember it. Amber mentioned the Radio Project in a rant which featured some choice criticism of my Jyrras portrayal. >:] That lead to a forum discussion about how the voices in the project sounded nothing like the voices in her head. Then the project, which up until that point had been operating on a first come, first served basis with respect to roles, finally opened up for auditions. Which didn't go anywhere. Amber wished us well but declared that she wanted nothing to do with the project. And then everything returned to business as usual. :animesweat

That experience doesn't necessarily translate to this one. The original creator of the intellectual property (i.e. you) is involved from the outset, lending this project a legitimacy that the DMFA RP is never going to have. Like it or not, that also means that we'll be looking to you for guidance on how the characters should act and sound, even though Jairus is in charge of production. The project director may have final say, but creator input usually makes adapted works better, not worse.

On an unrelated matter... How the heck do you pronounce "Daryil"?

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on March 01, 2009, 06:46:07 PM
Hmm... that's not how quite I remember it. Amber mentioned the Radio Project in a rant which featured some choice criticism of my Jyrras portrayal. >:] That lead to a forum discussion about how the voices in the project sounded nothing like the voices in her head. Then the project, which up until that point had been operating on a first come, first served basis with respect to roles, finally opened up for auditions. Which didn't go anywhere. Amber wished us well but declared that she wanted nothing to do with the project. And then everything returned to business as usual. :animesweat

Maybe I am misremembering/misinterpreting it.  What I took away from that experience was that we almost lost one of our most talented actors because Amber didn't like his rendition of Jyrras  :P

QuoteThat experience doesn't necessarily translate to this one. The original creator of the intellectual property (i.e. you) is involved from the outset, lending this project a legitimacy that the DMFA RP is never going to have. Like it or not, that also means that we'll be looking to you for guidance on how the characters should act and sound, even though Jairus is in charge of production. The project director may have final say, but creator input usually makes adapted works better, not worse.

Yes, I don't have a problem with that - I just don't want to end up taking the thing over by proxy, that's all.

QuoteOn an unrelated matter... How the heck do you pronounce "Daryil"?

Da-Rill.  Where 'Da' is pronounced as in 'Dalmatian' or 'Daniel'.  I think there's only one way to pronounce 'Rill'...

In other news, I'll announcing a new strip very soon.

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: Tezkat on March 01, 2009, 06:46:07 PM

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 27, 2009, 05:30:46 AM

That experience doesn't necessarily translate to this one. The original creator of the intellectual property (i.e. you) is involved from the outset, lending this project a legitimacy that the DMFA RP is never going to have. Like it or not, that also means that we'll be looking to you for guidance on how the characters should act and sound, even though Jairus is in charge of production. The project director may have final say, but creator input usually makes adapted works better, not worse.

On an unrelated matter... How the heck do you pronounce "Daryil"?

I got news for you no one's voices for the characters sound the same as they do in your head.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on March 03, 2009, 01:27:02 PM
I got news for you no one's voices for the characters sound the same as they do in your head.
I think Tezkat knows that.

Jairus

Apologies for the relative silence in this thread, but real life has taken precedence for the next week or so. How dare it? I'll just post something random to keep the thread alive. Good gods is it already the 10th?

At this point, the following parts are still not called for...
Narrator
Joshua Oswald - British dialect, a bit like James Bond
Kristofer Ausmann - possibly slight Scandinavian accent or German accent
Oskar van Erikson*
Lord Page - has a certain nobility to him, occasionally lapses and sounds like a hippy, except when he plays the Dark Master
Dorcan Ja'Fell - British dialect
Ashley Daryil*

I'll try to spread the parts around over the next two weeks, but no promises that RL won't come down on me and make me temporarily forget this thread.

And Amber, if you drop by I'm still waiting for your word on whether you're up to play Kirian.

Cogidubnus

If nobody has dibs on Lord Page, I think I'd like to give it a shot.

Brunhidden

well if im going for oskar you can have lord page, although now i wonder why oskar has an asterisk after it
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brunhidden on March 10, 2009, 03:04:54 PM
well if im going for oskar you can have lord page, although now i wonder why oskar has an asterisk after it

Probably indicates it's ganged with Ashley.

Jairus

Apologies, I forgot to copy this from the previous page (and remove Nilson)

"* Oskar/Ashley and Niall/Nilson will likely end up having the same voice actor for each pair."

So, whoever voices Oksar will likely also voice Ashley. Tape, meanwhile will probably end up voicing Nilson in addition to Niall.

Okay, I'll add you guys to our list of players and what parts you've got.

EDIT:
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 10, 2009, 03:12:41 PM

Bingo.
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 10, 2009, 03:12:41 PM

Tapewolf

Out of interest, what's the plan for dealing with 'Evil Azrael'?  Same voice with processing?

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 10, 2009, 03:32:49 PM
Out of interest, what's the plan for dealing with 'Evil Azrael'?  Same voice with processing?
Yeah, the traditional slight echo effect and deepening of the voice. Nothing as low as Evil!Albanion, but something similar. Maybe Azzy will summon some thunder effects to mark his dark triumphant entry. Oh, and an evil laugh. Gotta have one of those. But he already does. Yay!

Brunhidden

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on March 10, 2009, 03:41:22 PM
Yeah, the traditional slight echo effect and deepening of the voice. Nothing as low as Evil!Albanion, but something similar. Maybe Azzy will summon some thunder effects to mark his dark triumphant entry. Oh, and an evil laugh. Gotta have one of those. But he already does. Yay!

Specifically I was thinking of the communicator, as opposed to the resurrection itself.  But yes, slowing him down and adding a slight reverse echo would probably do the job.  I'd be curious to know what Cog sounds like evil.

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 10, 2009, 03:56:40 PM

Specifically I was thinking of the communicator, as opposed to the resurrection itself.  But yes, slowing him down and adding a slight reverse echo would probably do the job.  I'd be curious to know what Cog sounds like evil.

I do believe I tried out for Aniz awhile back. You'd still have the recordings at home, I imagine. >:3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cogidubnus on March 10, 2009, 04:02:00 PM
I do believe I tried out for Aniz awhile back. You'd still have the recordings at home, I imagine. >:3

Found it on the mac - I'll have to move it over to the main machine.  Very slick and bitter sounding... I think you'd do it pretty well.   The recording did have a lot of popping problems, but that can be overcome.

Brunhidden

so after cogi and i pick does that leave much of a challenge to fill the remaining roles?

James StarRunner

Well, I haven't shown up yet, but I will at some point. I'll voice myself.

Jairus

Quote from: James StarRunner on March 14, 2009, 07:50:18 PM
Well, I haven't shown up yet, but I will at some point. I'll voice myself.
Well, in the meantime, I'm sure you can voice someone else. Anyone you're interested in?

Tapewolf

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 14, 2009, 07:55:42 PM
Quote from: James StarRunner on March 14, 2009, 07:50:18 PM
Well, I haven't shown up yet, but I will at some point.
In about 7 years  :<
If you did slightly shorter strips, you guys could probably update twice a week or something like that. On the other hand, yay, we have a goal: get James' character introduced within seven years! How hard could that be?

James StarRunner

You guys don't have to rush for my sake. I'd be half tempted doing other roles right now, but it may be selfish of me since I haven't caught up on the other characters I voice (mostly Dan).

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on March 14, 2009, 07:58:04 PM
If you did slightly shorter strips, you guys could probably update twice a week or something like that.
What we're effectively doing is three DMFA updates, but combined into in a single page instead of three.  I originally wanted to do two such updates a week, but it soon became apparent that Ren wouldn't easily be able to do that.

QuoteOn the other hand, yay, we have a goal: get James' character introduced within seven years! How hard could that be?
Quite easy if I hand you the scripts - then you can record a whole chapter at once  :P

Quote from: James StarRunner on March 14, 2009, 08:01:47 PM
You guys don't have to rush for my sake. I'd be half tempted doing other roles right now, but it may be selfish of me since I haven't caught up on the other characters I voice (mostly Dan).
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to hearing your take on the Regina speech...