Troll trolly troll troll...(Weekly game podcast #2)

Started by Amber Williams, February 15, 2009, 06:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valynth

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on February 17, 2009, 10:28:17 PM
My question is: how do you broadcast on a computer what you play on a console?

Hook up the outgoing video/audio ports of the console to the computer's in ports and the out ports of the computer to the in ports of the T.V.

Then, it's just a matter of having the software.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Reese Tora

Quote from: Valynth on February 17, 2009, 10:50:47 PM

Hook up the outgoing video/audio ports of the console to the computer's in ports and the out ports of the computer to the in ports of the T.V.

At that point, who needs a TV?

If you have a video capture card on your computer, it'll usually come with software that'll allow you to view what's coming in on the input, and that may well include a record function.  (my ATI all in wonder card I had in my first computer came with such, I used the card to play my PS1 using my compuer monitor, and alt-tab for gameFAQs :rolleyes )
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Valynth

Quote from: Reese Tora on February 18, 2009, 02:56:42 AM

At that point, who needs a TV?

...Kinda figured he'd want to, you know, see what he's doing durring the live broadcast.  After all, monitors and TV's are virtually interchangable, especially in terms of console gaming.

In short, TV's=montiors with more buttons.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Turnsky

if you thought dead space gave nightmares, stay away from Condemned 2.

Bear. :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

AmigaDragon

Hook up the outgoing video/audio ports of the console to the computer's in ports...

That assumes your computer has a video capture input, not all do yet. another (poorer quality) option I've seen is to aim a webcam at the TV screen.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Balade

The current setup i'm using, I used some of these devices because they were already available, rather than spend more money.

Hardware:
Honestech My Vidbox
http://www.honestech.com/main/news_view_new.asp?id=87

Rolls MX56C Mini Mix AV Mixer
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-RLL-MX56C-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

4 Way Composite + S-Video Audio/Video Distribution Amplifier
http://www.jaykang.com/4waycosaudia.html

Headsets

Matrix Pro Wireless Lavalier Clip-on Microphone
http://www.shoptronix.com/Matrix-Pro-Wireless-Lavalier-Clipon-Microphone/M/B0002KR7EU.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

Software:
Flash Media Encoder 2.5
For sessions with multiple people talking I use the stereo line  on the mixer to pull audio directly from the headphone out of my computer. unfortunately the people in skype with me can't really hear any of the game audio, i'm hoping to sort something out for this eventually because it does get kind of inconvenient when people talk over important plot related dialogue, but then again i have no idea if you guys even care about plot related dialogue. Let me know!

Aside from sessions with multiple people I have a wireless lavalier microphone that I use when it's just me doing the webcast. FME has 2 encoders for video available, I have to use the VP6(?) encoder because whenever I use the h.264 encoder the video doesn't show up in the archives. 30 FPS, 500 Bit rate 5 second max buffer. Pretty much the basic settings of the webcast, I'm still working on how to improve the lag, quality, and skips in the video/audio.

Suprised me to see how expensive the wires needed to connect everything was, I need 2 sets of wires going between the channel distributor to the My Vidbox and the TV itself, then the audio goes through the mixer before the distributor the video would probably be better quality if I doled out for a capture device that accepts HDMI, but with the PS3's setup i'd need a tv that would accept that too...and a new AV distributor... In anycase,  figure over time we'll figure out how to do better with the webcast and once Val and I get our own home sorted out we'll be able to set things up to be easily accessible. At somepoint soon we'll also webcast some Wii games.....maybe

Sooner or later I'll get around to posting the list of games we have available for both systems.

JAVGW 002 - Isaac Vs The Orciful 1/23
http://www.justin.tv/clip/eef2134258b7843f

Naldru

My Sony digital VCR can also be used as a video capture device.  It has a Firewire connection that goes to the computer and  composite video and stereo video cables that go to the cable converter, game console, or other related device.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Sukasa

I use a Happauge WinTV USB2 on Vista SP1.  Took a bit of fiddling (officially it doesn't run on Vista) but it works well, plus it's older so it's pretty cheap.  It works as a webcam too, so anything that can use a webcam can use the WinTV.  And yeah, it's USB.  Great, except that you have to connect audio through your soundcard rather than the winTV.