Thread management - request for comments

Started by Tapewolf, February 06, 2009, 05:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Chapter 7 starts this evening.  What I've been doing so far is to group the discussions into per-chapter threads.  That works fine when the traffic is fairly low, but lately it's been increasing significantly.

I'm wondering whether we have a critical mass of people such that I can take a back seat and let people create the threads themselves, one per strip as is the case with DMFA and most of the others.  (Notably, Last Resort tried to enforce the chapter model, only to have the posters ignore it and create threads per page anyway).
It wasn't really my desire to micromanage the thing in the first place anyway, it's just how it turned out.

The flipside is that I've been posting alerts when the comic updates - I might, as a compromise create a locked, pinned information thread which notifies that the comic's due etc.  Or heck, I might look into RSS.

Any comments?  Suggestions?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kipiru

I'm all for the idea, locked info thread and all. In a worst case scenario you will have to start posts for the pages yourself for the duration of this chapter and that isn't so bad.

Ren Gaulen

I like the idea too. I think we should go for it. :]

llearch n'n'daCorna

RSS is trivial, but is a solution for different viewers.

I mean, I _could_ go get RSS and use that to watch all the comics I read, but it'd make life really interesting to set it up, and it'd mean I don't load all the adverts. And since the adverts are really what pays the day-to-day bills, I'd feel wrong about doing it some other way.

... and opening 300 links on a daily basis from an RSS is probably not going to fly, either.

Which means I tend to watch the forum here for updates, for this specific comic. I could park it into the appropriate list, and then go have a look on a regular basis, I spose...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Sounds like switching to an update thread is the way to go, then.  I guess we'll see what happens...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E