Did Amber Give Us Foreshadowing... Or Did She Just Forget?

Started by Elieana, January 16, 2009, 03:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elieana

I was looking through the old comics... OLD OLD comics... and I found this little sucker - http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_078.php

Now, my question is - Did Amber put this in here as foreshadowing? Or did she just plain forget she had this when she did the whole "Dan forgot who his mom was" and "Destania works for Biggs in Twinks Territory"?

llearch n'n'daCorna

The early strips, as I understand it, are semi-canon; back when it was just a joke strip. Some of the details are still valid, some are not. For example, the pokemon stuff is probably not canon, and almost certainly won't be revisited, since it's copyright.

Amber does, however, tend to refer back to previous strips at times; the "Destania working for Biggs" is, as I understand it, a clear reference back to "Mom works in Twink Territories", and was done deliberately.

That's not to say there isn't "ewps, I forgot" moments; just that they're not as common as you might think.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Howl

I have to ask though, when did it start getting completely canon?

llearch n'n'daCorna

"When it seems suitable", I think.

The early stuff is, as I understand it, "sort of canon". Take that with a grain of salt, and think about it.

Kipiru

Not that I'm any kind of a DMFA expert, but the strip started becoming what it is today at the point where the characters went to Twink territory for the first time. If I remember correctly it was after the whole comic was stopped for about a year. Then Amber came back with a new style and soon after in color. It was kind of a rebirth for DMFA.

Pagan

Didn't Amber once say that the more "obvious plotholes" were actually going to fit into the canon, but that there were actual plotholes from the old comics yet people seemed to miss them? I think she said that.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Kipiru on January 16, 2009, 08:16:13 AM
Not that I'm any kind of a DMFA expert, but the strip started becoming what it is today at the point where the characters went to Twink territory for the first time. If I remember correctly it was after the whole comic was stopped for about a year. Then Amber came back with a new style and soon after in color. It was kind of a rebirth for DMFA.
#63 came before the twinks, so you can roll back at least to the beach ark
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

AmigaDragon

There are some, like What Makes a Comic Great, that you can consider less canon than most, if not completely non-canon.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

icarus

i actually asked amber this before, and what llearch said is basicly what she said to me.

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Amber Williams

I will take full credit for anything that makes it seem like I am smarter than I actually am. :U

Jairus

That works for me, Amber. Brilliant foreshadowing!

So... does this mean Linda Crafts is a major character in an upcoming "virtual world" arc, where the cast all get trapped in a video game? Or is she going to turn out to be played by one of Jy's old crushes? Or is she based on the adventures of a real-life person?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Lowde

Quote from: Jairus on January 18, 2009, 10:05:15 PM
That works for me, Amber. Brilliant foreshadowing!

So... does this mean Linda Crafts is a major character in an upcoming "virtual world" arc, where the cast all get trapped in a video game? Or is she going to turn out to be played by one of Jy's old crushes? Or is she based on the adventures of a real-life person?

You really want that character to pop up in the comic, don't you?

btw... curse you Eliana for doing something from my "to do someday before I die" list... curse you!!

Jairus

Quote from: Lowde on January 19, 2009, 03:42:01 AM
Quote from: Jairus on January 18, 2009, 10:05:15 PM

You really want that character to pop up in the comic, don't you?

You do know that I'm joking, right? I'm not serious about any of those suggestions.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Lowde

Quote from: Jairus on January 19, 2009, 03:46:52 AMYou do know that I'm joking, right? I'm not serious about any of those suggestions.

I refuse to answer without my lawyer present

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: icarus on January 18, 2009, 09:34:27 PM
i actually asked amber this before, and what llearch said is basicly what she said to me.

Where did you think I got my information? ;-]

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 18, 2009, 09:49:48 PM
I will take full credit for anything that makes it seem like I am smarter than I actually am. :U

Bravo! Masterfully done! Superb foreshadowing! My English IV AP teacher would be so proud if you were one of her students! *sucks up some more to try to get Abel's Story updated*

Elieana

Quote from: Lowde on January 19, 2009, 03:42:01 AM
btw... curse you Eliana for doing something from my "to do someday before I die" list... curse you!!

That's just how I roll :3