Furrae Chronicles: Webs of Destiny (OOC) [M] {2} - Closed

Started by Gareeku, July 12, 2006, 01:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareeku

Mind reading would normally fall under the category of telekinesis. Though in Furrae, it may fall under magic. I'm not sure.

JP: No offence man, but the bit where he could smell the gunpowder in the rounds of the gun kind of irked me a bit. I know Jakob is a wolf and all, but that seems a bit far-fetched.

Gabi

Telekinesis? Isn't that moving objects with your mind? Mind reading would be telepathy. but I was asking about Furrae, for future reference which may or may not be useful someday.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Netami

That was a question we brought up earlier in my old RP. Psychic power versus magical power. Telepathy, telekenesis... these things are typically attributed to the mind's power and not so much magic (though there are magical effects that can do the same thing), so mind reading could be either or.

I think it has to do with source, personally. You can use mental powers or magical powers to acheieve the same goal. A cubi would probably be using magical means to achieve that, but it is ultimately up to Amber to say.

Amber may not even have such a thing as psychic power in Furrae, it may all be classified as magic, drawing from an inner magical pool of power like mana instead of the mind's vast, mysterious power. I relate to my old RP story in that, for the party to take down a rabid cubi that had taken over a mine, we employed a psychic mythos that fed off mental energies. But THAT would suggest that cubi's affinity for emotions (empathy not necessarily related to psychic powers) is a mental thing and not an inner "soul" thing.

Also not that I don't mean Phoenix' or Bon's ability to foresee the future when I mention Psychic, either.

Woo that's a lot of garbage.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gareeku on August 01, 2006, 04:58:21 PM
JP: No offence man, but the bit where he could smell the gunpowder in the rounds of the gun kind of irked me a bit. I know Jakob is a wolf and all, but that seems a bit far-fetched.

None taken - that's why I was seeking feedback.
Now, one wolf can scent another wolf entering their territory from up to about 1km away, but in Furrae things are packed together far more tightly, so in spite of the muzzle wolf-morphs are likely to have a much less acute sense smell - which would also prevent him from being able to scent Paladin and giving the game away too soon.
(Having said that I have to admit that it was Gabi's mention of smell which set me off on that track :twisted )

I haven't included the smell-the-rounds in the main text anyway, so an alternative explanation is that his subconscious has simply gone through all the possible reasons someone might be lurking in a tree and hit on the most paranoid, assisted by the fact that he fell asleep listening to Child In Time.

But I stand by the assertion that a 'cubi would be able to detect Arc's cloaked mind in a tree.  If he took up the position after his quarry entered the tavern, they'd never know until they came out again and by then it would be too late.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Arcalane

It would be too late anyway. :mwaha

Also, you'd more likely smell grease used to clean the gun, and maybe lens polish for the scope, rather than the powder. That's just my theory.

Gabi

Check Demonology 101, JP, Gabi's race has enhanced senses. She wouldn't recognize unused gunpowder inside a gun outside a tavern which already has plenty of smells in it, but she can identify an old friend's smell if he's close by.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on August 01, 2006, 07:41:38 PM
Check Demonology 101, JP, Gabi's race has enhanced senses. She wouldn't recognize unused gunpowder inside a gun outside a tavern which already has plenty of smells in it, but she can identify an old friend's smell if he's close by.
Yes, I have retracted that hypothesis - true wolf smell senses would complicate the writing anyway by providing too many shortcuts.  I only hinted at this in the writing, but I figured that the same goes for hearing, which is why I've decided that Jakob should have a frequency cutoff around 30-35khz, which is more than a human but less than a true canine.  (Hence the rambling about treble)

Nikki

Question: Are we going to have Day/Night transitions?

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Gabi

Time does pass, if that's what you're asking. If that's not what you're asking, then I don't know what it is.

Arcalane

Quote from: Xze-Xze on August 01, 2006, 11:16:10 PM
Question: Are we going to have Day/Night transitions?

I think one has already struck, ninja-style. Or maybe pirate-style.

Anyway, everyone who needs to rest, should be resting now. Arc is powernapping, but I figured it was a waste of a post just to say that and not do anything else vaguely important.

Tapewolf

Just a quick note, Paladin, are you sure that a tavern does have rooms?
When I looked 'tavern' up, it seems that it's just a bar, not an inn as such.
If Jakob was going to lodge there, I was going to make him leave the tavern for the inn down the road, but then I realised that Jakob would have some kind of lodgings at SAIA anyway.  (Of course, leaving the inn through the front door poses its own risks)

RJ

I just went with the room things anyway... I don't think it should make a difference. Everyone's going to turn back up at the place in the morning anyway.

Gareeku

Stop nitpicking, Jakob. It can have rooms if people choose.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gareeku on August 03, 2006, 05:39:20 AM
Stop nitpicking, Jakob. It can have rooms if people choose.

Very well - foolish consistency is, as they say, the hobgoblin of small minds.

**EDIT** Just to pre-empt, is there anything else that you would rather I did not do?  I believe I have mentioned on numerous occasions, this is the first time I've done anything like this.

Gareeku

You're fine at the moment, JP. The nitpicking on that occasion just got me a little irked, that's all.

Now Sheridan just needs to edit his post in the RP and we can continue, unless people want to post as well of course. ^.^

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gareeku on August 06, 2006, 10:37:55 AM
You're fine at the moment, JP. The nitpicking on that occasion just got me a little irked, that's all.

I've got to be honest and say that stung.  Nitpicking is troublemaking for its own sake - I was trying to establish whether we were in an Inn (with lodging) or a Tavern (without lodging).  If Paladin says it's an Inn, I'll go along with it and that's perfectly fine so long as we're agreed that there are rooms.  Otherwise you'll get weird continuity errors like the one we have now. :(
A disagreement over whether the party is inside, say, a bungalow or a two-storey house would more blatant, but the same basic thing applies  >:3

QuoteNow Sheridan just needs to edit his post in the RP and we can continue, unless people want to post as well of course. ^.^

Of course the other reason I've been quiet is that I'm not sure whether Sheridan is going to take a pot-shot at Gareeku, or one of the others or something.  Don't want to cause a continuity error.

Gareeku

It may have been a continuity error, but it wasn't an important one. Despite it being an inn, a few people chose to go back to their homes anyway.

Tapewolf

Phew.  I may have taken a few liberties here and there.  Let me know if there are any problems with that and I'll rework it.

**EDIT**
Sheridan, Gareeku, the invisibility field is going to stay roughly in the vicinity of Arc's head.  Jakob can probably keep it up for about 15 seconds which should be long enough for Gareeku to either warp via Li, or get into a crowded area such as the bar, where Arc can't operate without having to taken on the entire pub.

Arcalane

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 06, 2006, 01:19:41 PM
Phew.  I may have taken a few liberties here and there.  Let me know if there are any problems with that and I'll rework it.

**EDIT**
Sheridan, Gareeku, the invisibility field is going to stay roughly in the vicinity of Arc's head.  Jakob can probably keep it up for about 15 seconds which should be long enough for Gareeku to either warp via Li, or get into a crowded area such as the bar, where Arc can't operate without having to taken on the entire pub.

Which, when one is armed with an assault rifle, is not too much of a problem. *cough* Not that he would. Collateral = Unnecessary.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sheridan on August 06, 2006, 01:41:08 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 06, 2006, 01:19:41 PM

Which, when one is armed with an assault rifle, is not too much of a problem. *cough* Not that he would. Collateral = Unnecessary.

I'm sure he could.  But it would be more a case of how-many-people-can-he-get-before-one-of-the-'cubi-decapitates-him, like if Dan ran amok at SAIA.

I was going to add that Gareeku could duck, but that's done now.

Tapewolf

Terribly sorry for the Double-post, but I have to know.  Sheridan, what would Arc have done if Gareeku had said:

(very fast)"Johan Cross was a succubus who had assumed the identity of the long-dead crimelord so that she could take control of the town of Ha'Khun.  When I defeated her by attempting to steal her soul even though I'm not really an incubus I discovered that she was actually being mind-controlled by the insane succubus Charline.  I also met the famous broadcaster Jakob Pettersohn, a famous actor and five other 'cubi in a bar and they all said that they used to be Johan Cross too but I didn't stay to hear if they finished arguing about it."

Arcalane

That's a good question.

And on that note... a quote from IRC!

Quote[Sheridan] ahhh, I love the smell of panic in the morning... >:3

Tapewolf

Tricky.  Jakob's instinct would be to teleport himself back to SAIA, since he knows from Gareeku's thoughts that the merc is after him, but that would leave the 'assassin' to threaten everyone else in the bar.  He could disguise himself as another species, or maybe even impersonate Paladin, but he'd likely start to crack under interrogation.
I think I may just leave him unconscious for now...

**EDIT**
I chose 'assassin!' because it was most likely to galvanise the patrons into some kind of defensive situation.  'Mercenary!' doesn't have quite the same effect..

**EDIT EDIT**
Nice one, Pal.
I'd just like to add that Jakob's headwings will probably have reappeared when he collapsed.  If I can find a way to add that I will.

RJ

I just realised Blaze is the most clueless of any of the characters in this RP... XD

Paladin Sheppard

I wouldn't say clueless just little understanding of the situation.

Arcalane

Ok, now that was OTT character control.

And three-shot, down a corridor like that? Sooner use the whole clip.

Gareeku

I've already spoken and explained to Pal about autohitting. I trust he'll edit the post.

Paladin Sheppard

Gareeku

Paladin, you said your character had enchanted armour, yet i didn't see it in your profile. Therefore, i'm assuming you -don't- have enchanted armour, as it isn't in your profile. Sorry to sound strict, but i don't want people giving their characters stuff that isn't already in their profile.

Paladin Sheppard

Sorry Gareeku I was operating under the assumption that some had read this post by Amber on the old nice forums:

http://nice.purrsia.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=79;t=002656;p=2#000043 (Its the fourth from the bottom)

Most adventurers wear little to no armour and rely a lot more on their own speed and reflexes. Most Creatures have natural weapons that can make short work of any metal-armour and magically enchanced(the kind that can't be unenhanced by a spell) is really expensive to come by...which is why most armoured forces are private bodyguards of those who are rich enough to afford it all. And most adventurers when coming to a choice of having a sword a creature can't break or armour a creature can't break, opt for the offense.

Plain metal armour is really only good if your opponent is another adventurer. With a creature casting elements and spells like no ones buisness, claws that can cut through regular metal and rock, and all other sort of nasties...most adventurers find the best strategy is often to make it really hard to hit them in general.(cause odds are if you are getting blasted full on by an inferno spell, armour or not that is going to make short work of you.)

And the fact that I forgot to mention this in my profile is my mistake and i apologise. I'll ether ammend this or drop out depending on your ruling on this Gareeku..