10/24/08 [Abel 2 #33] - Kill Yourself?

Started by Lego3400, October 24, 2008, 12:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

Quote from: Jer-oh-me on October 26, 2008, 11:15:47 PMCome on surely the musings of a few tame nerds is if not helpful then at least humorous? :U :U :U :U

Just a warning:

I think I can out-nerd you on macroeconomic minutiae.  I don't, partly because I don't see the point, it doesn't seem germane, and I know that Amber's goal is to make a funny comic, not a fictional international system of commerce.  But I mainly avoid it because appears to annoy Amber.

So if you still want to discuss it, I hereby challenge you to a nerd-off on PMs.

(Now where's my duelling glove?)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Jer-oh-me

Quote from: superluser on October 27, 2008, 12:06:41 AM
Quote from: Jer-oh-me on October 26, 2008, 11:15:47 PMCome on surely the musings of a few tame nerds is if not helpful then at least humorous? :U :U :U :U

Just a warning:

I think I can out-nerd you on macroeconomic minutiae.  I don't, partly because I don't see the point, it doesn't seem germane, and I know that Amber's goal is to make a funny comic, not a fictional international system of commerce.  But I mainly avoid it because appears to annoy Amber.

So if you still want to discuss it, I hereby challenge you to a nerd-off on PMs.

(Now where's my duelling glove?)

I'm afraid I must decline your offer as I am currently handicapped by my Wii. Also, my previous comment which you quote was made primarily in jest, & it seems you ignored my response to Corgatha's post. I'm all for ending this whole discourse at Amber's prompting. That is to say that I consider the matter closed & feel a change of subject is in order, so I shall suggest one, what manner of cubi do you think poor Abel's newest aggressor is?

Amber Williams

The main reason I get annoyed isn't so much nerdling discussion so much that several times it comes around to the point that people work themselves so much over the speculation and the details that they start requesting me to come in and sort things out or make a comment.

If you want to nerd it up, I have no issues with it. Just be aware that once it gets to a certain point, I don't really care to keep reading. And that more than likely means I have even less desire to respond or feel like people are expecting me to give answers to questions they spent 3 pages of building up to.

Turnsky

Quote from: Amber Williams on October 27, 2008, 12:21:37 AM
The main reason I get annoyed isn't so much nerdling discussion so much that several times it comes around to the point that people work themselves so much over the speculation and the details that they start requesting me to come in and sort things out or make a comment.

If you want to nerd it up, I have no issues with it. Just be aware that once it gets to a certain point, I don't really care to keep reading. And that more than likely means I have even less desire to respond or feel like people are expecting me to give answers to questions they spent 3 pages of building up to.

that or let them nerd up to the point where they're rabid, then throw them a real curveball plot-wise then observe the carnage. :mwaha

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Aleolus

Quote from: Turnsky on October 27, 2008, 12:23:38 AM
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 27, 2008, 12:21:37 AM

that or let them nerd up to the point where they're rabid, then throw them a real curveball plot-wise then observe the carnage. :mwaha

...that's so ebil  <.<  It's perfect for Amber >.>

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on October 26, 2008, 03:50:28 PM
574, but I see nothing there to indicate whether it's microprocessor controlled, magic controlled or a combination.
Card-reader and feather-touch buttons?  Giving that the benefit of the doubt, the soda cans are certainly mass-produced.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 27, 2008, 05:13:34 AM
Quote from: AmigaDragon on October 26, 2008, 03:50:28 PM
574, but I see nothing there to indicate whether it's microprocessor controlled, magic controlled or a combination.
Card-reader and feather-touch buttons?  Giving that the benefit of the doubt, the soda cans are certainly mass-produced.

... or magically generated to be identical. *cough* </devil's advocate>
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 27, 2008, 06:31:08 AM
If you can do that, trade as a whole starts to become a problem.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 27, 2008, 06:49:17 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 27, 2008, 06:31:08 AM
If you can do that, trade as a whole starts to become a problem.

Yes. But then, trade with a hidden, inaccessible city is a bit problematical to start with, isn't it?

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 27, 2008, 06:53:38 AM
Yes. But then, trade with a hidden, inaccessible city is a bit problematical to start with, isn't it?
Not if they come to you.

llearch n'n'daCorna

You still need to move the trade goods.

And that means large numbers of lifting and flicking back and forth. Which either means a very good teleportation spell, or a big trail in and out.

I'm inclined to go with the former, myself, but it's all a bit hand-wavey...

Ghostwish

*WARNING: Incoming Harry Potter Reference!!!*

Hogwarts didn't have much trade coming into it either...

Tezkat

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 27, 2008, 07:32:36 AM
You still need to move the trade goods.

And that means large numbers of lifting and flicking back and forth. Which either means a very good teleportation spell, or a big trail in and out.

I'm inclined to go with the former, myself, but it's all a bit hand-wavey...

Or a population of several thousand Warp-Acis... :animesweat

Transportation would most likely be handled in-house anyway due to secrecy concerns.
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Attic Rat

I think Fa'lina would be quite comfortable saying "Gonna kill yourself?"

And to geek out just a tad more: Why would Cubi willingly quench their thirst drinking from cans purchased from Beings? Do not most Beings wish to destroy those evil soul-eating Cubi? That seems to be the general theme behind the whole "Adventurer" thing. I would vote for "Handwavium" here. The sparkling beverages simply appear from nowhere and taste all the better for it. This load of geekish dumpsterchow provided free of charge by:

Whoever the heck I am this week.
With mallets aforethought.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

superluser

Quote from: Attic Rat on October 27, 2008, 10:59:47 PMI think Fa'lina would be quite comfortable saying "Gonna kill yourself?"

Why wouldn't she have said it before, then?

Quote from: Attic Rat on October 27, 2008, 10:59:47 PMAnd to geek out just a tad more: Why would Cubi willingly quench their thirst drinking from cans purchased from Beings?

Simple: Because it tastes sooooo goooood.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

DeedaeicMess

I'm reminded of a lyric suggested by a certain stand-up comic...

:kirby "KILL MYSELF- KILLMYSELF! SLASH MY WRIST- SLASHMYWRIST!"

XD

But seriously... My first thought was Aniz... But then I'm sort of lame. I don't have the level of speculative powaa as most people on this site. (I'd LOVE to see the theories people here could come up with if they became fans of Guilty Gear.)

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 27, 2008, 06:55:52 AM
Not if they come to you.

that brings whole different levels of economics into play, suffice to say, i'd say that SAIA is largely self-sufficient to an extent, and leave it at that, and we can just go back to enjoying ze Comic like amber wishes.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Anri

Not THAT hidden and inaccessible. I mean the rats, they have a network. It has a basement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tikki on October 28, 2008, 10:44:26 AM
Not THAT hidden and inaccessible. I mean the rats, they have a network. It has a basement.

Yeah, but the rats aren't carting in hundreds of tons of foodstuffs. :-P

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 28, 2008, 11:30:27 AM
Yeah, but the rats aren't carting in hundreds of tons of foodstuffs. :-P
I was going to let this die, but FWIW I had teleportation in mind.  Still, if no-one wants to discuss it I might use the ideas myself...

llearch n'n'daCorna

... mostly I'm arguing the obverse position just because I can... ;-]

Naldru

Quote from: superluser on October 27, 2008, 11:15:56 PM
Quote from: Attic Rat on October 27, 2008, 10:59:47 PMAnd to geek out just a tad more: Why would Cubi willingly quench their thirst drinking from cans purchased from Beings?
Simple: Because it tastes sooooo goooood.

Who says the students at SAIA pay for the drinks?  :rolleyes Maybe the so-called vending machine is just a teleportation device that grabs goods from a store in Furrae upon command.   :)  I would assume that the store rooms at Lost Lake are off-limits though.  The idea of being a shoplifter and having Destania and Alexsis visit would be a little frightening.  :erk
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Actually, Abel states that "since only about 5 percent of the Academy eats food, all meal plans and drinks are free"
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.