Anyone out there into anime?

Started by silentassassin, October 10, 2008, 02:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silentassassin

Just curious since a couple of quotes near the top of the page have anime lines.

Kipiru

I was into anime up to about a year ago, but now I've kind of stepped back as I started getting more and more frustrated and disappointed by the obvious inability of the Japanese to place a decent ending or development of a romantic story within a non-romantic storyline.

Zina

Quote from: Kipiru on October 10, 2008, 03:09:33 AM
I was into anime up to about a year ago, but now I've kind of stepped back as I started getting more and more frustrated and disappointed by the obvious inability of the Japanese to place a decent ending or development of a romantic story within a non-romantic storyline.

Because this is the fault of the Japanese and not the writer.

For shame, Japan!

superluser

Quote from: Zina on October 10, 2008, 04:32:31 AMBecause this is the fault of the Japanese and not the writer.

Well, the fault of the publisher, anyway.  Bad writers are a dime a dozen.  You can't blame the grass for existing, but you can blame the person who wants to make a bouquet of grass.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zina

Quote from: superluser on October 10, 2008, 04:35:34 AM
Quote from: Zina on October 10, 2008, 04:32:31 AMBecause this is the fault of the Japanese and not the writer.

Well, the fault of the publisher, anyway.  Bad writers are a dime a dozen.  You can't blame the grass for existing, but you can blame the person who wants to make a bouquet of grass.

Thank goodness Japan is the only place where bad writers are able to get published.

Everywhere else in the world you only find quality.

Janus Whitefurr

This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Ren Gaulen

This hand of mine is burning red!
Its loud roar tells me to grasp victory!
ERUPTING BURNING FINGER!!!

Zina

:V
Korori~

Janus Whitefurr

This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Zina

Ren Gaulen

"BIG O! It's SHOW TIME!!"
Those who know will understand.. :3

Brunhidden

Quote from: Zina on October 10, 2008, 05:25:47 AM
Quote from: superluser on October 10, 2008, 04:35:34 AM

Thank goodness Japan is the only place where bad writers are able to get published.

Everywhere else in the world you only find quality.

Fun fact- one of the more recent phenomenon to hit japan is cellphone novels. that is, novels WRITTEN on cellphones. theyre usually juvenile attempts at romance novels, making them a form of double trash, mega trash, or possibly trash from space.

however keep in mind that the reason so much of anime seems weird is the culture diffrences, theres HUNDREDS of anime that never touch american shores because theyre just too foreign in concept. think of why in random anime your bitter enemy will suddenly become your staunch ally, why you excecute this person for a petty offence but you tolerate this other guy doing everything short of anal rape.

a good illustration is an anime none of you have probably ever or will ever see. Gokudo, i loved that anime, mostly because the main character was a selfcentered asshole and everyone else just kind of dragged him along while they were trying to be almost heroic. in the begining Gokudo is a very western style setting- gokudo himself is a swordsman from an empire which could be mistaken for central europe, the weapons and armor reek of western fantasy settings. however as the show progresses they add more and more far east elements, although its obvious they had quite a few from the get go- such as the king of dumplings (dont ask, but he has a great themesong) and the way people even in europia dress. near the end theyre obviously so far into japan you would have to add more land on to japan to fit it all, like australia sized add on- suddenly every building looks like a pagoda, shinto gods insult you in very infantile ways, gold coins have shifted from coin shaped to that weird oval with lines on it, food has lost anything even resembling bread to replace it entirely with rice things and sushi.... near the end its even revealed that most of the supporting cast is in fact animal demons, like you havent seen THAT in everything from japan... yeah, they even make fun of goku the monkey king.

watching the transition is an interesting and oddly subtle affair- as they are in tropical island areas and a distintly mideast/egypt style setting just about everything still reeks of japan... its a little irritating if you dont know everything japanese and why things are the way they are, but keep in mind japan is the most xenophobic place on earth so when they portray anywhere else they have to add chopsticks, rice balls, and that funny belt thing they wear over there or the original japanese audience will freak and run for the hills

dont get me wrong, i love many things that are japanese, i just think its funny how some of this works..... and now i wish i had a way to rent anime as i have no way to buy it and no way to get it on TV
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Sunblink

I think One Piece is pretty awesome.

I'm so glad they're redubbing it. :>

Ren Gaulen

Watch "Hokuto no Ken" aka "Fist of the North Star". It will blow your mind (or make your head explode).

Alondro

*paraphrases*  This ass of mine is burning red!  BLEEDING HEMORRHOIDS!!   :giggle

FLCL was awesome and weird.

Bleach is awesome.

Naruto is sometimes awesome.

One Piece is pretty goofy, but has some awesome.

D Grayman was awesome (it got ended, just as the story was getting to the real twists, now I must follow the manga)

Digimon Season 3 (Tamers Saga) was totally awesome!  And Renamon is HOT!  Foxy lady!  Wooooo!! 

*numerous people*   :erk

Uhm, and then there was "Kekkaishi", which also ended too soon.  It was another good one.  And "Mushishi", with very good artwork and sad stories.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, forgot about Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Beebopp, Full Metal Alchemist, Tsubasa Chronicles, Xxxholic, Black Blood Brothers (vampires that weren't emo all the time!) and even Wolf's Rain... though it had the most depressing storyline ever (EVERYBODY DIED)

And let's not forget the ultimate classic Akira.

And then there's Miazaki's films.

And Osamu Tezuka, whom I'm certain would have been a furry were he alive today!   :3

Damn, if I had money I'd have a friggin WALL of anime!
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Zina

Quote from: Brunhidden on October 10, 2008, 08:44:17 AM
but keep in mind japan is the most xenophobic place on earth so when they portray anywhere else they have to add chopsticks, rice balls, and that funny belt thing they wear over there or the original japanese audience will freak and run for the hills

Actually, I have to disagree.

In fact, I'm going to have to say that's more than just a little racist.

On one hand, yes Japan is very xenophobic. On the other hand, a lot of western things(tv shows, movies, music, animations, food, fashions) are very popular in Japan. Japanese (especially the younger generation) is fascinated by western culture, and sometimes will seek to emulate it.
Western movies are shown here with Japanese subtitles(dubbed, if it's a kid's movie), and they know American actors and musicians. Western music singles are popular here, and American movies are shown on TV. And the average Japanese citizen knows exactly what's happening in America because the news ALWAYS has a segment dedicated to American and western news in general.
Yes, they have misconceptions and stereotypes when regarding the rest of the world, and some Japanese still have the mentality that there's only two races out there, Japanese and Not Japanese. But they're not going to run or freak out if they run into something that isn't Japanese in origin. In fact, they'll probably embrace it.
To say they need to add chopsticks and rice balls in order to enjoy something or else they'll be afraid of it is just absolutely ignorant.

Mao

I'm enjoying Fate/Stay Night right now and I'm waiting to finish Samurai Champloo and Sayuki Reload.  I also keep an eye on Bleach and Naruto (Mainly because of my fondness for the characters Neiji and Hinata) but I'm fine with the crappy edit/translations that YTV does on those because the stories don't draw me in a whole bunch.  I've been watching imported anime since I was a little kid (age 6 ish) so about 20 years now.  I'm a pretty picky guy though.  I maybe watch 1-2 series a year as a result.

Myxini

superluser

Quote from: Zina on October 10, 2008, 09:34:22 AM
Quote from: Brunhidden on October 10, 2008, 08:44:17 AMbut keep in mind japan is the most xenophobic place on earth so when they portray anywhere else they have to add chopsticks, rice balls, and that funny belt thing they wear over there or the original japanese audience will freak and run for the hills
Actually, I have to disagree.

In fact, I'm going to have to say that's more than just a little racist.

That is a very well-thought out argument, and it would be a shame to ruin it by posting a lame counterargument.

Then again, I am filled with shame:

(On a tangent, if I found a copy of Reign: The Conqueror at Best Buy, I would buy it)

silentassassin

Ok seems like I've started an anime beatdown session. Another example of anime ending rigjt as was getting good gantz and berserk. I haven't tried reading through the berserk manga, though I should. In gantz to me it has a compelling story, a bit of romance later on, and loads of alien blasting action. Dang anime makers couldn't just end it on the manga no they made a filler ending after the third alien battle.

Ryudo Lee

I dropped several hundred bucks for all episodes, plus the movie, of Cowboy Bebop... and then again for the Trigun box set.  I haven't purchased anime in bulk since.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

superluser

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on October 10, 2008, 12:09:47 PMI dropped several hundred bucks for all episodes, plus the movie, of Cowboy Bebop... and then again for the Trigun box set.  I haven't purchased anime in bulk since.

If my memory serves me, you got hosed.  Cowboy Bebop did not cost more than $200.  Each disc would have to be around $30 for that to be true, and I'm pretty sure I got them for $20 apiece.

Ryudo Lee

This was years ago though, back after it started appearing on Adult Swim, and I took an interest in it.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Kipiru

Trigun forever! Vash is the ultimate freak! No other series combines comedy and gun fights so well!

Ren Gaulen

I also want to mention the "Outlaw Star", which is great. Also, I have watched "Vision of Escaflowne" recently, and it was very good too.

Jack McSlay

when I think animes. first things that comes into my mind is giant robots. second thing is...

(let's see how many will recognize it)
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Jack McSlay on October 10, 2008, 01:31:12 PM
when I think animes. first things that comes into my mind is giant robots. second thing is...
*picture*
(let's see how many will recognize it)
"GRIFFITH!!!! D:<"

superluser

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on October 10, 2008, 12:38:56 PMThis was years ago though, back after it started appearing on Adult Swim, and I took an interest in it.

1999/2000/2001 or so?  I'm referring to the same time period.

Lysander

I would love to watch/read more Berserk, my brother borrowed the anime and I was onle able to see a couple dvds.

Some anime I love:

Evangellion
Bleach
Tsubasa
Fruits Basket (one of many they didn't finish as anime so I'm reading the manga)
Orphen
Spiral (another they only continue in the manga)
Full Metal Alchemist (I'd recommend both anime and manga as the manga become completely different after volume 3/season 1)
Balr Force OVA (game is most awesome as well)
Tales of Symphonia OVA (also an awesome game)

A friend of mine went on a couple foreign exchange programs to Japan and living there made him grow to like dramas more and some other genres less.
TytajLucheek

Vidar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnVCYOUB0gY

This hand of mine glows with an awesome POWER!!!!
It's burning grip tells me to defeat you!
Take this! My LOVE! My ANGER!
AND ALL OF MY SORROW!!!!
SHINING FINGER!!!!!
GO! GO! GO!

Yeah, some of it is quite bad.

On the plus side, we have things such as Akira, Steam Boy, and everything of Studio Gibli. Totoro rules!
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</