CastlevaniaRL 1.2 Released

Started by Slash, July 08, 2006, 07:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slash

Hello all! I am Slash, the creator of CastlevaniaRL

I just released a new version with lots of improvements, including music, FOV... and lots of bugfixes :p

Some major features are:
* Circular field of view
* Music and sound
* 2.5D functionality
* Targeted actions in any direction
* Variable speed actions
* Weapon modifiers
* Level system
* In game item descriptions
* Action validation
* Enhanced character generation screen
* Items on level generation
* JCurses initialization errors fixed

Find it at http://crl.santiagoz.com

And wow! The new forum looks great!

Thanks!

--
Slash

Netami

Rowne

When I saw RL at the end of that, it didn't really click.  Yes, I'm a Nethack geek (who isn't?) but I expected some kind of anecdote based around 'Real Life' instead.  I was stunned to see it's a Rogue-alike and such an unholy marriage between these two games and styles of games could be a work of genius.

I'm especially impressed that you've made it in Java so that people can poke at your code.  I noticed you haven't given it a license yet though, so I gather it's in early beta but I'm definitely going to give it a spin, simply because of what it is.

Slash

Quote from: Rowne on July 17, 2006, 11:31:54 PM
I'm especially impressed that you've made it in Java so that people can poke at your code. I noticed you haven't given it a license yet though, so I gather it's in early beta but I'm definitely going to give it a spin, simply because of what it is.

Well, it's been around for a while so its pretty stable but yes.... I haven't tought too much on licensing yet...

The first versions had their bytecode obfuscated, but since 1.1d I decided to leave it clean... I must say tho that I am not too much into open source, and perhaps next versions will be obfuscated again... I must give this topic some thought ;)

Rowne

Quote from: Slash on July 18, 2006, 12:11:55 AMWell, it's been around for a while so its pretty stable but yes.... I haven't tought too much on licensing yet...

Don't worry too much about it, unless you're going to include a more liberal license (a copyleft, so to speak) then licensing isn't really nessescary.  In most countries, if something doesn't have a license and it doesn't explicitly say that it's public domain, it's considered to be copyrighted material and you have the same rights to protect your material that you would have had if you'd spelled out a very exact copyright notice.

Quote from: Slash on July 18, 2006, 12:11:55 AMI must say tho that I am not too much into open source,

Your software and therefore your choice, o'course!  No one can take that from you.

Though may I ask why?  I'm not going to start a debate or argue the fact with you, that's not my intent.  It seems as thought the RL community has efforts and works which almost entirely fly under the Free banner.

It seems a little odd to be aware of Roguelikes and yet to not like the open-source movement.

It might just be that you're protective and you fear your work being stolen and that's perfectly okay.  Like I said, I'm just curious.  I'm always curious about game developers who provide free entertainment and their choices as far as use and distribution allowances are concerned.

I'm a total geek, I'm like that.

Slash

Quote from: Rowne on July 18, 2006, 01:18:45 AM
Though may I ask why?  I'm not going to start a debate or argue the fact with you, that's not my intent.  It seems as thought the RL community has efforts and works which almost entirely fly under the Free banner.

It's not too much about being protective, I just want to keep some things secret and not spoiled in my game, which may be obvious if somebody gets to inspect the source code; also, I dont like variants too much, as I think they destroyed what Angband is, in certain way. Yes these may be the same arguments Thomas Biskup has for ADoM :p

However, I am aware of the advantages of open source... I myself had to fix a bug into JCurses to get the game working without hassles, I also lost the sources of an old shooter and they are lost forever... right now my decision is to keep it like this and keep my standing on variants or derived work from it. (I dont "approve" them :p)

Quote from: Rowne on July 18, 2006, 01:18:45 AM
I'm a total geek, I'm like that.
Hehe, thats good.